Posted at 7:41 AM ET, 08/30/2007

Morning Mix: Britney Gets Cheeky in L.A.

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Britney Spears (NSFW) steps out leaving nothing to the imagination and wearing only one contact lens... Keith Richards demands apology for poor concert reviews... Amy Winehouse cancels MTV Video Music Awards performance... Owen Wilson drops out of movie... MSNBC's Tucker Carlson hits back against "gay bashing" accusations... Brad Pitt sports new tattoo -- en Francais... David Letterman to appear on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" next month... Ricki Lake releases childbirth documentary... El Debarge arrested on domestic violence charge, held for outstanding warrants... Bobby Brown says he lived in his car following split from Whitney Houston... Witness says Hulk Hogan's son was racing before crash... CBGB founder Hilly Kristal dies at 75... The Rock set for "Witch Mountain" remake... Celebrities pick their favorite movies for TCM.

Rumor Mill: Britney's new single expected next week... Criss Angel says his relationship with Spears is all business... Lindsay Lohan busted for taking drugs in rehab... Michael Lohan says ex-wife Dina "still does cocaine and is dating a rapist"... Courtney Love blames British actor Steve Coogan for negatively influencing Owen Wilson... Gwyneth Paltrow to host cooking show?... Sean Kingston to portray Notorious B.I.G. in biopic?

Say What?
"When it comes to getting dressed, men are a little bit more important than handbags but less important than shoes." -- Ashton Kutcher, in the September issue of Harper's Bazaar

Video: Bjork whacks photog with handbag (again):

Chat Day! Join me online at 2 p.m. ET to talk about Britney's ensemble (see above) because, really, I can't get over it.

By Liz Kelly  | August 30, 2007; 7:41 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Book Club: 'Watchmen'
Next: Creative Captioning: Chris Kattan's Racket

Comments

Oh dear lord, Britney CANNOT BE STOPPED! Has there ever been a famous singer/actress/whatever who melted down in such a crazy, public way before? She went from the top to the dregs in just two years!! Amazing.

Posted by: Laney | August 30, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

OH MY GOD, I can't even go any further with my reading after that Britney picture! This chick is cracking, or crack piping! Two different colored eyes and letting her saggy cheeks out the backdoor? Lord, help that girl! No, help those babies!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

That picture is not only Not Safe For Work (NSFW), it's also Not Safe For Eyes (NSFE).

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Once, when I was about 15, I accidentally caught a glimpse of my grandmother going from the shower to her bedroom. Her rear end looked nearly identical to Britney's.

I'm pretty sure Britney isn't pushing 75 yet, but her ass sure is.

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that maybe she should have her name legally changed to "Britney Spears (NSFW)".

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Smart man.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

are we, as private citizens, allowed to whack people with our purses (or computer bags) if we don't like them looking at us? just wondering.

i'm not all that er..bummed...about britney's backside. in fact, i'm feeling pretty good about myself.

Posted by: methinks | August 30, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumour that Britney's new single is a cover of the old KC & The Sunshine Band hit, "Shake Your Booty"?

I think we just had a (particularly disturbing) preview of the video.

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

My daughter insists on pairing her dress-length tunics with jeans. Up until now, I've thought it looked dippy. I will never, ever doubt her again, considering the other possibilities

Posted by: other liz | August 30, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Interesting thing about that Bjork video (gee, wonder how many times THAT has been said) is that little break of a few seconds between when she grabs her bag and starts charging the photog and when the whack actually comes. I wonder what's missing?

And I want to take that Britney pic, blow it up 5000%, and hang it up in Times Square.

Posted by: 23112 | August 30, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Gwyneth's cooking show is a rumor. She stated she would be doing a cooking show in her recent interview in W Magazine.

Third paragraph from the bottom.

On a side note, I'm starting to lose any sympathy I had for Lindsay Lohan. I recognize that she's an addict and needs help, but she has got to want to recover, at least a little, if she's going to get better.

Looking forward to the chat Liz!

Posted by: Noelle | August 30, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Criss Angel's "all business" relationship with Britney had something to do with her pants disappearing and/or her own butt being replaced by my grandma's.

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

-For Courtney Love to release a coherent statement, Owen Wilson drug use must be very serious.

-Why didn't Britney's people tell her about the missing contact lens?
I can understand about the dress maybe Britney has a rash and need easy access to scratch.

Posted by: Lisa1 | August 30, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

i think byoolin is a little obsessed with britney's butt.

Posted by: methinks | August 30, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Who wouldn't be obsessed with Britney's butt? Did you SEE it? I have to go wash my brain now!

Posted by: h3 | August 30, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

methinks, You say "obsessed", I say "traumatized."

(I know: "potato-poTAHto..yadda, yadda")

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I won't even comment on Brit Brit, I mean what more can be said? I am really disappointed over the El DeBarge story, mainly because I was soooo in love when I was in high school and also it reminds me of how old I am...Damn.

Posted by: st.louis | August 30, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

what has bjork even done recently that she has a crowd of photographers following her around?

and hasn't she attacked them before? maybe they just follow her around in hopes of getting a good shot of her punching one of them... hardly seems worth it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

The Bjork incident reminds me of a quotation from one of the Adrian Mole books:

"A swan can break a man's arm, you know."

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

RIP Hilly. Thanks for the tunes.

Posted by: CBGB Forever! | August 30, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Why is his name El, anyway? That's just silly. Personally, I think Chico, his baby brother, is sexy. But, translated they are "The" DeBarge and "Boy" Debarge? Weird.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

yes, i saw britney's butt. here's what i think happened. she went out partying (everyone still with me on that?). during the course of the evening she lost her pants ('cause really, no one goes out of the house looking like that), and she lost one of her contact lenses. sadly she ran out of gas because she didn't know that the car ran on fuel having never pumped gas in her life. stumbling along the sidewalk, britney slips and falls in a heap, wondering just how low things can go for her. she falls asleep. (okay, passes out) fortunately she was still wearing her gps tracking device and when she didn't show up in the morning to give her two precious babies whom she loves more'n anything in the world their nutritious breakfast of pop tarts and sunny d, her posse went looking for her. they found her passed out on a step, arms around the now full gas can, dressed as we have now all seen her. after peeling her off the pavement, they attempted to walk her to the car but were surrounded by paparazzi who are the reasons she's all messed up. "why don't y'all just leave me alone????" she was heard wailing as they pushed her into the back seat of the mercedes.
seems completely plausible.

Posted by: methinks | August 30, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Aww geez. Now I have to wait until I get home to see that train wreck, er brit pic.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Britney's new song:
Oops I forgot my pants
I balled them up and threw them
In the corner of my double-wide
And when I woke up on the bathroom floor
Before I crawled out onto the ce-ment yard
To vomit
The dog ate them.

Posted by: POS | August 30, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I pity the fool in Lindsay Dee's rehab who made the mistake of tapping his foot on the ground whilst in the latrine stall. Ain't no telling what pustule, lesion, wart, or crab crossed the bridge in the ensuing seismic bumps of uglies.

"Don't do school! Get 8 hours of drugs!"

Posted by: Mr. T | August 30, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Byoolin -- Nice "Adrian Mole" ref. I love those books.

Posted by: Liz | August 30, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Why are they remaking Witch Mountain? It sucked the first time. What hype/good will/good box office are they hoping to feed off?

Posted by: ep | August 30, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I hate when I have a good idea after I hit submit. Anyway,

Speaking of remakes, remember the item about remaking the Wizard of Oz? They are and Britney is playing the Scarecrow. Instead of looking for her brain (even the Wiz knows a lost cause when he sees one), she is looking for her underwear.

Posted by: ep | August 30, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

When I grow up I want to be just like Bert Baxter.

Posted by: byoolin | August 30, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting that picture of Britney. I feel so much better about my butt. I have a better butt than Brintey and I'm 37. Can this week get any better?

Posted by: Sharon | August 30, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"Interesting thing about that Bjork video"

It's a Googlenope, so as far as I'm concerned, it's never been said. Nice work, 23112!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

hey sharon,
how do you think *I* feel?
i'm 47 and feelin' as if I could wear a baby doll top and boots and no one will bat an eyelash!
WTG britney!

Posted by: methinks | August 30, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

ANOTHER Witch Mountain remake??? How many more can we take!! The first one was the best one.

Liz, very nice to see you included El Debarge in your Morning Mix. I'm sure it lifted his spirits.

Posted by: moodring1908 | August 30, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Criss Angel's involvement with Britney is strictly business. She wants to know how much the magician (excuse me, illusionist) would charge to make her nasty cottage cheese butt disappear.

Posted by: niceFLguy | August 30, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Really, is this the standard for entertainment these days with Britney? Will some media pundit go on a crusade to get this no talent, repeat, no talent 3rd rate stripper off of the front pages? Disgusting doesn't apply here, pathetic is a better description. She's a studio enhanced, unoriginal dancer who can strike a pose who's been paid very well. Another example, like Micheal Vick, that lots a money don't make you smart. If she walked down a city street in that outfit, every man would instantly know what the deal was. She's desperate to get any attention because she has no talent to fall back on. She's our national stripper.

Posted by: grendel | August 30, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Witch Mountain"!? YAY!! It was my favorite movie when I was little. Okay, 6. But I'd still watch a remake. LOVE The Rock. ; )

Posted by: Maritza | August 30, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that perhaps Britney's handlers need to introduce her to the concept of "element of mystery". At a quick glance, it would seem that her idea of progress is to show more and more skin at each stage of her career. Well, now everyone's seen everything and the only place to go from here is perhaps to show x-rays of her vital organs. My personal take is that she should get herself back in shape (in all aspects of her life, esp. mentally and emotionally), allow herself to be photographed occasionally in reasonable clothing, then embark on the "Dance of 1007 Veils" tour. This tour would allow her to perform across the country, removing only a few veils here and there until the final performance where she can remove enough veils to be somewhat risque.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | August 30, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

in response to the what kind of name is "El", TMZ notes: "Rhymes With Snitch first broke the news of Debarge's arrest. El, whose real name is Eldra, scored major success in 1985 with the hit 'Rhythm of the Night.' His brother James was briefly married to Janet Jackson, but that marriage was annulled."

Not sure Eldra is better.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Sharon, you beat me to it! :-) I'm 37 also and feel SO much better about my bod now. My butt & thighs don't look like cottage cheese, woo hoo!!!

I still cannot get over that someone would actually go out of the house like that. OMG.

Posted by: Californian | August 30, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Brit photo, lets just be glad it isn't a front view.

Posted by: st.louis | August 30, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

to be semi-serious for a moment, why does she think this is OK? You look at her parents, and from what I have seen, they dress normally and don't seem like trash, at least in terms of clothing and public behavior. All I can figure is her emotional and psychological maturity somehow froze at age 4, she is mentally ill, or she truly thinks it looks good (see second option). Judging by what some other famous people wear, maybe there is something that happens to you when you are paid obscene amounts of money, fawned over, catered to, and given everything you (think you) want that destroys all sense of style or taste? A cure for a lot of them probably would be to make them live on the salary a minimum wage worker makes for a month. I imagine their self-centered whackoness might change a bit.
In the meantime, we burn our eyeballs on the butt photos. Shudder.

Posted by: LE | August 30, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, this is not the first time Brit has worn this ensemble in public. Heather & Jessica (GoFugYourself.com) posted a less revealing-front view of her wearing the same shirt as a dress coupled w/those butt ugly, brown pleather boots. That she could walk out the door TWICE in this outfit proves that she is delusional ("my a** looks good, y'all), has no stylist, handler or friend, and no full-length mirrors at home...

Posted by: plamar1031 | August 30, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I miss Britney's daisy dukes.

Man, never thought I'd type that one.

Posted by: Karen | August 30, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Okay it took me awhile to recover from the Britney pixs to be able to read on....it looks like from El Debarge's pics he's stuck in the 80's.

Posted by: Sharon | August 30, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

For the first time I am beginning to have pity for Britney. I am convinced that she has had a nervous breakdown, is on serious drugs or both. Either way she has got to feel a serious breeze blowing! At this point her family seriously needs to have her kidnapped and force her to straighten herself up. She can really forget about her career now - her management has got to be on the same drugs if they think that her new cd will be a success in a couple of months.

Posted by: Marie | August 30, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

To be serious for just a second, doesn't some mental illnesses such as schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder start to show symptoms in the mid-20's? Could explain a lot.

Posted by: dym | August 30, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I feel soooo good about myself right now, I have no trainer, no makeup team or stylist to help me look good and I look 10 times better, with a better (latina) butt.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 30, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse