Posted at 8:01 AM ET, 09/21/2007

Morning Mix: A Sitcom in Britney's Future?

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Cable company pulls Alicia Silverstone PETA ads... Mary-Louise Parker steps out with new daughter... Matt Damon, Don Cheadle, Fergie and other stars ask world leaders to help Darfur... Jay-Z at work on new album inspired by "American Gangster"... LeBron James and Kanye West to kick off new "Saturday Night Live" season... Brad Pitt in talks to join Mark Wahlberg in boxing movie... Rod Stewart's son to stand trial on assault charges... Snoop Dogg gets probation for airport weapons charge... Rapper The Game dismissed on police impersonation charges... TMZ.com mistakenly posts video of faux-Lance Ito commenting on new O.J. charges.

Rumor Mill: Britney Spears up for role on NBC sitcom?... Are J.Lo and mom on the outs?... Lopez gives London hotel a laundry list of demands... Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban buy Nashville acreage... Celebutante Kim Kardashian poses for Playboy cover; and is she dating Terrence Howard?... Tori Spelling to be a guest Pussycat Doll... Barbra Streisand contemplating another tour... Spoiler Alert: "Sex and the City" movie plot details.

Say What?
"That's really a reformation, isn't it... but, honestly, that's like soggy old dead carcasses. You know listening to Stink try to squeak through 'Roxanne' one more time, that's not fun. It's like letting air out of a balloon." -- Johnny Rotten comments on the Police reunion tour

By Liz Kelly  | September 21, 2007; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Me & Mr. Tarantino
Next: Friday List: Inspired Albums

Comments

guess kim k. passes the baby wipes test.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

ha ha ha ha!
Too funny methinks.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Britney get that sitcom job, if only to watch the first scene after the first commercial break, when Chandler breaks down, cries like a baby and begs to be reunited with Janice.

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

The Sex and the City movie irritates me more and more. Few shows actually manage to end well - but Sex and the City did and someone still feels compelled to carry on the story.

Posted by: MGC | September 21, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love Johnny Rotten. While I wholeheartedly agree with him, it is a little disingenuous given that the Pistols have done two reunion tours and are doing a reunion show later this year.

...but then again, they did put Sting in their movie. He played a guy who tried to... umm... have a wide stance with Paul Cook.

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | September 21, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

MGC, don't see it then. Why let it irritate you?

And if Britney gets a job, I will barf. This culture just loves to reward stunningly bad behaviour. Let's make this out of control, talentless excuse for a mother make MORE money!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I'd go to the PETA website to watch the Alicia commercial, but seriously, I cannot stand smug vegetarians.

Posted by: 23112 | September 21, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

methinks, I had the exact thought! "I wonder if she uses baby wipes". I believe we have passed very, very far over the knowing-too-much-about-strangers (actually, about people we know that would be too much) line. Ew.

Posted by: LE | September 21, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Methinks, Kim K. may have pass the baby wipes test, she didn't pass the STD test.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 21, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

re: kim k: based on her past ..er.. perfomances, i'm sure you're right, lisa1.

re: terrence howard is a fine actor but now, when i hear his name, i think of baby wipes.

he brought it on himself.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Mary Louise Parker's daughter is a cutie, even with the irritated look on her face.

As long as Jay Z isn't attempting to act, I'm good. I have high hopes for the movie.

That Brit story is listed in the right place. She 1/4 a$$ed the MTV performance and hasn't shown up for anything else but she'll do a sitcom. Yeah right, I'll be surprised if there's a pilot.

Posted by: petal | September 21, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

the britney sitcom is probably along the same lines of that caveman thing and her own mtv performance. it's guaranteed to be crap, but enough people will be intrigued by the mere suggestion of it, so the network can rack up the advertising dollars for one show and call it quits. look at the mtv show; it was such a snooze it was as if they knew no one would watch after britney bombed so they just didn't bother. it's business and it's all about strategery ; )

Posted by: cee_jay | September 21, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"There's something about her that just connects with the audience"

What people are connecting with her? The drunk, no-talent, wipe grease on expensive clothes people? I just wonder what kind of a job Matt Perry's character has that would lead him to need a person like Brittany to make him look better

Posted by: Irish girl | September 21, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

There was already a remake of this tv show, it was called Ned & Stacy with Thomas Haden Church and Debra Messing

I guess with the inclusion of Brit Brit, it is guranteed to be another post-Friends failure (RIP Joey and Studio 60)

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Alas, it is not to be. Access Hollywood says the an NBC flack told them the report that Britney will be in the sitcom is not true.

On the plus side, this means there's still a chance that she'll be the #1 star of the Style Network's "Celebrity Train Wrecks" special.

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Geez. "the an" isn't even English.

Posted by: byoolin | September 21, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

If anybody can tear themselves away from Celebritology for a few minutes, On Parenting is asking people to give parenting advice to Britney. That should be a good one.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

tear myself away from Celebritology???
Are you mad????? i'm not sure how i get my work done each day.

Posted by: methinks | September 21, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I actually got to where I liked Studio 60, although I like 30 Rock a lot more.

Posted by: b | September 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"There's something about her that just connects with the audience."
Maybe a long line of spittle?
We should have a Friday list of Brit's sit-com. Make up the name, plot, and cast.

Posted by: POS | September 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Ahh Johnny, ever the iconocalst. It would help his case if I thought he had actually sene them. I saw them up at Virgin Festival and they smoked everybody else who played...no, not in that way. Really great set.

Posted by: EricS | September 21, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to refer the On Parenting blog to the many tips Celebritology has compiled for Brit Brit.

The fact that she isn't even straightening up after the judge's order I don't know that there's a possibility of success here.

POS,
Love that idea. There are soooooo many possibilities.

Posted by: petal | September 21, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Looks like marriage has done little to help J.Lo-class grow out of her diva phase. When will these so-called stars begin to realize that the staff in the hotels where they stay and the restaurants where they eat are the same people who buy their music? Making ridiculous demands of these overworked and underpaid fans only serves to create animosity and put more distance between the high-paid phoneys and the "regular people" they want so desperately to like them.

Posted by: MisterBear | September 21, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Britney - they did that remake already in the early 90's and it flopped - Ned and Stacey with Thomas Haden Church and Debra Messing (oddly enough, currently available in Comcast's On Demand section)

Posted by: Alison in TN | September 21, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

But MisterBear, some stars have always behaved this way and it doesn't stop most people from buying their stuff (CDs, movie tickets, concerts), whatever. People expect them to be demanding, outrageous, arrogant, and overly-dramatic. It's probably part of the appeal, because a lot of people probably wish they could get away with the same behavior, and envy the stars their sense of entitlement.

Oh that crazy Mariah made the hotel staff buy six bags of skittles, put them in a crystal bowl and pick out all but the red ones. What a hoot she is.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 21, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Anonimis, so true. And I guess that's one of the things that galls me most about our culture - that we're too apathetic/hypocritical/stoopid to boycott and turn our attention away from the public personalities that we collectively find most annoying.

Take, for instance, Britney, Paris and Lindsay (PLEASE!!)

Posted by: MisterBear | September 21, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

maybe these two could give Britney lessons on parenting.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Poor Matthew Perry has had substance abuse issues in the past, can you imagine what the thought of working w/Brit Brit would do to his sobriety?

Posted by: JES | September 21, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Did Johnny Rotten really stay "Stink" or was that a typo, Liz?

Who's Kim Kardashian? Nah, who cares.

Posted by: Californian | September 21, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

it says Stink in the original article.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

J Lo's requests weren't outrageous. She's a celeb. I would set things up to eat in my room in peace too, look at all of the paparazzi!! And some of those items are probably for her or Marc Anthony's staff/hangers on. Do you think their staff just stands around and watch them eat? C'mon.

Posted by: tlawrenceva | September 21, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Actually, that rider for Lopez really isn't that bad. If nothing else, it's stuff that is easier for a concierge to pick up than for her to send a staffer out to try to find.

Posted by: 23112 | September 21, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...I kind of find it hard to get worked up about celebrity riders these days. If I had to travel all the time for work, and also had several bazillion dollars and a structure for making demands, I'd ask for familiar stuff, too. I'm more impressed when they're demanding, like, m&ms but with the greens picked out.

Posted by: h3 | September 21, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Baby wipes test? Huh? Clue an old fart in, wouldya?

Posted by: Petey | September 21, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

thanks to the link from 12:31, I have "Wheels on the Bus" stuck in my head.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Petey, there was a link a few weeks ago to an interview with Howard where he said women who want to be with him need to clean themselves with baby wipes. It was hysterical.

Posted by: Jo | September 21, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

here's the original interview from Elle with Terrence HOward:

Posted by: LE | September 21, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

ELLE: What one item could you find in a woman's house that would prove that you weren't compatible?
TH: Toilet paper--and no baby wipes--in her bathroom.
ELLE: Wait. I don't think I understand.
TH: If they're using dry paper, they aren't washing all of themselves. It's just unclean. So if I go inside a woman's house and see the toilet paper there, I'll explain this. And if she doesn't make the adjustment to baby wipes, I'll know she's not completely clean.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

So, TH is a misogynist. As if his behind smells like a rose garden.

Posted by: Californian | September 21, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

he is stunningly egotistical and bizarre. And yes, he has a very "girls are icky" aspect to his sentiments.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse