Posted at 7:48 AM ET, 09/ 7/2007

Morning Mix: Brad Pitt 'Stifled' Attraction to Angie

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Brad Pitt says he stifled his attraction to Angelina Jolie while wrapping up marriage to Jennifer Aniston... Rut roh: VMA producer says Britney Spears opener will "set tone" for awards show... Malawian official visits Madonna's home to assess adoption... Michael Lohan visits daughter Lindsay in rehab... "High School Musical" star Vanessa Hudgens calls nude photo "unfortunate"... Jay-Z says he plans to marry Beyonce "one day soon"... Gwen Stefani unveils new L.A.M.B. collection at New York Fashion Week... Edie Falco to guest star on NBC's "30 Rock"... 50 Cent and Kanye West to face off on BET... Stephen Colbert's cast raises $17,500 for charity... Ben Kingsley marries wife number four.

A solo George Clooney adjusts his tie at the Venice Film Festival. (Reuters)

Rumor Mill: George Clooney dating "Fear Factor" winner?... Balcony-hogging Jessica Simpson annoys Fashion Week party-goers... Paula Zahn blew her fortune, says estranged husband... PIc: Is Pete Doherty giving his kitten crack?

Chat, Noon ET: Director Paul Haggis discusses his new movie "In the Valley of Elah," starring Charlize Theron and Tommy Lee Jones.

Say What?
"I am a very giving person. When the hurricane thing happened, I went to my closet, filled six boxes of stuff and said to my assistant, 'Take it to Katrina!' I also like to give stuff to people who are my 'workers,' especially if they don't make much money." -- Civic-minded punky popster Avril Lavigne

"Mentally, physically, I feel pretty on top of my game right now. Talk to me next week, I don't know. Today, I feel good." -- World weary Mary-Kate Olsen, 21. (Bonus: Ashley Olsen)

By Liz Kelly  | September 7, 2007; 7:48 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Debbie's Hairy Get Up
Next: Britney Spears: The Naked Truth

Comments

I read that quote and first thought it was out of Brit's mouth...LOL...Poor Avril.

Posted by: Wow | September 7, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Editorial suggestion:
"Balcony-hogging Jessica Simpson annoys [your name here]..."

Mary-Kate Olsen will likely feel less good next week after the last of the calories from the cracker that constituted her diet this week gets burned off.

Brush with Celebritology Department: I saw Avril Lavigne last weekend. She, her husband Deryck Whibley and Cone McAslin (both of Sum 41) were crossing the street at the intersection of Front and York streets in Toronto. We were within three or four feet of each other.

All she gave me was a look like I was that kid in the first verse of "Sk8er Boi."

Posted by: byoolin | September 7, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Freudian slip in that Britney story by Mike Fleeman?

"She'll be dancing, performing, dong her thing. That's exactly what we all want."

Dong her thing, all you want, Mike. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole (mine or yours).

Posted by: byoolin | September 7, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Too many commas in that last one. Should have said, 'Dong her thing all you want, Mike. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole (mine or yours).'

Posted by: byoolin | September 7, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Though there have been times when I have been tempted to give my dog a valium or at least some nyquil, but to purposesly give his kitten crack, that is not a sane person. Has someone called the UK version of SPCA?

Posted by: st.louis | September 7, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

i'm sure i was the only person to click on the ben kingsley link so here's the quote of the day which you might have missed, save for my astute eye. This is Sir Ben speaking of his new, younger bride--I think she's 23 or something:
"We're extremely happy. Daniela is like an ancient mythological princess. She has great dignity. She moves like an ocean liner."

Ancient mythological princess?? Moves like an ocean liner?? Somehow I think moving like an ocean liner describes Queen Victoria, not a 23-year-old bombshell from Brazil.

Posted by: methinks | September 7, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

MK, if you feel this way at 21, god knows what you'll be like at 40.

Avril, I gave this advice to Jessica, now I'm hoping you take it to heart....STOP TALKING!!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Dear Brad Pitt,

Your divorce was almost three years ago. America has moved on and you should consider moving on to. You're getting enough press saving the world with Angie that you don't need to bring the whole Jolie vs. Aniston debate back into it again. Do us all a favor and stop talking about it.

Kisses,
KG

Posted by: KG | September 7, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Dear KG,

Please tell the media to stop forcing me to talk about my divorce just so that I can do my job and promote my newest film project.

Hugs,

Brad

Posted by: Brad | September 7, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Hey,

I don't think Mary-Kate deserved a "Say-what" today. She has been working and in the spotlight since she was an infant. How many of us had to endure that? Yes, she's rich because of it, but I think she is still allowed to be worn out after 21 years of working, battling eating disorders, hiding from the paps. Most people would be considering retirement after over 20 years in the working world. I don't know. Strange for me to say, but I empathize.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 7, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I just re-read. Let me clarify. I know it's not like she had an eating disorder or had to worry about being "sexy" when she was an infant. But you know what I meant.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 7, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, can't talk today. Avril and I are filling garbage bags full of shoes for the gardener. So then he doesn't need a raise.

Posted by: POS | September 7, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt should stop answering questions about his life before,during,after Aniston if he expects people to stop asking those questions. He could simply say in answer, "I've answered those questions before. It's not relevant to my life now. Next question." As someone in the journalism business, it's tough to write about a topic if the subject isn't talking.
Perhaps he keeps answering the questions so the tabloid writers at least get his story straight but I believe there must come a time when he says, "Enough, already."

Posted by: methinks | September 7, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I'll let the filling six bags of stuff for people in Katrina and giving them to your assistant...but this...

"I also like to give stuff to people who are my 'workers,' especially if they don't make much money."

Workers? Does she mean her underpaid employees? I can't do anything but laugh, because that is just sad...sad and ridiculous...ridiculous and scary...scary and pathetic...pathetic and greedy.

I thought she was all empowered and aware...I guess that hair dye seeped into her brain.

Posted by: Mina | September 7, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

methinks, Kingsley's wife is 32.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

if Brad says "enough already" he gets reamed from the press, like Angelina did, for not answering questions about his family, etc. It is a no win situation.

And I am not getting why that quote from Olsen is so awful?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I bet Avril probably meant the hangers-on that tend to flock like pilot fish around the ponderous whale sharks of modern celebrity, waiting for cast-off clothes, free booze and drugs, and the chance to bang the occasional wide-eyed fan (or dealer). I mean, seriously...what did Cameron Crowe call them in Almost Famous? Band-Aids (or "mah posse")? Women have them just as sure as men do.

Posted by: 23112 | September 7, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

23112, I think you're reading more into Avril's comment than was there. Basically, she was talking about her staff and how she doesn't pay them enough but makes up for it by giving them last year's fashions. That's it. She said "my workers" not "my groupies"

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Not only does Avril give us tunes to jam to she stands as a shining example of an excellent human being.

The ancient mythological princess bit might be considered a compliment but I'm stomped on the ocean liner bit. Maybe Ben's new bride glides thru a room or ....... nevermind. I'm reaching.

I don't think Pete is giving his cat crack, at least not in that picture. It looks like a bottle of alcohol, which I suspect he is about to share with the cat.

Posted by: petal | September 7, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

George, dude, a cocktail waitress who was on a reality show? Really?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

the Avril thing is far worse when you read it all. Her "Ten Commandments" list, from which this came, is posted at Perez Hilton

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"It's important to be thankful, even if you are poor. I mean, we all have clean water."

lol

Posted by: wow | September 7, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Probably, but what the hell. I loved the metaphor.

Posted by: 23112 | September 7, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I like "I was born to do this, and so I've learned how to cope". Oh yes, Avril, like Marie Antoinette? and "Anyway, if you do hate me, you're the loser, not me".

They all are good, though. Her lack of self-awareness and perspective are stunning.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Before we pick too much on Avril's lack of Selbstdarstellung, remember that she's just 22.

Posted by: byoolin | September 7, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

And from Freakin' Boonies, Canada.

Posted by: 23112 | September 7, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, you can be 22 and not a total ass. Yes, most 22 year olds lack perpspective, a sense of the future, and are amazingly self-centered and ridiculously immature and overdramatic, but she is over the top even for 22.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:36 AM | Report abuse

OMG, everyone needs to read that link to Perez. The quotes from Avril are truly laugh out loud level

Posted by: JL | September 7, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I really don't think (going back a few comments) that America *has* gotten over the Aniston-Pitt divorce. Think of all the people who, whenever the topic of Angelina Jolie comes up, start writing furious comments about how she's a homewrecker.

Posted by: h3 | September 7, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 7, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Selbstdarstellung = Self-Manifestation

Posted by: For Those Who Don't Speak German | September 7, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

i stand corrected, kingsley's bride who glides like an ocean liner (what a metaphor) is 32. i transposed the numbers.

i guess there ain't no transposing poor avril lavigne, though, she's 22 either way you look at it. bless her heart, as we say in the deep south where we have dogfights on a regular basis.

Posted by: methinks | September 7, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Avril gets a pass, at least she is trying. If the worst we can find to snark about regarding her is her charity faux pas, the kid is doing pretty good.

You missed the good Olsen story. MK said she hates to smile because she doesn't want the paps taking her picture. Sweetie, if you are posing on the red carpet, you're there to get your picture taken. You don't want your picture taken, stay off the red carpet.

Posted by: ep | September 7, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"I'm not surprised to Pete Doherty gave his kitten crack. I had a friend who tried to teach his dog to smoke weed so he wouldn't have to smoke alone. LOL"

Well, show me your friends, and I show you who you are.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

ep, read ALL Avril's Ten Commandments. (and the very idea that a 22 year old with no clue what real life is like is giving us advice sort of proves the points people are making). You might rescind that pass.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

yeah, I was more than a little taken aback by the "LOL" after Lisa1's story there. That is not funny. It is abuse.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The MK story said that she doesn't mind posing and smiling when she's on the red carpet - she expects it there. She just doesn't want to smile or do anything in public because she doesn't want it dissected in the press. I kind of understand her reasoning on that one.

Posted by: Stuck@Work | September 7, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

oh yeah, the mary kate olsen thing? i read the article and thought, well..good for her. she knows when to smile and when she doesn't want to smile. she doesn't want to encourage the papz so she doesn't put herself in the position to be overly scrutinized (i.e. swimming in malibu). i'm sure she realizes it's going to happen anyway.

btw, i can't tell those girls apart even when their hair is dyed different colors.

Posted by: methinks | September 7, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

k

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Think of all the people who, whenever the topic of Angelina Jolie comes up, start writing furious comments about how she's a homewrecker."

Or defends her like she is a saint.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

B,

Can't you just demur as you've done for the past three years? Talk a little more about how you're a triple-bagger now that you've hit 40. Or allude to Angie being bad in the sack.

For more tips you're going to have hire me as your pulicist.

Cuddles,
K

Posted by: KG | September 7, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Or defends her like she is a saint."

"That's because she didn't do anything wrong."

"Yes she did. She's an evil homewrecker."

"She adopts kids. Humanitarian...blah blah blah."

"So, what. She just does that out of selfishness."

"No, she doesn't!"

"Yes, she does!"

"Shut up, stoopid."

"No, you shut up, idiot, and learn how to spell!"

"Jerk!"

"A$s-hole!"

There...now we can skip it and move on...

Posted by: Let's just skip it... | September 7, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

The article on Pete Doherty also notes that squirrels in Brixton have become addicted to the crack that they find hidden in parks and gardens and also notes that "crack squirrels" are a recognized problem in NYC and DC. This certainly needs further investigation!!

Posted by: JDG | September 7, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

K,

Thanks for the free advice, but if these guys haven't given up after three years, they never will. You don't know how they wear you down until you just say something to shut them up. Sorry to complain, since I'm a millionarie and super-hot and all, but, hey, it's hard being this wonderful.

Smooches,

B

P.S. Angie's very bendy.

Posted by: Brad | September 7, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

crack squirrels...

And pigeons. You can't tell me those NY pigeons haven't been smoking SOMETHING...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Great. Once the junkies learn about crack squirrels, in city parks everywhere cute lil' rodents will be overhunted to extinction.

Sorry about your jones, Rocky.

Posted by: Cubeland, MD | September 7, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Like Garth Brooks said " I have friends in low places."

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 7, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Lisa1, I had a buddy in college who watched football and drank beer with his cat so I understand.

Posted by: Go Spartans | September 7, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

"Or defends her like she is a saint."

Because she is an awesome person. We are not defending her for getting with Brad. We are defending her because of what she does with the world. We, from the pro-Angelina group, are completely over the Aniston feud.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Genius, "Let's just skip it." Can we do that for other arguments, too? I think someone should have them ready and just cut-n-paste when appropriate. ("Writing about celebrities is dumb" "no it isn't")

Also - seriously, crack-addicted squirrels around the world? If you see that in the pages of a magazine near you next spring, blame me.

Posted by: h3 | September 7, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

This is so funny. How do you know she is awesome and if you are over it, why did you respond. What are you 12?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

you're clever. i was just making a point as to why we defend her -- because of what she does now in the world. not what she did regarding the aniston/brad divorce. that has nothing to do with it. whatever. i'm done with it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

oh, it won't matter anyway in a couple of years, she will start cutting herself again, fall in love with a married co-star, go back to her lesbian lover or start kissing her brother again. Brad can then take all the kids and move to MO.

Let's just all be friends.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Sorry H3...doesn't look like it took.

Posted by: Let's just skip it... | September 7, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Back to little Avril - there was a HILARIOUS E!Magazine article on her a few years back. To paraphrase: "The guy next to me is asking the girl he's with if she is REALLY done throwing up; the floor is sticky and smells. I'm at Avril L's latest show and it's almost like old times going to a concert again. But the guy is a dad, and the girl is about six years old and Avril's playing in a shopping mall, desperately trying to overcome her famous inablity to connect with a crowd..."

Now we know why.

Posted by: Bogota | September 7, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"Somehow I think moving like an ocean liner describes Queen Victoria, not a 23-year-old bombshell from Brazil."

Hey, have you ever seen the Queen Victoria races? That monarch can move. :)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | September 7, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

don't forget adopt some poor kids to make everyone thinks she's "awesome" to distract from the fact that she is a total homewrecker and so is that jerk off brad. he wrecked his own home

Posted by: des | September 7, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

When I was in London almost 2 years ago, there was a big write up about the crack squirrels in the nightly paper. I am seriously curious what a crack squirrel does and how it acts so if anyone finds any in DC, be sure to video tape it and post it for us to see.
(I do not advocate cracking up squirrels)

Posted by: Rob | September 7, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry H3...doesn't look like it took.

You are such a cry baby. You don't get to control the discussions.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

That poor kitten ... s/he needs a new loving home pronto! Poor squirrels, too ...

Why would someone name a song "Sk8er Boi"? What language is that? Just wonderin'.

Is it just me, or is the question to Jay-Z about when he's going to marry Beyonce, totally sexist and condescending? Why don't they just ask him when he plans to make an honest woman out of her? And why is it anyone's business if Jay-Z and Beyonce get married? Frankly, I find it extraordinarily refreshing that people still know how to, to use an old-fashioned word, "Go steady". If more people didn't rush headlong into marriage within the first 5 minutes of lust-rush, perhaps the divorce rate wouldn't be around 60%. Or about 95% with celebs.

Posted by: Californian | September 7, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Neither 'Crack Aaddicted squirrels' nor 'Crack addicted pigeons' is a googlenope!!

Posted by: jes | September 7, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

How about we change it to Jessica Simpson annoys (insert your name here). After all is it really the balcony hogging that sets our teeth on edge?

Posted by: j | September 7, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I submit that there are crack raccoons as well. The raccoons here are on something. There's been more than one instance of them chasing after people getting out of cars and one case of a puppy coming under attack as well.

Unless of course that is natural raccoon behavior.

Posted by: anony | September 7, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Let's just skip it" - sigh. And it seemed like such a good idea!

Posted by: h3 | September 7, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing natural about a raccoon chasing a dog. Either that dog is totally gay or the raccoon was sticking his nose in the snow.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't know about the raccoon/dog thing, I've fought off more than a few overly amorous dogs and rabbits who were humping my legs, and was once chased by an amorous male emu. Didn't seem to faze them one bit they I was a different species!!

Posted by: Californian | September 7, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt is at the level of celebrity where he controls the topics during interviews. The terms of the interview are spelled out beforehand. By him and his publicist.

Therefore, if Pitt is now talking about his breakup with Aniston, it's because, for whatever reason, it's become part of his current PR agenda. IMO

I think Brad Pitt takes his status as a movie star very seriously. And works conscientiously to build the myth and the mystique. Even the frenzy.

JMO, but I think Pitt himself fuels the media frenzy around him. Of course, a lot of it is already there but he makes sure to keep it alive.

When married to Aniston, he helped to promote himself and Jennifer as the "golden" couple.

Now with Angelina, it's the kids who are constantly getting pimped out. Why have each of their kids been given a very high public profile? IMO, because they are being used to build the mystique.

For example. No one is a bigger movie star than Denzel Washington. Does anyone know exactly how many children he has or what any of them look like? Why? Because Denzel wants it that way.

Same with Steven Spielberg. He and his wife have a big family of adopted children.
Surely they must go on many family outings together. Yet, surprise. Somehow it does not end up in the media. The kids don't get their faces plastered in the tabs.

But when Pitt and Jolie take the kids to Central Park or to buy a hot dog in Times Square, somehow there just happens to be a film crew from Entertainment Tonight there right at the same time. What a coincidence!

I happen to believe that Brad Pitt is one of the all-time great guys and that probably any woman who has ever been involved with him has never really gotten over him or found anyone else to come anywhere near to replacing him in any profound way in her affections.

Nevertheless, I still think that Brad is so involved with mapping out his PR strategy and securing a place for himself in the history of cinema and celebrity, that he does not take measures to secure the privacy of his children. Especially since Angelina shares with him perhaps a bit of an exhibitionalist streak.

JMO. And I think they are both great people who are doing a lot of good.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm proud of myself. I thought I wasn't going to read that whole thing, but I did. My attention span is improving with age. IDK, JMO, I think this internet slang are TCAUFPOTTU (Totally crazy and unnecessary for people over twenty-five to use.), IMO.

Posted by: IDKWIAM | September 7, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

IDKWIAM, YASR*.

*You Are So Right.

Posted by: h3 | September 7, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm so glad someone else said it. Trying to figure out the slang sometimes doubles the amount of time it takes to read a post!

Posted by: YASR | September 7, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

and it is totally unnecessary. Who else's opinion would all that have been? We KNOW it is JYO!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think JMO is a sign of good manners. When you make a critical observation, if you make the effort to point out that it is only your own opinion, it is a way of acknowledging that there may be many other differing opionions.

Even if this is self-evident-- of course, people hold varied opinions -- it is still a way of showing respect to the person about whom you are making a critical observation.

Posted by: bk | September 7, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

that is what the words "I think" or "I believe" are for.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 7, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I feel as if I've maybe turned onto the wrong hallway and gone through the wrong door and somehow walked into a meeting of the AARP.

Posted by: ami | September 7, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

You don't want to know how long it took me to figure out JMO and IMO.

Also, I think anony and I live in the same place because the raccoons in my area do the same thing only they travel in a pack.

Posted by: petal | September 7, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Albino Python and the Crack Raccoons would be a good name for a metal band. The Amorous Male Emus would be a good name for a band, too, but I cannot figure out what genre. Emo, maybe?

Posted by: LE | September 7, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with the previous poster, Brad Pitt is a publicity genius. His new movie is coming out, so he suddenly reveals his great sensitivity in breaking up with America's Sweetheart. It was a surefire headline-grabbing statement, and an effort to make himself look good as he starts his campaign for an Oscar.

Posted by: Pam | September 11, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse