Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 09/24/2007

Comment Box: A McCartney-Mills Update

By Liz Kelly

What is the word on the train wreck that was the Paul/Heather divorce - has it become civilized? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Maybe under-the-radar would be a better term than "civilized." Either way, we haven't heard much in the past couple of months about this high-profile split. Shocking when you consider this survey finding that the Macca split eclipsed terrorism and human rights as Britain's biggest legal story of the year.

There was a whiff of excitement late last month when Paul, who along with Mills is vacationing (separately) in the Hamptons, was spotted cuddling up to Renee Zellweger at a Tom Petty concert. Still, one "friend" tells London's Daily Mail that Mills and McCartney are now "friendlier than ever." Prompting, of course, the inevitable speculation that once-troubled couple may yet reconcile.

A quick scan of Macca news this morning returns nothing more scandalous -- and scandalous it is -- than McCartney's interest in joining the cast of "Shrek 4." C'mon Paul. Let it be.

Comment of the Week
Sure Chuck likes what we're doing in Iraq -- hell -- his next show can be "Walker, Blackwater Security Consultant." -- Quintilus Varus

(Getty Images)

Creative Captioning: All hail Pompous Magnus, winner of this week's Celebritology Captionologist title. He came, he saw, he kicked caption butt. (Read all the entries here.)

QT: "I can't wait to jab her with the adrenaline spike."
AW: "I can't wait for him to jab me with the adrenaline spike."
-- Pompous Magnus

Runners Up
"Ok, OK! I'll go to rehab! Just get this ***ing guy off of me." -- b

In a rare moment of clarity, rehab-averse singer Amy Winehouse questions her choice of "sober buddy." -- Thor

If I said you had a beautiful carcass, would you hold it against me? -- SMACK

"Friends" update, circa 2015: Chandler and Janice, together again for the last time! -- d

Honorable Mention for Admirable Irascibility:
Is Tarantino wearing a Wu-Tang tshirt? is that supposed to be "ironic"? I'm tired of the "hip" crowd and their stupid tshirts. If I see another 21-year old in a "More Cowbell" or Cobra Commander tshirt and a fauxhawk, I'm going to stab him. -- OD

By Liz Kelly  | September 24, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: George Clooney Injured in Motorcycle Accident
Next: Morning Mix: Rosie O'Donnell Sabotages Her Own Book Release

Comments

last week was the week that was, wasn't it? congrats to QV for comment of the week honors and PM for scoring as Captionologist o' the week.
kudos to liz for culling through the wheat and chaff and finding the gems. and i second both the opinion and emotion of OD re: the hip crowd t-shirts. it's one thing to wear a 'retro' tshirt that one buys at a legitimate second hand/thrift store, it's quite another to wear faux retro from target (as much as i love target.)

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

would it be so very difficult for an elder statesman of rock 'n' roll--let's say...paul mccartney-- to just retire quietly, write the occasional song for (and only for) his grandchildren, show up for events when his presence warranted it, raise money for charities if he wished, etc.? he's making a spectacle of himself w/the talk of his goo-goo eyes at renee z.
i know i'm a woman and don't understand the need for a guy to validate himself w/a younger woman but gee whiz. he's paul mccartney. no validation necessary.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Celebs travel in a rarified culture where norms as we know them do not apply. In the real world a guy that looks like Macca couldn't get a second look, let alone some snogging, from a woamn who looks like RZ. But in Celeb World it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Stick | September 24, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I have nothing against anyone (hip or non-hip) wearing faux-retro t-shirts, caps, etc, but at least know something about the artist you are representing.

PS: To the skater dude: Bob Marley was not Wyclef Jean's father.

I think Stella McCartney and her siblings should hold a"Meet my Kids" intervention before Paul start dating again.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 24, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

after i wrote my comment about faux retro tshirts i imagined the scenario where, several years from now, i walk into a thrift store where a faux retro shirt from target is for sale. does that mean the faux retro shirt is now *really* retro? the mind reels...

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

In Tarantino's defense, RZA from Wu Tang did the sountrack for both Kill Bills so in his case, he's just pimpin' himself & the soundtracks in a roundabout way.

Posted by: Bored @ home | September 24, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"PS: To the skater dude: Bob Marley was not Wyclef Jean's father."

Are you sure? Bob has about 100 kids. I wouldn't rule it out.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 24, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"But in Celeb World it makes perfect sense."

There's not a lot that doesn't somehow make sense in the surreal context of Celeb World. Just look at Britney, Paris, et al.

Posted by: niceFLguy | September 24, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

To methinks 11:06 - An example of what you seem to be talking about is Dan Zanes who retired from a reasonably good rock career (okay - fronting the Del Fuegos and not the Beatles, but still...) and now does dance and fun music for the under-eights.

And it's pretty darn good stuff, too. Real music, not the schlock they usually churn out for kids.

Posted by: Bogota | September 24, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Shrek 4! WTF! What was good about Shrek 3 that could possible prompt a 4?

Posted by: petal | September 24, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"Shrek 4! WTF! What was good about Shrek 3 that could possible prompt a 4?"

It made a lot of money

Posted by: NYC | September 24, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

methinks:

would it be a faux-faux retro tshirt?

ohh... how about faux-deux retro tshirt?

Posted by: b | September 24, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Since we're on the whole t-shirt thing, at least know whose face is on your t-shirt. I am sick of seeing kids wearing Che Guevera t-shirts and they have no idea who he is.

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 24, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Everybody knows who Che is - he used to be a frequent contributor here AND his picture's on the tails of all of Alaska Airlines' jets.

Posted by: byoolin | September 24, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ah...my dear, dear byoolin, you've just proved my point.

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 24, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

i bet byoolin was jokin', right? everyone knows che wears a beret, not a parka. 'cept when he was in alaska of course, stirring up the eskimos.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

jake e poo. totally missed the tongue in byoolin's cheek, no?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

bogota, gracias! i just checked out dan zanes myspace site and listened to some of his tunes. yes, that's more like it.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

YAY! It's been a long time since I felt like a winner, let alone been one! I saw "Superbad" this weekend and, at times, I found myself crossing that thin line between "remembering" and "reliving." ...now I feel better! Thanks, Liz!

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | September 24, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I came to the comments to say that Tarantino and the RZA are buds, but Bored beat me to the punch. They both are really into kung fu movies and I think Tarantino is a genuine fan of Wu Tang.

Posted by: Whatevs | September 24, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I am very familiar with byoolin's tongue...in his cheek...my handle may be new, I, however, am not.

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 24, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

jake e. poo, you must be new, because everyone knows byoolin, my celebritology b/f, is totally off-limits. if anyone is familiar with his tongue, it's me, not you. keep paws off the goods.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

that comment posted at 3p.m. was not methinks. i am methinks. please, please get your own name.

Posted by: the real original methinks | September 24, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

methinks, when did I become your b/f? should i go buy some flowers?

Posted by: byoolin | September 24, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

methinks (the real original) I should have known it wasn't you, because the 3:00 methinks obviously didn't read the entire post.

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 24, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I find it very odd that people imitate other posters. This is anonymous--why do you need to take on another person's ID?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they think the poster whose name they are taking is the "popular kid". By taking their name they too can become popular. They should know that no one on the blog even likes methinks. Byoolin is okay. Methinks is insufferable.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I like methinks, despite the fact that she (or her impersonator) gushes a lot about byoolin. So, speak for yourself, anon @ 3:44.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 24, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I like methinks too (the original, not the imposter)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Funny-man byoolin is probably cursing the heavens for being inextricably linked to that dolt methinks. Sucks for your dude. On the other hand, good job methinks for hitching your wagon to a star.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I think byoolin has a stalker

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I will not post my usual ID because I don't want the imposter to start using it.

Here's an off the wall conspiracy theory. It's not flushed out yet so bare with me. But remember how Che just disappeared one day? What if instead of pumping us full of news stories:) Che has decided to hijack IDs instead. Posting things that the real poster wouldn't say in turn causing irritation and a decline in postings. Due to the fact that it is going to irritate people (insert manical hysterical laugh here).

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Woman want dough more than looks, or anything else, in a guy--it's that care-for-the-offspring instinct--and Beatle Paul is way doughy.

Posted by: aguy7 | September 24, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

aguy7, you have got to be kidding. or did i misunderstand your point? some women (heather mills appears to be one of them) are in it for the baby & bucks. but to say "women want dough more than looks" without some sort of caveat (such as "some" or "a select few") is not a fair characterization of the female of the species. it would be like me saying "Men want looks over personality or compatibility." and we all know how wrong that would be.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

zing! ba-da-pum!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

lol... sorry guys, long day. Comment of the week eh? heheh... nice to see all those years of being a smartass are finally paying off.

As for the annoying tshirt thing, whatever you do dont hit the young women's dept at nordstrom's - you'll see newly made and 'aged' Ramones tshirts for $90... so OD, dont take any sharp objects to the store - you wouldnt want to be tempted (i know i am).

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | September 24, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

maybe methinks is suffering from a Fight Club syndrome..

Posted by: whaaa? | September 24, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse