Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 09/28/2007

Morning Mix: Wedding Bells for Jacko?

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: O.J. Simpson's "If I Did It" outsells former President Clinton's "Giving"... Oprah is highest paid TV personality... Bono gets medal for humanitarian work... Madonna, Beastie Boys nominated for Rock Hall of Fame inclusion... Former N' Sync-er Joey Fatone offers his support to Britney Spears... Spears wins "Most Embarrassing TV Dance of All-Time" accolade... Gisele Bundchen puts her Manhattan perch on the market for $10.9M... Dylan McDermott and wife Shiva Rose separate... Heather Locklear says she's dating Jack Wagner... Indian actress Shilpa Shetty still feeling effects of kiss from Richard Gere... Carrot Top rocks the 'roid look... Vivica A. Fox pleads not guilty to drunk driving charges... Script stolen from Francis Ford Coppola's Argentina home... "Battlestar Galactica's" Mary McDonnell files court order against alleged stalker.

Rumor Mill: Kiefer Sutherland removed from police fundraiser... Michael Jackson still single, for now... Elizabeth Taylor planning ninth marriage?... Diddy etiquette, lesson No. 1... Did Jenny McCarthy cure her son's autism?

Bonus: Print out my pal Amy's handy game plan for watching Sunday's "Rock of Love" season finale.

By Liz Kelly  | September 28, 2007; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Spect(o)ral Analysis
Next: Friday List: Go Ahead, Remake My Day

Comments

What is different about the bathroom etiquette of celebrities? Do they perch? Is there shame?

Posted by: update this | September 28, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Liz: every time I just about fall asleep, I think I smell smoke. It totally panics me out, so then I can't get to sleep. It even happens at my desk, when I'm "resting my eyes", which is for obvious reasons happeneing more and more. Do you think this is psychological or neurological?

Posted by: medical question | September 28, 2007 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Please explain to me why Madonna is a nominee for the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame? Dance Music Hall of Fame, The Gay Hall of Fame, I understand but Rock& Roll I just don't get it.

Posted by: Lisa1 | September 28, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I'm still breastfeeding my grown adult daughter, is that wrong? If I'm lactating, does it really matter if I put it to use?

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

I used to like Jenny McCarthy. now she is dead to me. using a self-diagnosed autism in her child as a publicity stunt. that's shameless. also anyone who perpetuates the vaccine 'theory' of autism needs a sloppy carl. not a theory. not a correlation. just a wild idea that gained traction through sympathy/wishful thinking for this tragic condition.

Posted by: osull1va | September 28, 2007 8:53 AM | Report abuse

After he has a child with Tori Spelling, Dylan McDermott decides to divorce his wife. The man is a pig.

Posted by: dana | September 28, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"Surprising genetalia" has gotta be the answer to the Jeopardy category "Phrases I'm Surprised I Haven't Heard Yet In Celebritology.".

If that actually happened on Rock Of Love it would DEFINITELY be worth the weeks I've spent watching it.

If you actually played that game as it's written, you'd probably be drunk in about 15 minutes.

Posted by: Bored @ work | September 28, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Dylan and his wife are separating that is sooooo sad.........So....um.....is that a trial separation or will he need like a month or two before he's ready to date. I know, I feel bad, shouldn't have even thought that much less typed it........but seriously is this like a trial thing?

I've learned something new today. One should never look at a photo of Carrot Top while having breakfast. It's put me right off my tea.

Honestly, what is the criteria for Rock and Rock Hall of Fame nominees? I'm thinking if Marge gets in several cast offs from American Idol should be included as well. Heck, lets put Brit and LiLo up next.

Posted by: petal | September 28, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

*bono rocks.

*i don't know the back story on jenny mccarthy's son. are you saying she self diagnosed the autism, osull1va? i def. don't agree w/the vaccine theory when it comes to a 'cure'.

*liz taylor was very wise to add the caveat "one of the most" wonderful men she's ever known when describing current love of her life, Jason Winters.

*heather locklear dating jack wagner...now THERE'S hollywood's worst kept secret. seem happy together tho' so, cheers!

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

If I'm lactating, I have medical problems than loom larger than any social issues that may arise from my alleged breastfeeding.

Nice work on today's Weingarten update, Liz. Two bottles of Merlot on a Thursday night will do that to you.

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DJ | September 28, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

When Bono said, "Your America is where Neil Armstrong takes a walk on the moon," did he mean that he subscribes to that whole 'Capricorn One' theory, or is it just that his map-reading skills are, as the kids say, 'wack'?

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Ok, this one takes the cake. You can have a problem with the names Apple, Hazel, Suri, Jayden, Preston, and Frank Zappa had some unusual ones to be sure.

but Blanket? Jacko's youngest is really named Blanket? I sincerely hope that child is homeschooled.

Blanket.

Here's more: http://www.amiright.com/names/siblings/index.shtml

Liz - you need to do a contest where we come up with the worst/funniest names for Brit's 3rd kid

Posted by: Cod | September 28, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

If I'm bloviating, I have social problems that loom so large that only by expounding and pontificating on Celebritology can I cure myself.

Nice work on today's Weingarten update, Liz. Let me firmly plant my lips against your posterior. Please don't toot.

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I, for one, am super pumped to know that Gisele is putting her house on the market. I just got a one dollar raise at work, so this seems like fate or something.

Posted by: Mina | September 28, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Friday List: celebrities who need Sloppy Carls

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

So whose hosting the Rock of Love drinking party? I'll be looking for my invite in the mail.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I CANNOT wait to play that drinking game for Rock of Love! Thanks for the link Liz!

Posted by: Jes v. Heather | September 28, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

AGGGHHHHHH! "JACKO"!! That nickname just is VIRAL. I don't know if there's any celeb out there who makes me feel so skeeved... and the name JACKO just adds to the skeeviness. Whenever I see it or hear it, I feel like there's been a mental illness pathogen transmitted to my brain and I need to go get AIR.

To quote Radar O'Reilly, "Ohhhhh, noooo! Ewwwww, ick... oh, ick, ewwwwwww!"

Posted by: Margo | September 28, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Random thought -- what ever happened to the actors who played the "twins" from Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family??

There's a Friday list -- what happened to the obscure actors of yester-year (that aren't talked about on "Where are they Now?"?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | September 28, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

If anyone cares, it's DEAN McDermott that Tori Spelling is now married to...

Posted by: Amy F. | September 28, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"O.J. Simpson's "If I Did It" outsells former President Clinton's "Giving"."

Well, duh...everyone already knows Clinton did it. But is he really a giver?

Posted by: 23112 | September 28, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Madonna in the Rock HoF? I suppose it's no stranger than Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, but it's still odd. She does actually kinda rock though, far more than most of her imitators at least.

Up until this moment I kinda had a little respect for Miss McCartny. No more. Autism isn't "cureable" so far as is known and she would bloody well know that if her kid really had it.

Posted by: EricS | September 28, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Jacko's kid can't really be named Blanket, can he? Or is it "It". Or is his real name "His Royal Highness King Michael TurkeyBaster III?"

Posted by: POS | September 28, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

People who should be in the rock and roll hall of fame before Madonna, but aren't:

Jan and Dean
Dick Dale

Feel free to add to the list.

Posted by: Max | September 28, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I am about to admit this.

I was watching "The View" the other day - I was home, sick - and Jenny M was on, and at one point she stopped and very explicitly said that autism is not curable. She made a point of saying that.

It's possible that other references to her 'curing' autism are misinterpretations or misquotes.

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Margo - Carrot Top is right up there with Jacko. Why oh why am I compelled to click on links when I know a photo of C.T. is waiting there to singe my retinas?

Posted by: m.a.t. | September 28, 2007 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"If anyone cares, it's DEAN McDermott that Tori Spelling is now married to..."

I think they were just making a funny. Everyone knows Dylan is the one from The Practice and Dean is the one without a job.

Posted by: Anonimis | September 28, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

not to lost focus though dean mcdermott did cheat on his wife with that horseface homewrecker and had a child with her. he also divorced his wife for horseface

Posted by: des | September 28, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson's kids have actual non-bedclothes-related names, but once he wrapped one of them in a blanket and dangled it over a balcony. Thus the nickname.

Posted by: h3 | September 28, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

*sing along*
byoolin watches the vie-ew! byooline watches teh vie-ew!

i'm not sure i saw 'genesis' or 'peter gabriel' on that rock n' roll HoF list (wish it was alphabetical). i would add either singly or both.

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Jenny M say the day the DOCTORS told her her son had autism was the worse day of her life.

Posted by: MGC | September 28, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Liz... very clever, increasing your viewership by sabotaging Gene's updates. I sense an Amir vs what's-his-name power struggle starting here!

Posted by: m.a.t. | September 28, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Jenny saying that autism can be cured is like Whoopie saying that dog fighting is a southern thing. Misinterpreted by the media.

Posted by: DLC1973 | September 28, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I did not see Jenny on Larry King but I did see her on GMA. She never said her son was cured, she did say he was improved. She also specifically said she did not believe vaccines were the cause of autism. At no time did they get into specifics of where in the autism spectrum her son falls.

I'm not exactly sure what people feel she's guilty of here. She has not, that I've heard, promoted any wild or irresponsible theories or therapies in dealing w/autism and she has been an advocate for her child as every parent should.

Posted by: JES | September 28, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"i would add either singly or both."

oy. okay, that sentence made no sense and i hate when that happens.
i would add gabriel and genesis singly. or honor gabriel as part of genesis.

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

TO: DJ

Dylan McDermott played as a lawyer on "The Practice".

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

did anyone else see carrot top on the flavor flav roast on commedy central a few weeks back? on of the other comedians (joe somebody) was totally busting his chops about the obvious plastic surgery/steroid use and ct looked like he was going to pull a hulk.
"me carrot top, i squish you."

Posted by: Melissa | September 28, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

All this talk of Jacko gives me a Friday List idea:

Celebs who make you throw up in your mouth a little every time you see them.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | September 28, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Jenny did say that Jim Carrey had a way of getting through to her son that no one else ever could do. I thought that was kind of sweet.

Posted by: 23112 | September 28, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Concerning the Jenny McCarthy and autism link, People has a huge story on it now (cover story). It was a very interesting read. The autism was NOT self-diagnosed, as someone stated earlier. In the People article, she says she was in total shock & disbelief when the doctor diagnosed him. I have a lot of respect for her as a mother for trying to help her son as best she could.

Posted by: glebe rd | September 28, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"Wait, I thought Dylan Mcdermott was married to Tori Spelling and just divorced from Catherine Keener?"

Nope, not Dylan. I think Tori's guy is Dean.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

gleve rd re: Jenny McCarthy

Totally agree.

Margo, ha ha ha, love the MASH quote. Very appropriate.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

typo, meant glebe rd

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ok, now I don't know what to think on the whole JM thing. Due to the stupid censoring technology here, damn you Websence, I can't see the original article. I was going off of Liz's headline. Hopefully byoolin is right and she hasn't gone cuko.

Posted by: EricS | September 28, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

To ASinMoCo re Jacko and "Celebs who make you throw up in your mouth a little every time you see them."

See, if it was just that with "Jacko," I'd be fine... I'd just run to the drinking fountain and rinse, or duck into the head and brush my teeth, maybe gargle, and be done with it.

But something about Michael Jackson makes me feel a little NUTS... I mean seriously... like the name and especially PICTURES or video (or the name "Jacko"!!) feels like it bores into a vulnerable part of my brain. I find I really need to stop reading and step away, take a breath, look out a window.

It's beyond skeevy... really, I guess what it is is the mental equivalent of "throw up in your mouth."

Posted by: Margo | September 28, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll gladly second the nomination for Peter Gabriel; not so much for Genesis. Sorry, methinks.

Posted by: niceFLguy | September 28, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"bores into a vulnerable part of my brain. I find I really need to stop reading and step away, take a breath, look out a window."

i think if you are having this kind of reaction, it probably because you're a tinsy bit nuts.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Well, if it's any consolation, typing this is therapeutic, lol

I guess the nearest equivalent was the way I used to feel when I'd see a picture of Charles Manson: SCARED. That's how I feel when I see MJ: scared, like there's something really badly wrong there.

I'd say it probably has less to do with being a teensy bit nuts myself than it does with being the mom of a 7-year-old girl.

Posted by: Margo | September 28, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm not wearing any pants.

Posted by: byoolin | September 28, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Well, okay then, now that makes more sense. Whenever I see Marilyn Mason, I pee my pants.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Have you heard about Diddy's new mouthwash? With each sentence that passes your lips, the scent of your breath will tell the world, "Yes, I most certainly have shi+ for brains."

Posted by: MisterBear | September 28, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

lol...I don't think that's byoolin...but if it is...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

to the person impersonating byoolin... Go put some PANTS on!

Posted by: bm | September 28, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

hey, niceFLguy, we're on the same track.
my goal is getting peter gabriel in the RnR HoF, if it takes riding in on genesis' coattails, so be it.

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I second on the HoF nominees.... Arthur Lee (Arthur Lee and Love) should be on there, too.

Posted by: b | September 28, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I read the JM people article, and I thought she came off really well. Her son has autism, but not an extremely severe case, and she talks about how they have been able to mitigate some of the symptoms over time. He is able to go to a normal school, but he will always have the disability and they will always have to deal with it. I thought she came off as very real and down to earth. It sounds like she's been through a lot, and was trying to put herself out there so other mothers of autisitic children could relate and hear a "success" story. She even talks about how expensive all the treatment is and basically says the only reason she still does pin-ups and has written her books is to make money for her kid's treatment.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm not wearing any pants...well that's one way of getting around the whole pleated vs. plain front debate, fake byoolin.

Liz, what's your view on pleated skirts?

Posted by: jake e. poo | September 28, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh my gosh on the train this morning I counted a total of 5 pleated pant wearers and 6 flat fronts. Most of the others were jeans.

ASinMoCo,
Today my top pick is Carrot Top

Posted by: petal | September 28, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I could care less if Madonna dances her way into the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

I DO care if John Mellencamp gets in. He should get in for "Rain on the Scarecrow" alone.

Posted by: Irish girl | September 28, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I also thought that Jenny did say she thought the MMR shot gave her son Autism. Go to OPrah's site to learn more.

Posted by: Irish girl | September 28, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

check this out, those who think she is vapid:

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

ROFL over the flat-front/pleated pants "surveys" ... esp. this morning's count by petal! :-)

I seem to remember a thread on his blog awhile ago about the interchangeable (and possibly indistinguishable) Dylans, Dermotts, McDermotts, etc. What's the difference between Dylan McDermott, Dermot Mulroney, Dean McDermott ... do I have them right ... my brain hurts now. 'Course that might just be because I saw that picture of Carrot Top ...

Posted by: Californian | September 28, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I work as an editor for a publishing company that specializes in autism books, and I have to say that anyone who knows anything about autism knows there's no cure. There is no sceintific evidence that Jenny McCarthy's changing of her son's diet will cure autism or even lessen symptoms. I saw a Dateline special on her last week and it just totally annoyed me. I hate to think that this book is out there promoting a cure for autism and people are buying it thinking it is the definitive solution. The reason her son is doing so well is probably due to many factors, but I would guess specifically that just might have something to with all the specialists and speech therapists and behavioral psychologists she is paying with a celebrity's salary to help treat her son, instead of her insistence on dairy and wheat being factors in autism.

Posted by: Marie | September 28, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

JM should read Tim Page's article in a recent New Yorker about his Asperger's. (he is one of the Post's music critics). There is no cure for autism or Asperger's. They are the way you are, part of you.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Dean or Dylan doesn't matter. Both cheated on the wives and are filthy pigs. The other McDermott (I forgot his name) is probably a pig too.

PS: This my first time posting on this blog and you guys are funny.

Posted by: Dana | September 28, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What difference does it make to point out to Jenny McCarthy that there is no cure, or that diet doesn't make a difference? For her family, it DID make a difference. Does it hurt people to TRY something to mitigate the effects until a cure IS developed? Why judge?

Posted by: Alison in TN | September 28, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

No cure can be developed--this is a brain formation issue. And by your reasoning, it is ok to tell people to inject silver into their joints for arthritis because it might work? Or take untested herbal supplements because they might cure cancer? It is on the mild side cruel to give people hoope with her story, and on the awful side, could be extremely dangerous. A doctor just went to jail in Virgnia for using chelation therapy, illegally, on autistic children because a group of parents have started the rumor that it "works".

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I forgot the most important part--a child died from the chelation therapy. Thus the jail.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I have to say that as a mother I am worried about autism. There have been many children who have died from the vaccinations too or who have had bad side affects. I don't know what the answer is, but if it worked for her and her boy, that's great.

My daughter is vaccinated, but I am worried about her upcoming MMR shot.

Posted by: Irishgirl | September 28, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

fewer children experience side effects from vaccinations than those who do. you would feel terrible if your child got any of the diseases that mmr covers and those diseases are out there with terrible side effects. immunize.

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

you didn't ask my opinion, irishgirl, but i gave it anyway. sorry if i offended. i've got mommy & grandmommy experience. i understand your worries. you'll make the right decision for your family.

Posted by: methinks | September 28, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Californian,

Just doing my part for Celebritology.

Posted by: petal | September 28, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Not to kick up any dust but I suspect certain comments attributed to byoolin is actually fake-a$$ byoolin. The comments are way off from what byoolin normally sez.

Posted by: Oaktown357 | September 28, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't get the appeal of highjacking someone's handle. Can you imagine the poor highjacker sitting there giggling & shaking while trying to come up with something remotely amusing.

Posted by: JES | September 28, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think ppl should read the Jenny McCarthy article. She didn't have much money to help paing specialists and that's in part what turned her to some alternative therapies. The alternative things included things like, diet. I mean, she didn't hang him upside down for hours a day or use electroshock therapy. Cut the lady a break. She was just desperately trying everything she could to help her kid. Yeah, what a b---h.

Posted by: Sigh | September 28, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Nicole | November 10, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse