Posted at 7:53 AM ET, 09/12/2007

Morning Mix: Rosie Says Barbara Walters Should Retire

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Rosie O'Donnell thinks Barbara Walters should retire... Britney Spears's spin control team People magazine works overtime to stall tailspin following Sunday's performance... Tommy Lee apologizes for interrupting Alicia Keys's performance... Kanye West's album sales outpacing 50 Cent so far, but is Kanye blowing promo ops?... Kathy Griffin's Jesus remarks cut from Emmy broadcast... Diana Ross, Brian Wilson, Steve Martin among Kennedy Center honorees... Justin Timberlake cancels tour dates to rest his voice... Led Zeppelin to reunite for one show... Heath Ledger fugs it up... Former "Full House-er" Jodie Sweetin pregnant... Judge sets April trial date for Lindsay Lohan 2005 car crash... Rapper Trick Daddy arrested in strip club scuffle.

Rumor Mill: Jon Stewart tapped to host Academy Awards... Owen Wilson hires "sober companion" in lieu of rehab... Jessica Simpson, a little bit country?... Oprah to leave $30 million to dogs?... Mom calls Michael Jackson addiction claims "defamatory"... Diddy's perfume ads deemed too hot for TV... Friends now worried about Amy Winehouse's bulimia.

Say What?
"I kind of play this self-obsessed wannabe rock star. You know, a guy that really takes himself too seriously." -- Self-obsessed wannabe rapper Kevin Federline describes his role on a two-episode arc of "One Tree Hill"

By Liz Kelly  | September 12, 2007; 7:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering Jane Wyman
Next: Who's to Blame for Brit's Belly Flop?

Comments

Gee, was Jodie Sweetin pregnant in Vegas for the wedding?? Hope she stopped smoking since...There's an unflattering picture of her and the new hubby with cigarettes...Guess out of that bunch, Candace Cameron the's only normal/stable one.

Posted by: WDC | September 12, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

"Diddy "hiking up" Gomez's skirt, putting his hands under her dress, and a scene with another woman holding Gomez's breast and pulling down her underwear."

Dear Diddy,

This will not make me buy your fragrance.

Sincerely,
Someone who does not want to see you get it on with anyone.

Posted by: Irish girl | September 12, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I just got around to watching some VMA performances on mtv.com last night. There is nothing more I can add to the discussion about Britney, but I'd like to say the my fellow Virginian, Chris Brown, totally rocked! I think he'll go on to have a great career. That is, if he doesn't get distracted by all the dogfighting here in the "deep south".

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | September 12, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

How can you rock when you lip synch?

Posted by: Irishgirl | September 12, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Irishgirl: How could anybody sing with the amount of crazy hype dancing he was doing? Rule Number 1: If you are going to lip-sych, dance your a$$ off like Chris Brown. He was awesome.

And besides, I've heard him not lip-synching and his voice is as amazing as his dancing. He got the crowd to their feet and put smiles on everyone's face. That's why he rocked, like totally!

C'mon...don't hate on the young man. Give him his props.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh, snap, IG. :-)

I have newfound respect for Kathy Griffin.

Rosie, all of us here in the cheap seats at Celebritology agree ONE HUNDRED PER CENT with your statement, "At some point it becomes necessary to step back. Everyone has to go. Going is part of the gig." [Pause. Quiet murmurs of agreement. Someone coughs.]

Owen Wilson's nickname is "the Butterscotch Stallion"? What the hell?

Someone needs to change her name to Amy Whinehouse.

Posted by: byoolin | September 12, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I love Kanye West's arrogance. It's hilarous, which I suspect he knows, and I hope he continues to beat 50 and make 50 look stupid for that "I'll retire" comment.

Kathy Griffin also makes me laugh out loud. I think it is sooooooo funny that the Catholic church is all mad at a comedian, no less, for saying "Suck it, Jesus." One - it's funny. Two - it's not like she's a politician or something, she's a comedian. Three - why force someone to apologize when it is obviously either just a joke or the way she actually feels, and in either case, apologizing won't matter. And four - if you are really a Christain, you can take comfort in the fact that she just might go to hell for that comment. haha

I think it's totally ridiculous to get up in arms about her little comment and the people at the Emmys are a bunch of wimps for editing it out. Suck it, Emmys.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 12, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Someone did tell Rosie she no longer works at the View so her comments are no longer relevant right?

Also, wow, pretty harsh words for someone you once conidered your "mentor." How quickly you turn when someone doesn't do what YOU want them to do.

Posted by: ep | September 12, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Before people start hatin' on Oprah, please consider that she's given several times that amount to charities, built a school in Africa and she set up the Angel Network. So if the girl wants to set up a 30 mil trust for her dogs, STFW?

Posted by: st. louis | September 12, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Navin Johnson is right about the big O.

A $30M trust is about 2% of her net worth ($1.4B in 2006, sez Forbes).

There will still be plenty (i.e., $1,370,000,000.00) left to go around to the Melvin Dummars of the world.

Posted by: byoolin | September 12, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Owen Wilson has been called "The Butterscotch Stallion" for a couple of years - see Defamer:

Also - if I was getting paid nearly $275K annually to keep someone sober, you better believe I'd be on that person like glue. Maybe he's on to something....

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | September 12, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

C'mon...don't hate on the young man. Give him his props.

I'm not hating on him. I don't like to see anyone lip synch.

Posted by: Irish girl | September 12, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I don't like lip synching either, hate it, but I think Chris Brown gets a pass this time. He's a teenager and in great shape, but I doubt even he could manage sustaining notes (and on be key) while dancing at the level he was.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm with IG on this one. Lip synching is lazy. If your music can't stand on its own without a multi-million dollar Las Vegas stage show, then you are not a true musician.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

uh...I don't think he had a multi-million dollar Vegas show. He pretty much just danced with a lot of engery, was charming and exciting. He was pretty decent.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I did a little experiment. I closed my eyes and "watched" it again. I don't consider myself a fan of the genre, but still was tapping my toes and enjoying the music. Assuming he was lip synching to himself and not pulling a Milli-Vanilli, the kid's still got talent. The music stood on its own.

Also, there was one moment where it was painfully obvious he was lip synching, because he broke into a broad smile when the crowd was going wild. I found it incredibly endearing to see him seemingly surprised that people were loving him so much. Team Chris!

Posted by: RiverCityVA | September 12, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

He's so endearing with that cute little smile. I'm just proud of him. Yay, Team Chris!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I just got around to watching the VMA rebroadcast on MTV last night. What more I can add to the discussion about Britney is:

What a bunch of overblown piling on from everyone. She mailed in the performance. So what? It was far from the trainwreck everyone's been describing. I can only hope my wife still looks like that after two kids - I'd take Brit's body over, say, Kelly Ripa's gross skeletal figure any day of the week.

Posted by: OD | September 12, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"I'd take Brit's body over, say, Kelly Ripa's gross skeletal figure any day of the week."

This.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

-Chris Brown's performance was the only reason to watch any repeats of VMAs ; plus in a few more years he will smokin' hot

-Please allow me to have my moment: OMG, Justin lost his voice....Nooooo!

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 12, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard Kathy Griffin say.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

FWIW, I'm about 99% positive that N'Sync never lipsynched their performances. It was a point of pride that they could hit their notes and still do the dance sequences.

Posted by: 23112 | September 12, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Rosie thinks Barbara should retire and I think she should shut it and sink quietly into where are they now land. Unfortunately we don't all get what we want, dang it.

Now I'm torn. On one hand I want Kanye to wup Fiddy causing him to retire. On the other, I know that Kanye winning would cause him to look at that as validation of a whole lot of talent he does not have. Either way, I lose, dang it.

I'm not a fan of the lipsynching either but I've got to give Chris Brown props the performance was good.

Wait a tick. They take off Veronica Mars but One Tree Hill gets to stay? Seriously! Seriously!

Posted by: petal | September 12, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I thought the blurb up there said, "Tommy Lee JONES apologizes for interrupting Alicia Keys's performance..." I was thoroughly confused :)

Posted by: z | September 12, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

You guys have to watch this, unless you are fed up with the Brit stuff. Actually, even if you are, watch it!

Posted by: Anonimis | September 12, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Can't Rosie and Baba just nude-wrestle it out? Settle the score once and for all? Enter the octagon, ditch the ample tankinis, and go mano-a-mano? A little wesson-n-wax and complicated clutch holds on the mats? Two shrew scurry in, one shrew gimp out? Let's get ready to grumble?

Posted by: Thor | September 12, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

*gag*

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Umm, hate to break it to you, WDC, but Candace Cameron is possibly the *least* normal of the bunch.

Posted by: sar | September 12, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I think it is sad and sexist that you think it is okay for Chirs whoever he is to lip synch, but are giving Brittany a hard time.

Posted by: Give me a break | September 12, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Anon: can't get utube at work... what is it?

I'm with the lip synch haters....it's rude to the fans who keep you in the business.

Poor Rosie. Still thinks it's all about her.

Posted by: b | September 12, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

That crazy Candence Cameron like God. She must be nuts.

Posted by: R U joking | September 12, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Thor, the flat surface of your war-hammer Mjolnir has somehow been made razor-sharp with sarcasm and satire. Jörmungandr will be wise to fear you at Ragnarök.

Posted by: byoolin | September 12, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Posted by: Vinz Clortho, Minion of Gozer | September 12, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

" think it is sad and sexist that you think it is okay for Chirs whoever he is to lip synch, but are giving Brittany a hard time.

lol

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

b, the video is of Chris Crooker, I think his name is, this very effeminate Britney super-fan, who is defending her honor. It's hilarious, but I see someone posted it yesterday, so I'm probably the last to see it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"So he can smile and is cute, big deal. If he was fat would it still be okay for him?"

lol"

Talent, for one.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 12, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Yay, Vinz Clortho! You just made my day!

Posted by: Alison in TN | September 12, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

lol

Talent, for one."

Professionalism.

Posted by: anony | September 12, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"I find it odd to think that Candace Cameron is considered the "odd" one of the group. SO she's a Christian. That's odd? Much better than a lot of other things her former castmate has been up to; and WAY better than most other things young celebs today are doing."

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"I found it odd when I linked to her website to see that the reason the poster thinks she is not normal is because she is Christian. I'm not Christian, but I think that is a pretty dumb thing to say. Looks like she has herself together, compared to a lot of her peers."

That's what I was saying.

Is being a Christian really the worst you can say about someone? That's odd.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Why, why, why would the Academy hire Jon Stewart again? He sucked last year!

Of course this will make the O's happy.

Posted by: Nausea | September 12, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The should get Colbert to do it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The Butterscotch Stallion, huh. How silly of all those rich folks in KY to insist on naming stallions silly things like Unbridled and Easy Goer, and never something strong and noble like Butterscotch.

Posted by: Cubeland, MD | September 12, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

lol

Talent, for one."

"Professionalism."

Coherent

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

My point was that she grew up in the spotlight (and had a pudgey/bad hair/bad clothes time) and she still turned out "normal" in terms of Hollywood-types, like her brother.

Now, some may think that their religion is extreme, but it beats eating disorders, meth addictions, and the like.

They're happily living life and aren't splashed on every tabloid every day. And until today, I didn't even know she had her own website.

Posted by: WDC again | September 12, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"-Um, uh, anybody want to point out to this poster the obvious difference between Chris Brown and Britney, aside from their gender?

lol"

Talent, for one."

"Professionalism."

"Coherent"

Did somebody say talent?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Did somebody say talent?

Yes, he is a great dancer.

Posted by: duh | September 12, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Hello! Good Site! Thanks you! eenwdquihzej

Posted by: vbuyjycmqq | October 1, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Fellow car manufacturer Peugeot SA added 1.09 or 1.94 pct to 57.39. Today's figures on October European car registrations also provided support, with Renault showing a 2.5 pct rise year on year, compared to a 10.5 pct decline in September, and Peugeot registering a 3.8 pct increase. Alstom also reversed course, after suffering heavy profit taking in recent days as investors sought to lock in gains amid the market uncertainty. At midday, Alstom was up 6.41 or 4.49 pct at 149.09. At market close yesterday, the share was down more than 13 pct over the week. ArcelorMittal gained 2.14 or 4.36 pct to 51.17, after exceeding consensus estimates with its third quarter figures today. Shares in the steel manufacturer had fallen in the run up to the results announcement, amid talk that the group might disappoint with its third quarter figures. Outside the CAC 40, renewable energy generator Theolia (OOTC:THIXF) rose sharply, adding 1.52 or 7.97 pct to 20.58...http://super-blog-here.com/

Posted by: wecqszxije | November 14, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

The PU_PA makes use of a bioplastic Teijin developed with Mazda, branded Biofront, which is heat resistant and smells like life itself, give or take. [Green Car...http://all-info-here.com/

Posted by: jkotyeuvep | November 14, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

It's called the Lexus IS F. In order to understand the IS F and its genesis, the first thing that you have to understand is that Yaguchi is an enthusiast, a performance hard case who loves to drive fine, responsive equipment. For the 30 years he's been at Toyota, he's wanted to build a car he wanted to drive, a car he'd love to own. During his tenure at Lexus, Yaguchi has worked on the first and second iterations of the Lexus LS luxury sedan, the turbocharged Toyota Supra and the first Lexus GS sport sedan. But none of those...http://i-love-news.com/

Posted by: omwrassecu | November 21, 2007 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Africa, he said, had embraced Internet access and, in places like a lake in Uganda you would have a fisherman using his cell to ascertain where he would get the best return on his catch when deciding which market to sell his catch to. "Will come rapidly" In SA, until the monopoly is broken and enough people have access to broadband, initiatives were not as many as on the rest of the continent. "But when it comes here, it will come rapidly," said Parker. Matthew Buckland, GM of the Mail & Gaurdian Online, agreed. "We will definitely see the rise and rise of mobile Internet. We are already seeing rapid...http://new-blog-for-you.com/

Posted by: xupgpncxig | November 22, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I have never been much in favour of online shopping. The idea that the ancient physical delight of strolling the marketplace or bazaar and taking in its sights and smells might one day be replaced by clicking and dragging from a desktop is one I have always found more repugnant than convenient. But that was before I found out aboutWhat is Etsy? If you ask its founder, 27 year old Brooklyn based Rob Kalin, Etsy is "a childhood word from a Fellini movie" that he chose because "it embodies the curiosity of imagination" (the naughty Kalin has also playfully told the press that Etsy comes...http://bestnews-4u.com/

Posted by: qkypevdxly | November 25, 2007 4:59 AM | Report abuse

The Senate Finance Committee began searching for a compromise on how to deal with the estate tax's uncertain future. The tax, which is applied to inherited assets, is scheduled to disappear in 2010 only to come back in 2011 at the higher exemptions and rates that were in effect prior to 2001, when Congress cut the estate tax. Groups representing family owned businesses have urged Congress to make estate tax repeal permanent, but even their supporters concede that's not going to happen. "We can't get that done," said Sen. Jim Bunning, R Ky. "I support repeal, but we need certainty in this area," said Sen. Max Baucus, D Mont., who chairs the Senate Finance Committee. At a Nov. 14 hearing, the committee heard from billionaire investor Warren Buffett, Nevada rancher Dean Rhoads and Iowa manufacturer Eugene Sukup. Buffett, chairman and CEO of Omaha, Neb. based Berkshire Hathaway, recommended keeping the...http://blog-about-finance.com/

Posted by: gekmxktvkp | November 26, 2007 4:44 AM | Report abuse