Posted at 10:32 AM ET, 10/22/2007

Comment Box: We (Heart) Ryan Gosling

By Liz Kelly

Ryan Gosling. (AP)

Did you read the article about Ryan Gosling in GQ [The Loner]? I like him more after every interview. Hopefully he can keep his head on straight as he becomes more famous. Seriously, he's quality. -- Submitted during last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Maybe I'm biased because not 24 hours ago I was utterly charmed by Gosling's portrayal of a lovable misanthrope in "Lars and the Real Girl." If you haven't seen this movie yet, go now. I'll wait.

I'm being unreasonable, yes? Okay. Since you may not be able to get to the theaters until lunchtime, you'll have to content yourself with the trailer for now.

(Aside: Read all about RealDolls here. )

Okay. Now that we're all up to speed -- yes, I did read GQ's peek inside the life of the guy who has transcended his early work as a child actor (see his work as a Mouseketeer or "Young Hercules") and his brush with the well-trod matinee-idol path in "The Notebook." Over the past few years, Gosling's work has taken him closer to his desire, according to GQ, to explore the darker side of the human condition:

"He began seeking out characters who were troubled and wracked by contradiction. The neo-Nazi who's also Jewish in "The Believer," the idealistic middle-school teacher with the crippling crack habit in "Half Nelson," the baby-faced sociopath in -- well, for a while there, he kinda had the market cornered on baby-faced sociopaths."

In 2006, Gosling was nominated for an Academy Award for his "Half Nelson" role. I would've said "look for him next in 'The Lovely Bones,' but news broke yesterday that Gosling dropped out of the movie a day before shooting was due to start because of "creative differences."

"I've always been surprised at how many opportunities I've gotten out of the things I really believed in, versus the things I thought I should be doing," says Gosling in the GQ article. Here's to hoping he finds something to believe in soon.

(Yes, there was the whole Rachel McAdams thing, but we're here to talk about this man's career, right?)

-----

Comment of the Week:
Ellen has a hairdresser? -- Ex Cap

-----
Creative Captioning Winning Entry

"Does this guitar make my butt look big?"

-- Submitted by reader "ep" who may hereby wear the Celebritology Captionologist mantle to any pre-Halloween week functions. To see all the week's top entries, click here.

By Liz Kelly  | October 22, 2007; 10:32 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Spears Regains Visitation Rights
Next: Morning Mix: Malibu Fires Threaten Celeb Homes

Comments

Gosling was the second best thing in the movie "Fracture." The best thing, of course, was the kinetic sculpture.

Posted by: Rex | October 22, 2007 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"...there was the whole Rachel McAdams thing..."

hold the phone, did they break up?!!?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Yes, they broke up.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I have to say that I (heart) Ryan too. So talented and so eclectic.

Posted by: vicki Pasadena, CA | October 22, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I loved Fracture! and the scene between Gosling and Hoplins in jail the first time they meet is fabulous. They really play well off each other.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I first saw him in The United States of Leland and thought he was great, it broke my heart when he turned up in a chick movie (The Notebook), but he won me back in Half Nelson. I haven't seen Fracture, because the review weren't so good, I may put it in my Netflix Queue.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

definitely worth seeing Fracture.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Fracture was certainly watchable, but the ending seemed contrived. And I kept waiting for Hopkins to mention something about liver, Chianti, and Fava beans.

Posted by: Rex | October 22, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this honor. I couldn't have done it without the inspiration of all ya'all.

On a more serious note, thank you for a a good laugh after a very anxious night about my family being evacuated from the Witch Fire (they're fine).

Posted by: ep - Celebritology Capitionist of the Week | October 22, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Which fire?

Posted by: MisterBear | October 22, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Whatever Ryan Gosling's got, he gives me the shivers (in a good way).

Posted by: POS | October 22, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

What role in the Lovely Bones was Gosling going to have?

Posted by: NY, NY | October 22, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

loved the comment of the week!

ryan gosling seems like a good guy. stay strong, ryan!

Posted by: methinks | October 22, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

He was going to be the girl's (narrator) father. But I hear he pulled out and it's now going to Mark Wahlberg. I too love me some Ryan Gosling.

Posted by: Shan | October 22, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I also heart Ryan but not his beard. Although it's not bad in this picture.

He was great in Half Nelson.

Posted by: petal | October 22, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

A Caption Contest runner-up my first time out. This could become addictive.

Posted by: yellojkt | October 22, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Kiss you!
I think this is the best site in the net I have ever visited!
Really, very nice site.
I check it regularly!
fioricet

Posted by: fioricet withdrawal | November 2, 2007 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Greetings!
Undoubtedly, you will reach big success with your site.
adipex

Posted by: adipex for 90 days | November 3, 2007 4:09 AM | Report abuse

N5dahj2 cool site!!! [url=http://lopieur1.com]cool site!!![/url] http://lopieur2.com fsURga6

Posted by: lopieur | November 27, 2007 7:46 AM | Report abuse

muzey kvartira akterov samoylovyh sdayu kvartiru sankt peterburg posutochnaya stroitelstvo kvartir tolyatti kvartiry kirovogradskaya 24 kvartira elevatornaya snimu kvartiru odnokomnatnuyu kuzminki moskva kuplyu kvartiru obyavleniya g yubileynyy sdayu kvartiru kuplyu kvartiru caricyno

Posted by: kvartira elevatornaya | December 14, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Free prescription FedEx overnight shipping pills

Posted by: Fioricet pills pain relief pills overnight shipping free prescription | December 15, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk

Posted by: nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk | December 16, 2007 6:13 AM | Report abuse

flat flat buy apartament

Posted by: House appartament | December 17, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

about still there. go home I remember living go home were having acorns australia university

Posted by: Anonymous | December 25, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

in many When It is [URL=http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-housewares-small-appliances-cookware/b?ie=UTF8&node=284507]home[/URL] and him. natural even [URL=http://home.ivillage.com/decorating/kitchens/topics/0,,4tk6,00.html]canada stone[/URL]

Posted by: Anonymous | December 25, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse