Posted at 12:50 PM ET, 10/31/2007

'Lost' Book Club: Time for 'Time'

By Jen Chaney

After weathering the challenging but mercifully short "The Turn of the Screw," Book Club regulars might assume our November choice to be easy and breezy; something to set the tone for the onset of the holiday season. Perhaps the Sawyer fave "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" or the well-worn high school standard "Of Mice and Men" so we can all fake it a bit.

(Bantam)

No such luck. As we close in on February's season opening shows, we owe it to ourselves to kick our literary sleuthing up a notch. So like Juliet, who downed the drug-laced orange juice to find her way to the island, or Locke, who didn't let reason prevent him from blowing the hatch wide open or Matthew Fox, who bravely allowed the make-up department to spirit gum a patchy beard to his face in last season's finale, we too must push past our fears and face the November's "Lost" Book Club selection: Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time."

Why We Chose It: Clearly we are actively trying to make people's heads explode (Starting with mine. -- Liz). But there are other, more academic reasons for selecting this 1988 best-seller that attempts to explain various complex scientific and mathematical theories in a way that even dum-dums like us (She means me. -- Liz) can understand.

"A Brief History of Time" has a brief history on "Lost." Specifically, it popped up twice during season three -- once during the "Not in Portland" episode and later, on the desk of none another than Benjamin Linus in "The Man From Tallahassee." On both occasions, the book was tied to The Others. We want to know why.

Secondly, Hawking's book attempts to explain things like the Big Bang theory and time travel, a concept that could be crucial to understanding all those flashbacks and flash forwards. Seriously, there's an entire chapter in here called "Wormholes and Time Travel." And if that doesn't get every "Lost" and/or "Donnie Darko" fan's blood pumping, we don't know what will.

Finally, and most importantly, we are actively trying to make your heads explode.

Why You Should Read It: If your head does not explode you will be able to casually acquaint people with the fact that you read Hawking.

And because any "Lost" scholar worth his or her salt should at least attempt to understand the scientific principles the "Lost" writers may be exploring. And if any book can explain them, Stephen Hawking's is it. Also, Stephen Hawking once cameo'd on "The Simpsons." So, uh, there you have it.

Carry on. We'll gather to discuss our revelations on Wednesday, Nov. 21 Wednesday, Nov. 28, at Noon ET.

-- Jen and Liz

By Jen Chaney  | October 31, 2007; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Elvis Top-Earning Dead Celeb
Next: Morning Mix: Dog the Bounty Hunter Sorry for Racist Rant

Comments

oh come on liz, it's not a hard book to read... plus its short... and if that video of stoned britney is any indication then i'm sure she's read it...

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | October 31, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh great Liz! Thanks for the hard a** pick- my head is exploding just thinking about reading Hawking's book. This is starting to feel like school all over again.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 31, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I love how I get blamed. Please direct at least 50 percent of this outrage at Jen!

Posted by: Liz | October 31, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

wow. it's a good thing i wasn't a member of this book club because this book would have knocked me out, cold.
good luck readers!

Posted by: methinks | October 31, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Jen (and Liz), but I think you selected the wrong book. Instead, you should have gone with 'A Short History of Nearly Everything,' by Bill Bryson.

It took me three attempts (over a period of five years) to get through the Hawking book, and I still don't get half of it.

Bryson's work, on the other hand, explores many of the same (or similar) topics, and does so with great wit and minimal pain and suffering. I got through A Short History on my first attempt, and actually enjoyed much of it.

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | October 31, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

MRS. P.: I've been reading this giant book about how to put your budgie down.

MRS. C.: Why? Is it not well?

MRS. P.: No, we just don't like it very much. Anyway, the book says you can just hit it there [GESTURES] between the eyes, or drop the book on it.

Posted by: Mrs. Premise and Mrs. Conclusion. | October 31, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon, no fun Halloweeny list like last year's "How to Survive a Horror Flick"? Poo. :(

Posted by: :-( | October 31, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

yes! please, Liz, post a link to last year's "How to Survive a Horror Flick!!" man, that was wicked-funny. I still think about it!

Posted by: :-) | October 31, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Next Month's Book needs to be Stephen King's The Stand.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Hi! Nice site! I wish you well!

Posted by: Debbie | November 3, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello

What do you think about this? When it happens?

Posted by: Eskimosik | November 16, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Hi

What do you think about this? When it happens?

Posted by: Eskimosik | November 18, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hi

What do you think about this? When it happens?

Posted by: Eskimosik | November 20, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Greetings to all.

Prompt the best online shop on sale of Books.

Posted by: careybagsbon | November 21, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I need to take out a [url=http://groups.msn.com/PersonalLoansOnline-UnsecuredBadCreditOK/]unsecured bad credit personal loans no credit check fast[/url] yet i have no credit at all. I am working and im getting about 3-4 thousand a month. Is there a number i can call to make a personal loan?

Posted by: gypeclouppore | November 22, 2007 6:04 AM | Report abuse

I need to take out a [url=http://groups.msn.com/PersonalLoansOnline-UnsecuredBadCreditOK/]personal unsecured loans for bad credit[/url] yet i have no credit at all. I am working and im getting about 3-4 thousand a month. Is there a number i can call to make a personal loan?

Posted by: gypeclouppore | November 23, 2007 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Auto insurance quote comparison cheap life insurance rates term or whole life term life insurance no medical exam cheap auto insurance michigan.
Texas insurance auto insurance california uk online car insurance quote madrassas resist regulation home based business loans for bad credit.

Posted by: carcanada | November 23, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Enter the Secret Amazon Web Pages:

[url=http://bargains-hunter.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-find-bargains-at-amazons-secret.html]Amazon Secret Web Pages[/url]

Posted by: occawsignic | November 23, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

A man is trying a very unusual way to propose to his girlfriend. He wants people to forward an email to as many people as possible and he hopes that it will eventually get to his girlfriend. Details here: http://www.proposal-to-mary.com

Here is what he wants people to send by email:

You could help me a lot to spread my proposal to Mary - it is important that it is distributed as widely as possible so that it eventually reaches Mary. If you would like to support my proposal to Mary, please send the following text by email to a lot of people :-)

------------- SNIP (email text end) ---------------

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS, PLEASE HELP TO DISTRIBUTE IT TO OTHER PEOPLE!

For a long time I have tried to find a special way to propose marriage to my girlfriend Mary, whom I know for five years now. I wanted it very special, romantic and memorable, something our grandchildren would still remember.

And here is my idea: I will send out the proposal to Mary to 50 complete strangers, people I don't know - hoping, that they will forward my proposal to as many people as possible, which in turn forward it etc. And some day, I hope, it will reach Mary, after it has travelled a very long way. I know, it will take a long time and I am quite nervous...

From the poem MY Mary will know immediately that the proposal is for her.

I have created a homepage ( http://www.proposal-to-mary.com ) where you can find the current status of my quest. You can use the homepage to check if the proposal has already reached Mary (in that case it is not necessary anymore to forward the mail).

Once the proposal has reached Mary, I will put a note on these pages. Also I will publish there how many people have read the proposal so that everybody can see how far it has spread and that it is getting closer to Mary.

And of course you will find there what I am waiting for most: Mary's answer! I can't tell you, how nervous I am... Will she accept my proposal? Will she like the unusual way how she got it, through the hands of thousands of messengers all over the world?

Please cross your fingers for me! And please - help me by sending the mail to as many people as possible, to help it spread, so that it eventually reaches Mary.

And here is my proposal:

Mary, please forgive me, as you know English is not my native language. And I am not a poet. But I mean it from my heart.

My angel,

Five years ago, I will always remember the day When fate made us meet, blissful Alaskan moments in May Earth spun around us and a journey began Love, warmth, happiness, enough the years to span.

The longer it lasts the more grows our bond And with 80 still - of you I will be fond Whatever happens, I will stay at your side Through good and bad, together let us stride

No second with you was ever wasted
You are the sweetest I have ever tasted
We have spent so many years - why not a life?
Mary, will you marry me - and become my wife?

Mary, if you have received that and have recognized me, then give me a sign so that I can continue with the romantic part of my proposal...

------------- SNIP (email text end) ---------------

Posted by: Shelrybrielty | November 26, 2007 4:11 AM | Report abuse

My wife and I have [url=http://blogs.ign.com/d-johnson/2007/09/23/67042/]mortgage refinance bad credit home loans[/url]. But we want to take the home loan to buy a second home, where we can take the bad credit home loans california debt consolidation?

Posted by: DaveWeHunson | November 26, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

[img]http://www.pictaboo.com/f/1194100390154.jpg[/img] black-country-museum-rolfe

Posted by: Urgegonameeni | November 26, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I need to take out a [url=http://groups.msn.com/PersonalLoansOnline-UnsecuredBadCreditOK/]accept unsecured bad credit personal loans[/url] yet i have no credit at all. Is there a phone number i can call to make a personal bad credit unsecured loans?

Posted by: gypeclouppore | November 26, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse