Posted at 8:02 AM ET, 10/22/2007

Morning Mix: Spears Regains Visitation Rights

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Britney Spears regains child visitation rights... Jerry Seinfeld credits Scientology for jumpstarting his career... J.K. Rowling outs "Potter's" Dumbledore... Naomi Watts to star in remake of "The Birds"... K-Fed-ex Shar Jackson wins "Celebrity Rap Superstar" crown... Magician David Copperfield accused of rape... Michael Douglas's son to stand trial on cocaine charges... Kid Rock arrested after Waffle House melee... Bill Maher boots protester from audience... Soap star Hunter Tylo's son dies in accidental drowning.

Rumor Mill: Redskins owner Dan Snyder no longer backing Tom Cruise?... Ellen DeGeneres may be a chronic dog re-gifter... Investigator says O.J. Simpson bugged Nicole Brown Simpson's house.

Bonus: Inside Val Kilmer's tree house.

Say What?
"I think Justin Timberlake is a talented performer. But he's very ordinary-looking. He could be any skinny white kid from the suburbs of Orlando. You could go to the mall and find another Justin. He doesn't make his style interesting even when he's onstage. To me, he just doesn't look like a star." -- Producer (and Janet Jackson champion) Jermaine Dupri

By Liz Kelly  | October 22, 2007; 8:02 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Follies: Waste a Day the Celebritology Way
Next: Comment Box: We (Heart) Ryan Gosling

Comments

Ok, where have I been. There was a show called Celebrity Rap Star?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I think JK Rowling was thinking she'd really stick it to all the fundamentalists who try to ban her book. "Oh you're worried about the children learning witchcraft from the wizards in my books? Well now they're learning witchcraft from GAY wizards! Wuhahahaha! Civilization will be over shortly."

At least, that's what I would do. I hope she's been practicing her maniacal laughter.

Posted by: Em | October 22, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd be agreeing with Jermaine Dupree on anything, but finally someone was spoken what I've been thinking for years. JT = Not Hot.

Posted by: Juicy | October 22, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Jermaine Dupri speaketh the truth. Justin becomes more ordinary with time and his performances are mediocre. He closed out the MTV Awards with as lackluster a performance as Brit opened them. BOO Justin BOO!

Posted by: Anonimis | October 22, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Justin already admitted to doing cocaine. He's always high and I couldn't believe him up on his high horse when he talks about saving Britney with a come-back. C'mon. You're on your way out too, buddy, and I doubt people will watch your come-back with as much interest as they will be watching Brit's.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Jermaine Dupri should only wish HE was 'average looking'. That would be a step up for him. So I'm not sure he has room to say much on that topic.

Posted by: LK | October 22, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

His description of Justin also applies equally to his girlfriend Janet Jackson who can't sing and has little stage presence. Her career is owed to great marketing team and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis producing skills.

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 22, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

LK, maybe that's why Jermaine Dupree become a producer.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Whatever. JT is way hot, and I'm not a teenager even though I just sounded like one. His HBO special was huge, and packed a room of me and my other late-20s friends, male and female. His CD was really good. I saw his concert here in February and it was great. What's Dupri done for me lately? Sounds a little like jealousy...

Posted by: Sigh | October 22, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I think if we relied on Justin to bring sexy back it would get stuck in traffic. You know who is sexy Justin? Colin Firth! Nuff said, now my Monday is complete with a Firth Fantasy.

Posted by: Melissa | October 22, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Part of me wonders if JK Rowling got some criticism somewhere for a lack of gay characterization in the HP series and retroactively added in this element about Dumbledore, but in the main it really doesn't matter. It's not as if being gay was driving Dumbledore's character to any real significance in the story. I think the funnier inference is DD's brother having a certain affection towards goats.

Posted by: 23112 | October 22, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

anybody else think jayden james looks terrified in that photo?

Posted by: b | October 22, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Brit's attempts to get rid of her kids keeps getting thwarted. So now she gets visitation again? hmmm.

Whenever I think of Scientologists, I think of Tom Cruise and crazy but not Jerry Seinfeld. This one's a shock.

Posted by: petal | October 22, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

b, I agree with you about Jayden James. In fact, I think he usually looks terrified when he's with his mother. I know I would be!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Forget about the scared kid, did anyone else notice Brit's mustache?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I think if Brit doesn't show up to the Oct. 30 hearing that will say everything.

Posted by: MGC | October 22, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"Shar Jackson wins "Celebrity Rap Superstar" crown..."

Wow. That's nearly as prestigious as winning Third Prize in an butt-kicking contest. Must have been a slow celebrity news weekend.

Posted by: niceFLguy | October 22, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Kid Rock: the epitome of class.

Jermaine Dupri: while I agree with your statement, it was unneccessary and a tad harsh, especially coming from someone who kind of looks like a Muppet

Posted by: ASinMoCo | October 22, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Who's that ugly girl w/Val Kilmer?

Oh cripes, more Ellen dog stories, can't we just leave that one be for a while?! It's not like she's not roasting them over a pit in a Satanic ritual.

I think Jermaine Dupri should just shut up, keep thanking the gods that he even gets to look @ Janet Jackson up close & personal on a daily basis & stop criticizing people who aren't as troll-like as he is.

Posted by: Bored @ home | October 22, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Kid Rock arrested after Waffle House melee..."

I guess his next wife-to-be had other plans for her life.

P.S. Is Kid Rock the offspring of Punk Rock and Pet Rock?

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | October 22, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Re: Ellen's dog issues: "It's not like she's not roasting them over a pit in a Satanic ritual."

Then she'd have PETA and the Catholic Church on her case. On the other hand, if she used the right sauce it could get her a show on the Food Network.

Posted by: MisterBear | October 22, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

She'd have to serve a really assertive wine with pit-roasted dog, maybe a Gerwertztraminer. And then there's the side dishes to consider, of course.

Posted by: Helena Handbasket | October 22, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

i disagree, 23112, dumbledore being gay explains the major blind spot he had toward the evil wizard whose name escapes me (grindlewald?).
my question for rowling is, how can you leave out an important detail like that, which certainly would have explained & advanced the story? i understand why she would offer that info to the movie's director (if he was gay, it would be silly to allude to a past heterosexual romance) but why didn't she offer that info to her readers within the confines of the book?
at that point, nothing would have stopped the extraordinary success of the HP franchise so surely she couldn't have been concerned that there would be a loss of revenue from 'outing' dumbledore. having read and cared about these characters, i feel cheated and question her motivation.
yes, i know it's a book but people care about characters in books all the time. for the record, i've never seen any of the HP movies, though i hear they're pretty good.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Do you know how much JKR had to leave out of the back stories of the characters because of size. That's why she gives us information from time to time.

And Dumbledore want's to believe the good in the people he knows, it is his greatest weakness.

Posted by: MGC | October 22, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

If JK had a gay story-line in any of those books, trust me, they would not have sold nearly as many copies.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Is it me or does the whole Dumbledore being gays thing feel kind of tacked on? I read all of the books and I never once thought of anything to do with Dumbledore's sexuality. This whole thing seems kind of random. Maybe there was something in there (i.e. the Grindlewald thing), but I didn't even think of that then.

Posted by: VAtoLA | October 22, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Val Kilmer was hot? Now he looks like my uncles, cutish but bloated with the dreaded large belly and teeny-tiny legs combo. As we ask in the ex cap family, what are those strings hanging out of your shorts? oh...they're your legs!

Posted by: ex cap | October 22, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Someone asked if Dumbledore had a great love and the answer was that he was gay and the person he loved was Grindalwald.

She may have never said something until asked or the hoped for encylopedia came out. I doubt it was tacked on, she has pages and pages of background on many of many of her characters.

The only thing that really annoys me about the whole thing is that people are saying it's not true. Standard Harry Potter rule people, if JK says it's cannon, it's cannon!

Posted by: MGC | October 22, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This ping-ponging of "yes she has visitiation, no she doesn't" cannot be in the children's best interest. How about leaving one decision in place for a bit? If the children are in such danger that she had to lose even supervised visitation surely the situation did not correct itself that quickly?

Posted by: ep | October 22, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think it actually weakens his mercy for Grindelwald that there was romantic/sexual love involved. He showed a heck of a lot of mercy to Tom Riddle, too - does that mean that the one canonically gay character lets his emotions get the better of him and also fancies little sociopathic kiddies?

Posted by: MB | October 22, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I read the reason she lost visitation was because she refused to cooperate w/the court appointed monitor so suspending supervised visits would really be just a formality since she couldn't see them w/out the monitor anyway.

Now if that was the monitor in the car, how impressed is she w/Brit carting the kids off to Starbucks so she could get a fix?

Posted by: to ep | October 22, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

no, i don't know how much back story jkr left out re: her characters, but i do know that the whole dumbledore/grindelwald relationship was something that could have explained a lot, as well as advanced the story. i think it was a mistake to leave it out of the books and i feel as others have said, it seems 'tacked on'. i question her motivation.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember thursday people, when Brit Brit ran over a paps foot? She was leaving a medical center. Do you know what they do in medical centers? They do drug tests. I am guessing, she lost visitation because she hadn't been tested, she went to get tested, it came back negative...sis boom bah! Her visitation rights were reinstated. Come on, gotta keep up with these things, I thought we were better than this.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Its Voldemort, not Grinelwald

Posted by: jlrs | October 22, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

ummm? isn't Val Kilmer's rustic "tree mansion" more like a tree-room? And I love the line from the article, the treehouse is "tucked away from the prying eyes of the paparazzi". as if the paps are chasing down the not so hot Val Kilmer. equally funny line- he commissioned the artist-dude w/ the long braids to build the treehouse- that thing looks like something my not-so-handy husband could competently put together over the weekend.

Posted by: plamar1031 | October 22, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh for Pete's sake. JK Rowling could say that Harry Potter doesn't exist but is really Hermione's male other half of a dual bisexual being and the hordes would start combing all references to "Harry" and "he" in seven books to find hidden meanings. I think JK is playing with everyone. And everyone's falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Suckers all. The books are DONE, people, OK? Now go outside and play in the fresh air and sunshine.

And I've always thought Justin Timberlake was a little boy playing dress up, so I'm glad it's not just me. "Look, Mommy, I can grow a BEARD! I can say dirty words for my privates!" Puh-leeze. Come back when you've finished puberty and find charisma, pal. Until then, leave music to the adults.

Posted by: td | October 22, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"I think Justin Timberlake is a talented performer. But he's very ordinary-looking. He could be any skinny white kid from the suburbs of Orlando." Which sounds like a description of Michael Jackson as well.

Posted by: colorado kool aid | October 22, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

"Its Voldemort, not Grinelwald"

as there have been book 7 spoilers throughout this discussion I don't feel bad about this.

Voldy was Harry's nemisis,

Grindelwald was the evil wizard that Dumbledore defeated - he also had been Albus's best friend and unrequited love

Posted by: MGC | October 22, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Jerry Seinfeld seriously considered Scientology at one point? I can't believe it. What is it about show business that makes people go insane? As far as I'm concerned, this is Jerry's "Michael Richards" moment--not in that he was vocally racist, but that he vocally expressed insanity. Thank goodness it didn't stick. If he wants a preposterous "religion," The Flying Spaghetti Monster is always an option.

Posted by: L L L | October 23, 2007 1:30 AM | Report abuse