Posted at 7:16 AM ET, 08/31/2007

Morning Mix: New Britney Spears Single Released

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Britney Spears's new single, "Gimme More," drops... Spears's fried-chicken smeared Versace gown at auction for charity... Mourners mark 10th anniversary of Princess Diana's death... Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg to perform "SNL" skit at Emmys... Barnes & Noble now says it will carry O.J. Simpson book... Katie Holmes tops magazine's "hot hair" list... Victoria Beckham to guest star on "Ugly Betty"... Accident-prone David Beckham out of commission for another six weeks... Larry Birkhead vs. OK! Magazine... Fair organizers ask Ted Nugent to lay off political commentary... Man pleads guilty to attempted Tom Cruise extortion... Scarlett Johansson, what are you wearing?!

Rumor Mill: Former Spears manager Larry Rudolph served with subpoena in custody case... K-Fed's lawyer claims Spears makes $700K a month... Rihanna denies she's dating Shia LeBeouf... Usher and Tameka Foster to renew wedding vows (28 days after first wedding)... Heather Mills racking up Hamptons parking tickets... VH1 working on celebrity rehab reality show.

Say What?
"It's the most annoying thing." -- Rapper Eve on her alcohol-monitoring anklet

By Liz Kelly  | August 31, 2007; 7:16 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Chris Kattan's Racket
Next: Britney Spears: Comeback Kid?

Comments

Of course Usher and Tameka are renewing their wedding vows. 28 days is practically a record in celebrity world. What is the traditional gift for 1 month -- sand?

How come event oranizers never tell the Dixie Chicks or Barbara Streisand to lay off the political commentary?

Smart move on B & N's part. Refuse to the stock the book to generate interest and have sales go through the roof.

Posted by: ep | August 31, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

i live in the atlanta area, and we have enough going on this weekend between the braves/mets, concerts, college football. usher, if you're reading this (and you know you are) call off the madness!

Posted by: methinks | August 31, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

You know what's annoying, Eve? The fact that you and other celebrities can't lay off the bottle. You drink, you drive, you get a monitoring bracelet. It's that simple.

Posted by: Emily | August 31, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

In a perfect world, Britney & Scarlett would have swapped outfits.

Posted by: byoolin | August 31, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I can't decide about the single..but then I was never a huge fan of her voice...but it sounds sort of trampy

Posted by: PC | August 31, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

eureka! she's done it, PC! that's exactly the response she was going for. all this public relations, going out in underwear, swimming in underwear, hitting cars, buying defenseless puppies, has not been for naught!

Posted by: methinks | August 31, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

You know who never did the pantyless driving, underwear swimming, defenceless dog buying and still had a pretty good run?

Debbie Gibson. I mention her because she turns 37 today.

About the only negative publicity she ever had was that time she was pregnant with Mojo Nixon's two-headed love child. (It was a Bigfoot baby, all covered with fur, yeah.)

Posted by: byoolin | August 31, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"It's the most annoying thing."

Yeah, Eve, being forced by the courts to make your way through the world sober can be such an inconvenience. How do the real people manage?

Posted by: MisterBear | August 31, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

you're right, byoolin. i think debbie gibson also did a turn on the great white way. not too shabby for a one-time pop princess.

Posted by: methinks | August 31, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I think it's OK to ask the Nuge to at least tone the commentary down in terms of expletives, just because of the "family event" nature of the fair, but it's really not as bad as Rosie at that school event talking about committing sex acts with Trump and blasting the President.

Posted by: 23112 | August 31, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

You are SO right about Britney and Scarlett swapping outfits, byoolin.

I'm still feeling emotionally traumatized by those photos of Britney's cottage-cheese butt. All that money, and not a thimbleful of common sense.

Posted by: niceFLguy | August 31, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Scarlett looks like she forgot a suitcase and is trying to get all her clothes on at once....

byoolin, she prefers Deborah Gibson these days....http://www.deborah-gibson.com/

Posted by: b | August 31, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

ok, who else found britney's new single a tad annoying?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

b, but Debb- er, Deborah's website doesn't have the Mojo Nixon song...

Posted by: byoolin | August 31, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

damn. i hate it when i get links that i can't watch at work!

Posted by: b | August 31, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Gosh...I've liked some of Britney's songs (ok, a lot of them, I likes the pop), but I'm not so sure about this one. The guy saying "more" in the background...doesn't it sound a little like someone puking? Like he's making this pretend puke sound? Oh well - maybe it'll grow on me.

Posted by: h3 | August 31, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

at least debbie g isnt in Joan Rivers... but tryin to get out!!!!

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | August 31, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

by the way, and by way of stirring the pot most likely, what is with the fresh outpouring of grief over the anniversary of diana's death? i realize she was something special to a lot of people but it has been 10 years. i never understood the diana phenomenon, whether living or when she died. it seems she's become some sort of metaphor for something...bird in the gilded cage or what have you...her death was certainly tragic. but i just don't get it. i think it's akin to the fascination w/jacqueline kennedy onassis which was another thing i just didn't get.

Posted by: methinks | August 31, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I clicked on the ScarJo link (agree that she's just cutting down on luggage and wearing the stuff she'll need later in the week all at once) and then linked through there to see Christina Ricci looking like AGAIN she's not eating. Besides hating the whole "I'm not skinny enough even though I'm a size 2" mentality, someone with a big round keppe should know better -- just makes the noggin look even gigantic-er.
Ursher, no matter how many times you marry her, we still won't care. And your mama will still hate her. Looking forward to reading about the divorce proceedings, though.
For the record, I am dating Shia but not Rihanna. Or maybe it was the other way around...

Posted by: miss belle | August 31, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why Brittney has to pay any of K-fed's legal bills if he brought the suit against her? I just don't get it, maybe he should get a job.

Also, can doctors and "staff" at a medical facility really be called to testify against her? I thought that info would be private.

Posted by: Irish girl | August 31, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

OK - I like most of Britney's new single but I think she did herself a diservice with all the extra sex noises. The song itself is catchy but with that stuff its a little on the trashy side. And h3 - I could not help thinking of your point when listening it and you're totally right! Ah!

Posted by: sjcpeach | August 31, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Methinks, I'm with you. I was in college when Diana died, and we entertained ourselves that evening speculating about how she wasn't really dead, she had just been called back to the mothership. We concluded that her time spent on earth, married to Charles, constantly in the public eye, putting up with QEII and the Queen Mum, had been punishment for some transgression on the home world.

Basically, though, she's our generation's Grace Kelley. I know 60-70ish ladies who are still to this day utterly obsessed with Princess Grace, and feel deep personal grief that she died.

Posted by: WDC | August 31, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Irish Girl- I had the same reaction. Maybe if K-Fed would get off his lazy ass and get a job, he'd have some income. As much as I can't stand Britney, there's no reason why she should pay his legal bills. So she supposedly makes $700K a month (which I doubt); that's her business, not his.

Posted by: surlychick | August 31, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

re: legal fees. Happens all the time in VA, except 99% of the time, it is the husband paying the wife's legal bills, the theory being either "I wouldn't have these bills unless you sued me" or "I should be reiumbursed for having to sue you for divorce because you destroyed the marriage". I see it in almost 100% of the divorce cases I work on (I am a paralegal). I also suspect that the issue here is his having to reopen the custody issue because of her behavior, thus incurring bills he would not otherwise have had to pay, plus maybe some weird California laws or court procedures we don't know about.

Posted by: JL | August 31, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else find Prince Harry suddenly..um..hot?

Posted by: erm | August 31, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Shiloh is the perfect blend of Brad and Angie, gorgeous little girl http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/08/30/angelina-jolie-petting-zoo/

Posted by: Mel | August 31, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

It's OK, erm. I've noticed that, too. Suddenly the pretty boy looks of Prince Will have gotten a little overshadowed by Harry's hotness. :)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, it's just because it's the anniversary. But Marketplace (on public radio) had a great story last night where the guy was basically making the point that no one really *does* care, 10 years later. He talked to people visiting Kensington Palace and stuff, and they were like, oh, is that this week? Transcript: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/08/30/PM200708307.html

It is amazing to look back and remember how deeply people cared at the time.

Posted by: h3 | August 31, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I heard that Marketplace story, h3--interesting.

And the whole Britney thing to me is so pathetic--she tries SO hard to be sexy and throw sex into everything she does, that she looks and sounds desperate, as if that is the only ting she thinks she has to sell.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I've always thought Christina Ricci was as cute as a button -- and loved that she was not a boring cookie-cutter Hollywood actress. Love her new 'do but it's so depressing that she, like so many others, has catapulted headlong into stick-figured anorexic land. Why do these women think they look better as shadows of their former womanly selves?

Posted by: Californian | August 31, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"as if that is the only ting she thinks she has to sell." It's up 5/8's and I'm buying!

Posted by: Stick | August 31, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone else find Prince Harry suddenly..um..hot?"

Yes indeed ... !!

William looks more and more like his father as each year goes by ... and Charles is no hottie.

Posted by: Californian | August 31, 2007 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes! It's like the Windsor boys have a window of hotness - William entered it, then left it to go down Charles Lane, and now Harry is entering it. Which means he's got a few good years in him.

Posted by: h3 | August 31, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

but Harry is not going to go down Charles Lane because he is supposedly the son of Diana's equerry or whoever that guy was. Harry is a dead ringer for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I was just wondering why that kid had red hair.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Please don't do that to Harry. He lost his mother at age 12. He does not need people speculating about his father. He is Charles' son. His picture at 18 was a dead ringer for his dad. His red hair is quite common when one parent is blond and the other brunette. Plus, he got Stuart blood (some really red heads) from both his mother and his father.

Posted by: ep | August 31, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.
I Look forward to hear you soon with impatience. Adult Dating[url=http://toplop.com/?idAff=59]Adult Dating[/url]

Posted by: datindlsj | September 1, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to booylin YEP DEBORAH IS NOW 37 CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? yes Deborah will always be in a class all herself.. and she is still around .. she has had 7 cds plus a greatest hits and a cd in 2003 called colored lights which is a collection of songs she sings on broadway.. she has always been around, more on stage now. She is also working on a new cd. has her own record label called Golden Egg and is working with Dick Clark producers on an info mercial to do with American Bandstand.

Plus i think Britney spears once said in a magazine interview..."IT'S NOT LIKE IM DEBBIE GIBSON, I'M NOT GOING TO BE HERE TODAY AND GONE TOMORROW... ?"

PLEASE BRITNEY YOU HAVE NOTHING ON DEBORAH