Posted at 7:57 AM ET, 11/ 1/2007

Morning Mix: Dog the Bounty Hunter Sorry for Racist Rant

By Liz Kelly

Kelly Osbourne poses at last night's 'National Television Awards' at London's Royal Albert Hall. (AP)

Headlines: Britney Spears bemoans "cruel" world to Ryan Seacrest (listen), kitty cat's herself up for Halloween... Duane "Dog" Chapman apologizes for racist rant (listen)... Heather Mills says Paul McCartney not protecting her and daughter Beatrice... Tom Cruise says married life is "lovely"... Lance Bass says he was married for "five minutes"... Oprah chops off Hilary Swank's hair for charity... "Prison Break's" Lane Garrison sentenced to 40 months in prison on DUI conviction... Vincent "Don Vito" Margera convicted on two sex counts... Kristy Swanson assault charges dropped.

Rumor Mill: Man says Britney Spears invited him to snort cocaine off her chest... Did a newly-clean Lindsay Lohan try to order a drink?... Sting visits New York strip club.

Chat Day: Join me live at 2 p.m. ET for this week's power hour of Celebritology Live.

Housekeeping: In the department of things I never thought I'd say: We've got a new widget vendor. By widget, I mean the handy tool you see directly below the first post each day that allows you to add Celebritology headlines to your own site. For anyone who already added the old widget, you probably want to upgrade to this new and improved version. For anyone who didn't add the old widget, now's your chance to be cool.

And, since we're already geeking out, Facebook users might be interested in adding this spiffy new post.com NewsTracker application to your Facebook profile. Track customized news feeds (including Celebritology) and find out what your friends are tracking, too.

By Liz Kelly  | November 1, 2007; 7:57 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Book Club: Time for 'Time'
Next: Creative Captioning: This Kitten Has Claws

Comments

Great dress, Kelly!

Posted by: Kris | November 1, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Dog, the Bounty Hunter, has a mullet. Is anyone really surprised that he used the N word?

Meeting with black leaders who can "teach [him] the right thing to do to make things right, again" is hilarious. Who are these black leaders that have magic powers and time machines.

He used that word too many times and too easily for it to be a slip of the tongue. I'm afraid there is no cure for racist, Dog.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 1, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

you know, everyone regrets saying the n-word when they get caught.
"dog" appears to have been appropriately nicknamed.

Posted by: methinks | November 1, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Dog kept saying that he has nothing against black people, but that at his work they just use the n-word (which he obviously knows is unacceptable).....

Um, then why are you still using the n-word?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

O.M.G. Britney's costume is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Liz, why didn't you warn us?!? NSFW is more Not Safe For Eyes in this case!

Posted by: md | November 1, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

re: Britney's costume and Halloween antics...it is so obvious to everyone in the whole wide freakin' world that this girl does not want to be a mom. I hope that Federline gets those kids. And I can't believe I just typed that.

Posted by: methinks | November 1, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

-I like Kelly Osbourne's dress.

-I don't watch Bounty Hunter because I find him, his show, his mallet and his family offensive.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 1, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Dog the Bounty Hunter is a racist?? I'm shocked SHOCKED. He always seemed so kind and gentle. Argh.

And md, I'm with you. Britney's costume is going to give me nightmares. Sick.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 1, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

More proof that Kat(i)e Holmes is a beard?

Do straight men use the word lovely to describe marital bliss?

Posted by: jes | November 1, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Never thought I'd say this, but Kelly Osbourne looks very elegant. Fabulous skin!

Posted by: tamerlane | November 1, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I don't condone it, but in Dog's defense, I bet he's probably just going along the same line that Chris Rock trod in his "N---as vs. black people" routine.

Posted by: 22302 | November 1, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I honestly had no idea that was Kelly Osbourne, until I read the cutline. She looks great! In fact, she'd probably get a lot more respect and positive publicity if she got dolled up more often.

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 1, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Holy s**t! That picture of brit is enough to pop lunch into orbit! Ahhhh, my eyes!

Posted by: Stick | November 1, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

The invitation to snort cocaine story isn't too hard to believe; after all, we've all seen proof she's got crack.

Posted by: byoolin | November 1, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Man says Britney Spears invited him to snort cocaine off her chest..."

Wait... you mean that's not how all responsible, young mothers entertain their new acquaintances at parties? I'm stunned. Next you'll be telling me that Junior Leaguers don't pole dance in strip clubs or flash their hoo-hahs for photographers.

Posted by: MisterBear | November 1, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't buy that defense. *I* didn't give that word its meaning and power, society did, long before I came along. It was always taught that it was derogatory, it's only in the past decade or so that rap music 'legitimized' it, and then as a 'gangsta' or 'street' genre of rap.
Your comment reminds me of the time when I was 13 that my sister called me the b-word that rhymes with witch. Naturally I ratted out my sister and my mother scolded her appropriately. When my sister said, "My definition isn't the same as yours," my mom replied, "well not everyone knows you mean Blessed Virgin Mary so don't use it!"

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

britney's costume:

i used to wish i could wear an outfit like that...

now i wish she could.

Posted by: b | November 1, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

this isn't really related but i'm upset and just wanted to say it somewhere, slate is no longer an approved site at work for sex/adult material. seriously isn't this just a news magazine?

oh and kelly osbourne looks amazing. I love her skin its flawless and so much better than all of the orange tans

Posted by: argh | November 1, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Why, oh why doesn't anyone tell Britney not to wear things like that.

Posted by: michael | November 1, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Heather, Paul is protecting you and Beatrice by not running his mouth in public all the time and denigrating the mother of his child. You might try that sometime.

Posted by: ep | November 1, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does Britney Spears' torso look similar to ET's?

Posted by: phone home | November 1, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Is Brit dressed up for Halloween, the same night she got the kids. I expected to see them tagging along with pumpkins full of goodies. Where are they?

Tom sweetie there are three sides to every story, his side, her deprogrammed side and the truth. I'm holding off for the other two to come in.

I would find it hard to protect Heather with the allegations flying left and right. Paul might try to step in and next thing you know she's calling him controlling. Another thing, it's kinda hard to protect someone who's all grabby with your money.

Posted by: petal | November 1, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

for one thing: no one should be shocked that someone that still wears a mullett in 2007 is a racist. It kinda goes with the hair.

And as for this asinine statement: "In re N word: it's a word, it only has the power you give it; if no one reacted to it then it wouldn't be such a bfd."

Obviously from someone that's never been called one.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

As Hax would say - wow. Brit does have the ET torso going for her in that nightmare of a 'costume'.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 1, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The only decent part about Brit's costume is at least her hoo-ha is covered. For once.

How does she keep getting invited to Hollywood soirees? Heidi Klum and Seal invited this train wreck to their home...???

Posted by: Californian | November 1, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

To argh @ 11:04:

I had the same problem with slate.com. Try clearing the history and cache from your browser - did the trick for me.

Kelly Osborne, while much improved, is still far from attractive in my book.

Posted by: Slate | November 1, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

The mullet is by far the worst hairstyle ever invented. However, in my opinion, equating the mullet with racism, even as a "joke," is no different from judging an African American teen who has on baggy pants as a "thug." But, for some reason, it's ok to make blanket assertions about trashy white people, particularly if they are from the South.

Posted by: mullet love | November 1, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

mullet love, I don't think that's a fair comparison. baggy jeans are still in style (at least among rappers and suburban white boys) but the mullet hasn't been in style for over 20 years, except among practical jokers, racists, lesbians.

I have official data to back this up and I'll show you, unless you've already gone to dictionary.com and looked up the meaning of the word "joke," in which case you realize there's no need for statistics and analogies.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 1, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Kelly O looks great. She just needs to wear less foudation- I don't think that any of her real skin is showing through (maybe that's the point) and it looks too cakey.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

i just read the online chat--the story about the guy at mr. liz's halloween work party was fantastic.
i want to meet this guy. it doesn't sound like he has any self esteem issues at all!

Posted by: methinks | November 1, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

That is messed up how Dog was going off like that with the n word. I put up a video showing how I feel about the whole thing. It has some extra footage of this bullshi_and the story of how he became a bounty hunter. The video is called " Duane Dog The Bounty Hunter "N" Word - Talking With Dave #4". It's at
My videos are kind of.... Different.

Posted by: David Spates | November 2, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I hate what Dog said! But what I hate even more is that he is getting that hippocrite Al Sharpton involved to help him settle things. Al is the BIGGEST RACIST on the planet. Look at all he says about others without getting the facts about what the heck he's even talking about. I could rant on him all day!
Well, ya the Dog deserves what he gets!

Posted by: Greg | November 2, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse