Posted at 7:54 AM ET, 09/24/2007

Morning Mix: George Clooney Injured in Motorcycle Accident

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: George Clooney breaks rib in motorcycle accident... Britney Spears charged with hit-and-run in August parking lot fender bender... Salma Hayek gives birth to baby girl... Pregnant Nicole Richie frolics on Hawaiian beach... Mime Marcel Marceau dies at 84... Dennis Rodman investigated for smacking woman's rear... Rapper DMX investigated on animal cruelty charges.

Rumor Mill: Former bodyguard details life in the Spears household... Richie Sambora checks in to Utah's Cirque Lodge; fellow Cirque guest Lindsay Lohan named in another guest's divorce papers... Brangelina planning to adopt from Burma?... Cynthia Watros ("Libby") to return to "Lost" in flashbacks.

By Liz Kelly  | September 24, 2007; 7:54 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday List: Inspired Albums
Next: Comment Box: A McCartney-Mills Update

Comments

Imagine my disappointment not being greeted by a Wyman-esque ode to Alice Ghostly this morning. Esmerelda deserved more.

Posted by: Darren #2 | September 24, 2007 8:31 AM | Report abuse

uhhh, that would be "Ghostley". Clearly, Samantha used to use her twitchy nose to handle spell-checking duties in the Stephens household.

Posted by: Darren #2 | September 24, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

The Clooney link is not a pop-up. It opens up in the same page as this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

First Brett Somers, now Alice Ghostley with no Wyman-esque tribute. What gives?

Posted by: Irish_Ed | September 24, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Yay! Libby! Yay!

Posted by: mark | September 24, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The first line of Patricia Sullivan's obituary for Marceau was a little piece of genius: "Marcel Marceau... died quietly in Paris on Sept. 22."

Nice touch.

Posted by: byoolin | September 24, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Two questions on the bodyguard's interview about Britney. 1. How come it's in rumor mill? and 2. Why does this American guard seem to speak in British slang? (She destroyed a phone during a "row" with K.Fed, she "looked a sight.") Do they translate quotes into British English over there at the Daily Mail?

Posted by: h3 | September 24, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Well, if you subscribe to the Gene Weingarten "newspaper reporters can manipulate quotes to make them sound better" school of jounralism, then I'd say, yes, the Daily Mail probably "cleaned up" the quotes a bit.

Posted by: to h3 | September 24, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

don't you mean Myanmar?

Posted by: pete | September 24, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Re: Alice Ghostley and Brett Somers.

I'm sorry. We here at Celebritology only report on stars over the age of 40 in extenuating circumstances. For instance, if Clint Eastwood were to date Lindsay Lohan we would be all over that. Similarly, Joan Rivers is fair game because most of her face is, in fact, under the age of 40.

I would explain in more detail, but I have to do the weekly maintenance to my Jane Wyman shrine. Candle wax is a b**** to remove from mahogany.

Posted by: Liz | September 24, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I love this part:

"Britney Spears has been charged with two misdemeanors including a hit-and-run for the incident back in August when she pulled into a parking space and hit a car, and for driving without a valid license. If convicted on both charges, she faces up to a year in jail. A City Attorney's spokesman says:

'According to the DMV, Ms. Spears was never issued a California license - ever.'"

So she has never been driving legally!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I am a reporter, and I definitely clean up quotes - duh - but I would never translate into American English. If a quote would be misconstrued by an American reader, I'd paraphrase.

Posted by: h3 | September 24, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Liz, the link from the front page is broken.

Posted by: tamerlane | September 24, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Liz! Brad Pitt was at the Washington Post on Friday?! Any sightings? Enquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: POS | September 24, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering about the Britney / license issue. Has she ever been issued a license? If not, it might be another part of the custody issue as every time we have seen her with the kids she has been driving illegally.

Posted by: MGC | September 24, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So all these times the cops have pulled her over, helped her push her car, etc.... they just overlooked the fact she didn't have a license?

it's kind of disturbing if they gave that twit a pass when she had her kids in the car.

Posted by: b | September 24, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

maybe she was licensed in Louisiana and never got around to changing it and that is why they gave her a pass?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

the daily mail always does that, and the interviews always seem to be fake. there was one recently about Jennifer Aniston and she was dating the brit

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about California, but in some states, including mine, if you are considered a full time resident of said state, you should be licensed in said state. It depends on the length of time spent in said state. And since the most recent embarrassing photos of Britney have been in California, we can assume that she is a full time resident of California, therefore should have a legal California drivers license.

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 24, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Apparently, the cops took her LA license as OK all the other times, yes. If she even had one. Hard to believe, but then cops and courts give celebrities breaks all the time in Los Angeles. Let me see an unknown Black or Latino man get away with it and then I'll be shocked.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeh. Unfortunately, Brad was at the downtown newsroom. Not our outpost in Arlington:

Posted by: Liz | September 24, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Brad looks very hot in the Jesse James trailer. Nice and broken in. (-;

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

gosh, you'd think they would have alerted the 'staff' celebritologist that a bonafide celeb was going to be in the house. you shoulda had a crack at him no matter which side of the potomac he was on. you bring a lot of biz to the website. shame on the chiefs! shame!

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm totally jealous. I wanna see Braaaaaaaaaaad toooooooo.

Posted by: Waaaaaaaaa waaaaa waaaa | September 24, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Richie Sambora's in the same rehab Lohan is in...hmmm...I smell another rehab hook-up coming on!!

Richie is old enough to be her dad, LiLo clearly has daddy issues, it's a celebritoligist's dream & this Bon Jovi fan's nightmare!!

But seriously folks, Bon Jovi has 10 dates in a row @ the new Prudential Center in NJ. Oct 25-Nov. 10, they're opening the place, how well can one get in that amount of time with that kind of schedule on the horizon?

Posted by: Bored @ work | September 24, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Nicole Richie just glowing? She looks healthy and beautiful. I hope she doesn't go back to being a stick post-partum.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 24, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

agreed, anon. nicole richie looks pregnantly beautiful. and i've always been a fan of the fit pregnant gal in a bikini look. though she will get a funny tan line when her belly goes back to normal.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Aren't there swimsuits for pregnant women? Or is a bikini on a pregnant woman appropriate if she is 25 and younger?

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 24, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

If Brit doesn't have a license, she doesn't have insurance either - are the cars in her name??

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 24, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Lisa1, I think the bikini looked really cute on her. I like that pregnant woman are accentuating their bellies instead of hiding them under tents, unless, of course, they are getting lots of stretch marks and feel uncomfortable baring it.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 24, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Wait a tick! Brad Pitt was in reach out and touch him distance and I missed it? The Post building is right there! I can see it from my office! See now I have a fresh case of the Mondays.

Britney needs her mother, a slap (to straighten her out) and a good board certified psychiatrist.

Posted by: petal | September 24, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Bet Brit's La. license is expired. Does make ya wonder about the insurance.

Is driving w/o insurance illegal in Calif?

I live in Tenn., and if you get caught w/o it here, you can wind up in jail.

Posted by: b | September 24, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, driving without insurance is illegal in California.

The Brit story is so sad. This woman needs to be in a lockdown mental institution with full-time care for awhile, for her own good, or she's not going to live much longer. Those poor kids.

Posted by: Californian | September 24, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

bathing suits for pregnant women used to (and probably still do) resemble those 'baby doll' dresses and tops the celebs and 'kids today' are wearing (w/and, in the case of britney, w/out pants!)
when i was pregnant, i wore a plain blue tank suit and let it grow. my sis in law wore a bikini and looked great.
some people don't like seeing the full belly but i say 'too bad, avert your eyes!' i don't like seeing thong bikinis and speedos on fat men so we're even.

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Cars cannot be in her name. When you apply for a title in your name, they need to see your licence and proof of insurance. So some idiot is buying cars for her, with her money one assumes, and handing over the keys to an often-stoned, often-drunken, unlicensed, uninsured idiot. Good job, enabler.
And we'll find out about the insurance in the lawsuit against her for hitting the car.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Just like the enablers who tell her she looks great when she looks a complete wreck and forgot her pants.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Actually, she could be driving without insurance, too (illegal, but only a big deal if you get caught without it). People do it more then you think...Sad. All the money and time in the world and she can't go to the MVA? Or as it may come out, the local Geico, Allstate, or State Farm office? And on the insurance issue, I wonder if her kids have health insurance? Have they ever been to a ped? Do they have their shots (do her dogs have theirs)? Sooo many questions. And it's only Monday, y'all.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 24, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

"Sooo many questions. And it's only Monday, y'all."

that's what liz is banking on!

Posted by: methinks | September 24, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

the mind boggles, WDC 21113!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

My boyfriend, who is latino, had his car impounded when a police officer stopped him and BF pulled out an out of state drivers license. We literally had moved to California two and a half weeks before, but the officer said that you have to get a Ca license within two weeks of becoming a resident of California. So my BF was driving illegally.

Posted by: californian | September 24, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What?! I lived in CA for 8 years and only 4 of those years did I have a CA DL. That was when my previous TX DL expired. How can you be forced to get a new DL in any state if your current license is still valid? I only get a new DL when it expires regardless of what state I am living in. I now live in VA and have a HI DL that is good until 2009. I've never been told to get a new VA DL. And yes, I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago (not my fault) in VA, with a HI DL, driving a truck registered in TX and the trooper on the scene made NO comment about any of it!

Not really a Celebritology topic but it just got to me on the whole driving illegally with out of state licenses. So does every tourist have to get a new license if they stay longer than 2 weeks? It should only be illegal if it's expired, not because it's from another state.

Sorry, folks. Back to the regularly scheduled topic...

Posted by: Jess | September 25, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse