Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 11/19/2007

Choose Your Own 'Lost' Adventure

By Jen Chaney

From the Desk of Jen Chaney

Regular members of the "Lost" Book Club are undoubtedly immersed in our November selection, "A Brief History of Time." And they are probably thinking, "Liz, Jen, what are you trying to do to us? This is a book about science. And the speed of light. And the theory of relativity. It hurts our brains. And none of it explains how polar bears could end up on a tropical island, or whether 'Lost' will even come back if the writers' strike continues. I could choose something better than this for the 'Lost' Book Club."

To which Liz and I say: Oh, YEAH?

Um, that's cool. Go ahead. Seriously.

As a holiday season gift to all of you loyal "Losties," December's book will be readers' choice. From now until Wednesday, Nov. 21, please post any and all suggestions for the next selection in the comments section of this here blog post. Liz and I will select five from the list, then publish a poll on Monday, Nov. 26 that allows readers to vote for their favorite. The winner will be announced during our mind-busting discussion of "A Brief History of Time" on Wednesday, Nov. 28 at noon.

Before you start nominating any crazy 'ol thing, please remember the rules. The book must be referenced in an episode of "Lost," or relevant to the "Lost" universe. (For example, "Watchmen" -- our September selection -- was never mentioned on the show, but has been cited by co-creator Damon Lindelof as a crucial, inspirational work.) If you need some ideas, this handy Lostpedia page may be helpful.

Now make like Oprah and choose a great read.

By Jen Chaney  | November 19, 2007; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Headlines: Jonathan Rhys Myers Arrested for Public Drunkenness
Next: Morning Mix: Mary-Kate Olsen Hospitalized

Comments

You've gotta encourage em to read 'Left Behind'... why? because the Washington Post encouraging people to read that one is surely right up there with plague of frogs - and i'd love to watch the editorial board's collective heads explode

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | November 19, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

1) Third Policeman - by Flann O'Brien (the producers have even said it provides "ammunition" to examine Lost plotline)

2) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (just because I love that book anyways and would like to read it again and see what connections there are)

Posted by: 2 book suggestions | November 19, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I already e-mailed these suggestions to the Celebritology address, but here they are again:

Through the Looking Glass (or, in the alternative, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)

Slaughterhouse Five (Is Desmond "unstuck in time"?, etc.)

Catch-22 (non-linear narrative, twisted logic, Portuguese version found among the belongings of last season's ill-fated helicopter crewmember)

Anything by Gene Weingarten (he could use the sales)

Posted by: Doc | November 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

"Holida" should be "holiday," no?

Posted by: Grammar police | November 19, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret" by Judy Blume.

I think Sawyer was reading it one episode, and it may be helpful to explore all the unresolved childhood issues everyone on the island (Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, Locke, Benry) seems to have. Plus, I don't think there's any physics it it.

Posted by: Troy | November 19, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Carrie" is my obvious choice since the Others book club was reading it when the plane crashed.

Plus Benry hated that choice & in some weird way it would make me happy to know we're doing something that makes him angry.

And though I'm embarassed to admit this, I'm just starting Watership Down so I know there's no way in hell I'll ever read that Hawking book. I listened to the audio book ages ago & I think I lost a few brain cells trying to figure out what the hell he was talking about.

Posted by: Bored @ home | November 19, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh,wait,what?: "Lost" had writers?

I nominate "Robinson Crusoe", only because I'm currently reading it.

Posted by: omni | November 19, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

was the audio book for "a brief history of Time" in steven hawkings computer voice? Because while I'm reading it thats how it comes across in my brain.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

what's the book that desmond is saving to be the last book he reads before he dies? I think it was a dickins book.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I believe Desmond's book was "Our Mutual Friend," but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Liz | November 19, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Liz is correct: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Mutual_Friend#Trivia

Third trivia bullet

Posted by: omni | November 19, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I am way too deep into gravitons, positrons and red, blue, green quarks to have any residual brain power to think of another book to read. If I make it through "ABHOT" I'm gonna feel like the Scarecrow from Oz!

Posted by: Not Shlomo | November 19, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

"Our Mutual Friend" by Charles Dickins

I think Desmond was reading both books.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Here is my edited post from 3:45

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy OR

"Our Mutual Friend" by Charles Dickins

I think Desmond was reading both books.

Also, I wonder if "Lost" will be one of the casualties of the writer's strike- this strike could go on well into the spring 2008 schedule. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will have been negotiated by then.

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 19, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest the obvious: Lewis Carroll's "Through the Looking-Glass." Too easy? Okay, throw in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," too. We could use a break after slogging through Hawkins!

Posted by: Mad Hatter | November 19, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

The Road came out in September 2006. If Sawyer was reading that on the island, we really have a mystery on our hands. Is it possible he was reading another book?

Posted by: Cormac McCarthy | November 19, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Sole Survivor -Dean Koontz

Strangely similar to Lost plot. Plane wreck, why did some survive? children controlling space/time with their minds. and sopoky

Posted by: DK | November 19, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

100 People Who Are Screwing Up America (And Al Franken Is #37)

-Bernard Goldberg

but only so Gene will go into catalepsy

Posted by: not Bernard | November 19, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

RE: The Writer's Strike.

Yes, LOST will be affected by the strike. They are currently wrapping up filming of the 8th episode of this next season, and with no writers will most likely be ending the season there. I guess they write on the fly while filming each episode, which leaves a lot of questions to be answered like, what exactly does a writer do if the story, plot and character development is already established? Are we seriously talking about an individual who takes an idea for dialogue from paper, and puts it on different piece of paper?!?!?!

anyways, your friends at ABC were originally going to release these "webisodes" for VCAST users only, but decided to make them available on the internet to everyone because of the strike. enjoy, better than nothing and it might make the lapse go by quicker. something about a hole in the space time continuum... http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/missingpieces/index

Posted by: J-Mart | November 19, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Cormac- actually I got that suggestion from ABC's Lost site- they have a listing of the character's fave books. It may not have actually been in one of the eps but the theme of the story- survival in a post-apocalyptic world- seems akin to the life the Losties (and Others, etc.)

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 19, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I definitely think something lighter is in order, so I agree with the nomination of the Judy Blume book, or a good mystery like Agatha Cristie "Evil Under the Sun", or Stuart Woods "Dirty Work"

And not that I want to re-visit my entire High School reading list by nominating Lord of the Flies... so maybe we can watch the movie version instead.

Posted by: DC | November 19, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Another option is to actually read things others have written about Lost. There is the Smart Pop series of books where they compile essays people have wrote about a particular series. The Lost one is titled "Getting Lost: Survival, Baggage and Starting Over in JJ Abrams' Lost." I've read the Veronica Mars compilation called "Neptune Noir" and they can be kind of fun. Admittedly, it may be difficult to discuss a collection of essays, but I find it intriguing to see what others' theories are about Lost.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Here are my nominations and why I'm nominating them:

1) "Of Mice And Men" (from "Everyman For Himself")- I've always wanted to read it and one of my favorite exchanges in "Lost" is between Sawyer and Ben. After Ben shows Sawyer the main island he quotes from this book and sneers back at Sawyer, "Don't you read."

2) "A Wrinkle In Time" (from Deus Ex Machina") - I've been wanting to reread it for some time; especially so after the author's recent death. Plus it would make a nice transition from Hawking - not to mention the fact it's sitting by my bed ready to be read!

3) "Catch-22" (from the episode with the same title) - even though I'm going through a big "I don't like Desmond kick," it's still a book I've wanted to read - imagine that!

It really is hard just picking three from the list of books mentioned in the series on lostpedia.com. My honorable mentions would be "The Fountainhead," "The Island" and "The Alice Books - Wonderland and Looking Glass." If the writer's strike continues at least we know we've got plenty of books to keep us occupied during the hiatus.

See you next week if my head doesn't collapse from trying to understand bleeping black holes - But bravo Jen for having us read something hard!

Posted by: dre7861 | November 19, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, I third the Of Mice and Men wish. I think that would be a great choice. All about creating and working towards a dream: the life each character hoped they would be living. Only for many to see it crumble due to a series of misunderstood and misinterpreted circumstances. And there is a scene with a rabbit that relates to the Sawyer/Ben confrontation dealing with the white bunny. To modernize the Robert Burns verse that Steinbeck used for the title: "The best laid plans of mice and men/ go oft awry." I think this book could lead to a fascinating discussion.

Posted by: Please, let's read Mice | November 19, 2007 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Definitely Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. This is one of my favorite books and it is referenced so many times on the show.

Posted by: Julia | November 20, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Someone said Carrie already

Or even Our Mutual friend by Dickens....

I want to veto The Third Policeman..read it a few months ago and found it a bit..odd...but I guess it would be a good choice since I wouldn't have to reread it..

Posted by: PC | November 20, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I noticed Sawyer reading something by Walker Percy at some point during Season 1 or 2. It was either "Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book" or "Love in the Ruins" (I scrolled through the footage multiple times but couldn't read the title properly.) I've ordered "Lost in the Cosmos" from amazon (couldn't resist), but that's just me -- maybe "Love in the Ruins" would be more appropriate for the book club.

Posted by: Dreamer | November 21, 2007 5:41 AM | Report abuse