Posted at 11:01 AM ET, 11/12/2007

Comment Box: Domestic Bliss for Rachael Ray?

By Liz Kelly

Rachael Ray. (PR Newswire)

You, sir or madam, have a rare ability to communicate much with an economy of words. Hats off. Now to answer your question.

As you so delicately point out, this isn't the first whiff of scandal to swirl around Ray and wannabe rocker husband John Cusimano. Almost exactly a year ago the Enquirer ran a story claiming that Cusimano paid some enterprising young thing $500 a session to have her spit on him and rub her dirty feet on his body. Was EVOO involved? We don't know.

Now the Enquirer is raising the red flag over Ray's marital bliss again, claiming the domestic diva has kicked hubby Cusimano out after he cheated on her (again). And, back in September rumors circulated that Ray was initiating divorce proceedings despite the fact that she stood to lose half her fortune (estimated then as $250 million) due to lack of a pre-nup.

So far, though, Ray and Cusimano have kept their silence and with no overt sign of a split, we can only assume Cusimano is still getting his spit at home.

---

Why are there so many celebrity DUIs? My guess is because there are too many celebs who own cars rather than ponies. Can you get arrested for riding a pony under the influence? -- ASinMoCo comments on 2007: The Year of the Celeb DUI?

Out of the many comments posted to this timeline of 2007 star-studded DUI arrests, a theme emerged: Were there really more drunk celebs behind the wheel in 2007? Are police simply cracking down more on moving violators? Or are DUI arrests up over all nationwide? Or, as reader LizD ponders, is the uptick "because the bar has been lowered for who to consider newsworthy of reporting a DUI type offense, and because it's so much easier for everyone to get access due to paps, internet and such?"

It's too early to analyze 2007 data (unless some enterprising researcher out there cares to weigh in). It may be worth pointing out, though, that the NHTSA this year implemented a nationwide DUI crackdown with focus on zero tolerance, citing the over 13,000 alcohol-related crash deaths in 2005. Their Stop Impaired Driving program also provides a boiler plate press release template that encourages jurisdictions to publicize "high profile" DUI arrests.

And, lest we forget, 2006 saw Mel Gibson, Nicole Richie, Rip Torn, Haley Joel Osment, Michelle Rodriguez and Tracy Morgan all arrested on charges of driving under the influence.

P.S. Thank you to reader Byoolin, for valuable research into equine-related DUI law: "According to 1800DUILaws.com, riding drunk in Pennsylvania and Utah are not illegal, because DUI laws there are written for people operating vehicles, which a pony is not." Rule of thumb: As long as the pony's sober, we're all good.

---

Comments of the Week:
"You mean Mickey Rourke and Mickey Rooney aren't the same person?" -- H3 comments on 2007: The Year of the Celeb DUI?

"Fabio sells margarine: George is too cool to sell partically [sic] hydrogenated vegetable oil." -- From last week's Celebritology Live discussion.

By Liz Kelly  | November 12, 2007; 11:01 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: With Kids in Tow, Brit Runs Red Light
Next: Morning Mix: Kanye West Thanks Fans for Support

Comments

Omg. My displeasure at being at work on a holiday is greatly mitigated by getting one of the comments of the week! Sweet! Is there a hat for that?

Posted by: h3 | November 12, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

h3, I'm with you. I'm totally (perhaps a tad too) excited about being featured in the comment box for the first time.

Meanwhile, WTF is up with that picture of Rachael Ray?? I can only imagine one of two things has happened here. 1) For the second time in just a few days, the PR people for Madame Tussaud's have hijacked the blog and inserted photos of there statues and claimed they were real photos of the celebrities in question or 2) Rachael Ray was dipped in a vat of EVOO prior to this photo shoot.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 12, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Ahem, *their statues*

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 12, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I cannot stand Rachael Ray. Her riduculously over-the-top perkiness makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork. The thought that she has made over 250 million dollars makes me wonder who the heck these people are that love her and what exactly their mental condition is.

Posted by: Sweetie | November 12, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Even if Mrs. Ray did lose half her fortune, $125 million is still enough for the poor dear to live on, don't ya think?

Posted by: Chicago | November 12, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Still, how clueless is it not to have a prenup???!!

Posted by: Californian | November 12, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I too hate Rachel Ray's ridiculously over the top perkiness, but not enough to injure myself, it make me want to stab HER in the eye with a knife, but somehow I get the feeling she'd turn it around and put a positive spin on it.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

If Rachael Ray is worth over $250 mill, I imagine she can afford to update her wardrobe. I'm not even talking about going over-the-top with Prada or anything, but at least ditch the Lee jeans and head for Lucky Brand, girl!

Posted by: Miss Penny Lane | November 12, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Rachel does look very plastic in that photo. Or like one of those airbrushed paints you see in the mall, kinda makes me do a double take.

Posted by: petal | November 12, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Aww you do care :)

Posted by: Liz D | November 12, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Dudes....I'd spit on her too. Can't STAND her!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sigmagrrl | November 12, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"I saw Rachel Ray [sic] on the Inquirer [sic] (I think) again. Is her husband still spittin' on girls? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion"

So...does the same person who wrote in to the chat also write the WaPo site's front page headlines?

". Celebritology: Rachel Ray's Domestic Bliss?"

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that in the absence of a legal document, Hubby was told that if he did get a judge to award him 125 million dollars of her money, he would be leaving the court room in a box. I'm sure behind that cheesy smile lies the mind of a mobster. It's the only explanation I can come up with for her success. Her recipes are crap.

Posted by: Slappy | November 12, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

She is beautiful! I love her very much! It is said she is single now! Her profile was found on millionaire dating site WealthyRomance.com last week!

Posted by: bigfan | November 13, 2007 4:15 AM | Report abuse

Isn't Mickey Rourke getting busted for DUI a "Dog Bites Man" story?

Plus, it's a pretty elastic definition of "celebrity" that includes Eric Carmen (?), Austin Nichols (???) and Gary Collins (???!!!).

Posted by: Louis | November 14, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

dubrovka prodazha kvartir snyat kvartiru novorossiysk posutochnaya arenda kvartir g moskvy kvartira novyy gorodok g yubileynyy sdayu kvartiru muzey kvartira akterov samoylovyh snimu kvartiru yaroslavskoe shosse 2 aya kvartira arenda kvartir dombay

Posted by: g yubileynyy sdayu kvartiru | December 14, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk

Posted by: nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk | December 16, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Hey! NEW YEAR is coming, how to celetrate the wonderful day? you love to try something new? www.interracialsinlgeonline.com you will be surprised there...

Posted by: kily222 | December 27, 2007 9:48 PM | Report abuse