Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 10/12/2007

Friday List: Top Movie Badasses?

By Liz Kelly

One of my favorite movie moments: Sergio Leone's "Fistful of Dollars." Clint Eastwood's man with no name gnaws on a stump of a cigar as he warns the town coffinmaker to "get three coffins ready" then kills four men after admonishing them for laughing at his mule. Then, he -- well, here just watch it:

Yet, oddly, Clint's performance -- in "Fistful of Dollars" (or anything else) -- didn't make it to Maxim's list of the Top 10 Movie Badasses. Instead, they've assembled the following confounding group:

1. Lee Marvin in Point Blank (1967)
2. Jamison Newlander in The Lost Boys (1987)
2. Corey Haim in The Lost Boys (1987)
2. Corey Feldman in The Lost Boys (1987)
5. Charles Bronson in The Magnificent Seven (1960)
6. Jean Reno in Leon (aka The Professional) (1994)
7. James Caan in Thief (1981)
8. Michael Caine in Get Carter (1971)
9. Tony Jaa in The Protector (2005)
10. Choi Min-Sik in Oldboy (2003)

Maybe I'm a little old school when it comes to who I consider a badass but -- the two Coreys? Someone over at Maxim is clearly having a little fun at our expense. Sure, they battled vampires but there was nothing badass about their performances. One would as soon label "The Goonies" Navy Seals. Sub the word "dumb" for "bad," and we're in business.

So, yet again, we find ourselves faced with compiling a list that makes sense, that gives badass credit where due and does not include anyone named Corey.

Share your nominees below. Based on your contributions we'll post our kick-butt-ier list on Monday. (Even Maxim did a better job in 2003.)

By Liz Kelly  | October 12, 2007; 10:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Brit Wins Right to Sleepovers with Kids
Next: Morning Mix: Diddy Reportedly Socks Romantic Rival

Comments

No John McLean of Die Hard fame?! No William Wallace?! Val Kilmer in Top Gun or in Tombstone? Blasphemy.

Posted by: Fredneck | October 12, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Maybe because Halloween will soon be here, but I am channeling John Carpenter movies today. In that respect my nominees are Snake Plissken of Escape from New York and also Roddy Piper and Keith David in They Live, purely for the twenty minute fight scene.

Posted by: michael | October 12, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Colin Firth in, oh wait, wrong list.

Posted by: md | October 12, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

There's Eastwood in Dirty Harry, High Planes Drifter and The Outlaw Josey Wales; Arnold in Commando, Stallone in First Blood, Tom Berrenger in Platoon and Bruce in Die Hard.

Posted by: Bill | October 12, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Lee Marvin IS bad-ass in John Boorman's classic, "Point Blank." Cain and Caine also put in great performances.

What about Gene Hackman as Popeye Doyle?

Posted by: Towson | October 12, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Sigourney Weaver in the Alien movies.

Posted by: CJB | October 12, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast

Posted by: BBrown | October 12, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Tyler Durden, or The Narrator from Fight Club

Keyser Soze...maybe not traditional badass but definitely a cool customer.

And I'll second Snake Plissken!

Posted by: Organic Gal | October 12, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Lisa1 boyfriend's list:
Bruce Lee
Gene Hackman (French Connection)
Steve McQueen
Clint Eastwood
Jet Li
Steven Segal (I protest this entry)
Robert DeNiro
Harvey Keitel
Al Pacino
Lee Marvin
Charles Bronson

My list
James Cagney (Public Enemy, White Heat)
Clint Eastwood ( in all westerns)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (Terminator)
Bruce Willis (Die Hard)
Alan Rickman (Die Hard)

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 12, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I gotta give it up for Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley in the Aliens series. She's one bad-ass woman. In that same vein, Michael Biehn is great as Hicks. "I like to keep this handy for close encounters."

Another great bad-ass is Samuel Jackson in just about anything, but particularly in Pulp Fiction as Jules. It even says so on his wallet.

Posted by: DC Cubefarm | October 12, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Gary Oldman in The Professional
Don Cheedle in Devil in a Blue Dress

Posted by: petal | October 12, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

How could I forget Bruce Campbell as Ash in the Evil Dead movies.

Posted by: michael | October 12, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Bill re: Clint Eastwood. I grew up watching Clint's spaghetti westerns and the Dirty Harry movies with my dad. Don't forget Clint in For a Few Dollars More and the awesome The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Posted by: lansdale | October 12, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Showing my age here, but anybody remember Tom Laughlin as Billy Jack?

or, Kris Kristofferson as William H. Bonney in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid ("Keep the change, Bob")?

Richard Roundree as Shaft?

Posted by: b | October 12, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: He's a bad mutha... | October 12, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
Sigorney Weaver - Alien/Aliens
Mel Gibson - Mad Max

Posted by: kris | October 12, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Ace, from "Stand By Me."
Makes Jack Bauer look like Dr. Phil.

Posted by: i | October 12, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) from Hot Fuzz and Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) from Master and commander (note: reading the books has influenced my opinion of the character)

Posted by: That Guy | October 12, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Connor in Terminator 2. Oh, to have those arm muscles...

Posted by: LL | October 12, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Ooooh, I forgot about Antonio Banderas in Desperado/Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

Good choice!

I also second Snake Plissken

Al Pacino in Scarface, too.

Posted by: b | October 12, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

6. Steven Seagal - Above the Law, Out for Justice
7. Wesley Snipes - New Jack City
8. Robert DeNiro - Goodfellas, Ronin, Cape Fear
9. Mel Gibson - Payback, Braveheart
10. Charles Bronson - Chato's Land, Hard Times

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | October 12, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

John Matrix (Arnold in Commando)

Posted by: General Franklin Kirby | October 12, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

More badasses:
Jason Statham in the Transporter
Uma Thurman in Kill Bill
Pam Grier in Foxy Brown
Anne Parillaud in La Femme Nikita
Wesley Snipes in New Jack City (or are you including only heroes? If not, then...) Denzel Washington in Training Day

Posted by: Washington, DC | October 12, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The were totally right about the guy in Old Boy.
But, yeah, I second Don Cheadle in Devil in a Blue Dress.

Posted by: O.L. | October 12, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Eartha Kit

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Yes b, I remember Billy Jack. TCM ran a Billy Jack movie last week on their Underground series, Born Losers was the flick. I love those Billy Jack movies. He makes Steven Seagal look like pantywaist.

Don't Maxim & Blender have anything better to do than compile stupid lists? I'm sure they have a full staff working 24/7 on them.

Speaking of TCM, no I don't work for them just LOOOOVE the channel so much I'd marry it, tonite they have a badass on Underground, Fred Williamson.

The Coreys would flee at the mere sight of Black Caesar!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | October 12, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Dustin Hoffman: Tootsie
Pee-wee Herman (Paul Reubens): Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Jack Lemmon: Some Like It Hot
Wesley Snipes: Too Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar
John Cryer: Pretty in Pink
Barbra Streisand: Yentl
Robin Williams: Mrs. Doubtfire
Julie Andrews: Victor/Victoria
John Travolta: Hairspray
Hugh Grant: Any movie he's done

Posted by: niceFLguy | October 12, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Can we really have a list of badasses without including Darth "I Kill You For Looking at Me" Vader? I think not.

Posted by: afbrat95 | October 12, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Tony Jaa should be on anyone's list, though Ong Bak is a far better movie and showcase for his talents than The Protector was.

Clive Owen: Children of Men and Shoot 'Em Up
Vin Disel: well, for a moment he was
Lawrence Fishburne: The Matrix trillogy
Harrison Ford: Indy and Star Wars
Ewen MacGregor: Star Wars
Christian Bale: Natman
Carrie Fisher: Hey, she had her moments in Star Wars

I'd like to say Mark Hamill, but only if we count voice roles since he was The Joker for awhile.

Posted by: EricS | October 12, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Legolas in all three LOTR movies. No one could touch him.

Posted by: jcm | October 12, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

CHUCK NORRIS

Posted by: MyPetToaster | October 12, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The Maxim list must be satire.

Posted by: DD | October 12, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct

Posted by: still | October 12, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

As others have noted already, a Badass list without Samuel L. Jackson's Jules (or his Ordell) and Darth Vader is pretty sad.

Joe Don Baker as Buford T. Pusser in "Walking Tall."

Earl Pastko as Mr. Skin in Bruce McDonald's "Highway 61."

Sterling Hayden in "Dr. Strangelove" and "The Killing."

Robert Mitchum in the first "Cape Fear" and in "Night of the Hunter."

William Conrad in "The Killers."

Robert Carlyle in "Trainspotting."

And, as my kid would say, "That guy - you know, he was in that movie? The one where they wore coats? Him." (He's probably the baddest of them all.)

Posted by: byoolin | October 12, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Pootie Tang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: your husband | October 12, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

In no particular order:

From Snatch:
Vinnie Jones: Bullet Tooth Tony
Rade Serbedzija: Boris the Blade, or Boris "the Bullet Dodger."
Alan Ford: Brick Top

From Boondock Saints:
Sean Patrick Flanery: Connor MacManus
Norman Reedus: Murphy MacManus
Billy Connolly: Il Duce

In general:
Al Pacino
Samuel L. Jackson
Chuck Norris (just to perpetuate the jokes)

Posted by: mls | October 12, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Powers Boothe in "Sudden Death"

John Malkovich as "Cyrus the Virus" in Con Air

Steve Buscemi as Garland Greene in "Con Air" (this one girl -- I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat)

Hannibal Lecter -- I mean, COME ON!

Posted by: SusanOnTheHill | October 12, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

OH ... a new addition to the list: Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises. Badassery has a new king, and his name is Viggo

Posted by: SusanOnTheHill | October 12, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Linda Hamilton - Terminator
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill

These two could kick the Coreys rears any day.

Posted by: Danielle | October 12, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, and one more...

Daniel Craig - Casion Royale

Posted by: Danielle | October 12, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

NiceFlGuy:

Not *those* kinds of asses!

LMAO

Posted by: b | October 12, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Two words:

John Shaft

Posted by: He's a bad mutha...

Shut yo mouth!

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Shaft
ROCKY BALBOA

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Bacon in that whitewater rafting movie hahahah. seriously.

Posted by: not bluto | October 12, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Posted by: not bluto | October 12, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Am I the meanest?

--Sho Nuff!

Am I the prettiest?

--Sho Nuff!

Who's the BADDEST mofo low-down around this town?

--Sho Nuff!

What's my name?

--Sho Nuff!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!

--SHO NUFF!!!!!

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I bet no one gets that reference. lol. I don't care. It cracks me up.

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

AL PACINO - THE GODFATHER

Posted by: MOM | October 12, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt in Troy (BadAss-alicious)

That Sexy A$$ BadAss of BadAsses from the movie 300! I don't know his name, but OOOOHHHH, he makes me wanna be baaaaaaaaaaaaaad, so bad, so so bad. I just wanna be bad all over his...

Alright, I'm back. I'm calm. I'm cool.

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Snake Plissken!!!!!! F*&%ing awesome!
Antonio Banderas in Desperado/Once Upon a Time In Mexico
Clive Owen in Sin City (well....maybe I just think he's hot in that movie, well he is just plain hot in any movie)
Elijah Wood in Sin City, he was freakin insane!
Gerard Butler in 300

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Rudy Ray Moore as Dolomite

Posted by: michael | October 12, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Lee Van Cleef - Good, Bad & Ugly; his eyes still give me the willies. After all, he was "the Bad" (Eastwood was "the Good", Eli Wallach "the Ugly"). Hell, give it up for all three.......

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

interns are running amuck at Maxim, that much is clear.

Posted by: erm | October 12, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Chow Yun Fat:

A Better Tomorrow
Hard-Boiled

Posted by: NamelessFaceless | October 12, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Gerard Butler in 300."

Ah, so that's his name! What an inadequate name for such a virile, sexy beast of a man.

Okay, I must leave Celebritology because I am at work and either there is something in the coffee or I am ovulating because my hormones are raging...

lol...tmi?

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Russell Crowe - Gladiator

Jackie Earle Haley (Kelly Leak) - Bad News Bears

James Purefoy (Mark Antony)
Ray Stevenson (Pullo)
Kevin McKidd (Vorenus) - all from HBO's Rome

Posted by: Jenn | October 12, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction

Posted by: md | October 12, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Anonimis,

I think I know the movie you're talking about but the name escapes me. What is it?

Posted by: petal | October 12, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Which one? The Last Dragon? or 300?

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

SHO NUFF!!!

That was too funny!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Craig -- Casino Royale (as someone else mentioned)

Robert Mitchum -- Night of the Hunter (and probably in others, but he was downright creepy in this one)

Humphrey Bogart -- Maltese Falcon

Sidney Poitier -- In the Heat of the Night

Posted by: Capsfan6 | October 12, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Top Bada$$es EVER:
1. Eric Bana - Chopper
2. Vinnie Jones - Snatch
3. Chow Yun Fat - Hard Boiled

Honorable Mention:
4. Billy Moseley - the Devil's Rejects

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | October 12, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Robert Duvall as Colonel Bill Kilgore in Apocalypse Now.

"I love the smell of naplam in the morning."

Posted by: Mister Methane | October 12, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The one I thought of immediately was Bo Hopkins character in AMERICAN GRAFFITI (the head of the Pharoahs gang).

Also Ricardo Montalban as Khan in STAR TREK II.

Posted by: Margo | October 12, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Matt Damon in the Bourne movies.

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Melvin Van Peebles in Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song. It's even in the title, you can't fight that.
Also Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird, Jean Servais in Rififi, Glenn Close in Dangerous Liasons, Anthony Quinn in Lawrence of Arabia, Werner Herzog in The Burden of Dreams and Klaus Kinski in Aguirre: The Wrath of God.

Posted by: Violet | October 12, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Connor MacLeod (Highlander).
The Wicked Witch of the West. And her flying monkey army.
Daniel Craig. Any list with "ass" and "Daniel Craig" is worth discussing.

Posted by: musicgeek | October 12, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Jean-Paul Belmondo - Breathless

Steve McQueen - Bullitt

Posted by: Adam | October 12, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

OMG...

We forgot Bruce Lee.

Posted by: b | October 12, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

The one with the sho nuff quote. If it was the Last Dragon I was off.

Posted by: petal | October 12, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah, petal, it was The Last Dragon. Bruce LeRoy versus Sho Nuff. What? Nobody saw that? It's a must see.

Posted by: Anonimis | October 12, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

What about Bridget Fonda in Point of No Return or the chick in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Posted by: dc | October 12, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Trying to fit Colin Firth into a bad-ass role. Uhh...it was kind of bad-ass when he marched through the streets in Love Actually to find the Portuguese girl. But, ok, I'm just going to have to go with Daniel Craig as my English Hottie of the Friday List.

No, wait! In one of the Bridget Jones movies, Colin Firth totally fights Hugh Grant, and one of them gets thrown through a plate-glass window! Rowr!

Posted by: h3 | October 12, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Bad A$$ ensembles:

Freeman, Hackman, and Eastwood - Unforgiven
Eastwood, et al. - Any of the "Man with no name" spaghetti westerns
Schwarznegger, Weathers, and Ventura - Predator
Biehn and Weaver - Aliens
Biehn and Hamilton - Terminator

Posted by: KJ | October 12, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

uhhh...John Wayne perhaps

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I saw the headline and clicked on the link, deciding that the top movie badass of all time was Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and blammo, I see the clip from "A Few Dollars More." Glad that it was THAT obvious.

Most of the mentions above get nothing from me. Bruce Campbell a "badass?" the evil dead series were comedies.

Posted by: DCer | October 12, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

if we're goin with Chow Yun Fat, we need to go with 'the killers'
Uma is required
Sigourney 'get away from her you b&#ch' is good

but people...
how can you NOT put Toshirō Mifune on that list...

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | October 12, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Darth Vader

Posted by: CJB | October 12, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Why are there NO WOMEN on that list?

I would add:
Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2
Uma Thurman in Kill Bill
Sigorney Weaver in Alien/s

Posted by: Julia | October 12, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Mickey Rourke in Sin City.

Posted by: bevster | October 12, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Bruce Willis - Pulp Fiction when he's selecting his weapon of choice

Clint Eastwood - The Unforgiven - "any of you shoot at me and I'll shoot you, shoot your family, shoot all of your friends and burn down you G__ Damn house".

Uma in Kill Bill

Matt Damen as Bourne

Bruce Lee in real life.

Posted by: TJ | October 12, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, everybody in "The Wild Bunch."
John Wayne in "The Searchers."

My favorite is Mal Reynolds in "The Train Job" episode of the TV series "Firefly, " however. He is patiently explaining to the No. 1 Henchman of the evil crime boss why he, Mal, is returning the fee for the job that he had contracted and then reneged on. The henchman begins to threaten Mal, and Mal kicks the henchman into the turbine of an idling jet engine. He then turns to the No. 2 Henchman and begins patiently explaining why he is returning the fee.

Posted by: Mr. Natural | October 12, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hugh Jackman- X-Men
Vin Diesel- Pitch Black
Lucy Lawless- Xena (i know it's TV but awesome)
The old married couple in- kung Fu Hustle
Russel Crowe- L.A. Confidential

Posted by: L8yf8 | October 12, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

That is a sad list. I'd substitute James Coburn for Charles Bronson in The Magnificent Seven, take all The Lost Boys off (although Kiefer was pretty bad ass in that movie) and add Bruce Willis on there somewhere.

Posted by: Stella | October 12, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

For my money, Clint Eastwood was more of a badass in The Bridges of Madison County than either of the Coreys will ever be, on or off screen.

Posted by: arlington | October 12, 2007 7:40 PM | Report abuse

NO ONE from "The Lost Boys" was a badass. It was also a simply terrible movie.
Here we go:

9) Robert DeNiro, The Deer Hunter, Taxi
Driver, Ronin
10) Arnold Schwarzenegger, True Lies,
Predator, the Terminator

Posted by: Mike Szedon | October 12, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Maximus Decimus Meridius
Commander of the armies of the north,
and General of the Felix legions.
Loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius.
Father to a murdered son,
husband to a murdered wife,
and I will have my vengeance...
In this life or the next.

Posted by: umm...gladiator? | October 13, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Robert de Niro in "Taxidriver"-"Are you talking to me?"
Nick Nolte in "Extreme Prejudice"
Kurt Russel in "Tombstone"
Linda Hamilton in "Terminator 2" "Hello Dr. Silverman, how's the knee?"
Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) in Aliens "Hey Vasquez, ever been mistaken for a man?" - "No, you?"
Clint Eastwood in just about any movie he ever made
Gene Hackman in "Unforgiven"
Mel Gibson in "Lethal Weapon" and "Payback"

Posted by: HÃ¥gar | October 15, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Number 1 with a bullet:

Jack Palance in "Shane"

Posted by: Alan Ladd | October 15, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Patrick Swayze, Road House

Posted by: musicgeek | October 15, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I was sick on Friday but here is my list anyway:

Bruce Willis: Die Hard
The Rock-The Scorpion King
James Cann-The God Father

Pretty much all the main actors in the departed except Matt Damon and Martin Sheen.

Hey, I'm Irish I had to throw them in there.

Posted by: Irish girl | October 15, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow this is one of the most f'ed up lists ever, leave it to Maxim though. No real order for my list below.

Clint Eastwood - The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Unforgiven, Fisful of Dollars(you know juat about everything.
Russel Crowe - Gladiator
Mel Gibson - Braveheart, The Patriot
Bruce Lee - everything he was in?
Uma Thurman - KillBill
Viggo Mortensen - LOTR Trilogy, A Histroy of Violence, Eastern Promises
Robert De Niro - Taxi Driver, Deer Hunter, Heat
Ian McKellen - LOTR Trilogy, X-men
Tony Jaa - Ong-bak, The Protector
John Wanye!
Vinnie Jones - Snatch, EuroTrip, The Condemned, X-Men 3, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels(he has quite a list)
Jason Statham - The Transoporter(s), Crank
Mila Jovovich - The Fifth Element, Resident Evil, Ultra Violet

Some mentions Sean Bean, William Fitchner, Eric Bana(h00t), Charlize Theron

That's all I really feel like typing up, and oh Elijah Wood from Sin City, BEAST!

Posted by: Waltz | October 16, 2007 4:56 AM | Report abuse

Wesley Snipes - Blade Movies
Russel Crowe - Gladiator

Posted by: Gater | October 16, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Ugh - who made this list?

Posted by: Cactus Head | October 16, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Eric Bana in Chopper....
awesome
Reese Witherspoon (you heard me) in Freeway
Chow Yun fat in the Killer and Hard Boiled
Tadanobu Asano in Ichi the Killer

The Coreys? Lost Boys? LAME!!!!

Posted by: Poppus | October 16, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Gotta add my 2 cents

Ed Norton (American History X)
Should be on the list somewhere.
I still get chills after that curb stomp.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

bruce in (the first) "die hard." arnold -- and most of the rest of his unit -- in (the first) "predator." pre-shame mel in "road warrior." samuel l. jackson in almost anything. russell crowe in "gladiator" and "l.a. confidential." viggo in "eastern promises." harvey keitel in "reservoir dogs." gerard butler in "300." deniro in half a dozen films. jet li. bruce lee. chow yun fat. vin diesel's voice.

clint, mcqueen, and bogart uber alles.

does maxim know ANYTHING?

Posted by: westward ho | October 16, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

where's hans gruber?

where's the sheriff "cancel all the table scraps for lepers and orphans, cancel all merciful beheadings and...cancel christmas" of nottingham?

Posted by: Jessie | October 16, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This list was clearly written by some 80's cokehead stoner...

Turn off Goonies and go watch a real movie, will you?

Posted by: Lyn | October 16, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

CHUCK NORRIS in just about anything, including my....erm...HIS...HIIIIS infomercials....

Posted by: Chuck Norris | October 16, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Toshiro Mifune was the biggest badass of them all. Need I educate anyone that Clint's Man With No Name is a total ripoff of Mifune in Yojimbo?

Posted by: sqwerty | October 16, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

-Samuel L. Jackson as Jules (WTF Maxim?), Sigourney Weaver as Ripley and Bruce "This is my Boomstick!" Campbell are must-adds.

Surprised no one brought this up yet, but:

*Mickey Rourke* as Marv in Sin City!

Posted by: pistolstar | October 17, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you're going to put anyone from Lost Boys on this list, it should be Kiefer Sutherland. But they haven't made a 24 movie (yet...) so I guess Jack Bauer is disqualified.

Posted by: pistolstar | October 17, 2007 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I second the nomination of Snake Plissken from Escape From New York. Here are a few other of my favorite movie badasses:

- Ian McShane as Al Swearengen in Deadwood
- Slyvester Stallone as John Rambo in First Blood
- Ken Foree as Peter in the original Dawn of the Dead (1978)
- Michael Douglas as Bill Foster in Falling Down
- George Clooney as Seth Gecko in From Dusk Till Dawn
- R. Lee Ermey as Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket
- Rutger Hauer as John Ryder in The Hitcher
- Camille Keaton as Jennifer Hills in I Spit On Your Grave
- Tadanobu Asano as Kakihara in Ichi the Killer
- Patricia Tallman as Barbara in the Night of the Living Dead remake (1990)
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as Dutch in Predator
- Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey in Death Wish
- Clint Eastwood as Joe in A Fistful of Dollars
- Linda Hamilton as Sarah Conner in Terminator 2: Judgement Day
- Franco Nero as Django in Django
- Bruce Lee as Lee in Enter the Dragon

Posted by: Ms. C | October 17, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

bruce campbell is totally badass.
chow yun fat too.
toshiro in anything.
but sameul l jackson is the most badass of all time and not just in pulp fiction. if he stares at you hard enough your brain explodes.

Posted by: zach | October 21, 2007 3:16 AM | Report abuse

bruce campbell is totally badass.
chow yun fat too.
toshiro in anything.

Posted by: zach | October 21, 2007 3:16 AM | Report abuse

bruce campbell is totally badass.
chow yun fat too.
toshiro in anything.

Posted by: zach | October 21, 2007 3:16 AM | Report abuse

anyone who put corey feldman on a badass list should be embarrassed.

Posted by: whoev | October 25, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

1. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry)
2. Ray Liotta (Goodfellas)
3. Stallone (Rambo)
4. Brad Pitt (Fight Club)
5. Stallone (Rocky)
6. Bruce Lee (That movie where he fights Kareem Abdul Jabbar....)
7. Hannibal Lecter (SOTL)
8. Eric Bana (Munich)