Posted at 7:59 AM ET, 09/18/2007

Morning Mix: No 'View' for Barry Manilow

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Barry Manilow refuses to share "View" couch with conservative Elisabeth Hasselbeck... Manager and lawyer dump Britney Spears ... Secret witness in child custody case witness revealed to be ginormous former body guard; says Brit used drugs... Goldman family may seek O.J. Simpson robbery memorabilia... Mary-Louise Parker adopts baby girl from Africa... Justin Timberlake smacks pushy photog's camera... Diddy takes too-hot-for-TV perfume ads online... Simon Cowell gives Ryan Seacrest's Emmy performance low marks... 50 Cent cancels three European performances... Zsa Zsa Gabor to undergo leg surgery... "Match Game" panelist Brett Somers dies (sorry, no Wyman-esque appreciation to come).

Rumor Mill: FBI says no truth to K-Fed death threat... Federline to become regular on "One Tree Hill"... Rosie O'Donnell turned down Oprah show offer... Cate Blanchett uses stunt butt in "Elizabeth" sequel.

Good Read:
"...if the case ever gets to trial, Johnnie Cochran isn't around anymore to tell the jury, "If the stuff belonged to the Juice, you must let him loose." Or maybe, "If O.J. didn't aim the gun, you must let him run." -- The Post's Eugene Robinson, Fresh-Squeezed O.J. | Simpson break-in audio from TMZ.com (NSFW)

Say What?
"She's a total, raging, disgusting, rich, lazy party slut. I pray that my daughter will not turn out like her." -- Foo Fighter Dave Grohl tells us how he really feels about "lame" Paris Hilton

By Liz Kelly  | September 18, 2007; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: A Five-Point Planner for Brit
Next: Highbrow: O.J. Revisited Edition

Comments

No Wyman-esque appreciation for Brett Somers. W-T-F

Posted by: Irish_Ed | September 18, 2007 8:35 AM | Report abuse

I've always liked Dave Grohl, now I know why.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I saw Dave Grohl buying supplies in a Home Depot in Burke. I love him more now that I know he's a do-it-yourselfer.

Posted by: True Story! | September 18, 2007 8:44 AM | Report abuse

I love that David Grohl says what lots of people think, but won't actually say.

Posted by: Betty | September 18, 2007 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Dave Rocks.....who doesn't feel the same way?

Posted by: Foo Truths | September 18, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Now that "Team Britney" has an opening, I can finally offer my services to Ms. Spears. Unless this becomes "Celebritology with Byoolin ...and Liz Kelly", perhaps I can make my mark as manager for Britney?

Posted by: byoolin | September 18, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Well, Barry has sunk a few spots on my "list". As has Oprah for inviting Rosie if, that's true. Who's next, Britney?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 18, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I've always disliked Barry Manilow, now I know why.

And WOW, Brit got burned by her bodyguard! You KNOW you're f-ed up when your security entourage is coming out against you.

Posted by: 23112 | September 18, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else suspect that RoRo stiff-armed Oprah because that's an interview she can't control?

Posted by: Oh no, try again! | September 18, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Milhouse | September 18, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Backpedaling...this bodyguard testifying isn't the one that I thought, who'd been with her for a long time. This guy was hired in March and fired in May. Not to say that he doesn't have anything to say, but we all know Britney was absolutely out of her mind in that timeframe.

Posted by: 23112 | September 18, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Everyone knows Hasselback has no debating skills and bases all of her conservative beliefs on what other people told her. So...it's not like she's some bulldog whose gonna rip Barry M. to shreds. He is such a punk for cancelling. Who's scared of that noodle-spine Hasselback? Puh-lease.

Also, Simon Cowell is consistently fair and correct in his judging.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 18, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Britney needs to start the 5 point plan ASAP!

Dave Grohl, how right you are.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Liz, if you're up to leaving the house today, they are shooting scenes from the Russell Crowe movie down at 17th and Penn today. Movie crews setting up as I type....

Posted by: Juicy | September 18, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Oooh, thanks Juicy. I may just saunter down there once I'm done with Weingarten's show.

Posted by: Liz | September 18, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

-Dave Grohl's comment about Paris is under called for since he tried to date her few years ago. Paris was not impress by his 'Rock Star" status and he was not cute enough for her. Dave sound like a bitter high school reject.

-I thought One Tree Hill was canceled.

-When your powerhouse lawyer and powerhouse manager dumps you, your career is pretty much over.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 18, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

re: First, Charles Nelson Reily dies, then Brett Somers. This cannot be good news for Richard Dawson.

um, isn't Richard Dawson already dead?

Posted by: To Milhouse | September 18, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"Unfortunately, the show was not willing to accommodate this simple request so I bowed out," he said in a statement on his"

It's because your request was rude! It's like me saying I want to post on celebritology, but only if Liz doesn't post that day. I never understood why people want to be with people just like themselves. Expand your horizons Barry, she is a little annoying, but completely harmless. I doubt politics would have even been brought up.

Posted by: Irish girl | September 18, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

um, according to IMDB Richard Dawson is very much alive.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Long live Richard Dawson!
I wonder if there was some pact the Match Game panel had going on, like last survivor gets to take home that kick butt 70's retro set.

Posted by: Melissa | September 18, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Excellent Eugene Robinson reference - I hadn't read his take. It IS all about celebrity. Kurtz's Media Notes is also good on that angle (if not as funny!), esp where he wonders out loud if OJ still has the celeb pull to justify the media circus now that everyone's more and more focused on misdeeds of the rich, white and female.

Posted by: Bogota | September 18, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Richard Dawson is an animatronic. He died during the taping of "Family Feud" many years ago. He was replaced with one of the androids from "Westworld."

True 'nuff! IMDB is hiding the truth.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 18, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Don't know Brett Comers, Richard Dawson, Charlies Nelson, or Jane Wyman and, frankly, don't care to google.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

08:52 wasn't really me. ("me" being the "real" byoolin.)

I've already got a stunt double. Now I have a doppelganger. What's next, a voodoo doll?

Posted by: byoolin | September 18, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

You "don't know Brett Comers, Richard Dawson, Charlies Nelson, or Jane Wyman and, frankly, don't care to google."

And you want to be a Celebritologist...

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 18, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that Dawson may be cursed. Think of all the people associated with him who have passed on: Somers, Reilly, Rayburn, half of the Hogan's Heroes crew, including Hogan, Carter, Klink, Schultz, Hochstetter and Burkhalter, and Ray Combs, who hosted FF and later killed himself.

There's a trail of bodies in Dawson's wake. He may be Hollywood's answer to Ted Bundy.

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 18, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

wow, sorry I really though Mr. Dawson had passed on to that big game show in the sky or whereever. I'll try to keep my dead celebrities straight from now on.

Posted by: who knew? | September 18, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Ah Barry M., the intolerant liberal. Whassamatta, not comfortable being around people with different ideas from yours? If you can't explain and defend your beliefs, how strong are they/you?

Posted by: RVC | September 18, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Liz can start a Dead or Alive game on Celebritology. You'd be amazed how many stars are still alive that most of us thought were dead!

Posted by: AHA | September 18, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

If I may expand on RVC's question:

"If you can't explain and defend your beliefs" AGAINST ELIZABETH FREAKIN' HASSELBECK, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD "how strong are they/you?"

Posted by: byoolin | September 18, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Don't hassle the Beck!

(Someone had to say it.)

Posted by: tamerlane | September 18, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't blame Barry M. for blowing off those pretentious, jaw-flappin' gossip mongers on The View. Like their opinions count for anything? I think they all share one brain between them and Hasselbeck gets shortchanged on the days she gets to use it. She's a cutie, but then she opens her mouth and I can't help but think, "Where in the world does she come up with this ridiculous crap?"

They probably wouldn't let Barry get a word in edgewise, anyway.

Posted by: Libidinous Johnson | September 18, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I've always been a Dave Grohl fan. Now I love him!

Posted by: km | September 18, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

That's a pretty spineless move by Manilow. Grow a backbone man and just do the show. It's not like you're going to lose an argument to her anyway.

Posted by: EricS | September 18, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Good for Grohl! Can't say I'm surprised though. Folks who once led a life outside of LA-LAland know how BS that town really is, especially if growing up in the Washington area - then they really know BS when they see it.

Then again, it seems to be all the rage nowadays for older celebs to bash the younger set. Some things never change, Hollywood or not. Those young'uns just don't get it, do they. I sorta worry now that this marks Dave as "old" and no longer "cool." You know what happens once that buzz starts. How will real rock survive without him? ;]

Posted by: Petey | September 18, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Since Liz has declined to write a Wyman-esque appreciation of Brett Somers, I will:

She had those really big glasses. And her daughter Suzanne Somers invented the Thighmaster and was one of the original Charlie's Angels. I used to love it when, as an 8-year-old boy, I watched her talk dirty to Gene Rayburn. (In retrospect, I'm not sure if she really was doing that, but all those double entendres must have meant something.)

Brett Somers, we'll miss you. But at least we can still hear you sing "Love To Love You, Baby."

Posted by: byoolin | September 18, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

how about robinson's column this morning? it was pretty entertaining, wasn't it? that should be a contest, come up with the best jonnie cochran maxim... but those two from robinson will he hard to beat. those were great.

"if it's not Oj's voice on that tape, you gotta let him escape"

"If OJ didn't know those armed men, you gotta let him go again"

Posted by: not bluto | September 18, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Since Dave Grohl is around my age, he will always be cool. Those of us of a certain age never go out of style.

Posted by: st. louis | September 18, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

What Navin Johnson said!

Posted by: byoolin | September 18, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Brits powerhouse manager kinda has his own career headed for the toilet at his firm anyway.

Posted by: Stick | September 18, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Diddy's commercial is terrible. It's tasteless and stupid. Better that it didn't air.

Posted by: Van | September 18, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

"But then again, if everyone canceled because of Elizabeth Hasselbeck, we might finally be rid of her."

Or maybe if everyone canceled because of her, they could just get rid of The View.

Posted by: michael | September 18, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Why would Dave have even wanted to date Paris? He's been married since 2003 and seems to have had better taste in girlfriend's before that."

Because fame is trumps everything in Hollywood. Some of the men on this blog would even date Paris if they had the chance.

Posted by: Cola | September 18, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

i know i'm late to the weigh-in but here's what's what in my mind...

1) liz, did you see russell crowe? please post pics, especially of you and he shaking hands (or more?) and comparing tatts.

2) byoolin, i'm scared. how can we be sure it's you and not one of the pod people?

3) my sister attended 'fat camp' in the poconos one summer with adam klugman. we saw brett and jack during family day. she was so nice and friendly and wore the enormous glasses. it was one of my first brushes with celebrity and whetted my appetite for reading this here column on a daily basis.

4) barry manilow, be a man! (oh. wait. never mind.)

Posted by: methinks | September 18, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow Barry....talk about predjudice.....

Posted by: Burke | September 18, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

He was drunk and she's easy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Barry Manilow!

And Dave Grohl!!

Why am I not surprised that "nudity" was one of the issues in Brit's home? I am starting to think she really may be mentally ill. There's a severely mentally ill woman in my neighborhood who exposes herself regularly.

Posted by: Californian | September 18, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that the Broolin comment 1112 was posted by the pseudo... our broolin would never get it so totally wrong. Suzanne Somers wasn't in the original Charlie's Angels. Her big break was Three's Company. Brett Somers daughter was named Leslie.

Posted by: Witchy | September 18, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Fannie Flagg on Match Game? Doesn't she write best-selling chick lit? Can't remember.
Used to watch that show faithfully. It was great for avoiding homework.
And Richard Dawson was always drunk I think he must have had a mini bar behind his little desk.

Posted by: POS | September 18, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Hasselbeck or agree with her politics, but that's lame. Sounds like a publicity stunt on Manilow's part -- would anyone be talking about him or even know he has a new album otherwise?

Posted by: MAL | September 18, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Whoa- that ex-bodyguard of Brit's is beyond "ginormous"! Maybe its the funny angle on the "Us" site, but he looks like he is at least 7.5'. Wow!

Barry M. grow some balls, dude. I think my almost 2 yr. old could take out that twit in a debate.

Dave G. rocks like never before for expressing my similar sentiments so eloquently!

Posted by: plamar1031 | September 18, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Witchy, 11:12 was me. (Really, honestly, for true.) I was using the old sitcom device known as "the wacky misunderstanding." (You know, like when Jack accidentally had sex with Mr. Roper, thereby confirming the latter's suspicions.)

Posted by: byoolin (the real one) | September 18, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

This is great....

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 18, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Fannie Flagg wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes."

Love that Dave Grohl. However I must point out that he does have some influence over whether his daughter grows up like Paris. But then I believe that all teenagers should have to work flipping burgers for a while, to learn what it takes to earn a buck.

Posted by: arlington | September 18, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

WDC 21113, thanks for sharing! Truly hilarious ... especially this bit: "Britney insists that she won't take off her clothes for less than seven figures".

Talk about bolting the barn door after the horse has fled!

Posted by: Californian | September 18, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The Fannie Flagg who wrote "Fried Green Tomatoes" and appeared on Match Game are the same Fannie Flagg.

Byoolin, you are hilarious!

Posted by: Jay | September 19, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

errodrons

Posted by: liboclividro | October 26, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

bocerreld

Posted by: nobocze | November 17, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

jersey movie new theatres [URL=http://hotelpraia.com/lab/media/images/page933.html]jersey movie 5.html

Posted by: jersey movie new theatres | August 16, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse