Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 08/15/2007

Ethan Hawke: Ladykiller

By Liz Kelly

The smooth-as-stucco Ethan Hawke. (AP)

My dislike of Ethan Hawke was solidified several years ago when reading a Jane Magazine article in which Hawke -- at the time married to a pregnant Uma Thurman -- said men were not meant for monogamy and that his eye had a tendency to wander. This guy, I said to myself, is a jerk. That opinion was confirmed when news of Hawke's extra-marital dalliances led to the couple's ultimate divorce. Hawke's unapologetic take on the break-up:

"Martin Luther King Jr. suffered from infidelity, so did John F. Kennedy. You're more likely to find great leadership coming from a man who likes to have sex with a lot of women than one who's monogamous."

Oh, thanks for that light bulb moment, Ethan. Get the Swedish bikini team to the White House, stat.

In the intervening years, Hawke hasn't done much to shake my low opinion of his mating game philosophy or his work. And, in the latest issue of Blackbook magazine, Hawke is back with more advice for men on the make:

"The guys who get the most play with women are the ones who are the most cavalier with them," he says. "That's always been my experience. You don't have to be good-looking to get a lot of ass. History has taught us that."

Well, Ethan, history has also taught us that you are a pretentious twit whose career peaked at the tender age of 18 (almost 20 years ago for those not inclined to do the math).

That's all.

By Liz Kelly  | August 15, 2007; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Spears Divorce Docs May Be Unsealed
Next: Morning Mix: Foxy Brown Whacks Neighbor with Blackberry

Comments

Kate Hudson and Ethan Hawke...match made in heaven?

Posted by: Joe Bob | August 15, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Has he been in anything since Reality Bites?

Posted by: Ew | August 15, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Testing.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Okay, why did testing work, but my other posting won't show up? Is there a length requirement?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Didn't need this today when I just found about my husband is another EF-ing Ethan. Men are sh#$@.

Posted by: Trying it again | August 15, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Ugh--and that novel? And I think there might have been another after that.

Posted by: Kelli | August 15, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

So that's why "nice guys finish last"? If only we were more cavalier with women, we'd get as much tail as Ethan?

Thinking on it, there might be some weird truth to that. I've been very loyal, honest, and hard-working, and only dated a handful of women in my 34 years. My brother-in-law has been much more careful about it, and has several handfuls (and one divorce) to show for it.

Why is that?

Posted by: Disposable Pet | August 15, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This quote...

...reminds me of a line from a commercial parody on SCTV: "They laughed at Edison, they laughed at the Wright Brothers, they laughed at Einstein... they're laughing at me so I MUST be a genius!"

And actually Liz, it gave me an idea for a suggested Friday list: GREATEST CELEBRITY QUOTES. Lots of different directions you could go depending on your definition of "great" but I'd love to see a list of about 100 more like those that came from His Omigodness Ethan.

Posted by: Margo | August 15, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"Carefree", not "Careful"... still on my second cup of coffee, so I'm not awake yet.

Posted by: Disposable Pet | August 15, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Getting a lot of ass and being a lot of ass, simultaneously. What a guy.

Posted by: RunUmaRun | August 15, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DJ | August 15, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Liz, but there's a typo in the second-to-last sentence. You used an "i" when you should have used an "a."

Posted by: LongTimeHawkeHater | August 15, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

the good news is that uma is no longer married to ethan, the bad news is that he fathered two of her children, (i think just two.) i also heard at the time of the breakup that uma's brothers publicly said they wanted to kick ethans scrawnly little arse for the way he treated their sister. i thought that was very gentlemanly of them.

and one more thing, one does not "suffer from" infidelity, one "chooses" it. the person who suffers from infidelity is the person being cheated on.

Posted by: methinks | August 15, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear your husband's a jerk, Trying it again.

And Hawke does have, for whoever was wondering where his career has gone since Reality Bites, three more good credits; Gattaca, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. However, he's a pretentious twit in all three.

Posted by: Joseph J. Finn | August 15, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"Great" men have "suffered" from infidelity, not because they are great but because they are famous and therefore, more popular (in terms of women wanting to sleep with them).

Posted by: brij | August 15, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Bottom line is Ethan is swarmy and desrves a good fist in his face. If that moron would cheat on Uma Thurman, who is drop dead gorgious, he deserves an a$$ kicking.

Posted by: Melissa | August 15, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Ethan said something similar on ET awhile ago. I thought he was a bitter because he was the former "Mr. Uma Thurman", lost his kids and his career was in the toilet.
I guess Ethan is still bitter and has made being a @#$ his career.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 15, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't he in a movie with Angelina too?

Anyway, cheaters always cheat, so if you are married to one, dump them.

Posted by: Irish girl | August 15, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"Ick, is that him? He's actually sneering in that picture. I'm sorry, but you are but a poor man's Christian Bale.

Posted by: DJ | August 15, 2007 11:27 AM"

DJ, that's not a sneer, that's his nasty teeth pushing his mouth like that. It probably all stems from the lack of shampoo and soap the 'boy' used.

I hate him. He gives me a reason to hate him, it's not just that he's f'ing ugly. What a jerk.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I had a crush on him since Great Expectations, but now, I think he's a total ________. There is no word strong enough.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

WHAT A DISGUSTING PIG! I never much liked him, but now I HATE him! Poor, poor Uma.

Posted by: Alexandria | August 15, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alexandria | August 15, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I love you people. (But he was good in Great Expectations.)

Posted by: h3 | August 15, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Frankly I'm amazed that he was Uma. He's clearly a major a#$hole.

Posted by: petal | August 15, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

And, um, what's with the smarmy-looking hair-do? Ick.

Posted by: Another H | August 15, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The truth hurts. I know a lot of jerks over whom the women swoon. I know a lot of funny, decent-looking guys whom the women "love" as friends. UGH!

Posted by: stop whining | August 15, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I recently watched the extras on the Reality Bites DVD where Ethan talks about his character Troy being so unlikeable and being baffled and amused that people automatically assumed he was just like Troy. Hopefully he was kidding? Everything I've ever read/heard about the guy is completely unlikeable!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually, he was in Training Day, which did decent box-office. I think he deserves all the contempt that can be heaped upon him for his "philosophy," but it's also fair to say that he's not a hypocrite. Tom Cruise still holds the title of biggest slimeball in Hollywood for surprising Nicole Kidman with divorce papers when she was pregnant with their child. Yeah, he'll "always love Nick."

Posted by: ZF | August 15, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if he will still hold to that if his daughter is cheated on.

Posted by: MGC | August 15, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Ew. He's just icky. I feel like I need a shower. Gross. He gives all men a bad name.

Posted by: Boston | August 15, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Joseph J. Finn. But I'm finding that most men are.

Posted by: Trying it again. | August 15, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

My, my, we have a cranky bunch of man haters gathered here, today. Is this all really about Ethan, or did everyone get up on the wrong side of the life? ;-)

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | August 15, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ethan is just further proof that men are jerks. Not hating. Just the truth.

Posted by: Trying it again. | August 15, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Okay maybe it's not completely rational, but I'm pissed off today, so, I'm allowed.

Posted by: Trying it again. | August 15, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I loved "Before Sunset" and "Before Sunrise." They are great movies.
And I really can't stand "Uma", but she was with him in "The Tape" which is a really great movie, too.
Ya know, lots of great actors fooled around. I know the truth hurts. I still love Gary Cooper even though he got Patricia Neal pregnant and then ditched her.

Posted by: POS | August 15, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Trying it again: Sorry, your husband is a @#$ and hope he gets a STD that his insurance won't cover, but not all men are jerks. There are some decent ones out there.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 15, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Nice guys really do seem to finish last, where women are concerned.

I couldn't count all the women who have told me that they're over the bad boys, the macho jerks, and the inconsiderate clods, and that what they really want is someone kind, sweet, funny, and smart.

And the next time I see them, two or three weeks later, these same women are dating another crazed and insensitive macho bonehead. Wasn't it Albert Einstein who said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting a different outcome?

Posted by: niceFLguy | August 15, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lisa1. That made me smile. (Is that mean?)

Posted by: Trying it again. | August 15, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Trying It Again: Have you stopped to consider that maybe it's you? One man may be a jerk, but if all "Men are sh#$@", perhaps you should take a long look in the mirror.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

He's right. He's a complete d*ck with no career to speak of, but he's definitely correct about women wanting someone who is cavalier. I've seen and experienced it many, many times. They may eventually end up with a nice guy after having been treated like crap for years with various Ethan Hawke types, but the guy who is unavailable, doesn't call, may be out with other girls and isn't going to commit will always have girls who are chasing/pining for him.

Posted by: Striker | August 15, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. No, I don't have battered-woman syndrome. Not going to blame myself for HIS cheating. My declaration that all men are sh@#$, is more than anything from observing relationships of others I know. Also, was angry and I admitted being irrational.

Posted by: Trying it again. | August 15, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, Ethan is a grease ball who now also appears to be a not so very attractive on the inside kind of guy. BLEH. At least he is public about it so that women know what they are getting in to if they choose to be with him.

As for nice guys finishing last - I am falling truely madly and deeply with a spectacularly nice guy. I'd like to think that I am enough of a catch that he considers himself finishing at least second if not first :).. NICE GUYS RULE!

Posted by: falling in love with a nice boy | August 15, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't think everyone woke up on the wrong side of life. Who hasn't dated an Ethan?! It's an attitude mroe commonly attributed towards men, and I don't personally know any girls that are deliberately mean to guys to keep their attention, but I'm sure that happens too. I have a lot of male friends that sometimes act like that though. His ideas on dating are stupid and mean, no matter his gender. I feel like I always suspected he was a jerk and Liz confirmed it! Thanks for educating me on this Liz, so I don't reward his box office! I don't go running out to the movies of that guy who left Mary Louise Parker either (are there movies? I can't remember his name!).

Posted by: Sigh | August 15, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Shame on you, byoolin. Usually you're funny but that was just mean.....

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

That 1:21 byoolin post ("Have you stopped to consider that maybe it's you?") wasn't byoolin.

I know, because I'm byoolin. And I didn't post it.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, usually yo're funny, but that was a little mean. :( She got CHEATED on, of course she's going to hate all men right now, it's part of recovery. Also, back to celebs, when Tom Cruise left Nicole Kidman, was she pregnant? I totally missed that...

Posted by: Sigh | August 15, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, anonymous poster person. Usually I *am* funny (thank you).

Someone is co-opting me.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh, all forgiven real byoolin. An imposter!!! Intrigue..

Posted by: Sigh | August 15, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I suspect my mother. I haven't called in a while.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

lmao

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

See? THAT was me.

Bollocks to my inadequate imposter.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

i married perhaps the nicest guy ever...but then i always had a lot of self-esteem. bad boys? what you see is what you get.

i recall ethan said the he and uma never really had a "Real" marriage. that they lived in hotels and basically took turns raising the kids while the other made a movie. not that THAT excuses his quotes/behavoir. the funny part is that he is equating his actions to those of JFK or MLK, but what great thing has HE done for his country? he's a crappy actor with waaaay too high an opinion of himself.

Posted by: wats | August 15, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Liz sounds like my 70+ mother with her antiquated notions. It is time to realize that not everyone (male & female) share those values and they are not creeps for wanting to "play the field." Monogamy should be valued and Ethan is a rat for cheating on his wife (and children in my opinion)but single people are just that and if they opt for variety, those who do not or can not participate, should not be so judgmental. Sounds to me like Liz has been jilted once or twice in the past.

Posted by: sticking up for men | August 15, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about your cheating husband, Trying it again. As a friend of mine says when something really unfortunate happens ... that blows wide.

The older I get, the more I wonder if nice guys and girls really DO finish last. Seems like so many men and women go for train wrecks and the nice ones just end up getting screwed. Weird!

Posted by: Californian | August 15, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Ewww, he always struck me as kind of skanky and in desoarate need of a bath, so I NEVER understood what Uma might see in him. And now to hear him go on and on about his ability to attract low-rent star-effers like he's god's gift to women? Puh-lease, you punky, greasy 2nd rate hack of incredibly limited acting range.

I've always rationalized the bad-boy seeking dilemma thusly: c'mon, do you really want to be with a woman either shallow, stupid or deluded enough to think that they could "change" the bad boy? Just as I'd lose respect for myself if my
life consisted of being attracted to, and geting involved with, shallow, vapid hotties who "loved" me for my money, I have some trouble respecting women who are attracted to, and want to hook up with, the Cisco Adlers of the world.

Sour grapes? Maybe, but not completely. Plus it helps me sleep at night.

And as for the remake of Great Expectations: it starred EH and Gwynneth P. Not only a crappy movie, but apparently an a-hole breeding ground, as well. 'nuff said.

Posted by: Ick! | August 15, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

They're not creeps for wanting to play the field - they're creeps for signing up for a monogamous relationship AND THEN playing the field.

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Used to like Hawke until, when young and infatuated, I wasted rental money on "Mystery Date". Urgh. Now I realize that he just has a good agent, and has surrounded himself with great actors - he is much better in an ensemble. Where you don't hear or see him much.

And nice guys - be more vocal! The ladies I know are all waiting to meet and hear from you! : )

The jerks waltz off with the chicks more often because they are always so confident, and make the first move. Cheatin' men can't stop making that first move.

Posted by: Maritza | August 15, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see a couple of posts from women who did find nice guys. Thanks for perking up my day. :-)

Posted by: Californian | August 15, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

It's one thing to date casually so long as everyone involved is clear on what's going on. It's completely different to cheat on a spouse because you find monogamy to be passe.

Sounds like you need a rationalization for your actions. Whatever helps you sleep at night....

Posted by: Defending Liz | August 15, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

You can hate the game, but don't hate the playa !! I don't see anyone blaming the women he's flinging with. And for saying his career was over 20 years ago, he was nominated for an Oscar in 2001 for Training Day. You people need to get the facts straight !!

Posted by: Bluez | August 15, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

byoolin-i think that i made the distinction that you are alluding to. Playing the field is for singles that are aware. Married people who expect monogmy, should settle for nothing less. Did you not read the part about cheating on his wife & kids?

Posted by: sticking up for men | August 15, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha you found a pic with him smirking. I never really had a thing for him.

Posted by: C. | August 15, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

sticking up for liz-you need to read more carefully as well.

Posted by: sticking up for men | August 15, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

what an interesting bunch of posts today...i especially enjoyed seeing byoolin digging his screen name out of the toilet and trying to wash it off! nice save!

i wish to go on record as saying that nice guys will never finish last because anonymous posters will never say the nasty, varminty things they've said today about ethan hawke. they're out there (nice guys/girls) you just have to wait, look, maintain your expectations.

Posted by: methinks | August 15, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

stick - yes, you did make the distinction. I suppose it's too late for me to claim that my imposter did it?

Sorry...

Posted by: byoolin | August 15, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The woman he cheated with may be immoral, but she didn't marry his wife, he did. That's why, Bluez. And, btw, just use an s. The z does not make you cooler.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What an ass! I firmly believe that there are some people who really aren't cut out for monogamy. That's perfectly fine; no point in pretending that you are though. If you are that way, don't marry (or marry with the complete understanding of your spouse that it will be an "open marriage"). Don't lie to the partner and say you'll be true when you actually won't be.

As for being cavalier with women.... It might be a good way to get laid, but it is the worst way to get a good relationship. He should figure out which one is more important to him and the women he is sleeping with.

Bluez - it isn't the "other women" who took a marriage vow.

Posted by: DC Cubefarm | August 15, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice guys do indeed rule (otherwise, why would I claim the screen name?).

But they also get more than their share of abuse and disappointment, usually at the hands of women who don't know what they want or don't know how to behave, once they find it.

After a failed marriage and being crapped upon by many women who said they wanted a smart, sweet, thoughtful and funny guy -- only to discover they needed the drama, anguish and tragedy they claimed to hate -- I found Ms. Right.

Is she a supermodel? Nope (then again, neither am I). But she is above-average attractive, she has a Ph.D., she's warm, funny and very sexy (and she is an amazing cook). She's also my best friend.

So maybe we nice guys don't get the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, but some of us do pretty well for ourselves in the long run.

Posted by: niceFLguy | August 15, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

And, BTW, what's with the "e" on the end of his name? The final "e" seems to be the spelling equivalent of raising one's pinky while drinking a cup of tea. Hawke's a Twit With A 'Tude...which makes for an interesting acronym.

Posted by: Mister Methane | August 15, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Being a minor celebrity, my guess is Ethan is dating up and coming actress and models who are trying to make a name for them. They tolerate Ethan's behavior because it gets them in the gossip column and blogs. Ethan gets his ego massage as a Casanova and the starlets get a B-list celebrity for a boyfriend until they can trade up.

Posted by: BK | August 15, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

please don't insult Christian Bale by mentioning them in the same sentence! Bale gorgeous, an amazing actor, and happily married with children, and has a hot Welsh accent. Ethan Hawke looks as if he smells like cig smoke and patchouli and B.O., is an ass, and is he perfect match for Gwynneth Paltrow.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I am madly in love with a nice guy, and lok forward to spending every day of the rest of my life with him. Respect yourself, know yourself, truly, make sureyou have dealt with all your crap, so you don't repeat bad patterns, and you open yourself up for finding the nice guys quite wonderful. I know what I am talking about. It took years of repeating bad patterns before I dug into things with a therapist and saw what I was doing and why. Once I realized lack of drama did not equal boredom, it opened a wonderful world of fulfilment, happiness, peace, love, and yes, great sex. And no, I am not blaming the victim; I am saying people tend to be attracted to others who repeat negative patterns in their lives. It is just a fact.

Posted by: my husband is nice | August 15, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I have a male friend who is not great looking, as in: terribly dressed, terrible teeth, weak chin, has a spotty beard (at best)... but he gets plenty of women.

Why?
Because he hits constantly and consistently on women with terribly low self-esteem.

No self-respecting woman would have a guy like that.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of women out there who believe that if they can "change" a guy like that it will make them finally worth something.

This isn't a female only belief. There are plenty of guys out there are attracted to women they can "save" for the same reason. whenever I'm talking to a guy who says "Women only like the bad boys...etc." I know I'm talking to a guy who only likes women he can "save".

Also - nice is different than good.

I like good guys....and there are plenty of them out there. Just like there are plentty of women who are not interested in bad boys.

Posted by: KAL | August 15, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

very good points, KAL

Posted by: my husband is nice | August 15, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, some angry chubby ugly women in this thread huh? Getting all bent out of shape because Ethan Hawke is good looking enough to get as many woman as he wants?

Look, here's a tip. Get off the couch, put down the ice cream and start to work out. Maybe your husband will find you more desirable.

Posted by: Mac | August 15, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Ethan Hawke. Don't condone his cheating ways, but I also was not in his marriage. Also, he hasn't done anything to me, so I don't see the point in hating him on someone else's behalf.
He's certainly not the first cad in Hollywood - why all the hate?
PS - Maybe his haircut in that picture is for a movie? just a thought.

Posted by: jlr | August 15, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Mac, you made me laugh out loud. You and Ethan are a pair. Thanks for the intellectual commentary there, pal. You might want to reread a few of the posts--not all of us are angry women.

Posted by: my husband is nice. | August 15, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

jlr, the point is, THE MAN IS COMPARING HIMSELF TO JFK AND MLK!!!!! TO JUSTIFY CADDISH BEHAVIOR! The overweening ego is enough to make one laugh out loud.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Tryingitagain...it is NOT you. It is HIM. PERIOD. The bottom line is that no matter what was going on in your relationship, ultimately it was his decision to cheat. My 'wife,husband,s.o.,whatever' doesn't understand me blah blah blah is the cheater's mantra. Ethan Hawke is a has been and I have no idea why in the world anyone would be interested in his opinion.

Posted by: Had enough jerks now found a nice guy | August 15, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow Mac, it would appear that you sound a wee bit bitter as well. Why all the hate?

Here's a tip for you:
1. read your post.
2. follow the instructions in your last paragraph.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

That HAS to be Mac Watson, that WRVA jerk-off.

Posted by: I SEE YOU | August 15, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

But it's cookie dough ice cream!

Posted by: Mac | August 15, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, maybe not. Mac Watson is actually kind of funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so that post wasn't really from Mac.

But I smelled rubber burning and figured that had to be what he was thinking. :-)

Posted by: niceFLguy | August 15, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

haha

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Ethan Hawke - never heard of him before. What a male skank.

Posted by: Milwaukee | August 15, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting thread today. Not an Ethan Hawke fan, the only movie I can remember ever seeing him in was Training
Day and it was all about Denzel for me.

BTW, I never for a second thought the earlier comment was from Byoolin. He/She is always funny...never mean. For those of you who thought it was he/she...shame.

Posted by: st.louis | August 15, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Nice guys DO NOT finish last.

How stupid is that saying? Women are attracted to men that are confident and comfortable in their own skin. Many times jerks fit this description and many times nice guys don't. It's as simple as that.

You also have to take into account that some women are self-destructive train wrecks that want to be treated badly. There's nothing anyone can do about that.

(PS I love Gattaca but have hated Ethan ever since he became a "serious novelist")

Posted by: KG | August 15, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible, just possible, Hawke is referring to the stupid choices a certain number of women make?

He's wrong, of course. Women never chose the bad boy over a nice guy. Never happens.

Posted by: dmbt | August 16, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

3 dynamics at work here:

1) $$$$ (and by abstraction, power)
2) looks (can also abstract power from this)
3) in love with being in love (which must be constantly renewed with a new person in order to feel in love)

All 3 of these dynamics are merely symptons of our sick culture.

Posted by: Biff Griff | August 16, 2007 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Loved him in the Coast of Uptopia.

Posted by: MetroKitty | August 16, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I find most self-described nice guys are usually passive/aggressive with zero self-esteem. I consider the man I married to be "respectful, polite, and intelligent." Not a nice-guy who finishes last, but rather a man with nice traits who should be treasured.

As far as Ethan Hawke, I have no qualms with him cheating, plenty of people do. But for a mediocre actor to compare himself to JFK or MLK Jr. is laughably egocentric. As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a mar-oon."

Posted by: KT | August 16, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

NICE GUYS RULE! Methinks that Ethan has always felt alone, even when he was with a woman. Commitment requires courage, something he's obviously lacking!

Posted by: Poéthique | August 16, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Kennedy and King also couldn't take a shot in the head. Will Hawke hire a sniper to prove that he can?"

OMG, Mister Methane, I am CRYING here!

Posted by: surlychick | August 16, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

When I learned that Ethan Hawke was cheating on Uma Therman, I thought he must be the most selfcentered person on earth.

Robin Williams go it right when he said that god gave us guys a limited amount of blood. Only enough to run or brains or our *enis but not enough to run both at the same time. Hawke's statements are proof positive.

Posted by: Beau | August 16, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Ethan Hawke is exactly right in what he said, and I admire him for saying it. Some people on this board have noted that there are those who can't be monogamous. But then they say these people shouldn't get married as a result, or should have an "open marriage" if they do. This is usually unrealistic.

Being married is a very different type of relationship from "playing the field." It's a deeper one that provides a feeling of security and stability. Someone can not be cut out for monogamy but also have a need to be married. Bill Clinton comes to mind.

Then people say that you should have an "open marriage" if you want to fool around. This ignores the fact that there are very few people in this society who would agree to such an arrangement. There are far more people who can't be monogamous than there are people willing to have an open marriage. If it's really so easy to find someone who doesn't insist on fidelity, one wonders why almost everyone who doesn't want to be faithful lies about it in the first place. When almost everyone lies about something, it usually means there's a good reason to lie.

And from what I've heard (although I've never tried it myself), open marriages don't usually work out well. There's a continual insecurity and jealousy--more so than if the people had affairs in secret. The main reason people get angry about infidelity isn't the dishonesty and betrayal, it's the fact that their partner is having sex with someone else. It's human nature to feel angry and jealous about this, even if you didn't expect your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend to be monogamous to begin with.

People who insist on "open" marriages or relationships for those who don't want to be faithful remind me of Communists. Both groups complain about the injustice of something (infidelity in the one case, capitalism in the other). But the "solutions" that are offered usually turn out to be worse than the original problem. It's the dilemma of "the cure is worse than the disease."

Churchill once said that democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others. I think Ethan is saying something similar about "cheating," and I think he's right.

Posted by: Lee | August 17, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

except he seems to have disdain for women, Lee. There are men who love women, lovable cads, and then there are just mysoginists who regard women as accomplishments. He is the latter.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse