Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 10/15/2007

Comment Box: Reese and Jake -- Over Already?

By Liz Kelly

This Jake and Reese thing. What's up with that? Staying far away from each other on the red carpet? And Reese's divorce is final today? Shades of Brad and Angie?

And do you think she's too old for him? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

You're talking, of course, about last week's premiere of "Rendition," the prescient new thriller in which Donnie Darko and Elle Woods strike brooding and defiant poses to illustrate the questionable American practice of disappearing suspected foreign terrorists to secret facilities for torture-assisted confessionals.

Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal keep their distance at last week's 'Rendition' premiere. (AP)

As noted by those who track this sort of thing -- and one USA Today correspondent who apparently watched closely enough to note that "the two did not share eye contact on the red carpet" -- the on-again/off-again/on-again/who knows pair played it cool at last Thursday's premiere. Both arrived separately and selfishly denied the waiting press crush even one joint photo op. The two were captured in the same frame at the afterparty later that night, but the pix (as seen at right) can hardly be mistaken for cuddly.

Are Reese and Jake still a pair or will Jake return to spending his free time with guy pals like Lance Armstrong? I dunno. One fact to consider is that Witherspoon's divorce from baby daddy Ryan Phillippe was finalized the day of the premiere. Might she have been laying off on any new romance pix out of respect for that relationship's final flame out?

And is Reese too old for Jake? She's 31. He's 26. Checks out for me.

---
Movie Badass Redux

On Friday we took a sledgehammer to Maxim's laughable list of movie badasses, which included head-scratchers like the two Coreys (huh?) and left out any women and most of the names listed below in our new and improved definitive best of all time list of movie badasses:

1. Clint Eastwood in "[pick a western]"
2. Sigourney Weaver in "Aliens"
3. Bruce Willis in "Die Hard"
4. Uma Thurman in "Kill Bill" series
5. Richard Roundtree in "Shaft"
6. Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Terminator"
7. Samuel L. Jackson in "Pulp Fiction"
8. Mel Gibson as "Mad Max"
9. Linda Hamilton in "Terminator"
10. Kurt Russell in "Escape from New York"

(Results based on a quick scan of your Friday nominees and a small committee of badass judges of movie badasses.)

---
Creative Captioning

Speaking of badasses... Despite the glut of entries identifying Bruce Willis as Wallace Shawn (inconceivable!), this week's winning caption was written for our second photo, featuring Whoopi Goldberg and two Muppets, by yumdonuts, who is hereby entitled to append "Official Celebritology Captionologist" to his (or her) e-mail sig file for the next week. YD's winning entry:

Sesame Street was brought to you today by the letters OMG.

Runner up goes to CJB for the obvious, yet still funny:

Bruce Willis jokes that no matter what else happens in his life, he now knows true happiness and can "die hard."

Click here to see all top entries.

By Liz Kelly  | October 15, 2007; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Diddy Reportedly Socks Romantic Rival
Next: Morning Mix: Spears Surrenders on Hit-and-Run Charges

Comments

I saw "Rendition" over the weekend. Massively disappointing. The movie tells us that renditions occur because the world is run by by stupid evil people. No examination of moral ambiguity. No attempt at context. It makes Michael Moore look subtle.

Posted by: Lacie | October 15, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

What is up with someone thinking Reese is to "old" for Jake? It's five years not five decades, which is the case for many of the old men who hook up with the young actresses in Hollywood. Maybe she is just trying to focus on her kids right now. Divorce is not easy on children

Posted by: Irish girl | October 15, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Lacie - but it hasn't even opened yet.

Posted by: Cyberex | October 15, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Add to Clint Eastwood "and any Dirty Harry movie."

Posted by: BDWESQTM | October 15, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

holy crap, i was a runner up. i feel tears of joy welling up in my eyeballs. now i don't feel like such a captionist lame-o!

Posted by: not bluto | October 15, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"i feel tears of joy welling up in my eyeballs."

You mean Joy Behar? I can relate, not Bluto... that whack job has the same effect on me.

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | October 15, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that although Reese's divorce is final, some financial and child custody issues are still being negotiated. If this is true, it would definitely be in Reese's interests not to annoy her ex by publicly cozying up to her new guy just yet.

Posted by: Jane | October 15, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Liz:

I've got an issue with one part of the story: I think you're seriously misusing "baby daddy" to describe Reese's ex-husband. I think we can all agree that the phrase has a certain (negative) connotation, and to minimize or otherwise disparage the role that he had as husband (now ex-) and father by equating it to this ghetto culture phrase, while appearing harmless, is actually kinda' whack (as the kids would say). Ex-husbands (even famous ones) have enough crap to deal with without being demoted to the equivalent of a quasi-absentee daddy who had no serious committed relationship to the mother, even if it is just for giggles in your blog.

Think of it as kind of the same as calling the person who introduced Reese to Jake (or even Jake himself) as being a "pimp".

Posted by: Quibbilus Maximus | October 15, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Cyberex - there have been previews already, and I missed the one I had an invite to myself. I doubt shes making it up.

Posted by: Diana | October 15, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Quibbilus Maximus:

Reese got more famous than RP with real roles and real $. She wore the proverbial pants.

He a baby daddy.

Posted by: not bluto | October 15, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh and Jake and I are the same age yet he has already accumulated more wealth this year than I will in my lifetime.

That's not depressing.

Posted by: not bluto | October 15, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

You mean, that oh my gosh, a Hollywood actress might not want to jump immediately into another relationship while the ink is drying on the divorce papers. How terrible of her.

And I am with QM on the baby daddy thing. They were married, then had the kid. They had a relationship that was not based on just happening to share a child. That is beyond the "baby daddy" thing.

Posted by: ep | October 15, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Lightbulb! Friday list idea...What other (less ghetto) titles can Liz bestow upon Ryan Phillipe?

Sperminator
Baby Maker
Sex Machine
Babe Expert
ATM
The Beggeter
Big Papa
Padre
Embryonic Mastermind
Vagina Invader
Pappy

Anyone???

Posted by: Anonimis | October 15, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Quibbilus Maximus and was about to rant and rave about the misuse of baby daddy here myself. I don't regard his success compared to hers as having any bearing of his parental status. In my mind, a baby daddy is a man who is merely there long enough to donate the sperm, and that's it. I think RF falls into another category completely.

Also, who cares that she is 5 years older? It's not an issue when the roles are reversed (and when men date women who could be their child or grandchild!). We say we're so advanced, but by these two points, I'd say we're far from it.

Posted by: JRS | October 15, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I am inclinded to think that Reese isn't with Jake (or Jakeypoo has he is affectionaly known in certain circles) at all and this is just some warped PR stunt to beef up press for the movie. Sigh, remember the days when all you needed was a few previews to get your butt into the theater seat?

Posted by: Melissa | October 15, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think she was pregnant before they got married, not that it matters, I am just saying. I don't care for the word "baby daddy" either.

I also think she can pretty much do whatever she wants within reason because the reported reason for the break up was his affair with Abby Cornish. However, I appluad her for being a mother first and a girlfriend second. If more people did that in both sexes the world would be a better place.

Posted by: Irish girl | October 15, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

i was hoping to maintain my runner up status for a third week in a row.

*sigh*

Posted by: b | October 15, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I agree on the baby daddy label. I don't feel that it applies here. Now if you were talking about Puffy that's a baby daddy.

Anonimis,
My vote is for "The Beggeter" love it. I wonder what it would take to cause that to be the chosen slang rather than baby daddy. Hmmmmmmmm.

Posted by: petal | October 15, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

And hello! Get real. Five years is a lot if the guy is younger. Not saying it's fair, just the way it is. What happens when the chick is over 40 and he is still in his thirties?
Anyway, all this will soon be eclipsed by the announcement of Prince William's engagement...that's what's going on in Scotland. What do you think, Liz?

Posted by: POS | October 15, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"I'm OK with Baby Daddy. Word on the street is Reese found out about Ryan's extramarital exploits off his Blackberry. That's pretty cheesy. Also don't see why some people think the term should only apply to black men."

Exactly. That's why I object to all the protesting about baby daddy being reserved for "ghetto" types, and not Ryan Phillipe types.

I'm sure these same folks wouldn't protest to Liz calling Bobby Brown Whitney's baby daddy, and they were husband and wife for over 12 years...so...get over your righteous self and your double standards.

Posted by: Mina | October 15, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way, Anonimis, I vote for "Vagina Invader."

Posted by: Mina | October 15, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Ok! I think I get it! In situations where the woman was once married to the man who fathered her child(ren(, but is no longer married, he is automatically now her baby daddy? Not her ex-husband!

Yay for empowering women with the ability to deceive, if only themselves!

Posted by: JRS | October 15, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I always use the term baby daddy or baby mama in referring to the parentship of a never married couple or non-couple, for example, my cousin has several baby mamas, so it wouldn't really apply to Ryan Phillipe.

Also how dare Jake G. steal my nom de plume.

Posted by: jake e. poo | October 15, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"Whitney's baby daddy, and they were husband and wife for over 12 years...so...get over your righteous self and your double standards."

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, I think it sounds stupid and insulting no matter who it is being applied to. Race has nothing to do with it."

Hi, Exception. Meet Rule.

Posted by: Mina | October 15, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Bobby Brown is not Whitney's baby daddy (although I believe he is someone else's baby daddy).

Larry Birkhead was Anna Nicole's baby daddy.

Like jake e. poo I thought it was meant to refer to parents who were never married.

Posted by: jes | October 15, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Jakey, honey, what is that horrid thing eating your face?

Posted by: MB | October 15, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I think you guys are taking this baby daddy too seriously. And I AM usually the joy kill here...

Posted by: not bluto | October 15, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I actually referenced Puffy because he had another child with a woman who wasn't his girlfriend. The same girlfriend he hadn't married but was skipping out on. The term can apply to any guy in the same situation regardless of race.

If they were married IMO the baby daddy term doesn't apply.

Posted by: petal | October 15, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Hi, Exception. Meet Rule."

Yes, because it is always about race with some people. I won't mention any names though.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

"Hi, Exception. Meet Rule"

Where is the exception and rule for people who think all white people say "baby daddy" to desribe black fathers? Just wondering. We are not all the same either. I wonder who coined the phrase to begin with?

Posted by: Irish girl | October 15, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I was using "Baby Daddy" as in -- he's no longer her husband, but she will have a lifelong relationship with Ryan Phillippe because he fathered her children. If it weren't for the fact that he is Reese's "baby daddy" I doubt he'd have an ongoing role in her life.

I did not, however, realize how deeply negative the term is (at least according to what I just looked up over at Urban dictionary). I did not intend to imply that Ryan Phillippe is a "broke a**" anything. Clearly, he's not.

Posted by: Liz | October 15, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

My god, look at her chin. She looks like the Doug Jones "Mac Tonight" half moon face character from those old McDonalds commercials.

Posted by: fotogenic | October 16, 2007 6:00 AM | Report abuse

i agree with Melissa: total publicity stunt

Posted by: boredatwork | October 16, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

How can you leave King Leonidas off your list!!?

And what about Dan Froomkin? It's an outrage!

Posted by: JustAGirl | October 16, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"Five years is a lot if the guy is younger. Not saying it's fair, just the way it is."

I just disagree -- I think it is backlash against women for having the freedom to have relationships with whomever they want. Nobody says anything about the big age differences with their women for Brad Pitt and George Clooney etc., but Reese has a mere 6 year age difference and she's questioned.

"What happens when the chick is over 40 and he is still in his thirties?"
She has a good time.

Posted by: AH | October 16, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

sdam kvartiru shartashskiy rynok g yubileynyy sdayu kvartiru pushkin peterburg kvartiry novye kvartiry alushte vatutinki kvartira arenda gp kvartira ru snimu kvartiru gorod chehov kvartira novyy gorodok g yubileynyy sdayu kvartiru

Posted by: vatutinki kvartira arenda | December 14, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

stroitelstvo kvartir tolyatti uborka kvartiry posle pozhara prodazha kvartir gorod reutov istra novostroyki kvartiry kuplyu kvartiru caricyno uborka kvartiry posle pozhara prodazha kvartir g izhevsk snimat kvartira sdayu kvartiru sankt peterburg posutochnaya

Posted by: kuplyu kvartiru caricyno | December 14, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk

Posted by: nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk | December 16, 2007 1:56 AM | Report abuse