Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 09/ 6/2007

Creative Captioning: Debbie's Hairy Get Up

By Liz Kelly

This week, I'm chagrined to find Debbie Harry the focus of our weekly exercise in snarkology. She's an icon. A goddess. She's Blondie, dammit. But, after spotting the photo below, well, how could I in good conscience pass up this rich opportunity for a little dose of creative captioning? Harry (who recently admitted that she'd injected sheep embryos in a bid to retain her youthful looks) it seems, deemed her ensemble appropriate to wear at a launch party for Tommy Hilfiger's new book, "Iconic America: A Roller-Coaster Ride through the Eye-Popping Panorama of American Pop Culture." Eye-popping, indeed. But surely we can do better.

Share your own alternate captions below. The best entry will be elevated to a position of prominence here in the blog and the writer of that entry may call him (or her) self "Official Celebritology Captionologist" for the week of Sept. 3 - 7.

(AP)

Winning Captions:

1. From CBGB's to the heebie-jeebies. -- Thor
2. Blondie shockingly and brazenly thumbs her nose at fashion by wearing white shoes after Labor Day. -- Lacie
3. OUCH! Wounded by cutting edge fashion. -- Maritza
4. Debbie Harry flaunts her disregard for the "take at least one thing off before leaving the house" rule. -- petal
5. ...and starring Phyllis Diller in the role of rock legend Debbie Harry. -- jcm

By Liz Kelly  | September 6, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Creative Captioning
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Super-Exclusive Dispatch from Our Capitol Hill Correspondent
Next: Morning Mix: Brad Pitt 'Stifled' Attraction to Angie

Comments

Debbie Harry, now a suburban mom, borrows her tween daughter's clothes for a night out.

Posted by: ep | September 6, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Call me ... crazy

Posted by: O.L. | September 6, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Brass in pocket, trainwreck on body.

Posted by: boutros | September 6, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Deborah Harry makes her first public appearance after being mysteriously blinded while clothes shopping.

Posted by: b | September 6, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Blondie Does Boca

Posted by: methinks | September 6, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lacie | September 6, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Um, Boutros? Brass in pocket is the Pretenders, not Blondie.

Posted by: Get it right | September 6, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Beam me up Scotty, this plastic vest is making me sweaty.

Posted by: Angela | September 6, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Blondie's missing a mirror. Must have used her glass budget making hearts.

Posted by: Sarita | September 6, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Tim Gunn move over for "Edward Scissorhands' Guide to Style"

Posted by: M Street, D.C. | September 6, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Harry to promote Blondie's lesser known hit "Face of Plastic"

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 6, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Manna, manna .... doo, dooooo, doo doo doo.

Posted by: EBL | September 6, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Her future's so bright she has to wear shades?

Posted by: operator | September 6, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

An example of not growing old gracefully.

Posted by: M. Rozar | September 6, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Fab Five Freddy told me every retiree's fly.

Posted by: Thor | September 6, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ohhhh Operator, you're a smooooth operator.

Or wait - isn't this cheesey-silly 80s night?

Posted by: Bog | September 6, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

What did she inject into the sheep embryos, and did it hurt the little lambies

Posted by: Preliminary Question | September 6, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

How the 80's Made the N(a)oughties.

Posted by: Meff | September 6, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Debbie Harry disguises herself as Liz Kelly.

Posted by: Mister Methane | September 6, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Blondie beams after winning Retired Rockers' Pot-Luck Cook-Off.

Posted by: POS | September 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

This is a very difficult assignment. The outfit is mild by Debbie's standards.

Ms. Harry, after her failed fourth attempt to dress herself, told reporters, "I'm not the type of girl/who gives up just like that."

Posted by: byoolin | September 6, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

cute shoes though!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Call me! No, really, please call me! Pretty please? I'm doing everything I can to get ANYONE to call!

Posted by: Lsht | September 6, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Deborah Harry is positively beaming after learning that she has been cast in role of Gabriella's great, great grandmother for the upcoming Broadway production of "High School Musical, Back to the Future."

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | September 6, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

...and starring Phyllis Diller in the role of rock legend Debbie Harry

Posted by: jcm | September 6, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Harry said "At least, I'm coordinated. Top that, Britney."

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 6, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Harry's lost youth returns after being rode hard and put to bed wet.

Posted by: MacBeth | September 6, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Pictured here: Debbie Harry in the infamous outfit that sent, designer, Tommy Hilfiger into retirement.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 6, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Blondie admits to new treatment: "baa-tulism"

[I bet no one gets that]

Posted by: not bluto | September 6, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Look what my kids made for me in art class!

Posted by: Jasmine | September 6, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Harry: "I thought it was an 80's themed book party."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

First thing to pop into my head:
She looks like she don't know better.
A case of partial extreme.
Dressed in a Robert Hall sweater.
Acting like a soap opera queen...

Yeah! She's so dull, come on rip her to shreds.

Posted by: kw in md | September 6, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the dark glasses, no one was aware Shirley Jones had stolen Debbie Harry's VIP pass...

Posted by: CmonGetHappy | September 6, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, Blondie's still awesome, but sometimes, fasion does fail to rock..

Posted by: Sigh | September 6, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Harry: "I wanted my outfit to match my hairstyle."

Posted by: Anonimis | September 6, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Whew! At least I got my arms out of the straightjacket before I got here!

Posted by: lydacole | September 6, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

her words from "rapture" say it best:

Fab Five Freddie told me everybody's high

Posted by: cee_jay | September 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Century Village welcomes the next generation!

Posted by: Ed | September 6, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

"Deborah Harry emerges unscathed after unfortunate blender accident at Hilfilger launch party."

Posted by: CJB | September 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sunnydale, CA; The new principle of Timothy Leary Middle School, Debbie Harry, lampoons the School Board's new dress code by wearing an "acceptable" outfit.

Posted by: A.P. Reuters | September 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"One way - or another - Deborah Harry gets noticed!"

Posted by: CJB | September 6, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Exhibit 3 in blind pop star Deborah Harry's defamation suit against her former personal assistant.

Posted by: Solon | September 6, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Memo to Scientologists: Happy Pills Work!

Posted by: Gordon | September 6, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

So I said to my daughter, "Fine! If you're going to wear that to school, I'm going to pick you up in this!"

Posted by: Becky | September 6, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

A really baaaaaaaahhhhd Harry day.

Posted by: Nita | September 6, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Shortly after her escape from the Phanton Zone, Deborah Harry swears vengance on Superman.

Posted by: l8yf8 | September 6, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Harry at the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Vegas Country Kitchen Buffet.

Posted by: KTDell | September 6, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Debbie's Fashion is So Glaring, She's Gotta Wear Shades... The Rest of America Has To Wear Blindfolds.

Posted by: sv | September 6, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

What's Blond, and White, and Red All Over

Posted by: Msnoops | September 6, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Steps Out to a Fundraiser For the Blind and Those Who Wish They Were Blind.

Posted by: sv | September 6, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Harry pictured at the casting call for the 2007 Broadway renedition of "The Golden Girls." Bea Arthur graciously loaned her the proper footwear.

Posted by: Jilly | September 6, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

love the sheep references...very cleaver, but so far I am going to have to with Msnoops. Very funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 6, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hey Mom! Grandma's back from Orlando!"

Posted by: Lord Baltimore | September 6, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The winner of Project Runway's "Strait Jacket" challenge

Posted by: E | September 6, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Exhibits the Transformative Qualities of Sheep Embryos.

Posted by: sv | September 6, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Scientists Learn That Sheep Embryos Only Preserve 1980s Bad Fashion, Not 1980s Youthfulness.

Posted by: sv | September 6, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Fab Five Freddie told me, Debbie, Harry, everybody's high. So I dressed to blend in.

OR

Well now you see what you wanna be -- and frankly, I don't get this outfit either.

OR

Spineless movement and a wild attack: How else to explain Debbie Harry's getup?

Posted by: td | September 6, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Black and White and Red? All Over!

Posted by: College Parkian | September 6, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Rock and roll meets retirement home.

Posted by: yumdonuts | September 6, 2007 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: petal | September 6, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Following the success of her recently reported "experimental" treatments to maintain her "youthful" appearance, Debra Harry launchs her new line of fashion wear grown from animal stem cells. "No animals were harmed in harvesting these fabrics" she declares. Viewers at the showing where not so spared.

Posted by: I have a Name | September 6, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

MAUDE!

Posted by: Andi | September 6, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Floating in the summer sky
What was left of
99 red balloons go by.

Posted by: Mister Methane | September 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

"The future's so dim, I gotta wear shades."

Posted by: Bud Omsman | September 6, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Madame Tussauds apologizes for putting real-life Debbie Harry in wax museum.

Posted by: Bud Omsman | September 6, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Debby Harry on her way to audition for the part of the Joker in "Batman Breaks; Gotham Boogaloo"

Posted by: VoR | September 6, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille."

Posted by: Phoebe | September 6, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Blondie displays her latest stage costume for "Rip Her to Shreds"

Posted by: Cybex | September 6, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean you don't like my outfit? Michael Jackson just adapted one of his songs to it! In fact, it went something like:

You know it's bad, it's bad-come on, you know
(bad bad-really, really bad)
And the whole world has to answer right now
"Where the hell'd you get those threads?"
It's bad!

Posted by: Jacko | September 6, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Little-Known Sister Seeks Annette Benning's Fame by Debuting the Latest from her Recycled Upholstery Line

Posted by: LE | September 6, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Lost a lot of weight,survived the rock and roll jungle ride,the tide is high and she's still gonna be your number One--Rock on Debbie!

Posted by: tim | September 6, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, I know. I lost a bet with Betsey Johnson."

Posted by: Becky | September 6, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

From CBGB's to the heebie-jeebies in 30-some-odd years...

Posted by: Thor | September 6, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Bah Ram Ewwwww.....

Posted by: michael | September 6, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't love the mean-spirited ones, I have to say. She's still cooler than all of us.

Posted by: Sigh | September 6, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Debbie Harried

Mucho mistrust, hide my behind

Once I had a style, and now it's all past

Posted by: td | September 6, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Paging Barry Manilow...

Posted by: Petey | September 6, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Does This Outfit Make Me Look Crazy Famous? Or Just Famous?

Posted by: sv | September 6, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Drat! Where are my tin cup and pencils?!

Posted by: JustMe | September 6, 2007 5:58 PM | Report abuse

The tide may be high, but this girl shouldn't be holding on with such ugg threads.

Posted by: eo | September 6, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

she's starring in an informercial for the 1st punk rock retirement community

Posted by: mm | September 6, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

The tide is high... and so am I.

Posted by: bigmon | September 6, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

and then to everyone's horror, Michael Jackson and Laurie Anderson exploded while posing with Blondie

Posted by: Conestoga | September 6, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Blondie Clip 'n' Save Recipe:
Heaps o' Fun and just 71!
Tater Tots and Cream of Mushroom soup over egg noodles! Tops!!

Posted by: POS | September 6, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

It's Dress Like a Barber Pole Day!

Posted by: Sako | September 6, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

85 comments and not a single mention THAT THIS IS COMME DES GARCONS...

Duh...

So the hair and make-up are wrong, SHE'S STILL WEARING COMME DES GARCONS. Which is more than I can say for Liz or anyone thinking they're making clever comments (they're not even funny, by the way). If you have to ask, you can't afford it, and you obviously don't understand anything about real style.

I win.

Posted by: xnowhereboyx | September 7, 2007 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"I'm ready for my closeup now Mr. Hilfiger."

Posted by: vamaddog | September 7, 2007 2:56 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth (which is "nothing" because Celebritology is not a democracy), my vote is for Thor's 4:10 - "From CBGB's to the heebie-jeebies..."

Brilliant, sez me.

Posted by: byoolin | September 7, 2007 7:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 7, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

On her way to Phyllis-Dillerism.

Posted by: rosieplichta | September 7, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

That's right, it's the Emperor's new Comme des Garcon

Posted by: Napolean | September 7, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"We are so proud of our little Debbie ... she picked-out her back to school outfit all by herself".

Posted by: Jay | September 7, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Harry cringes as the roach burns her fingertips at an unscheduled photo-op. (Note position of fingers on left hand).

Posted by: Right Winger | September 7, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

"Where's the beef?!"

Posted by: Caitlin Lane | September 7, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Well, you know, just because it's comme de garcon, doesn't mean squat.

Posted by: not bluto | September 7, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"SHE'S STILL WEARING COMME DES GARCONS. Which is more than I can say for Liz or anyone thinking they're making clever comments (they're not even funny, by the way). If you have to ask, you can't afford it, and you obviously don't understand anything about real style.

I win."

Spoken like a true effete little queen who thinks that his knowledge in one single area (fashion) makes him the arbiter of something he knows nothing about (humor).

Get over yourself, dude.

Posted by: huh? | September 7, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Cruella DeVille goes punk

Posted by: ASinMoCo | September 7, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

To xnowhereboyx - You should read that article about the heinous Louis bag that came out on the Post this week...not everything designer looks good. There are rich people with no class or taste that need clothes too, and designers sometimes happily serve that market.

BUT, that said, immediately going to "not famous anymore" or "old" or simply "ugly," is rarely funny and is often just mean. There's got to be a clever twist like "Does This Outfit Make Me Look Crazy Famous? Or Just Famous?" I have to say I really liked that one.

One bad outfit for someone known for a unique look does not totally old washed-up make, right?

Posted by: Sigh | September 7, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I think what I mean is, why diss the person as a whole for one silly photo? I noticed the same thing with the Chris Kattan contest, and notice those didn't win...

Posted by: Sigh | September 7, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

OUCH! Wounded by cutting edge fashion.

Posted by: Maritza | September 7, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, sigh. That's what I was trying to get across, although mine came out totally jackassy. And I know that there are a ton of fashion disasters out there, but this was nowhere near one.

Back in the day no one would ever think twice about mocking her for what she was wearing, so why start now? Just because the interwebs gives people who wear "mom jeans" and Dockers a forum to mock those who don't? This is just a poor attempt at being a second-rate gofugyourself, and it shows. Leave the style dissing to them, not people who don't understand (and as I said, if you have to ask or mock, you don't and probably will never understand --- fashion is a two-way street, people in the upper tiers look down upon most of the people posting commentary, so I don't understand the armchair experts' superiority complex).

Debbie's like 80 years old and just the fact that she still chooses to wear things like CdG is awesome. I'd venture to say that she probably still looks better than most of the people on this message board. How many of you can still wear things you would've worn back in the days of new wave?? I thought so.

And "huh?", as your intellectual, physical, and most likely financial superior who routinely gets told he should be a comedian, I say it is you who needs to get over me. Dude. Among other things, this "effete little queen" is a semi-expert in kickboxing, so I would gladly roundhouse kick you in the windpipe any day, even through your three chins.

None of the previous comments were funny, but this one made me smirk, so it gets my vote:

"Blondie indignantly points out that even though she looks like she's wearing a ferret nest it doesn't matter because it's COMME DES GARCONS.

Posted by: RD Padouk | September 7, 2007 08:07 AM"

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: xnowhereboyx | September 7, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Harry Scary!

Posted by: LA Shadow | September 7, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Rapture gone wrong....

Posted by: Anne | September 7, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Crapture

Posted by: td | September 8, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! tiwiealrxl

Posted by: gueiwnoimq | October 1, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

alelracacele

Posted by: nolino | October 27, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

The PU_PA makes use of a bioplastic Teijin developed with Mazda, branded Biofront, which is heat resistant and smells like life itself, give or take. [Green Car...http://all-info-here.com/

Posted by: ztrwgvifss | November 14, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

trdronpasnod

Posted by: orgetbasv | November 17, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Honda used to occupy this territory, but surrendered it with the demise of the Prelude. Of course, the other thing they note is the much smaller price tag, the Nissan starting in the mid 20s and working hard to eclipse $40,000, while the new Infiniti G37 requires a minimum of $47,350. Naturally, there are some sacrifices for Nissan's relatively bargain basement price. First off, the Infiniti gets 330 horsepower from its 3.7 litre V6, while the Altima Coupe sports 270 hp. That's about as much as the Nissan can handle as, unlike the G37, the Altima Coupe is a front driver. You can get a little torque steer from the front tires with the right combination of enthusiasm and slippery road. That makes a comparison with a Honda Accord...http://new-blog-for-you.com/

Posted by: eyaemhaloo | November 22, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

The Senate Finance Committee began searching for a compromise on how to deal with the estate tax's uncertain future. The tax, which is applied to inherited assets, is scheduled to disappear in 2010 only to come back in 2011 at the higher exemptions and rates that were in effect prior to 2001, when Congress cut the estate tax. Groups representing family owned businesses have urged Congress to make estate tax repeal permanent, but even their supporters concede that's not going to happen. "We can't get that done," said Sen. Jim Bunning, R Ky. "I support repeal, but we need certainty in this area," said Sen. Max Baucus, D Mont., who chairs the Senate Finance Committee. At a Nov. 14 hearing, the committee heard from billionaire investor Warren Buffett, Nevada rancher Dean Rhoads and Iowa manufacturer Eugene Sukup. Buffett, chairman and CEO of Omaha, Neb. based Berkshire Hathaway, recommended keeping the...http://blog-about-finance.com/

Posted by: agdxtsccji | November 26, 2007 4:43 AM | Report abuse

Life is sweet for the reunited Spice Girls USA Today

Posted by: xeyzphxfkv | November 28, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

letolisitpa

Posted by: virorovarac | December 28, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

baszeldro

Posted by: borold | December 28, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

delouelace

Posted by: lictrb | December 28, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

laelcnaca

Posted by: orouerbo | December 28, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

getchidom

Posted by: nonovicsitre | December 28, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

african shield african shield [link=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news1429.html]african shield[/link]

Posted by: african shield | August 17, 2008 4:32 AM | Report abuse

sql loader in oracle sql loader in oracle [link=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news266.html]sql loader in oracle[/link]

Posted by: sql loader in oracle | August 17, 2008 4:33 AM | Report abuse

teen candid teen candid [link=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news204.html]teen candid[/link]

Posted by: teen candid | August 17, 2008 4:35 AM | Report abuse

download free polyphonic ringtones in india [URL=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news248.html]download free polyphonic ringtones in india[/URL] [url=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news248.html]download free polyphonic ringtones in india[/url] [url]http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news248.html[/url]

Posted by: download free polyphonic ringtones in india | August 17, 2008 4:36 AM | Report abuse

hong kong hong kong [link=http://favoritethingsstudio.com/shopfts/images/icons/resource46.htm]hong kong[/link]

Posted by: hong kong | August 17, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

rieker shoes rieker shoes [link=http://nicolamenicacci.com/board/wp-content/uploads/media/23.html]rieker shoes[/link]

Posted by: rieker shoes | August 17, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse