Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 09/21/2007

Friday List: Inspired Albums

By Liz Kelly

My album cover. (Photo: BBC)

Jay-Z is back in the rap game, again. This time the Def Jam mogul, who (ahem) retired in 2003, says his new concept album was inspired by the new Denzel Washington-Russell Crowe flick "American Gangster."

"It immediately clicked with me," Jay-Z told the New York Times. "Like 'Scarface,' or any one of those films, you take the good out of it, and you can see it as an inspiring film."

Fair enough. But Hova's inspiration has inspired me, too, to create this Friday List asking what movies (or to widen the scope, TV shows) would inspire you to birth your own concept album -- rap, pop, punk or any genre of your choice. We'll just assume everyone participating has the mad skills required to get your brainstorms down on wax. Or MP3.

Just one caveat: No movie musicals for inspiration. That's just a little too meta. Or too easy.

My Pitch: I've seen the BBC production of "Pride & Prejudice" a gazillion times and Jane Austen's classic tale of class-crossed lovers is rich territory for my unique brand of acoustic hip-hop a-go-go. Songs would weave in varying threads about life, love, disappointment, whist and bust-boosting dresses. Singles: "She's a B**** Girl" remix and the catchy anthem "Mr. Darcy and That Arsy."

Share your pitches below...

By Liz Kelly  | September 21, 2007; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: A Sitcom in Britney's Future?
Next: Morning Mix: George Clooney Injured in Motorcycle Accident

Comments

I'm sorry...were there words in that blog post? I kept getting stuck at the picture....

Posted by: h3 | September 21, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

h3 and i are suffering from the same affliction: firthopia

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

this is too hard for my Friday brain. Somebody post something so I can be an amused bystander.

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Add me to the list.
So pretty..../smacks self back into consciousness

Posted by: 51 | September 21, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, me too, loves me some Mr. Darcy. I will be useless the rest of the day. Thanks Liz.

Posted by: st. louis | September 21, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

gosh, i'm glad 'b' said this was too hard. i was pondering why this type of list is something i can wrap my brain around. i think it has to do with dimensional type thinking where you're able to see connections between genres etc. i know, i know...stop thinking so hard.

anyway, i'm eager to see what the dimensional type thinkers do with this. loved Liz's 'austen power!'

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

er...meant to say this list is something i CAN'T wrap my brain around.

Posted by: methink | September 21, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Okay then. Let's just talk about Colin Firth. ..

Or submit future Friday List ideas that aren't too taxing.

Posted by: Liz | September 21, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Started by thinking of concept albums I liked - Whale Music by the Rheostatics from Paul Quarrington's novel - a recent discovery though recorded a while back, or Babacolmbe Lee, the Fairport Convention album about the Man they Couldn't Hang - though they tried three times.

And there are concept albums about places - John Linnell wrote one about State Songs, but Sufjan Stevens did him one better saying that he was going to do an album about each state, though he's backed off that claim after Michigan and Illinois. Stan Rogers first album, "Fogerty's Cove" was claimed to be a concept album after the fact as he didn't want to be pegged as only a maritime singer.

What about a concept album based on Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff" - or for a more psychedelic flavor - "The Electric Kool-Ade Acid Test".

Posted by: kdt | September 21, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

lol

poor Liz...

you should go over to fark.com and post this list idea. I bet u'd get some good responses.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

My album would be based on Mos Def's album "Black on Both Sides" except as a white, suburban girl, mine would be called "White on Both Sides"

And I happen to have a soft sing-songy voice with which would be singing and rapping - Think Marilyn Monroe's "Happy Birthday" but the rap version.

It's gonna be phenomenal.

Posted by: dizzy from the block | September 21, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

I can now only think of movies with Colin Firth, so maybe there should be a Firthology.

Posted by: firthie | September 21, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I know you said "no movie musicals" as inspiration, but surely you'd make an exception for a spoken-word version of The Sound Of Music, especially if the key roles were voiced by Roseanne as Maria and Lavell Crawford (of Last Comic Standing semi-fame) as Georg.

Supporting cast includes G. W. Bush, Weingarten, Rosie O'Donnell and Miss South Carolina.

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I would make an album inspired by West Wing. But I can't think of anything to go in it, just colin Firth.

Posted by: md | September 21, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Heh. How did you know that I had that running on my TV behind me right now Liz?

No concept albums...just love that version of P&P...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 21, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

colin firth, colin firth, colin firth.

when you say it three times fast it becomes a mantra.

his eyes are a tonic.
i want to wrap his curls around my fingers.

and when he dives into the lake at pemberley i pray, "dear lord, please let there be enough depth for that dive and no rocks on the bottom of the lake."

i'm sorry, i'm succumbing to austen power!
see what you started, liz!

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh, if we're talking favorite concept albums....mine would be the early Genesis (when it still had Peter Gabriel at the helm) "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 21, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

how about an album called 'catwomen'
with feline favorites:
the meow mix jingle
the year of the cat
what's new pussycat?
group sing: the cat came back
and more performed by halle barry, eartha kitt, julie newmar, lee meriwether, and nastasia kinski

dumb, ya?

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

How about an album inspired by the Big Lebowski? It could have remakes of All the Young Dudes, Dude Looks Like a Lady, and the Beatles classic Hey Dude.

Posted by: former field agent | September 21, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ok on the Colin Firth P&P theme since that is taking over the list - i wanted to buy that version on DVD but was reading some of the reviews on Amazon.com and they said the color is really washed out on some versions. Does anyone have a recommendation on which DVD version to buy? I love me some Firth!

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 21, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The appeal of Colin Firth is lost on me. Now, David Beckham. sssssssssizzzle.

Um, concept album.

Flavor of Love is my inspiration. I'd do a bluesy cover of "Rump Shaker," featuring the man himself, Flav. I'm a blues singer, and my voice is kind of raspy/mellow, so I'd do a really heart-felt slow number called, "That Bytch Spit On Me." Bonus Tracks: "I Had a Faux-Mance with Flav" featuring the song-stylings of Deelishus, with a few bars from break-out over-actress/rapper, New York.

Also, I'm going to work on getting that guy from The Real World who thinks he can scat.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 21, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit the color is washed out, but it does not take away from the overall story. This is the ONLY version to buy.

Posted by: st. louis | September 21, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Per the P&P DVD -

Yeah, it is a bit washed out, but it's not like you can do a whole lot about it.

You can either suck it up and buy the current set or be patient and see if they remaster it again....

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 21, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

well done former field agent.

Posted by: dude | September 21, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for the Firth love-fest & want to put in a word for Colin's younger brother, Jonathan. Also an actor & talented hottie.

BTW - love the idea of a spoken word Sound of Music. Can we get Shatner to do a part?

Posted by: wenharas | September 21, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

methinks: add the Manhattan Transfer ditty about the cat that fell in the well...

Dr. Strangelove concept album:

would include "Political Science" by Randy Newman; John Prine's "Flag Decal"; Bob Dylan's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Rainy Day Women"; maybe Tom Waits' "The Piano has been Drinking"; REM's "End of the World"; Green Day's "American Idiot" and "Holiday;" Michael Andrews "Mad World"

Brain. Hurts. Will watch now.

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Oh, wow! You have inspired me to resuscitate the Rock Opera with my magnum opus based on Coppola's "Apocalypse Now".
The horror...The horror.......

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

*sigh* do you notice how Colin's eyes follow you... Hmm, maybe they're just following me?

Posted by: JES | September 21, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I want that Austen Power! album to be angry Brit-punk with songs like, "I Want to Punch Mister Darcy in His Mouth for Sticking His Nose in My Business" and "Dump This Bag in the Firth-of-Forth."

What I'd really like to see, though, is an album of ballads dedicated to Mr. Belvedere.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | September 21, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm still opining on my pitch, but in the meantime, Liz, I wanted you to know that there's a Bollywood version of your inspiration called "Bride and Prejudice" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361411/).

Posted by: not bluto | September 21, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Liz,

This list is too hard for celebritologist who blogs at work. We need a quick easy list because they are too many nosy co-workers around who should be working instead of wondering what Lisa1 is doing.

To nosy co-worker: look at my computer screen one more time, I'll hit you with my stapler.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 21, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

yes, I've seen Bride and Prejudice. It wasn't as good as the original, but still good. I think Ashanti even did a little belly dance in it, dressed in traditional Indian garb. Aishwyaria Rai, I think is the lead actress's name. It's cinematography is beautiful, very colorful.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"The Macguyver Requiem"
In which everyone's favorite hero must rescue his buddy Jack Dalton from the infernal clutches of Satan, using only his wits, a paperclip, a pocket calculator, a sixty-chair orchestra, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Posted by: 51 | September 21, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

How did I misspell "MacGyver" and not "Tabernacle" in the above post?!

Posted by: 51 | September 21, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

i'm going to attempt a steely dan pop culture tribute album and can only imagine that donald fagen and walter becker would have my head on a pike if they find out...
dedicating songs to the women of celebritology:
based on her comments earlier this week re: her weight, keira knightly "only a fool would say that"
mary kate and ashley olson "babylon sisters"
amy winehouse "glamour profession"
briney spears "midnight cruiser"
lindsay lohan "doctor wu"
paris hilton "the royal scam"
kathy griffin "godwhacker"
angelina jolie "third world (wo)man"

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I've seen Bride & Prejudice as well, not very good and I love Bollywood movies.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

There's another Firth? Seriously?? I've got to check IMDB for more info.

I'm all for the Firth love, myself. I was thinking I needed a BBC weekend to watch "North & South," (no, not the Patrick Swayze one, the BBC one from Elizabeth Gaskell's novel, if i can make a quick shameless plug), but I see I'll have to add P&P to the line up. That's only about 8 hours of TV, it'll be fine.
Mmm, Firth. And when is that man going to be in another good movie, read: romantic comedy or period piece?
More Firth!

Posted by: Athens reader | September 21, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

From Frontline's 'War in Iraq'... a concept album recapturing that early 80's glampunk sound but with a country twist - beginning with a reimagining of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's Love Missile F-111 performed by myself and Lee Greenwood.

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | September 21, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

[Bride and Prejudice is no K3G or Devdas, that's for sure. Dhamaal (Hindi version of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World) is playing now at the Loehman's Twin!]

Since I've got Bollywood on the brain, my pitch would be a Bollywood bonanza based on Goodfellas. Can you imagine a bhangra explosion of lights, sound and color with dance numbers right before they whack Billy Bats? Hindi films always have a number where the main character is seeing him/herself with their lover and secret lover. I can just see Lorraine Braco and Debi Mazar being flung around by Ray Liotta. And Paul Sorvino would be the concerned yet caring Father figure who sings his hindi solo with the whole family dancing in a circle around him.

Posted by: not bluto | September 21, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Based on the picture, I can see Liz doing a Bridge Jones-esque interview of Colin Firth revolving around the lake scene of Pride and Prejudice.

I'd have to say my movie inspired album would have to be...Bridget Jones 1 and 2.
Baby Got Back
Like a Wirgin
A Buck 36 is Fat
What 2 Do (when 2 sexi men and a grrrl want u)
Mom's a Freak
Dad's Whipped
etc

Posted by: em | September 21, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

PS. This is even weirder because I'm not from the subcontinent nor do I know how to speak any of those languages. I guess 4 hour bonanza's of singing and dancing in different languages really cross the culture gaps. Haha

Posted by: not bluto | September 21, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

hmmmmmmm...

I pretty sure I'm going to get this wrong but here goes.

Invasion (sadly cancelled and I'm still not over it) - album by Tricky

Posted by: petal | September 21, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

petal! i too enjoyed 'invasion'! are we the ones?

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

which Firth came firth?

Oh, well, somebody had to.

Was Invasion the one set in Florida with all the creepy underwater critters? That was a good one! Maybe it'll show up on Chiller like Twin Peaks and American Gothic did.

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Since Liz's suggested Friday list is not getting much play, I propose the following alternative:
British Hotties (this may have been done before but I think it's worth a second look).
Tops on my list--Clive Owen

Posted by: still | September 21, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'll play, Damian Lewis

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The old guy from Benny Hill.

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Good British Guys:
Robson Greene
David Tennant
(ok, maybe just me) Richard Hammond - The Hamster from Top Gear
Daniel Craig

Posted by: jess | September 21, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, I'm digging on the Catwomen list. Meow!

Posted by: Oaktown357 | September 21, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

don't get me started on damian lewis...oh my he's wonderful. i also like nathaniel parker who plays inspector thomas "tommy" lynley on pbs 'mystery'. dark, brooding, fabulous.
and greg wise, the guy who played 'willoughby' in emma thompson's sense & sensibility (who later married the very fortunate ms. thompson) is also quite...fine.

yes, 'invasion' was the one set in florida following a hurricane. it was muy creepy. but there was also a terribly annoying child actor playing the daughter of the sheriff. i just remember her screeching the name of her cat, "car-LEEEEE-na!" i wanted to clamp my hands over that child's mouth and take her to the time out chair.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Nice list!

Richard Armitage tops my list.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

hey, not bluto -- or anyone else who knows: i've been trying for months to find out whether the bollywood flix at the loehmann's are subtitled in english. do you know?

Posted by: polly | September 21, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

To add to the Hot Brits list: the guy that plays Robin Hood on the BBC America. I think his name is Jonas Armstrong or something. He is cuuuute! I'll be his Marian anyday.
And of course Orlando Bloom but that just goes without saying.

Posted by: Melissa | September 21, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Babara Walters on 20/20, "Ewectwicwadywand"

Posted by: WCG | September 21, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Robson Green - I loved Reckless!! And Touching Evil too. They tried to do an American version of TE and it sucked.

Be sure to add Chiwetel Ejiofor to the list of hotties!

Posted by: elizabeth bennet | September 21, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

What about "Wuthering Heights in Semaphore Code"? Oops. Been done.
And fish slapping dance.

Posted by: POS | September 21, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I love Ewan McGregor, but we have a platonic relationship. Plus he's Scottish.

Posted by: POS | September 21, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, wait. Ioan Gruffud. Welsh. Not platonic at all when wearing white breeches and Navy coatie.

Posted by: POS | September 21, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

oh gosh, how could i forget that michelle pfeiffer did a turn as catwoman?
and she can sing too (see: the fabulous baker boys.)
i'll add 'stray cat strut' for her.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

too. many. lists. head. spinning.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

A concept albumn on masterbation
Remakes of these songs

"She Bop"
"I Touch Myself"
"Green Tambourine"
"Turning Japanese"
Etc.

Posted by: Mindypoo | September 21, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

How about taking a concept album and retooling it to become a feature film? I'd take Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and convert it into Hannah Montana's "The Mall"...with songs like "Comfortably Dumb" and "Another B**ch in the Mall"

Posted by: Ouch | September 21, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

nicely done, ouch!

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Seven words -- "The Madness of King George: The Album."

Posted by: zolabean | September 21, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

methinks, don't forget "She's a Maneater"

I always wanted an album of Elmer Fudd doing Elvis Presley songs....

"Since my baby weft me, I've found a new pwace to dwelw. It's down at the end of Wonwey Stweet, the Hotbwake Hotewl"

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

b-
I just came within an ace of spitting tea all over my keyboard. Congrats. Could we get Elmer doing "Burning Wuv?"

Posted by: 51 | September 21, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Omg. There's another Firth? Is *that* one single? I would also like to second the recommendation of "North & South," the Gaskell novel adaptation - holy mcsteamy!

Posted by: h3 | September 21, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Who among us doesn't wish that we'd been the first to suggest that Pat Boone should try singing heavy metal?

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, can I see your boobies?

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Can I play the British hottie game, too? As a fan of "The Wire," I have to put in my vote for Dominic West and Idris Elba.

Posted by: KLeewrite | September 21, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

methinks,

It seems that we are the only ones. Well us and like 8671 people who signed the online petition.

b,
Yeah it was the one with the under water creatures that made carbon copies of the real people. I enjoyed that show so much.

Posted by: petal | September 21, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Good picks, KLeewrite. I approve.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 21, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

2.40, I think you misspelled your name. Surely you meant to type "a-s-s-h-a-t".

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 21, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

no, no, no, let's not start this again!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

But since he already asked...

methinks, what do you say?

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 21, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Mindypoo,
"Shock the Monkey". Peter Gabriel seems quite into that (a-hem) theme.

Posted by: POS | September 21, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, there's a sublist.

I'm adding:
-Damain Lewis
-Jason Statham
-The guy from Death at a Funeral,I think he played Mr. Darcy in the P& P with Keira Knigthley
-Nick Moran

Posted by: petal | September 21, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

'It is a twuth wuniversally acknowedged...."

I'd buy Elmer Fudd's unabridged "Pwide & Pwejudice" any day!

Love that pic of Colin Firth too (...now off to find a pic of his brother!).

Posted by: Rachelt | September 21, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm going for a Pulp Fiction concept album here. A smidgen eclectic, I think.

Starts out with something Prince-ish called "What They Call it in France", follow that up with an Arctic Monkeys style "Brains on My Windshield", the gospel-y "It's The [Wallet] That Says...", and finally, the angry electronica stylings of "Pumpkin and Honey Bunny" (ft. Trent Reznor).

I think it could be a hit.

Posted by: loonatic | September 21, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

h3, I was pleased to see that I'd already seen the other Firth in stuff and had no idea that he was related to The Firth. :)

And so glad I'm not the only one who's heard of N&S. I've read the book, and when people see me reading it in public, I've had a couple feel a need to comment on how hot Patrick Swayze was in it, or how their cousin was a Civil War extra. Ummm, seriously. Well, I do live in Georgia.

Posted by: Athens reader | September 21, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

My good friend POS, you are right on the money with Ioan Gruffudd. Now, THAT man can rock some Regency gear. Sorry, Firth-Fans...Mr. Darcy pales, for me, in view of that dashing naval hero Hornblower. [sigh!]

Posted by: Maritza | September 21, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I am really at my breaking point with these handle usurpers. Liz, if you can't do something about this soon, I am afraid I will have to take my leave of Celebritology.

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 21, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

hey real byoolin!
answer: doubtful. but check w/me after cocktail hour begins. just t-minus 45 minutes! 'course i am at work, but when has that stopped me.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me a very sad person who needs to steal a blog persona. Hey loser fake byoolin get thee a life!

Posted by: sjcpeach | September 21, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

petal,
have you seen The 4400 (Sunday night on FX?) That is almost as cool.

For sexy brits, I love me some Robson Greene, but there's also something about Nathaniel Parker (Inspector Lynley)

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

British hottie? Alan Rickman (as anyone other than Snapes).

Posted by: lafred | September 21, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

[RE: Loehmann's Twin: I can't say that all 100% are subtitled, but I imagine most all of them are considering we're in the US. Chances are they use the same british english translations though. Haha half of the dialogue is in English anyway :)]

Posted by: not bluto | September 21, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

[Alan Rickman looks JUST LIKE Trent Reznor, why the heck am I the only person that thinks this?]

Posted by: not bluto | September 21, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

ohhhh. Hugh Laurie, in all his scruffiness.

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we just hijack every Friday list for the cataloguing of British Hotties and the DVDs That Feature Them? And did anyone miss it when we mentioned North & South before? Because, seriously. You do not want to miss it.

Posted by: h3 | September 21, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

See, Liz, even if you dismiss the idea of an "English Hotties" Friday List as "too subjective" (per yesterday's chat), the huddled, teeming masses will rise up and hijack The List to serve their own sordid purpose. It's pretty clear: we control the vertical, we control the horizontal....

Posted by: VoR | September 21, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Liz will never post another photo of Colin Firth again after this.

And really, I'm with h3, don't miss "North & South"! Really.

Posted by: Athens reader | September 21, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Kevin McKidd, although I'm very afraid of Journeyman. He's a Scot, and that still works.

Damian Lewis, although I'm also afraid of Life. These guys should stick to HBO.

Hugh Laurie. Sheer perfection.

Posted by: renselaas | September 21, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

If we're going to hijack the list, why not make it specifically about British Hott Men in period costume? Damian Lewis in the Forsyte Saga was smokin'. Hugh Grant, in Sense & Sensibility, was not.

Posted by: renselaas | September 21, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

polly, most of the bollywood movies at Loehmans are subtitled. But subtitles are really not necessary--the movies follow two basic formulas:
1. boy meets girl; one of them is rich the other is poor/from a different social class/from a family hated by the other; melodrama and songs ensue; throw in a few fights; sometimes one of them dies and there's a reincarnation theme; but it all works out in the end.
2. A loose adaptation of a popular Hollywood movie.

Posted by: still | September 21, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

not bluto, I am constantly thinking the same thing. You are not alone in this. I once found an amusing side-by-side comparison of Trent and Alan as Snape. Seriously, it's disconcerting. And awesome.

Posted by: loonatic | September 21, 2007 5:35 PM | Report abuse