Posted at 8:16 AM ET, 10/11/2007

Morning Mix: Reese & Ryan -- Officially Over

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe divorce official... Paul McCartney and Heather Mills attend divorce hearing... Rosie O'Donnell exhibits paintings in New York... Bobby Brown denies having a heart attack... Britney Spears to release album two weeks earlier than planned... Spears files motion to expand visitation with children... Michelle Rodriguez gets six months in jail for failing to complete community service... Madonna set to sign $120M recording and touring contract with new label... Lohan pal DJ Samantha Ronson sues Perez Hilton for defamation... Man sues Diddy for alleged bodyguard beat down.

Rumor Mill: Linsday Lohan wants to move to Utah to be near new boyfriend, snowboarder Riley Giles; fires mom Dina as manager... Is Pam Anderson two months pregnant?... Janice Dickinson gets tummy tuck and neck lift.

Say What?
"I don't know why it seems to be of note that actors do any kind of preparation. It's just what you're supposed to do in your [bleep]ing job. Do you think that because you did some research you deserve some special credit?" -- Cranky Joaquin Phoenix before hanging up on a surprised Time Out NY reporter

"She's got a magazine, a TV empire, all these best-selling books - I'm guessing she's not hurting for money. She's hugely influential, particularly with children. And she's endorsing Dunkin' Donuts. It's like endorsing crack for kids." -- Chef/author/TV host Anthony Bourdain, upon hearing of Rachel Ray's new endorsement deal

Chat Day: I see it in the stars -- you are destined to join me today at 2 p.m. ET for a full 60 minutes of raucous celeb-focused discussion.

By Liz Kelly  | October 11, 2007; 8:16 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High Brow: Sarah Silverman -- Funny Girl?
Next: Creative Captioning: Kiss and Tell

Comments

The most disappointing thing about Rosie getting an exhibition of her paintings is that her one-woman show of 'string art' is probably going to be postponed.

Posted by: byoolin | October 11, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Ronson must prove that even if the report was erroneous, Hilton acted maliciously, Freedman said after the hearing"

This has got to be the funniest thing ever. All anyone has to do is look at his website to know that he is full of malice for people he does not like. He makes fun of children for God's sake. I like gossip like everyone else, but come on, Perez doesn't act with malice?

Posted by: Irish girl | October 11, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Leu's editor, Alison Rosen, told Page Six, "Laura was really excited to interview him, but when he hung up on her out of the blue, she was disappointed. She was supposed to speak with him for half an hour, but was only given 10 minutes."

Maybe she should have thought of some more original questions to ask Joaquin? How many times have actors gotten that, "how did you prepare for this role" question? I like how he admitted that saying he prepared for Ladder 49 by working with a fire station squad was just a bunch of BS. haha. Team Cranky Joaquin!

Posted by: Anonimis | October 11, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I think it's hilarious how much AB hates Rachel Ray. I've always found her annoying. Like $40 a Day... She's all "MMMMM OH BOY" about her $1.65 scrambled eggs in a Las Vegas strip mall diner.

Posted by: not bluto | October 11, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

RR has endorsed Nabisco Crackers, Burger King, someone else's knives, then her own knives, Dunkin Donuts, bed linens, etc. I'm glad Bourdain said something.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Janice Dickinson naked [*shudder*] must look just like shrinkwrap on a skeleton by now.

Posted by: byoolin | October 11, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I heart Anthony Bourdain.

Posted by: musicgeek | October 11, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Rodriguez "admitted violation of her probation by failing to provide proof of community service and by consuming alcohol three times while wearing an alcohol monitoring device," City Attorney spokesman Frank Mateljan said.

"She did file a document that said she completed community service on September 25th, but we obtained evidence that she was in New York that day," Mateljan said.

She's just dumb. I mean, you have photographers following you everywhere, but you try to lie to the judge about completing community service, having alcohol and where you are at when? Stupid stupid stupid.

Posted by: Athens reader | October 11, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

rachel ray...dunkin donuts...yep, that seems about right. she's a marketing mogul...she's a ny paula deen, for crying out loud. paula and her constant use of may-O-nayse is akin to rachel yammering on about "EVOO". I want to slap her every time i hear her say it. i can't stand her and it wouldn't matter what she endorsed, i'd never consider her a chef. *whew*

Posted by: methinks | October 11, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"i clicked on the janice dickinson link because i had no earthly idea who she was, and i still don't. but at least now i don't care."

She was a judge in the beginning of ANTM until her "own" show. She was also on The Surreal Life and was tough to handle (drama queen) -- I think Omarosa and Jose Conseco were on the show then, too.

Why do I know this????

Posted by: WDC 21113 | October 11, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

RR -- Yes, she is annoying to older people (like me), but the 20- and 30-somethings really like the way she cooks--quick and tasty. RR says right at the beginning of each show "I am not a chef, I am a cook". Yes, the EVOO is irritating as well as the may-o-naise, but get over it and watch what they cook. You might learn something!

Posted by: Sterling | October 11, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I too have found RR increasingly annoying. I think it's in direct relation to her ubiquity. Yummo, delish, and yes methinks definitely EVOO. Grown people just should not talk like that.

Posted by: jes | October 11, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Bourdain is hilarious- "Half of Americans don't have necks." Hehehe. It doesn't hurt that I find Rachael Ray incredibly annoying. And I'm 23.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 11, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I too find Rachel Ray rather annoying and now my favorite, Paula Deen, seems to be following in her footsteps, with her own magazine and endorsing products, even her husband has his own brand of coffee.

Posted by: jake e. poo | October 11, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

too bad the lilo moving to utah specifically contradicts the lilo firing dina story.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Janice Dickenson was a model back in the stone age. She claims she coined the phrase "supermodel" and thinks she was the first one, although I think we could successfully argue against that since no one knows who she is. I only know this because I saw her on some VH1 show about models that ran a couple years ago. Ever since she was on that show, she's been a reality show hag. Very icky and I wish she would go away.

Posted by: arlington | October 11, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm a 20- to 30-something, and RR irritates me. Everything is "yummo" or "MMMMMM!". And don't get me started on EVOO. I admit to watching the show on occasion or owning her cookbooks (husband is a fan), but it's like nails on a chalkboard. (It doesn't help that every time she talks about her husband, I think of the allegation of him paying a woman to spit on him.) And I've never been able to make one of her meals in 30 minutes.

Posted by: surlychick | October 11, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Janice Dickerson also claimed that Sylvester Stallone was the father of one of her children. To the person that had never heard of her, I would like to commend you, because I wish now that I've never heard of her.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I am a 30-something and I find Rachel Ray annoying. Her meals are never appetizing. I not a chef (Shout out to Boston Market) but even I know food presentation is just as important as taste. E.g. On Monday, RR has made worst looking French Onion Soup. I mean c'mon how you can mess up onions.

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 11, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm in my 20s and I can't stand Rachel Ray. I am not a chef either, but I can cook much better food than her.

Posted by: michael | October 11, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow there is a lot of Rachel Ray hate out there. It is funny how everyone whines about her so much and yet she still is popular enough to have her own media empire. Yes she can be annoying, but she is a good cook and really good at making simple reciepes for other people to follow. Bobby Flay on the other hand is the epitome of obnoxious, but I digress.
Anthony Bourdain is an ass. Everyone knows it. He says inflammitory things about everything and everyone. I guess that is why we like him so much. Still, how is his insulting Rachel Ray all that important?

Posted by: That Guy | October 11, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Rachel Ray can't hold a mixing spoon to Giada. mmm . . . Giada.

Posted by: OD | October 11, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Giada looks like a bobblehead. Big head big head big head!

Posted by: surlychick | October 11, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It's funny. I know exactly who Rachel Ray is. WHo the hell is Anthony Bourdain? Never heard of him and it sounds like he's using that old rule, Become famous by talking about the famous.

I found RR annoying at first. I equated that to Emeril's BAM!, which was THE WORST (and they even gave him those toothpaste commericals! Skeeves me out.) But RR is a good cook. I'd buy her cookbook, if I did that sort of thing (cook, I mean.)

Posted by: Anonimis | October 11, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I second the Giada as a bobblehead. Talking bobblehead with cleavage that makes sexy noises when it eats. And if that camera slowly pans down her neck to her cleav before it shows me the pasta she's stirring, I'm so gonna turn the channel...

Posted by: Anonimis | October 11, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, dude, AB was around WAY before RR, or the record.

Posted by: not bluto | October 11, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Obviously I meant "for the record" not "or the record" as in AB was around before the invention of the phonograph. Haha. Google AC and you'll find what he's known for: NY chef (owns the Les Halles restaurants), best selling books, and recently his travel channel show where he travels the world eating, drinking and smoking.

Posted by: not bluto | October 11, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Rachel Ray isn't a chef. It's really a rat hiding in her hair extensions.

Posted by: POS | October 11, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

lol POS...

not bluto...Anthony Bourdain may be all those things, but I bet Rachel Ray is still way more famous that he is. I guess life's not fair after all.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I stand corrected on the 20- and 30-somethings liking RR. My mistake. Anthony B was a NY chef some time ago, who now travels around the world for the TRAVEL CHANNEL. His show is really interesting. He doesn't cook--he shows how other countries cook and the different foods they enjoy. He is arrogant, but interesting most of the time. I agree with the Bobby Flay comment. I said this to a friend of mine from NJ and she said "Of course he's arrogent, he's from NY". RR and Paula Deen are being over marketed, as was Emeril. See how he fizzled out in popularity? When people get tired of the marketing, RR and PD will step back and new cooks/chefs will take their place. Oh God, I am getting so old, I lecture on the CELEBRITY site! Forgive me. I will not write again--today, that is.

Posted by: Sterling | October 11, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Boy, Rachael Ray does strike a nerve, doesn't she? Anthony Bourdain is right. She has all this influence and presents herself as a good home cook, but I never see her actually showing how to do stuff at home--not even cut up a chicken. It's all about frantic speed and processed food and marketing. And now Dunkin' Donuts? Just like Burger King, part of a balanced diet.

Posted by: JanetK | October 11, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I dislike RR as well although I don't feel like any celebrity owes anything to my child. If you don't want your kids to eat Dunkin Doughnuts, don't buy them. The person I really can't stand is Sandra Dee and her Semi Home Cooking. I wish I would have thought of the "not" cooking show that airs on the food network.

I love Paula, but I hate mayonnaise.

Posted by: Irish girl | October 11, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I have always found Rachel Ray annoying (and I'm 25) I've looked at some of her cook books but never bought one. (I tend to be more old school, Better Home and Gardens anyway? The Joy of Cooking? Remember those.) Although I do looooooove Paula Dean, but that's probably cause she's Southern and I'm Southern so there's a kinship there. Anyone who can make a bread pudding type thing out of Krispy Kreme doughnuts is ok in my book.

Posted by: Melissa | October 11, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Sandra Lee cracks me up- she always seems half-bombed. Does a show go by where she doesn't concoct some sort of alcoholic drink?

Posted by: surlychick | October 11, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I honestly tried to like RR, but I think she is like the Sarah Silverman of cooking. I like the idea of her, not the actual person. Plus her 30 min Thanksgiving dinner included serving a STORE BOUGHT pie! How is that even cooking?!? ..And she's too perky! Admit it, we all know someone who is too perky all the time and we all hate them for it.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Giada only looks like a bobblehead because they shoot the show in a small home kitchen and so the camera guy has to use a wide-angle lens to make it look more spacious. Look through the viewfinder of your digital camera while you walk toward a friend - you'll reach a point where the subject's head starts to look larger-than-life.

I met Giada at a book signing and she is drop-dead gorgeous and very sweet.

Posted by: niceFLguy | October 11, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

That quote is why I love Tony Bourdain!

Posted by: TonyLover | October 11, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Everyone has some quirk of personality that other people find annoying. I'm not defending RR (whose extreme perkiness and stupid wordplay are like fingernails on a blackboard for me), but the other "culinary stars" can be just as annoying.

Bobby Flay acts like he's god's gift to foodies, Emeril thinks everything tastes better with 12 cloves of garlic and a half bottle of his wretched seasoning, Tony Bourdain thinks he's the coolest guy in any room, Paula Deen is the poster child for unhealthy excess, and Mario Batali has begun to believe he's the rock star everyone tells him he is.

But as Sterling said, in a few years these chefs will have had their 15 minutes of fame and we will be watching a new (and equally annoying) bunch.

Posted by: MisterBear | October 11, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

lol...Sandra Dee, Sandra Lee, whatever her name is, is always sloshed. And who has time to go to the craft store every time they cook, just so they can spend longer than it took to cook the meal cutting out sailor hats that match some stupid theme? Really, her ideas are pratical and her food is rarely healthy. Good thing she's more interested in cocktail hour than her own dinner, or she'd be a fattie.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Add me to the "I love Tony Bourdain" list. He is the guy who wrote "Kitchen Confidential", the expose on what really happens in some restaurants (the recycling of uneaten food among other offenses). He couldn't be more right about America's, over-peppy cooking sweetheart. And don't get me started on that drunk-behind Sandra Lee- you're right, Surly-girl. Homegirl can't end a show w/out some kind of cocktail. Also notice how Giada NEVER eats more than 1 bite of food on her shows-I guess her intention is to keep her head and boobs extra large.

Posted by: Plamar1031 | October 11, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

The Sarah Silverman of cooking - I love it.

Posted by: h3 | October 11, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I feel like RR is always YELLING AT ME! (So perhaps I'm mistaking that for perky?)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh so many things to comment on, where to start....

Lohan - Firing your mom & moving to Utah is probably a good start. Even if you're moving to Utah for a guy you basically just met in rehab. Baby steps LiLo, baby steps.

Rosie O'Donnell - Why do I have a feeling my cat has left better "art" in his litter box?

Ronson vs. Perez Hilton - Um, yeah...has she even READ the site? It's kind of the point of his site. Or does the truth hurt?

Joaquin Phoenix - What did he do again? I was distracted by that picture of him & his harelip.

Bourdain vs. Rachel Ray - I used to enjoy her 30 Minute Meals show then she went to the cabinet for capers. Who the hell has capers in their kitchen? LOOOVE Bourdain & I'd expect no less from him.

On a Food Network note, anyone watch Andrew Zimmern & his "eating" show "Bizarre Foods?" He makes me gag at least once a show.

Posted by: Bored @ home | October 11, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised there's anything left of Janice Dickinson to surgically alter. The woman is so plastic she'd probably still be standing after a nuclear blast ... but what amazes me the most is her quote about "hanging on to what she has". Does she actually look in the mirror and think she DOESN'T look like a science fiction horror hurtling headlong into Michael Jackson territory? If she wanted to "hang on" to her beauty, she should have aged gracefully (a la Lauren Hutton).

Posted by: Californian | October 11, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Joaquin Phoenix doesn't actually have a harelip, supposedly that scar is the result of a childhood accident.

I think he's totally cool and it's kinda fun that he's grumpy with the press. He's never seemed like the kind of actor who wants to be a celebrity or seek out the media ... and kudos to him for it.

Posted by: Californian | October 11, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Joaquin Phoenix is on my list of hot, hottie hot men who aren't classically good-looking but irresistible nonetheless ... right up there with Scott Glenn, Willem Dafoe and Tom Skerritt.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Irish girl - Malice is a legal term of art that doesn't just mean hatefulness. Will spare you the legal boring stuff, but they don't just have to prove he's a chubby, cranky, A-hole, even though he is.

Posted by: SIgh | October 11, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE the Zimmern show, too!!! He and AB were funny together when they did the NY shows.

Posted by: not bluto | October 11, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

The blapheming of the holy church on Dunkin' Donuts must be stopped! I'm from the great land of Massachusetts, home of the original Dunkin' Donuts, where they build stores on either side of the street so people don't cause traffic jams on their way to work. There's nothing wrong with endorsing DD!!!

Posted by: jw | October 11, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Amen jw.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Nobodies mentioned RR's "how much sh*t can I pile up in my arms, balance, and carry the two steps to my counter" trick. And let's be honest, isn't that the most annoying? I mean, who gives a crap when she could very easily step back over to the frig or the cabinet for more things later?

i could take the yummos if RR had never had some housewife on the talk show competing against RR in a carry-off. Now, she must die.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I have no problem with Dunkin Donuts. I had the number 3 with tea this morning but my beef
with Rachel Ray is she did show about health eating. She talked about making healthy food choices, making healthy lunch and snacks for the family; then the show was followed her Dunkin Donut commercial with stuffing her chubby cheeks with a donut and coffee because her life is so fast pace.

Posted by: Potato Chip | October 11, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Sterling,
I know your recused yourself from this discussion, but Rachael Ray is not going to teach people how to cook.
She has a completely wrongheaded idea about what food should be about. I'm 30-ish, I can cook, and I often cut corners, but ee-yew, a can't stand that rabbit-faced 'tard!
Bourdain rocks. I'd like to take him home and cook him dinner.

Posted by: O.L. | October 11, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Someone commented on Liz's chat about Heather McCartney appearing in court in a wheel chair, after having been a contestant on Dancing With The Stars last year. As I recall, she has to have periodic surgery on her amputated leg, sort of like maintenance

Posted by: witchy | October 11, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say RR was a GOOD cook; just entertaining to some people. Yes, she is childish in her terms for different things, recipe names, and expressions. It drives me nuts, BUT, I have to admit, I have watched her from time to time. I need a hobby!

Posted by: Sterling | October 11, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I think RR is growing on me, inspite of EVOO. Can't stand Emeril with that accent and fake nice. I think he's a dumb idiot who got lucky. And his spices are not at all tasty.
I have no idea who Bourdin is, and don't care to know. I have little time to cook, and RR gives quick flavorful recipes. I also like that she gives details about the products she uses. Sometimes those are as important as the actual ingredients. Who cares if she's getting rich in the mix. She deserves to.

Posted by: pink | October 12, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse