Posted at 7:34 AM ET, 07/30/2007

Morning Mix: Usher Cancels Weekend Wedding

By Liz Kelly

Update, 11:28 a.m. ET: Talk-show host Tom Snyder dead at 71.

Headlines: Usher cancels weekend wedding plans, heads home to mom... Former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey officiates at Steve Martin's weekend wedding... Eddie Murphy proposes to girlfriend Tracey Edmonds... Paris Hilton joins cast of musical thriller... Britney Spears works the stripper pole in her new music video... YouTube yanks videos of Beyonce's fall... Spice Girls add three shows to reunion tour... Kiss singer Paul Stanley's heart keeps him from rock-and-rolling all night... Nicolas Cage and son unveil comic book... Jerry Garcia's kitchen sink for sale... Ozzy Osbourne briefly hospitalized in Denver... Actress Rebecca Schaeffer's ("My Sister Sam") murderer stabbed in prison... Swedish film director Ingmar Bergman dies at 89...

Rumor Mill: Bono and Penelope Cruz?... Christina Aguilera cancels two Australia concerts... Dave Chappelle spotted yet again in D.C.

Bonus Video: Christopher Walken cooks. Really.

Query: Did anyone watch "The Two Coreys?" Despite getting revved up by Monica Hesse's Saturday Style tribute to Haim and Feldman, I missed Sunday night's show. How was it? Worth a watch on the DVR?

By Liz Kelly  | July 30, 2007; 7:34 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: Better Off Dead
Next: Comment Box: Usher's Cold Feet, Eddie Haskell and More

Comments

I am not buying the Bono/Penelope story. If it is true, which I hope not, she should probably get ready for a smack down from an Irish girl. Not me of course, his wife.

However, I doubt it that it is true. He is a very touchy feely person.

Posted by: Irish girl | July 30, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

One word about the two coreys...contrived. For a reality show, the (horrific) acting was way too obvious.

Posted by: Kim | July 30, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

We watched the Two Coreys last night. Yikes. Train wreck. But we couldn't turn it off--watched both episodes. And I agree with Kim above that it was contrived and acting . . . I'd say you're better off doing something else besides watching this show.

Posted by: Jane | July 30, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

On some gossip website, I had read that the girl that Martin married was 33 and on Names & Faces, she's 42.

Posted by: C. | July 30, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: C. | July 30, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Usher learned from the Britney Spears' mistake. If your mother tells you that your boyfriend/girlfriend is down right crooked, believe her. Your mother does not you moving back home with a broken-heart and empty bank account.

Posted by: Lisa1 | July 30, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

i agree w/irish girl about bono and penelope cruz. he is very touchy feely...i saw him in a music video (when the stars go blue) w/the corrs and you would have thought he was dancing w/his wife. i think he's the kind of guy who makes every woman feel like they're cherished and important.
i'd share my yacht w/him any day.

re: britney's pole dance photos...oh my. poor poor britney.

Posted by: methinks | July 30, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Two Corey's was painful. Feldman has obviously tried very hard to get his life on track and grow as an adult in a selfish world...Haim still thinks he's 16 and hot. I'm embarrassed I thought he was cute in License to Drive...What was I thinking???

Posted by: 80's Kid | July 30, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Dave Chappelle just bought his iPhone at the Apple Store at Tyson's.

Posted by: T | July 30, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Can somebody clue me in? Is Usher's gfriend a golddigger or plain ol' bad news?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 30, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

T -- can you send me more info about the Chappelle sighting at celebritology@washingtonpost.com?

Posted by: Liz | July 30, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

So glad that usher cancelled the wedding...why he wanted to marry a 40 yr old woman with three children is beyond me...not that single mothers don't need love too. I'm just saying...Usher...why????

Posted by: luv this blog | July 30, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Um, I thought that Chappelle bought his iphone from the Apple Store in Tysons LAST WEEK! Two girls called DC101 who worked there last Wed or Thurs morning I think.

Posted by: Betty | July 30, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

usher looks about 20 years younger than that woman he was sked. to wed this weekend. i'm glad he called it off. he needs to get back w/chili. they were a beautiful couple.

Posted by: methinks | July 30, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I've never heard of a wedding being canceled just because an usher didn't show.

All that fuss and money wasted because of one lousy usher. I mean, they could easily have asked someone like the groom's cousin or the bride's future brother-in-law to take the place of the absent guy, right?

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | July 30, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I also heard on DC101 last week a couple of callers saying how Chappelle went to the Apple Store to buy an iPhone.

Someone claiming to have a friend in Prince William County law enforcement also called in claiming that his friend took Chappelle to PWC Hospital to have him committed around 3:00 am one morning. That caller didn't seem very credible. I believe the PWC hospital call was before the iPhone call, but on the same day.

Posted by: chappelle | July 30, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Good for Tracy Edmonds...I am no so sure I can overlook my boyfriend/fiance publically insinuating that his baby mama is a wh*re. Good for her.

Posted by: st.louis | July 30, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Please don't watch shows like the Two Coreys. Then maybe they will stop putting on shows like the Two Coreys.

Man, a lot of people are being very judgy about age of these couples. Live and let live.

Posted by: Amy | July 30, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to Steve Martin! He's a really cool guy.

I think Eddie Murphy is real quick to get engaged. Wasn't he also engaged to Scary Spice after a rather short period of time? Look how well that relationship went.

Posted by: jlr | July 30, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Usher's girlfriend lied about having an ex-husband and three kids and was arrested twice(once for welfare fraud). She won't help pay for her mother's false teeth.

Posted by: Lisa1 | July 30, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Mrs. Bono has watched him cavort with about 50 billion female fans onstage during the concerts - I think she's probably used to the idea of Bono being touchy-feely by now.

Posted by: h3 | July 30, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh Britney...While I am not your friend, I will be honest. Hon, you gotta stop this. It's freaking me out.

Posted by: ex cap | July 30, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Murphy is a freak show!!! He needs to grown up! I cant believe Tracy Edmonds (and why has she not changed her name... FAME WH*RE!!!) is marrying him. Maybe she too is a nut job. He needs to own up to responsibility he has a baby with Melanie B. Im glad she exposed him and his ridiculous behavior!

Posted by: dollie4 | July 30, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

in the past, I have joked that I would watch Christopher Walken in just about anything.

now I can seriously say that I would watch him cook chicken.

Brilliant! the man is PURE genius.

Posted by: OD | July 30, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

When oh when did a stripper pole become the new must-have accessory? When did being a stripper become something to emulate? Women, wake UP!

And what's with the ever-present hole in Brit's fishnets? Too tacky!

As for Tracy Edmonds, remember that women were lining up to marry O.J. after he KILLED two people, so I guess to some women what Eddie Murphy did is nothing.

Posted by: Stop the stripper pole madness | July 30, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

So the stripper pole pictures are or aren't the "career killing" photos from the OK shoot?

Posted by: confused | July 30, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

No, the stripper pole photos are from the video shoot Britney went to AFTER the OK photo shoot...

Posted by: Alison in TN | July 30, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

so glad Usher came to his senses- from other stories it sounds like Tameka Foster has a shady past and has not been exactly honest about it.

Did not watch the 2 coreys did not know they had a show!

I don't think Tracy Edmonds cares a bit about Eddie's past/present tranny encounters or the baby-mama-drama w/Scary Spice. This will be her second time walking down the aisle w/someone who will bolster her career- what a great hustle!

Posted by: plamar1031 | July 30, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

So you have Nic Cage, a lousy actor whose presence in any film is basically reason enough for me NOT to watch even when it (inevitably) comes to cable, and then you add in that he will NEVER comment in Highbrow, and add that he is where he is because of his family connections, hidden under a "stealthy" name change...

Given all this, why am I oddly touched that he is making a comic book with his son, and SO d*mned happy about it? Looking at the photo (and factoring in that the kid wants to play one of the VILLANS in the movie version, should there be one), I assume that the child is difficult and/or distant from his glam parents and in rebellion. And yet, there is Nic communing with his kid, lending his weight and fame to support one of the boy's pet projects.

I mean, I STILL won't go see any of his movies, but I am just a teeny bit impressed. It's like he's making an effort at least, and that counts for something.

Posted by: Bogota | July 30, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see the Corey show, but I saw both of them on Larry King a couple of weeks ago. They were sort of pathetic.

Their time came and their time went.

Now we just need someone to tell them.

Posted by: Kendra | July 30, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Their time came and their time went.

Now we just need someone to tell them.

Posted by: Kendra | July 30, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Their time came and their time went.

Now we just need someone to tell them.

Posted by: Kendra | July 30, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Say what you want about Nic Cage; he gets $20M per picture, he owns a castle each in England and Bavaria, a private island in the Bahamas, and numerous houses elsewhere. Pretty good for family connections and a stealthy name change.

Posted by: Stick | July 30, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Paris Hilton is doing opera? What next, Britney wins an Academy for Best Dramatic Role?

In other news, Hell is reporting a record low of 32 degrees F.

Posted by: Mason Patriot | July 30, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse