Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 10/24/2007

Trouble in the Kidman-Urban Paradise?

By Liz Kelly

(Reuters)

When asked about her level of marital bliss, Nicole Kidman recently told Interview magazine that marriage is "beautiful and complicated" and that you "never know where something's going."

Some would take this as refreshingly honest. Here in Celebritology 101, though, where we are fluent in celeb speak, Kidman's words took our interest in this still young union to DefCon 1. Could Kidman be telegraphing an unstated message? Is there trouble in what has been, until now, a rocky first year of marriage?

To recap: Kidman married country singer, and fellow Aussie, Keith Urban in June 2006. Four short months later Urban checked into rehab for treatment of alcohol abuse. After three months in recovery, Urban emerged in January to announce plans for a world tour, which continues through mid-December. Kidman, in the meantime, has continued to work at a frenzied level, with three movies hitting theaters in 2007 and three more slated for 2008.

The two have variously been reported snatching moments of domesticity in Nashville and Australia over the past year, but can't have had too much time together.

In Interview, Kidman went on to say, "My husband and I are committed to each other and deeply in love. That's how I would put it. We're working on staying in that place, and hopefully we will for the rest of our lives."

So, you tell me...

By Liz Kelly  | October 24, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Reese and Jake Take Romantic Rome Vacation
Next: Morning Mix: Brit and K-Fed Meet for Parenting Class

Comments

I have a hard time seeing how any marriage where two world-famous celebrity performers are together (and still working) can really succeed. I know it happens, but I cannot imagine how hard it must be.

Posted by: 23112 | October 24, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"...Liz has to go get her triceps tatted in a quite unforgettable design. I have seen the sketch, and my jaw dropped. We will all see the results next week."
Is this why y'all abandoned us yesterday? Did something go horrifically wrong?

Posted by: Show us | October 24, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Cathy Ladman, the comedian, who is allegedly happily married said my favorite thing about marriage.
"Marriage is like a 5,000 piece jigsaw puzzle, all sky."

Posted by: o.l. | October 24, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Nicole's comments may be realistic, but reality doesn't seem to work out well in celebrity marriages.

Posted by: Cubeland, MD | October 24, 2007 11:01 AM | Report abuse

i've been married for 28 years this saturday to a guy i'd known 3 months prior to saying 'i do'. nicole's comments could have been mine at any stage of my marriage. i think they're probably okay.
and i LOVE that cathy ladman quote. i'm stealing it for my facebook page!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

didn't nicole say in a previous interview that she wasn't interested in dating, she just got married?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I knew a couple who lived together for 20 years before they decided to get married, three months later they killed each other in front of their house. Who knows what makes a marriage work or not work. Maybe separation works for the Kidman-Urbans. Just like making your wife follow your psuedo alien religion works for the Holmes-Cruises.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I don't get the marriage is like a million puzzle pieces quote. Someone please explain.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

For a non-celebrity, Nicole's comments would be realistic and honest for two people with demanding careers, but for a celebrity the comments are the first signs of trouble in the marriage. I give Keith and Nicole 4 more months before taking the train to splitsville.

Posted by: Lisa1 | October 24, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

a big puzzle that's all sky takes forever to complete. it's a challenge every day.

hell, i dunno. i'm divorced.

Posted by: b | October 24, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

to 11:13 AM

ummm, it's hard...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

wow, I wouldn't agree that it's every day. sure, there are moments like that. but it sounds like too much work to me.

Posted by: SSMD | October 24, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I think it was a big deal in their prenup that keith would get nothing if he went back to drugs and drinking, so since only a few months later he was in rehab i expected her to split right away. I hope he's actually better, but being on tour doesn't seem to do good things for one's sobriety. Does she ever see her kids?

Posted by: prenup void? | October 24, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

sure it's everyday, ssmd, you're married everyday.
i don't think that means it's bust-a-gut hard everyday but there are compromises and little things that happen where you have to say, 'okay..how important is it for me to have my way on THIS?'

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Kidman and Urban are a celeb couple and as it has been stated before her statement doesn't bode well for that union.

Posted by: petal | October 24, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

"I knew a couple who lived together for 20 years before they decided to get married, three months later they killed each other in front of their house."

If only she hadn't served him chicken a la king every Tuesday night and he had handed over the TV remote when she asked him for it.

Posted by: niceFLguy | October 24, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If you notice, the celeb couples that do seem to make it work or the ones where one partner has chosen to put their career on hold or work less or when one spouse is working, the other one isn't. Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson, Steven Spielberg & Kate Capshaw, Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman, Kevin Bacon & Kyra Sedgewick. These are all long term celeb marriages and they've somehow managed to make it work.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous at 12:09 PM might be on to something. I mean, I'm a celebrity and Mrs. Byoolin stays home in the kitchen, and we've been married for roughly 20 years. It doesn't hurt that we have an open marriage and I like small boys.

Posted by: byoolin | October 24, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

hey, if it works for you. Who knows what goes on behind the celebrity doors. Leather masks and whips? Kiddie sized pool of jello?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait...I thought Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick were both working pretty steadily. She has "The Closer" and he's had various movie projects, right? (not to mention maintaining the awesomeness that is the 8-degrees-of-Bacon game.)

Posted by: Melissa | October 24, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

8 degrees of separation is the Candyland version. Real adults play 6 degrees of separation.

Posted by: Baconville | October 24, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Sounds just like the things Brad Pitt said right before his split.

Posted by: Sigh | October 24, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I thought it sounded more like Reese and Ryan. Come to think of it, exactly like Reese and Ryan. And I imagined they had a chance, since they seemed relatively grounded. I think 4 months is being generous.

Me, I'm at 28 years plus. My mom used to say "You never know what's going on between two people," to which I've added "sometimes even when you're one of them."

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Wait. Kate Capshaw had/had a career?

Posted by: b'more | October 24, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Nicole is a beautiful, talented woman. But she was married to Tom Cruise for years and that makes anything she says regarding the opposite sex highly suspect....in my opinion.

Posted by: POS | October 24, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

She wants a baby desperately.

Posted by: Secret Agent | October 24, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Can Nicole even have children? She adopted with Tom and Tom's proven he can procreate (get. image. outta. head.)She's been pretty up front about a lot of things, but I don't think I've heard any thing about fertility issues (though I don't really read anything celebrity related beyond Celebritology)

Posted by: Anonymous | October 24, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Hi Liz. I shot you an e-mail a few days ago, but never got a response. Should I assume you're super busy and deliberately ignoring it? Or should I assume you never got the original and re-send? I don't want to pester you with messages, but I figured it was worth following up.

Posted by: TPark | October 24, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I think "marriage is like a million puzzle pieces" means that relationships are complex, complicated.

Nicole might be reacting to the recent breakup of her sister Antonia's marriage. Antonia had just given birth to her fourth child when her husband left her, I think for another woman. It must have been quite a shock.

Nicole also mentioned magazine interviews--I think she was referring to a Vogue cover story she did right after her wedding. The interview was all about the joy of being a newlywed, but unfortunately the magazine came out just a couple of days after Keith entered rehab, so it was out-of-date by the time it was published.

My take on the latest interview is that she's trying to say in a nice way that she's not going to discuss her marriage with the press except in the most general terms possible ("we're committed," "we're in love.") Contrast this with Brangelina, who publicly talk about their sex life, their feelings for one another, they even described their bed (custom size) and how they share it with the kids, etc. Now that's talking about your relationship!

Posted by: Nicole fan | October 25, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse