Posted at 7:59 AM ET, 11/ 2/2007

Morning Mix: Brit Spends $150K a Month

By Liz Kelly

Is it just me or is Kathie Lee Gifford, seen here with husband Frank at the Broadway opening of 'Cyrano De Bergerac,' looking perkier than ever? (And while we're at it -- what is this all about?) (AP)

Headlines: Britney Spears spends more than $150K a month... Brit's album set to take number one spot on Billboard chart... Lawyer says Duane "Dog" Chapman's son sold incriminating tape to tabloid... In related news, Don Imus returning to radio in December... Heather Mills's PR advisor quits following media blitz... Stephen Colbert's S.C. presidential primary hopes dashed... Tennis star Martina Hingis retires after admitting she tested positive for cocaine... Mark Ruffalo and wife welcome baby girl... Johnny Depp says daughter Lily-Rose is now healthy and happy... Drew Carey champions medical marijuana use (video)... Pic: Lindsay Lohan's tan 'stache... Broken finger puts a stop to Led Zeppelin comeback concert... Carlos Santana divorcing wife of 34 years... Amy Winehouse plans to appeal pot possession fine... Rapper Da Brat charged with assault at Atlanta nightclub... Judge dismisses $20 million lawsuit against Perez Hilton.

Rumor Mill: Publicist says Lance Bass was joking about Vegas wedding... Blaming fans for his DUI sentence, Kiefer Sutherland stops signing autographs.

Say What?
"I fully thought her book would be telling girls how to get a fake ID." -- Family friend Brad Freeman introduces Jenna Bush at a recent reading of her book, "Ana's Story"

By Liz Kelly  | November 2, 2007; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: This Kitten Has Claws
Next: Catching Up With... Andy Dick

Comments

Clearly Kathie Lee Gifford has had some "work" done. Would you expect anything else from such a notoriously ambitious woman? Nothing is gonna bring her down. Especially not gravity.

Posted by: Rex | November 2, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Seriously Kiefer - I pretty sure the fact that you got all loaded and then decided to drive home is what lead to your jail sentence - the people you did not hurt or kill should be thanking those terrible picture takers that caught you "stumbling" to you car!

and I LOVE that Jenna Bush quote - finally someone with a sense of humor about what every college kid does!

Posted by: Betty | November 2, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Kathie Lee looks worse then ever (but I was never a fan, so maybe I'm a bit biased). Stay away from the plastic surgeons and Botox. And bad perm.

And what's with the guy in the back of one of those LiLo pics flipping the bird?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 2, 2007 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Brit - Can we stop with the daily updates?

Dog - Dog

Imus - Dog

Heather Mills - Who?

Stephen Colbert - Awwwwwwwwww

Martina - She thought it was flax-seed oil.

Ruffalo - Who dat?

Depp - Lily-Rose is a cute name. I hope she has cheeks, unlike her parents, who just have cheek bones.

Drew - Medical marijuana is still harmful in one way, to you in particular. It give you the muchines.

Lindsay - That hairy 'stache is from smoking too many ciggies.

Zepplin - Sorry. Who?

Santana - Maria, Maria is leaving?

Da Brat - You're like 40 years old. Change your name and grow up.

Perez - $20 million can buy a lot of cock.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

So do you think we could get a write in campaign for Steven Colbert just to get him a delegate seat at the convention? That would be funny since the primaries don't count for much other than convention seats.

Posted by: PGM II | November 2, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Oops, I forgot my name @ 9:16.

Posted by: Mina | November 2, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

while the daily updates on britney spears are often infuriating/bewildering, today link was illuminating.
she makes $737,000 each month and puts none of it aside for her children's education, investments, or savings? she spends 150K each month on 'stuff' and gives $500 a month to charity?
inconceivable! *said a la wallace shawn*

Posted by: methinks | November 2, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I just finished reading the Britney and K-Fed spending budgets.

Now, I know why we don't see photos or videos of Kevin and the kids... security. The man spends almost as much money as rent as in security. I have feeling he would cut expenses in other items if he felt the kids needed more security.

Holy crap, K-Fed is a good dad.

Posted by: unmute | November 2, 2007 9:38 AM | Report abuse

To the person who didn't know who Led Zeppelin is, shame on you. Does "Stairway to Heaven" ring a bell? They are rock legends. You know from when rock was real, not this bubblegum crap.

If I were Heather Mills' PR rep, I would've quit too. No way would I want my name associated with that oblivious idiot. The only worse job is PR rep for Twitney.

Posted by: ep | November 2, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Britney hasn't put more of that money up her nose. As it is, it will all be gone someday.
I think she and K-fed will get back together and reopen "Cash's Big Bargain Barn". K-fed will sit on the big riding mower while Brit plays the organ.

Posted by: POS | November 2, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Britney could be spending more you know. Look at all the links we've seen just in the last month where the paps are buying her Frappachinos and pumping & paying for her gas. You don't think she's reimbursing the do you? Aside from not putting any money aside for her children's education I think the saddest think is the paps are probably spending as much on Brit each month as she spends on charity.

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else see Heather Mills on the Today show? She did not help her cause. She appeared to be everything the tabloids reported - shrill, mental woman looking to get money from Paul. I understand she feels strongly about charity - and felt that Paul could and should do more - but sheesh.

BTW - I'm 30 so the Beatles are only the band that Paul was in before he was in Wings.

Posted by: ex cap | November 2, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Blaming fans for his DUI sentence, Kiefer Sutherland stops signing autographs."

Funny, I doubt fans poured alcohol down his throat. He's such a jerk; wouldn't want his autograph anyway.

Posted by: surlychick | November 2, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Kathie Lee looks like she is wearing her Mariah Carey costume. Ok, clearly the outfit isn't skimpy enough but it's definitely tight enough.

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, this Morning Mix makes my head hurt. Once in a great while, I wish celebrities would stop doing stupid stuff. I also wish I never had to see a picture of Kathie Lee Gifford ever again. I also wish I had a pony.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 2, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo, me too. I wish that celebrities would stop doing stupid stuff, and use that common sense that all are given. I also wish I had a pony.

Posted by: unmute | November 2, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I will be the first person to sign the petition to get Cobert put on the ballot. I think the Dems and Reps were afraid that if he was up for election the other canidates would lose.

Posted by: Melissa | November 2, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

WOW! At a quick first glance I thought that pic was an image of the future Mariah Carey (and possibly Warren Beatty or Jimmy Carter).

Posted by: not bluto | November 2, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

"and use that common sense that all are given."

Ah, if only common sense were actually "common!"

I also want a pony.

I also want a link so that I can see the picture, although that one with the lollipop set and the bare feet and the whatever she is doing to her crotch made me throw up a little in my mouth...

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 2, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

actually, santana's not divorcing his wife, she is divorcing him. makes it sound like he's dumping her, when she's actually dumping him, apparently with good reason.

i can has pony, too?

Posted by: b | November 2, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wait, you mean those aren't wax figures of Kathie Lee and Frank in that picture? I seriously thought they'd been added to Madame Tussaud's.

Posted by: arlington | November 2, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I *do* have a pony. But that means I don't have money left over to make myself look all Kathie Lee perky.

Posted by: c | November 2, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The Kathie Lee picture is interesting from an engineering standpoint. I wonder what kind of load factors are on the points where the stitches pull her skin to that drumhead-tight tension?

Posted by: byoolin | November 2, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

How can you say Brit is not saving any money when she is earning $737,000 per month but is only spending $150,000. Unless the other $587,000 is going up her nose.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

check it out.
What missing?

IMO- The Chevy Chase Show.
Does anyone else remember Chevy's talkshow during the Fox network's infancy. His interview with Corbin Bernsen (LA Law) was cringe-worthy.

Posted by: Chi Trib 25 Worst TV Shows | November 2, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Re. Chi Trib's Top 25 worst shows -- I could swear my college roommate watched Beauty and the Beast and that was 94-95 (it says it ended in 90). Maybe I'm thinking of another show?

Surprised ALF didn't make it up there! Small Wonder, that show was odd and yet I watched it. And I admit to Mr. Belvedere, too. Wonder what ever happened to those kids (both shows!)??

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 2, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Colbert: My pals in SC say that they have enough jokers on the ballot already, perhaps it's time for a professional joker.

I wants pony too please.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Looks to me like our Little Miss Lindsey has had her lips puffed up ala Britney!

Posted by: Redddy | November 2, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

so just pointing out a little flaw in the math: Brit is spending about $207K/month according to the numbers in the article. She listed no money for savings or investments, so that's how the claim comes up that she's not saving or investing her cash. (though buying pricey CA real estate counts as an investment--provided she doesn't have to sell it a month or so later because it's not child-friendly; like having an unfenced infinity pool, for instance.) I'll imagine the rest goes to employing the various folks she has to pay: this month's manager, business manager, agents, her and K-Fed's lawyers, associated staff, etc.--Ali doesn't come free after all
And forget the pony, I'll just take the cash, thank you very much.

Posted by: geof | November 2, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

$219K/month actually...

Posted by: geof | November 2, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow -- misery loves company.
You sit through 45 minutes with Andy Dick, and then make us pay for it by forcing us to carefully inspect two photos of Kathie Lee Gifford.
Next time, could I just shoot you a check?

Posted by: other liz | November 2, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

It seems that a lot of her descretionary income is going to Starbucks and definately not hair care.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Well, as long as we're asking I too would like a pony!

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Actually the article states that Carlos' wife is divorcing him...

Posted by: bored... | November 2, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay I'm still catching up this week, so I just read the transcript from yesterday's chat. I'm not saying Lance Armstrong is the bestest guy in the world, but he didn't dump his wife after she stood by him while he had cancer, because they didn't even meet until after the chemo was finished. And after seeing the total chill between them during the last TdF he raced before they split up, I actually assumed that she kicked him out.

But anyway, all you haters who thought you were alone can rest assured that you've had plenty of company for a long time now. Personally I'm more interested in the anti-cancer thing than anything else.

Posted by: arlington | November 2, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

According to court papers released Thursday, Britney spends $150,000 per month on "stuff." That's an average of $5,000, each and every day, on miscellaneous crap. Five freakin' grand!

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 2, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The Mon Petit Chou Chou item: Kathie Lee Gives Birth To Cabbage Patch Kid. Live On Rosie!

Posted by: Mr. Natural | November 2, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

'And yet, she apparently cannot afford underwear or clothes that don't make her look like a $20 hooker. Go figure.'

You really are a niceFLguy, I wouldn't have even said $20!

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: yesterday's Lance Armstrong thingie..

I thought he was way older than 35 or 36, for some reason, which added to the oogey factor of the Mary Kate or Ashley business. He looks like he's in his 40's.

Posted by: d | November 2, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, jes. I try.

I also agree with your observation that Kathie Lee Gifford looks as though she's wearing a Mariah Carey costume. Very odd.

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 2, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't want a pony, but I'm hung like one. Does that count?

Posted by: Mister Methane | November 2, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

not if your name is mister methane

Posted by: ol | November 2, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

The phrase "retires after admitting she tested positive for cocaine" is unfair. She gist of the story is that she disputes the test results.

Posted by: Eric | November 2, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Okay, gotta correct the Lance Armstrong misconception. I'm from Austin, so his personal life was everywhere. He was married before the cancer. He and his wife made a decision together to freeze some future Lance base. Once the chemo was over, they thawed some out for the first one, then late had two more. Then when everything was hunky dory with him, but SHE was starting to get attention for her book about her IVF experience and being the wife of a famous guy, he dumped her.

When he did a biography (I think for A & E), he talked about how his MOM stood by him during the chemo, but no mention of his wife at all. I was thought that was incredibly cold.

I'd like a pony too please.

Posted by: ep | November 2, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

who's giving away ponies?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

No one is giving away ponies. It's not like they grow on trees, you know.

Some poor kids who can't afford a pony have to make do with hanging picture of Sarah Jessica Parker around their rooms.

Posted by: d | November 2, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I sell ponies, so I'm really getting a kick out of these postings.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet that if Ashley Olsen asked Lance Armstrong for a pony, she'd get one.

Posted by: Mister Methane | November 2, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

LMAO, d! BWAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

but I stayed with him, even when he didn't have naughty bits, which really speaks to my character.

Posted by: lance's first wife | November 2, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather hook up with Miguel Indurain. He won the Tour five times, is nice, good-looking, AND has a farm with ponies.

Posted by: POS | November 2, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

When I was younger I wanted a pony. At this stage of my life I'm upgrading to a stallion please.

While my eyes did go directly to Kathie Lee's recent purchase. I'm wondering what's up with her face.

Posted by: petal | November 2, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought Lance was dating Sheryl Crowe when he had cancer. No? I thought that because he dumped her when she found out she had cancer and I recall folks saying how she (Sheryl) stood by him when he was sick, but he dumped her when she found out she was sick. All of this is wrong? Well, OK, but I STILL want my pony...

"No one is giving away ponies. It's not like they grow on trees, you know."

d - are you my hubby in disguise??? This sounds like what he says whenever I ask for a pony...

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 2, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

"While my eyes did go directly to Kathie Lee's recent purchase. I'm wondering what's up with her face"

petal, I believe she has been ironing out any wrinkles when ironing out Frank's suit. Instead of starch, she uses an orange spray.

Posted by: unmute | November 2, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Now I want a pony. And I need to learn to not have a mouth full of liquid when I read these comments!

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 2, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

The answer to my question is yes, Sunny, that is completely incorrect.

Lance's cancer treatments ended in 1996 according to his livestrong website and he met Ms. Crowe in 2003 at a charity event, according to People magazine.

Just the facts, not a pony in sight.

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 2, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused by the Martina Hingis retirement. Is she retiring because of the positive cocaine test at Wimbledon or is she retiring because she disputes the test and now has to spend all her time & energy hunting down the real culprit?

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I want a pony too(brown with white spots)

Kathy Lee looks like Mariah Carey Drag Queen.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 2, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

1) what does Britney do with the difference between what she spends and the $750K she pulls down??
2) here is the Lance bio re: love life

quote: Armstrong met his wife, Kristin Richard (Kik), in June 1997. They were married on May 8, 1998, and had three children: Luke, born in October 1999, and twins Isabelle and Grace, born in November 2001. The couple filed for divorce in September 2003. Kristin Armstrong cited several reasons for the dissolution of their marriage, including her husband's rapid rise to celebrity, his comeback from cancer, and their constant movement between multiple homes in different countries.
Armstrong began dating singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow some time in the autumn of 2003 and publicly revealed their relationship in January 2004. The couple announced their engagement in September 2005 and their split in February 2006. According to Men's Journal's July 2006 cover story, Armstrong had struggled to grapple with Crow's breast cancer diagnosis on February 20, 2006, but, after talking almost daily for a while, they have again gone separate ways. "I still think about her every day. Primarily now because of her health and hoping that everything works out. And I'm fully confident that it will," he said.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

from what I recall, Crow was diganosed right after the split and he considered gettingback together with her, but she said no. She said this in some magazine interview I read recently.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

since it's actually my BIRTHDAY and i was too poor to have a pony whilst growing up, i think everyone should chip in (say, $5.00 each) and get ME a pony. palomino. i will name it after all of you. but will call it bucky.

Posted by: methinks | November 2, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense.. am I wrong?

Posted by: Jerry byoolin | November 2, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been a celeb who actually admitted to cheating on the spouse/divorcing the spouse for someone else? Michael Douglas and CZJ, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie, that director dude and Marilyn Manson's ex, the list goes on and on and on. They ALL say they met/slept with/etc. the new person after the marriage was already over, blah blah blah. Yeah right.

Not that the Armstrong story is false. I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: Californian | November 2, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

LMAO, byoolin! One of my all-time favorite Seinfeld episodes! :-D

Posted by: Californian | November 2, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

methinks, I'd sing "Happy Birthday" to you, but I can't afford the fees, and besides, nobody likes to listen to the sound of my caterwauling on their birthday.

Happy birthday anyway.

Posted by: byoolin | November 2, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Lance cheated on his wife. But did you know that Charles Shulz (or Shultz) cheated on his? And then had Snoopy talk about it in "Peanuts." Geez (or Rats) I don't know if even a pony could lift my depression.

Posted by: POS | November 2, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

wait, how do you get that he cheated on her? His WIFE didn't cite that as a cause!! Nothing anywhere about cheating.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

so did George Bush I, Mr. Barbara-and-I-Have-Perfect-Marriage. So did every high-profile person ever. How is it relevant to anything?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

bartender...ponies for everyone!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

It's not relevant, which is why the whole impeachment of Clinton was such a complete embarrassment to Americans with brains. Who weren't running the witchhunt and spending something like $70 mil. of taxpayer dollars to prove ... a high-profile person cheated! Gasp!

But I digress. This is a celeb blog, after all.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday methinks. Here's to Bucky!

Posted by: jes | November 2, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Re. Chi Trib's Top 25 worst shows

I probably shouldn't say this, but I kind of liked Petticoat Junction. Plus you got to see Benji before he got all uppity & movie starish.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, methinks!

I think Bucky is an awesome name for a pony.

Somehow I think loving celebritology has somewhat corrupted my thinking (blame the celebrities. When I first read the name Bucky, I thought of the contestant from American Idol on all fours with a saddle on his back. Not a pretty picture.. not a pretty picture.

Posted by: unmute | November 2, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

thanks for that b.day treat of an image, unmute!
i was thinking more along the lines of 'bucky the wonderpony.' maybe he and i will run away and join the circus.
and thanks to all the b.day well wishers...byoolin, jes, and likely thousands of unspoken others. have i been drinking? yes i have.
ponies for everyone!

Posted by: methinks | November 2, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Lance met his first wife when she worked PR at one of his charity rides for cancer research AFTER he was well on his way to recovering. She did not see him through cancer.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 5, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

TO Mina @9:16

$20 million can buy a lot of WHAT?!?!?

Posted by: SoMD | November 6, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse