Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 10/ 3/2007

Highbrow: The Beehive Buzzes Again

By Liz Kelly

Amy Winehouse. (AP)

The Beehive: Amy Honey, How Do You Stand It?
Telegraph.co.uk. One intrepid reporter gives Amy's top-heavy tangle a go (on tape) and finds it's more work than pleasure.

Crucial Nugget: Winehouse's hairdresser, Alex Foden, uses furballs made from part-synthetic, part-real hair stuffed inside hairnets to pad out the singer's barnet, but top stylist Hari -- who teases the most famous tresses in London -- assures me that the same effect can be achieved with backcombing.

Not That Innocent
Slate.com. Can Britney Spears get her kids back? Slate's Emily Bazelon handicaps Brit's odds of tipping the scales of justice back in her favor.

Crucial Nugget: K-Fed is hardly looking like the ideal long-term alternative here -- his drug use has also concerned the court in the recent past. Maybe he only looks good now because Spears looks so infuriating.

Dream Role
New York Magazine. Brother Jake talks about directing his talented (and insouciant) sister Gwyneth in his directorial debut, "The Good Night."

Crucial Nugget: This is the world one imagines the Paltrows grew up in: a kind of psychic Amagansett, with artists and stars suddenly spinning into view.

More Good Reads:
-- Stephen Fry on fame.
-- Herbie Hancock on his musical tech toolbox.
-- Andrew Cunanan, the musical? (Registration required.)

Highbrow is a semi-regular post which presumes to take a somewhat regular look at the world beyond (read: "above") the tabloids and paparazzi-driven blogs we normally frequent here in Celebritology (though, we do love them). Suggest links or trollable sites to celebritology@washingtonpost.com

By Liz Kelly  | October 3, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Highbrow
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Spears Disobeyed Judge
Next: Morning Mix: Kid Rock Says Anderson Lied About Miscarriage

Comments

I love Stephen Fry. If only we could get QI and his other things over here. He is Britain's National Treasure.

Posted by: jess | October 3, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Re. Winehouse pic -- beehive or rat's nest?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | October 3, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

If two Paltrows are in the same room, wouldn't the masses of pretentiousness collide to form a black hole? Or would the insouciance from the Gwynneth counterbalance the implosion and stabilize the atmosphere?

Posted by: LE | October 3, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

How does Amy stand the beehive? By being too stoned out of her mind to care. Screw rehab, get her another hairstyle and she won't have to turn to altering her mind to ignore it.

Posted by: ep | October 3, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm in a show this December for which I have to do my hair in Elizabethan style (think bulbous protrusions at the hairline above the forehead). The fake-hair things you use to give your hair volume are called "rats." Yeah. That just makes the whole thing even less appetizing.

Posted by: hh | October 3, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

re: paltrow piece--when paul mccartney comes wheeling up on the bike in the...what?...4th 'graph...they lost me.
i hate pretentious writers almost as much as their pretentious subjects.

re: slate piece--very good less quilty pleasurish reading about britney. me likes!

Posted by: methinks | October 3, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping the beehive gains popularity - I see a future home-based business in harvesting those wads my cats puke up.

What to do with all the money, what to do...

Posted by: Cubeland, MD | October 3, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

um...that should read less GUILTY pleasurish, not quilty as in 'i read the tabloids under a quilt'.

Posted by: methinks | October 3, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what's scarier, the rat's nest on Amy Wine-o's head, or how enormous her skeleton-hands look at the end of the bony appendanges that were once her arms.

Posted by: Californian | October 3, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Good job, Liz - I actually enjoyed the Paltrow piece (maybe BECAUSE the writer was pretentious?), but couldn't make any headway on Fry - not that I even know who the heck he is or why he might be interesting. I don't mean to take issue with Jess here, just that not every article will appeal to every person.

The Brit-Brit analysis was also fun. All in all, a good read was had by all. Still waiting for the New York Review article. There was a good one the other month about Louis MacNeice. I realize that he's been dead for longer than most of your readers have been alive, but still...

Posted by: Bogota | October 3, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Cool Herbie Hancock story too - but it might have been more fun if he'd done an album of Bon Jovi songs instead of Joni Mitchell. Joni - how insouciant.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I misread the Jake/Gwyneth blurb and thought it was talking about Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Imagine my disappointment when I clicked on the link.

Posted by: Arlington | October 3, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

arlington, i can both imagine and *feel* your disappointment.

Posted by: methinks | October 3, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Stephen Fry sounds like a very nice guy. I'm reading Wodehouse right now, and every time Jeeves "speaks" in the book, I hear Stephen's voice.
There's a nice, silly movie called Peter's Friends which has vintage Fry, also Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson, who were all friends in college.

Posted by: POS | October 3, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm so late on this, but HAHAHA George Washington! Not that you do, of course, but that comment and the "tube sock" comment made the whole chat hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing.

Posted by: not bluto | October 3, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh hey! Stephen Fry has a blog? Sweet! There was a fascinating article in the New Yorker a few years ago about stage fright that included an incident where he skipped out on a play. Just didn't show up. Vanished to somewhere. I found it kind of comforting to know wildly successful actors have this problem, too.

Posted by: h3 | October 4, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Celia didn't quite do her homework about Amy Winehouse's beehive. Amy uses clip-on beehives, which does sound easier than going through making a new one every day!

Amy locks on best beehiviour

Posted by: dovetale | October 4, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse