Posted at 8:04 AM ET, 10/24/2007

Morning Mix: Reese and Jake Take Romantic Rome Vacation

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal come out as a couple... Ellen DeGeneres hopes her rule-breaking won't discourage people from adopting pets... Elvis memorabilia collection lost to Malibu wildfires... Could Tori Spelling's B&B be next?... Marie Osmond's partner blames fires for fainting spell... Tom Cruise plans to "cheer up" David Beckham after injury-riddled soccer season... Beckham voted Manliest Man by Web site... Ewan McGregor annoyed by Britain's "nanny state"... Larry David denies "Curb Your Enthusiasm" plot mirrors his own divorce... Isla Fisher and Sacha Baron Cohen ("Borat") welcome baby girl. Is good... Gretchen Mol delivered a healthy baby boy in September and we didn't notice. Shame on us... Lindsay Lohan and new boyfriend give good photo op... Mariah Carey says she wants marriage before having kids... Robert Goulet sedated, awaiting lung transplant... Judge issues arrest warrant for reggae artist Beenie Man on tax evasion charges... Garrison Keillor gets restraint warrant against alleged harasser... Foxy Brown segregated from other prisoners after scuffle... Sock worn by photog run over by Britney Spears for sale on eBay... Marilyn Manson's home on the market for $1.1 million (take a virtual tour)... Trailer for new Paris Hilton movie "Repo! The Genetic Opera" now online (possibly NSFW).

Rumor Mill: Allegations of sexual abuse emerge at Oprah-backed South African school... Britney Spears's parenting coach filed "damaging report."

Say What?
"You may find the behavior vulgar and disgusting, but it was done to amuse, to entertain, to get a laugh." -- Vincent "Don Vito" Margera's lawyer explains his client's behavior. Margera is accused of grabbing the breasts or buttocks of a 14-year-old girl and two 12-year-old girls at a Colorado skate park.

Bonus: 10 other fictional characters who (like the recently outed Dumbledore) may be gay.

By Liz Kelly  | October 24, 2007; 8:04 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tom Hanks: His Space
Next: Trouble in the Kidman-Urban Paradise?

Comments

Tori Spelling may lose her B & B, but I notice she was not there to be evacuated. Not that I want her caught in a fire, but how do you manage a B & B when you aren't even there? I guess she only shows up to "manage" when the cameras are on.

Kudos to all the Celebritology hotspots that have closed to the celebrities so they can serve the firefighters.

Posted by: ep | October 24, 2007 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Granted, I didn't read the article, but I don't think I want to know how Tom Cruise proposes to cheer up David Beckham...

Posted by: surlychick | October 24, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

And I can't believe that Jonathan Roberts is blaming wildfires for Marie Osmond's purported fainting. What a horrendously stupid man.

Posted by: surlychick | October 24, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

I am having a hard time with the list of Manliest Men. Beckham is no. 1? The poster boy for the metrosexual movement is the manliest man?

Posted by: michael | October 24, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Blanche? Somehow I suspected that if any of the Golden Girls were gay, it would have been Rose.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Marilyn Manson's house is distressingly normal, except for that hideous purple carpeting in the one room. I kept expecting to see skulls on the table or something.

Posted by: DC Cubefarm | October 24, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Proposed Friday list: Top Ten Hollywood Beards.

Posted by: DJ | October 24, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

AskMen.com readers must be in prison or are very desperate because how else does Timbaland makes a "Manliest Man List"

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 24, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I would expect Tori Spelling to go back to the woods by her Inn and find a deer to save from the fire.

Posted by: Betty | October 24, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Marilyn Manson's house is distressingly normal, except for that hideous purple carpeting in the one room."

Agreed, but it does look like his personal effects have already been removed. The black sheets tacked up over the windows in the bedroom reminded me of every wanna be musician and/or hipster that I ever met in college...ah, those were the days!

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 24, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

OK, that photo of Lando Calrissian just made me spit coffee all over the keyboard! I love the slightly turned in left foot and the cape - that is just too much!

Also, anyone who is desparate enough to stalk Garrison Keillor needs help - ew! OK, just ew!

Posted by: sunnydaze | October 24, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

ooh, love that one, DJ. You can start the list with kelly Preston.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Spock is not gay. Remember how he seduced the female Romulan in the thigh-high boots? Which involved rubbing her ears. Sort of weird, actually.
PS: Is anyone else having a hard time with the links today?

Posted by: POS | October 24, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise: I'll cheer up David Beckham after troubled season.

Anyone reminded of a certain South Park episode?

Posted by: jes | October 24, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

yes, POS, and i blame it on the wildfires and my allergies.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Uh who's gretchen mol?

Also, top hollywood beard: blue cantrell with that alex xy guy

Posted by: not bluto | October 24, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

BTW, Heather Mills calling Marie Osmond's fainting 'such a dramatic fall' makes me think she's just jealous because her fall last season looked so staged.

Posted by: jes | October 24, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

famous hollywood beards: any of Tom Cruise's wives (former and current).

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

So I guess the romantic trip to Rome kinda dispels the "Jake Gyllenhaal is SO gay" rumor, eh? Bummer. I was hoping someone would show Reese some tabloid snaps of Jake between the sheets with Cruise and Beckham, thus ending the affair and allowing me to step in and mend her broken heart.

Oh, well. There's always world domination, I guess.

Posted by: MisterBear | October 24, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Wait, what kind of beards are we talking, here? I'm disappointed because I'm kind of a fan of male facial hair.
sigh

Posted by: ol | October 24, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet Reese has a cute little beard.

Posted by: MisterBear | October 24, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

You know, I read the item yesterday about Paris Hilton being booed at the Scream awards...and then I watched the show last night. She didn't get booed any worse than half the people who took the stage. Why people insist on making her part of the "news" even when absolutely nothing happens, I'll probably never understand.

And her movie looks craptastic.

Posted by: That anonymous guy | October 24, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Lisa1 - I'm ALL for Timabaland on that list - I think he's way sexy - and a really powerful dude in his circles!

Posted by: Alison in TN | October 24, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for these fictional characters to come out of the closet:

Snagglepuss ("Heavens to Murgatroyd!")

Velma Dinkley

The Great Gazoo

Miss Jane Hathaway

Posted by: Rip | October 24, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Important Memo

To: All Men on Earth

Please do not marry Mariah Carey. Thank you.

Sincerely,
ASinMoCo

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 24, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Rip, you may need to rethink the definition of closet if you think Miss Hathaway wasn't out.

Posted by: OL | October 24, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

the NY Mag cites "her name is Lilith" as a reason she must be gay. Um, NY Mag, Lilith was a succubus who preyed on MEN.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Timbaland (with his new muscles) could take on all those in guys in a barroom bawl but "Manliest Man", No. He could join the Justice League as "SupaProducer" and rid the world of bad music.

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 24, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

hey 10:53, the same could be said for aileen vournos and she was definitely a woman (and lesbian) who preyed on men.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

degeneres is still a buffoon in my book. her actions caused the entire uproar and she has failed to accept responsibility for them. according to some other sources, she has a history of adopting dogs and then dumping them on other people when it "doesn't work out". what does that mean? what efforts did she go to regarding the dog and cat issue? she's rich enough to bring in the dog whisperer or some other qualified animal behaviorist to work out the problems. instead, she tires of the situation and unloads the dog on someone else. i have no support for her at all.

Posted by: bosox406 | October 24, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

OL:

Miss Jane Hathaway was not out. She claimed to have the hots for Jethro. It was completely transparent, but still, she was living a lie.

Posted by: Rip | October 24, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I can't access the gay characters link at work so I'm not sure who's actually on it, but Rip is right - any list of possibly gay characters that doesn't include Snagglepuss and Velma is totally useless. Better luck next time, kids.

Posted by: Stef | October 24, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The include Linus and leave out the other two from Peanuts.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

The include Linus and leave out the other two from Peanuts.

Posted by: | October 24, 2007 11:28 AM

Um, that would be Schroeder that they included. Peppermint Patty was always a little "tough" and unfeminine, but some girls are Tom boys! Marcy was the friend.

I would have picked Bert or Ernie over Fozzy!

Posted by: WDC 21113 | October 24, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I used to find Ellen amusing because she had a somewhat detached perspective on Hollywood, but now I wonder if she's one of these celebrities who takes everything way too seriously. This dog thing is ridiculous. At worst, some kids who thought they had a pet now don't.

Robert Goulet needs a lung, for crying out loud. Where are the tears for that?

Posted by: EW | October 24, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The list is going for the least obvious. Burt & Ernie are obvious, so are Patty and Marcy, not to mention Miss Jane Hathaway. Think outside the box, people. Friday List idea, what other non-obvious charactors are gay.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Manson has moved all his stuff out and one of those staging companies has brought in temporary furnishings to give the place that "lived in" look. Just looks sad and depressing to me.

Posted by: Redddy | October 24, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

non-obvious gay characters...

Shaggy & Scooby
Fred & Barney
Marvin the Martian
Mister Krabbs
Larry, Darryl & Darryl (sure they were brothers!)

Posted by: jes | October 24, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Mary Poppins is clearly gay, as is Peter Pan. Batman and Robin are indeed "The Ambiguously Gay Duo."

And POS, Spock was clearly gay but using that Romulan for a cover. Wearing a banana clip over your eyes is considered gay as well. In fact, THE WHOLE SHOW WAS GAY.

Britney is looking more and more like a homeless woman who pushes her earthly possessions around in a shopping cart. If she is interested, I have a shopping cart I'd be willing to part with for fifty million dollars. It comes with an aluminum foil shield head cover to prevent the aliens from leeching her brain. Scientifically proven to be very effective - like banana clips over the eyes protects your eyes from UV sunlight and aliens who want to leech your eyes.

Posted by: L L L | October 24, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

That house is just more proof that Manson is a poseur. What self-respecting Satanist would have white walls & such a fashionable kitchen?

If they paid to have that place "staged" they need their money back. They need the Sell This House team! The Luscious Tanya Memme & Roger Hazard could whip that place in to shape in NO TIME!!

Posted by: Bored @ home | October 24, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

More non-obvious gay characters:

Joey from Friends
Sabrina Duncan on Charlie's Angels
Bo & Luke Duke

Posted by: still | October 24, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Goulet!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Mariah Carey has a great set of ta-tas.

Posted by: TTFN | October 24, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Joey and Chandler from Friends.
Big Bird and Snuffleupagus (sp?)
All of the Hobbits in LOTR

Posted by: petal | October 24, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Spock gay?? SPOCK???!!!! What about Scotty? Always going off to "read his technical journals." Yeh. Right.

And here's a hug for Robert Goulet:

(((((((((((((((((((GOULET)))))))))))))))))))

My husband the music professor said "I thought Robert Goulet died a few years ago," confusing his Roberts (Goulet with Preston). Anyway, it sent him off on a tangent... so... will someone PLEASE tell him to shut up with the "Trouble In River City" song already??

Posted by: Margo | October 24, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse