Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 11/ 5/2007

Comment Box: A New Brangelina Baby?

By Liz Kelly

IMDB reported yesterday that Angelina Jolie is expecting another child. Is the world ready for this? Do you think they'll escape to Africa again? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Reports that Angie and Brad may have another genetically-gifted kid on the way rekindled last week after Jolie canceled a planned lecture at an academic conference titled "The Flight of the Hummingbird -- The Future of Children in the Mind and Society of the World." Camp Brangelina is, understandably, not addressing the rumors. However, one Letizia Manjani, a spokesperson for the center where Jolie was scheduled to speak -- who would doubtless be privy to Brangelina's family planning and the chosen vessel to carry their news to the world -- did have this to say:

"Angelina canceled last week. Due to her privacy I can't confirm her pregnancy, but I can say that the Italian newspapers are correct in their reports."

Eh, grazie Letizia! (Actually, I was unable to find any Web references to Manjani prior to this Jolie story and she's not named on the center's official Web page, though apparently Mikhail Gorbachev and Gary Hart are somehow involved with this place, which is located near Italy's Adriatic coast and offers the kind of view best witnessed firsthand by Celebritologists.)

This latest baby rumor comes after last month's speculation that the actress was sporting a discernable baby bump in these photos (though that seems to be to be tantamount to likening Ballston Commons to the Mall of America).

Is the world ready for this? I'm okay with it. Is Jennifer Aniston? Dunno. Do I think they'll escape to Africa again? Namibia can only hope. And for anyone out there counting -- if preg, this would bring the Brangie brood up to five kids, enough for a respectable band of family singers or an improv troupe.

I have to say I really hate the Creative Captioning posts, the pictures aren't that original. Liz you usually give fun posts, but this every week? thats a bit much I already put up with the Friday List and the "Lost" stuff. But now we're down to two days of new info. -- Anonymous commenter on Thursday's Creative Captioning post

Though this was the only comment expressing a dislike for last week's captioning post, it isn't the first time this feature's interest (or lack thereof) has been debated. So, in the spirit of election week, I'd like to open the polls for a special referendum:

Moving on...

Creative Captioning: Boo Hiss?
Okay, so maybe Heidi Klum's feline fixation wasn't the most inspiring photo we've worked with, but hey, this entry from POS seemed to sum up last week's Halloween theme pretty well (for the top five, click here):

So that's what happened to the front of Britney's costume.*

(*Please see Britney's costume.)

Comment of the Week (Hot off the presses, from this morning's Mix):
If a celebrity named his/her daughter Happily, then the children of Milla Jovovich, Gwyneth Paltrow, and that person could play together in the "Happily Ever Apple" play hour. -- L L L

By Liz Kelly  | November 5, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Katie Holmes Finishes NYC Marathon
Next: Morning Mix: Rosie Returning to TV?

Comments

I can't get to the poll (blocked by work security), but I would vote against the captioning thing, and the list thing most times.

The lost thing is ok, though I don't watch it anymore - I am looking forwar to reading what everyone thinks of the Hawking book!

I will also point out that I have begged and begged for a link to the photos posted on this blog since for whatever reason, they won't load and all I see is a big white space. Maybe if I could see the photo, the captioning thing would be funny...the photos on everyother page of the Post do load without trouble.

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 5, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

oops that is to say, "I am looking forward.." I am NOT looking for war in any way, shape or form...

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 5, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

how can the comment of the week be from today? It's not even noon yet, at least not where I am.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

i like the lists, and the captioning contest!

Posted by: b, who also can't get to the poll... | November 5, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

That's not a baby bump in those pictures of Angelina. That's just what a woman is supposed to look like! There's not supposed to be a dent! There's supposed to be a tummy! Is she pregnant? Is she not? Dunno. Those pictures prove NOTHING either way!

Posted by: talley Lach | November 5, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

re: Angie's baby bump. I'm skeptical. Maybe she ate a cupcake (or an ice cream cone). Maybe she was bloated. Maybe she had gas.
You know what always mystifies me? Why she appears to always be dressed as if she just came from her high-powered, professional job. She's an actress, for pete's sake. Not a lawyer.
This is just one more example, to me, of a bit of a delusional image being crafted by Angie. Maybe she wants that life of the professional, polished mom, but if her days simply consist of taking the kids to the park and reading some scripts, why the expensive suits? Does she think that her clothing will garner her more respect?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

When I see that there is some kind of list or captioning contest, I just stop reading and skip the whole thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

ugh, i really dislike that term 'baby bump'.

in other developments -- what does it say when the world's leading supermodel dumps the dollar and demands that all future contracts be paid in euros.

jeez, even in celebrityworld you can't evade real world intrusions forever..

Posted by: linda | November 5, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I like the lists and captioning! I think it sets it apart as a more active blog than most. Do I read every list or caption submitted? no. but I like contributing and reading some of them.

Posted by: sjcpeach | November 5, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Creative Captioning would be funny but the picture itself is never funny and the captions are even less funny. Sometimes, if I want to just get annoyed and disgusted with the world, I'll read people's captions and I actually groan out loud. Seriously.

Posted by: KG | November 5, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Those "bump" photos and the canceled speaking engagement are pretty shoddy evidence to base a pregnancy claim. On a side note - I love Angelina. I (and my two sisters) have MAJOR girl crushes on her. That said, she, more than any other celebrity face, really can vary from amazingly beautiful to creepy and alien-esque. Most of the pictures in the above article show her in a good light - hair down to soften her features, etc. But when she pulls it all back and doesn't hide behind the glasses - man, that can be one scary face. She is such a caricature of "attractive" feminine features (big eyes, thick lips, long limbs, strong cheek and jaw bones) that all together they can be overwhelming to look at. I think a side by side comparison of "hot" Angie pictures versus the "scary" Angie pictures would be a lot of fun to peruse.

Posted by: Omaha | November 5, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it would be fun contrasting the pretty Angie pics with the scary Angie pics. Especially some of the Angie pics from a few years ago before the divorce from Billy Bob. Talk about scary Angie...

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

That's a baby bump? Wait til I tell my friend, Cyndi, she's had a "baby bump" ever since she had her last kid 7 years ago.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna have to whine like I whine about the Style Invitational.... The winners aren't funny!!! Some of the earlier caption contests had funny winners, but lately it doesn't seen like funny wins. There were much better entries in the Klum contest, captions that were funny even though the pictures isn't.

And no, I didn't enter the contest, so no conflict of interest...

Also, I don't read the lists because I don't watch TV.

Will I be kicked off of the blog for saying that?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I read & participate in the lists until they get to over a 100 responses, then I skip them.

Captioning is done on almost every message board I belong to so it's not my fave thing.

Posted by: Bored @ work | November 5, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

ummm...can't say i love or hate the captions but i'd prefer not to see a whole post devoted to it. i think ever 2 weeks or so would be a nice compromise.

and yeah, i have to agree with the whole "Lost" postings. now those are the posts that i HATE. who really watches this freakin show anymore? it's weird and it's not going anywhere so skip those posts and tell me more about crazy Hollywood starlets!

Posted by: around | November 5, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, you're complaining because Angelina choose to dress professionally instead of like a slob. Just because she is an actress doesn't mean she needs to wear fishnets with holes and miniskirts all the time. Thank god there is at least one woman out there who knows how to dress for sucess -- in any job.

Posted by: ep | November 5, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I tend to think Lost should have its own blog. It doesn't have to be a daily thing and can only be updated after each episode - kind of like Lisa deMoraes's "We Watch So You Don't Have To" for American Idol. That way, people who aren't Lost fans won't be disgruntled on Wednesdays (I used to like the show until I realized that the creators let their success go to their heads. Then I just started feeling like every episode was them shouting "look how clever we are! we can put a bunch of poop on the TV screen and people will eat it up!" now I just don't care).

As for the captioning, I agree that sometimes a picture just screams "caption me PLEASE" but when it appears every week it seems like the bottom of the barrel is being scraped for subject matter. That combined with the fact that the funny captions never win (no offense to you, Liz)and the exact same captions appear over and over make creative captioning "meh" for me.

Posted by: Magnolia | November 5, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Angie looks great. If she wants to breed with a sex god like Brad, who can blame her? She should go for it.
And as for now, I love captioning. I decided to just enjoy posting and forget about winning, so go figure! Maybe it's karma.

Posted by: POS | November 5, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Can I echo the hatred of the term "baby bump"? I just find it offensive and unpleasant.

Posted by: Amy | November 5, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If you continue with creative captioning you should use the picture posted today of Katie, Tom and Suri at the NYC Marathon; Tom looks very, very strange....

Posted by: Sam | November 5, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Lost sux, the captions are more frequently lame than funny (you had to have seen another picture of someone else entirely for the winning caption to begin to make sense) witness the 2-5 runnerups and the list thing just loses me completely because, who cares?

Posted by: Stick | November 5, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Brangelina has to give birth to the next baby, because they really like matched sets. If her next child is a boy, she'll adopt an African girl. If it's a girl, she'll adopt an African boy. Mark my words. Thusly, I wouldn't be surprised if she is pregnant.

Posted by: atb | November 5, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy "showing off my razor sharp wit" but that's why I have (a) a blog, (b) a wife, and (c) a teenager.

It should be noted that my alleged RZW is a little bit hit-and-miss with each of those audiences.

The contests work best when the picture has a little something weird going on - like Debbie Harry's dress, or that pick of QT & AW, or Heidi. If it's just a picture of someone standing around, that's not so much to work with.

Then I have to wait for someone to jab me with the adrenaline spike.

I have never watched "Lost", but once did three laps around Sutton, Ontario, in the rain and dark.

Posted by: byoolin | November 5, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin

thanks for the funny byoolin!

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 5, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm not witty enough to contribute to the creative captions (though I do love to read the responses), but I have to say that I *LOVE* the Lost posts. I wasn't a Lost watcher until I discovered Liz and Jen's weekly debrief - then I got caught up on the first two season in about one week straight and now I'm hooked to the show and the blog. WaPo.com does have a "Lost Central", and there is always a link to Liz's blog on the topic. I wouldn't mind if the Lost post went to it's own blog but PLEASE don't give it up Liz (and Jen)! I feel like this is the only weekly Lost posting I've found that is smart and where people (bloggers and posters included) actually post interesting ideas and discuss the parts of the show that I would never get otherwise (i.e. all the literary references). Many of the other Lost blogs seems very juvenile or bogged down in posters having side conversations/arguments or lingo that those with a casual interest and aren't on the site 24-7 don't have time for. Not sure if Liz and Jen have time for this, or really if they get enough weekly commentors, but a weekly Lost discussion would be great, too (though if I had to choose I'd rather have the blog post than the discussion since on the blog the comments can flow all day - not just in a one hour window).

Posted by: SeaTac | November 5, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I like a picture with less going on for the captions. If there's some obvious defect (someone's old, or not famous anymore) everyone jumps on that and there are 5000 non-funny iterations of that for every funny one, that usually doesn't address that obvious point. I thought people "brought it" more to the Klum one when they had to dig deeper. That Waldo caption one took me a minute then cracked me up!! Maybe I'm a tree-hugger or something, but Debbie Harry's cooler than everyone involved in the chat, and the captions that were just mean with nothing funny or clever to say sat with me wrong. So, after all that rambling, my main point was, I thought the picture without some obvious defect in the person made for funnier captions and I liked it more than I had before.

Posted by: Sigh | November 5, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sigh | November 5, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sigh | November 5, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sigh | November 5, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Ooops..it kept giving me an error message and it took me so long to type so I kept sending it, sorry guys :(

Posted by: Sigh | November 5, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Where the heck is Liz?

I've got a headful (yes, that's a word) of Celebritology-Comment-Of-The-Week-Worthy orders just waiting for her to post a new item. Brit, Brangelina, Tony Bennett and Bob Crane... name it, I have something to say.

I'm jonesing, bad...

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Also, about the error message:

If you submit your comment and get that error message that starts with "Rebuild failed," just click your browser's 'back' button and then reload the page - your comment will show up in the posts. (And the comment box will still contain all your typing, too, so don't accidentally submit again...)

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Hey there -- in case anyone checks here, we're having trouble with our blogging tool (not me, the actual software) Tuesday morning. It won't let us publish anything new. The techies are at work trying to figure this out.

Posted by: Liz | November 6, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Thanks byoolin...I figured it out the hard way. Is there a "most proliferous and redundant commenter" award?

Posted by: SIgh | November 6, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Sigh, there is a 'most redundant - etc', but that was long-ago ceded to Che and then retired.

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Some stories Liz will no doubt elucidate on when the software gets up and running:

Colbert says he's not running, after all. Democracy in America is finito.

British Vogue says HM QEII is one of the world's most glamourous women. Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, but come on...

Rosie O'Donnell still won't shut the heck up. Now she's talking to MSBNC about a nightly talk show.

Xtina is now officially preggers. And her husband's last name is "Bratman."

Paris is in Tokyo to judge a beauty contest and (one hopes) do battle with Godzilla.

Keanu Reeves will be awarded a certificate of achievement from The Britney Spears Driving School after driving over a photographer's foot.

TV writers are on strike. What that means for us: Rerun season is here, six weeks earlier than usual.

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I wondered if maybe Liz went on strike - after all, she is kind of a Hollywood writer. Glad to know that is not the case.

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 6, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

remont kvartir svarka sdayu kvartiru sankt peterburg posutochnaya kvartiry m frunzenskaya kvartiry m frunzenskaya kuplyu 1komnatnuyu kvartiru gp kvartira ru 2 aya kvartira prodazha kvartir g ryazan prodazha kvartir pionerskaya

Posted by: kuplyu 1komnatnuyu kvartiru | December 14, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

kvartiry m frunzenskaya kvartira snyat odnokomnatnaya ekaterinburg kvartiry kirovogradskaya 24 prodazha kvartir silikatnaya prodam kvartiru g lyubercy rynok kvartir sankt peterburg arenda kvartir g omsk gp kvartira ru pokupka kvartir g ufa

Posted by: prodam kvartiru g lyubercy | December 14, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk

Posted by: nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk | December 16, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse