Posted at 7:38 AM ET, 11/26/2007

Morning Mix: Heidi Montag Tops Useless Celeb Index

By Liz Kelly

A gaggle of Amy Winehouse fans (I think) gather outside a London courthouse where the troubled singer's husband, Blake Fielder-Civil was arraigned on assault charges Friday. (Getty Images)

Headlines: Heidi Montag tops Useless Celebrity index... Hulk Hogan's wife files for divorce... Entertainment Weekly names J.K. Rowling the Entertainer of the Year (full list)... "Superman" Brandon Routh marries... Christina Applegate speaks out about past abuse... Brad Pitt pulls out of movie... No $15 million house for Kimora Lee Simmons... Ashley Olsen buys $1.6 million home... Jet Li sets record as China's top-earning star.

Crime Watch: Dennis Rodman sued for alleged assault at Vegas club... Willie Nelson pleads guilty to marijuana possession charges... "Lost's" Daniel Dae Kim pleads not guilty to DUI charges... Victoria Beckham to make cameo appearance in "Sex and the City" movie.

Rumor Mill: British tabloid claims Britney Spears set to adopt Chinese twins... Did Paris Hilton try to peddle "pirated" pix of herself at Nicole Richie's baby shower?... Paul McCartney now linked with Rosanna Arquette...

By Liz Kelly  | November 26, 2007; 7:38 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Heather Mills Derides Rich as 'Snobs'
Next: Comment Box: Bindi Irwin's Croc Men and Other 'Lost' Causes

Comments

Heidi Montag 'most useless'?

Surely there's *something* she can do...

Cannon fodder?
Snuff film fluff girl/stunt woman?
Live organ donor?
Ransom payment to free kidnapped turnip?
Soylent Green?

Posted by: byoolin | November 26, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I have some real doubts about the item concerning Brittany and the twins. At one time I worked with someone who had adopted from China. Things change, but the rule then was that the government would only allow twins to be adopted by a couple that included at least one ethnic Chinese.

Posted by: Witchy | November 26, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Still don't understand that Amy Winehouse appeal. She's unattractive, an even less funny boozehound than Tara Reid, and not particularly talented. I can find better songwriters waiting tables in Nashville.

Posted by: 23112 | November 26, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

My Christmas wish is that the story about Britney adopting Chinese twins not be true. I will even forgo my chance to wish for a pony this year. Wishing for both just seems like overkill.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 26, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Re: Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse might not be particularly cute or sober, but the girl can sing. Have you actually heard her album? Back to Black is pretty amazing.

Posted by: Noelle | November 26, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

She sounds like a nasal Pink trying to channel Dusty Springfield. There's some other youngish female performer that almost made it big a couple of years ago with the same sound, and I can't remember her name now. Winehouse has a capable voice, but she's too all over the place with her phrasing. It's a distraction and sounds affected.

Posted by: 23112 | November 26, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Re: Winehouse

Nasal? That's definitely not an adjective I would use to describe her voice. It's really deep and soulful, in my opinion. Are you sure you're thinking of Amy Winehouse? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one :-)

Posted by: Noelle | November 26, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Noelle, Amy Winehouse is a great. I downloaded her first CD, Frank, and it is phenomenal. It's a little more bluesy than Back to Black. F*** Me Pumps is my new favorite song.

Posted by: Amy Fan | November 26, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo,

I think I can grant this wish for you. While I am pretty sure that you don't have to be Chinese to adopt from China - I know a couple who did it and they are almost as southern white cracker as Britney, but not trainwrecks (and their daughter is adorable!)...anyway, I am also pretty sure that even the Chinese do a fairly extensive background, fitness type check and there is no possibility that Britney could pass it. The Chinese also have a seemingly good sense of public relations in things like this - I feel sure they would realize what a fiasco that would be...

Still, maybe I'll add my Christmas wish to yours and see if we can make absolutely sure...wonder twin powers, activate....

Willie Nelson smokes weed?!?! Who knew...(well, OK, everyone knew!)

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 26, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a Winehouse argument. I think we can all agree that doing cocaine onstage is the sign of a performer on her way out (of the business and life in general.) As to her talent, it doesn't really matter, does it? If she has any, it will be wasted.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 26, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

According to some international adoption info from this year, China no longer adopts to single women. The background investigations for intl. adoption sure seem in-depth, so I can't imagine Britney passing.

Little Chinese orphans, you may rest easy tonight.

Posted by: e | November 26, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I guess Hogan doesn't know best afterall.

Posted by: not bluto | November 26, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

now that we're reasonably sure that britney won't be able to adopt a baby (or two) from china, can we continue wishing for Christmas ponies??

Posted by: methinks | November 26, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Britney adopting Chinese twins is, once the authorities see her behaving irresponsibly and take one endangered child from her, an hour later she'll want to get stoopid all over again.

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 26, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

And for the record, I like Amy Winehouse just fine, but I winced everytime I saw an AW costume on Halloween. Is it just me, or what? I thought they were just plain unoriginal.

Anyway, my new music montage d'ipod of the week is Bitter:Sweet. Liz, check them out!

Posted by: not bluto | November 26, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

People, the Britney adoption "news" is in the rumor section... and it's in a *British* tabloid, which makes the chances of it being even remotely true absolutely zero.

Posted by: SeaTac | November 26, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Sunnydaze is correct that you don't have to be Chinese to adopt a single child, and they are good about vetting potential parents. They will not allow adoption of chinese twins to non chinese families. They also have restrictions about allowing adoptions to families that have had a live birth within the last 12 months.

Posted by: Witchy | November 26, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

-Amy Winehouse is amazing when she is sober. I have both her albums and she can sing. She much better than the other poptarts who can't carry a note with a u-haul.

-Please explain to me why Daniel Dae Kim can apologize for his DUI arrest and then pleads "not guilty".

-Please Liz, make this the only time Heidi Montag name will ever appear in this blog.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 26, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think we're going to see more of Heidi in the coming year. Unless I'm mistaken she's working on an album. Oy vey.

Jet Li rocks!!!!

Dennis Rodman, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while and he's up on charges. Its just like old times again.

Posted by: petal | November 26, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I think that Britney wants to adopt twin ponies - don't know if they're Chinese, though.

Posted by: OB | November 26, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Why is Victoria Beckham's TV cameo part of CrimeWatch? Liz, you got a freudian gripe against Posh?

And speaking as an adoptive parent (Russia), I can tell you the Chinese adoption process takes a good year at least. I doubt Britney has the patience (Madonna's fast-track adoptions notwithstanding) to wait that long.

Though if she did? I can only imagine what fun it would be to write her homestudy:

"Prospective mother is 25 years old, recently divorced, with two birth children. She is prone to head shaving, reckless driving, and flashing body parts at the many camera-toting people who appear to follow her every move 24/7.

"At first glance she appears to have an unhealthy attachment to tanning and an unhealthy desire to be noticed. Based on the above, on her immense fortune and with a personal sense of pity following the tremendous public teardown of her 2007 VMA performance, I heartily recommend her for adoptive parenthood."

As if.

Posted by: td | November 26, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Who's Heidi Montag?

And for that matter, who's Kimora Lee Simmons? (Besides a trophy wife, I mean.)

Posted by: Californian | November 26, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of Amy Wine-o, what's up with those filthy ballet slippers she's always wearing? And in winter in London, too. Brr.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 26, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

"And for that matter, who's Kimora Lee Simmons? (Besides a trophy wife, I mean.)"

She has a fairly successful fashion line, Baby Phat.

If you're curious:

Posted by: Noelle | November 26, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

baby phat was a direct result of the russell simmons clothing line, phat farm. kimora lee simmons wouldn't have had the clout to start baby phat w/out her husband's support.

Posted by: methinks | November 26, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Peter Gabriel rings up ole Macca to let him know just what he's in for if he gets serious about Ms. Arquette. At the very least, I'd think Sir Paul now knows that a prenup is essential.

Posted by: CallMeSkeptical | November 26, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

FREE WILLIE !!!!!

Posted by: Boko999 | November 26, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Boy you guys work fast.
No pony for me.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 26, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The Brit adoption story doesn't sound true at all- I dont' think even the most corrupt Chinese adoption agency would allow this girl to adopt shar-peis much less than children.

I agree w/methinks- although I love the BabyPhat jeans (because they fit my phat booty), I doubt anyone would know anything about the line if it were not a sucessful spinoff of PhatFarm.

I wish all the psuedo celebs, Paris, Kim K, Heidi (who?) would go away.

To previous post about Amy Wine-o's ballet shoes. Geez I thought I was the only one who noticed her strange choice in shoes- remember the pic of her and her husband after a fight and her pink ballet shoes were all bloodied, allegedly from shooting heroin between her toes? Yucko-she probably has a bunch of ballet shoes that she replaces once holes have worn into the soles or they've gotten soiled from blood, etc.

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 26, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse