Posted at 8:01 AM ET, 11/28/2007

Morning Mix: K-Fed Named 'Power Player' by Details

By Liz Kelly

Helio Castroneves and Julianne Hough show off their big, shiny disco balls after winning last night's 'Dancing with the Stars' competition. (AP)

Headlines: Helio Castroneves wins "Dancing with the Stars"... Kevin Federline ranks no. 7 on Details Top 50 Power Players list... Barbra Streisand endorses Hillary Clinton's bid for presidency... Malibu wildfires destroy Red Hot Chili Pepper Flea's home... Oprah meets with family of South African girl in abuse case... Amy Winehouse dumps remaining 2007 tour dates... Usher welcomes first child with wife Tameka Foster... Carson Daly's show will go on despite writers strike.

Crime Watch: Foxy Brown released from solitary confinement... Evel Knievel and Kanye West settle lawsuit... Pierce Brosnan cleared in scuffle with paparazzo... Kim Kardashian burgled at New York airport.

Rumor Mill: Tabloid claims Britney Spears keeps secret X-rated "fantasy room"... Lawyer says Hulk Hogan divorce is a scam... Jessica Simpson spends Thanksgiving with Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo... Recently rehabbed Lindsay Lohan spotted drinking in New York... Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne make suicide pact... Was Marie Osmond's "Dancing with the Stars" fainting spell faked?

Say What?
"I felt sorry for her, because I think she needs psychiatric help. I felt like she's bipolar. You can't get angry with someone who's sick." -- Wyclef Jean on former Fugee bandmate Lauren Lauryn Hill

'Lost' Book Club Chat: Join Jen Chaney and I me today at Noon ET for a discussion of the November selection, Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time."

By Liz Kelly  | November 28, 2007; 8:01 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Occupational Hazard: Celeb Ennui
Next: 'Lost' Book Club: 'A Wrinkle in Time'

Comments

liz,
the tattoo is spectacular. beautiful art.
i think the most surprising news item of the day is the emergence of respectability for kevin federline. seriously...who saw *that* coming?
i'm not saying he's 'father of the year' material, but he certainly appears to be taking the role of 'parent' seriously. for his kids sake, i hope it's all true.
the news item that really bothered me is the report that lindsay lohan is drinking. i realize that might not be true, and i sure hope it isn't. this notion that if you're addicted to drugs that it's okay to drink alcohol is such a fallacy. numbing yourself to reality no matter what your drug of choice is the problem. okay, off soapbox.
next?

Posted by: methinks | November 28, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

-I can accept K-Fed as the better parent but no way in hell is he a "power player."

-Mel. B was robbed.

-Seriously, I didn't know Carson Daly had a show on NBC. I remember him from TRL.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 28, 2007 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Liz, it's Lauyrn Hill, not Lauren.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 28, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Where can we see Liz's tattoo? And by the way, it should be "Join Jen Chaney and ME..." not I.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

"-Mel. B was robbed"

Yes, she was! Do you think Helio has a little crush on Julianne? He acts like a little high school boy around her.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 28, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse was told to cancel her tour by her doctor. I'm thinking it was more her pharmacist.

Love how we have a crime watch -- with more than one item -- in Celebritology. Going for the 2008 calendar?

Posted by: ep | November 28, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Do you think Helio won only because Julianne is so gorgeous? No one even knows who he is. I mean, she is the bigger star, isn't she?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

actually, its Lauryn, unless its a typo, then never mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

It's not "Lauyrn", it's "Lauryn". Just sayin'.

Posted by: spell check | November 28, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, that Simpson hussy better stay away from our QB. We need him to be thinking about football, not her "shoes."

Posted by: ep | November 28, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

a photo liz's tatt was made available during gene weingarten's online chat. don't know if the link is still up in the transcript.

Posted by: methinks | November 28, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Oops, thanks. That was a typo.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 28, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Helio had a crush on her. He was like a kid with ADHD around Julianne; however, I think she found him annoying.

She and Apolo Atone Ohno ( from last year) did make a cute couple.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 28, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, I wanted to see MelB win.

Huge congradulations to Usher and Tameka!

Trust me Carson's show is nothing to write home about. I'm surprised it's still on.

What is it that K-Fed does to rank high on any list of movers and shakers? I thought he didn't have a job. I don't think he even gets paid to visit clubs.

Posted by: petal | November 28, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Please, please whatever else may happen, please do not let it be true that Britney is pregnant...please.

Who the heck is this helio person?

Posted by: sunnydaze | November 28, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

WTF?

KFed as Father of the Year?

How about the children he left with his ex, Shar Jackson? He is still ridiculous trailer park trash.

Posted by: Mandy | November 28, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, maybe this is a way to trick people into watching Carson Daly's travesty of a show. It's the worst show ever. Seriously -- it could be the only new thing on TV and i wouldn't watch it.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sure Helio had a crush on her."

What (straight) guy wouldn't have a crush on Julianne? She's gorgeous, and an athlete in her own right. I don't even like ballroom dancing and I watched DWTS most weeks, just to watch that woman groove!

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 28, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Jessica Simpson spends Thanksgiving with Dallas Cowboys' quarterback Tony Romo..."

Um, unless I'm mistaken, Tony Romo spent most of Thanksgiving in the company of 52 other large and sweaty men (the Cowboys played the Jets on national TV). And I'm fairly sure JS and her Daisy Dukes were kept far away from Romo until well after the game had ended, so as not to be a distraction.

Posted by: MisterBear | November 28, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Ok, in what universe is K-Fed a "Power Player"? So being a gold-digging, talent-less rapper, dancer, actor gets you on the cover of Details. Where's my cover?

Posted by: Whaaaaa? | November 28, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

The Osborne suicide pact is creepy. But perhaps the real question is why does it actually surprise me?

Posted by: glebe | November 28, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

OMG, sunnydaze, I am with you. I will trade next year's Christmas wish for a pony for an immediate wish that Britney Spears not be pregnant. (Already traded this year's wishing that she wasn't really adopting Chinese twins).

Also Lisa1, the Carson Daly of late-night TV doesn't even resemble TRL Carson. He's lost a ton of weight and his head stayed the same size. Now he looks like an anorexic bobble-head doll.

Finally, K-Fed. Ugh. That's all I have to say about that.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 28, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Ok, in what universe is K-Fed a "Power Player"?

Receiving any recognition in Details magazine is like being named Man of the Year in the Weekly Reader (Remember the Weekly Reader? Back in 2nd Grade?). Details is nothing but shameless metrosexual blather and poorly crafted garbage.

Posted by: niceFLguy | November 28, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I though Helio's obvious crush on Julianne was sweet. I'm not sure I agree that he annoyed her but I definitely think it was unrequited.

'Was Marie Osmond's fainting spell faked?' I really just don't think she that good an actress. She was overweight and out of shape though, people like that sometimes faint when over exerted.

Posted by: jes | November 28, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Power player? What? How does being a decent dad make him a power player?

Posted by: h3 | November 28, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Julianne is gorgeous, bubbly, and really popular, which is why I don't think it's fair that she be on the show anymore. Whoever they partner her with has a leg up.

I don't think it will be a problem much longer, because it seems she's becoming a bigger star than any of the has-beens on the show. She'll have her own show soon. She has men on their knees (including stupid 33 year old Kevin Connolly, who bought her that expensive ring) and she is only 19 years old, barely legal.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Why I know this, I don't know, but Helio is hugely popular in the Indy Car circuit, as a successful driver with a trademark victory routine (he is known as Spiderman for it). He may be getting racing fans votes? Not to downplay Julianne, of course. And also, Helio is engaged to a gorgeous woman, not Julianne.

Posted by: Indy Car Series | November 28, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

It does seem like she was annoyed with Helio, especially when he kissed her over and over again. I think she allowed it last night because she wanted a big finish.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 28, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

If he is engaged to another woman, why wasn't she in any of his pre-tapped footage, only his sister was, and why wasn't she ever in the audience? Strange. Maybe she didn't like how he was always trying to kiss Julianne... If I were his fiance, I'd be steamed.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lafred | November 28, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Carson Daly is scum. I hope this scab's ratings go even lower, if that's possible."

Whoa, dude. Did he fcuk your girl or something? Most people are indifferent about Carson Daly. What's with the hate?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Misterbear you are correct. Romo spend the entire day of Thanksgiving doing three things. 1) Arriving early at a football stadium and preparing for a game. 2.) Playing the game on a nationally televised broadcast. 3.) Being interviewed about the game. If he spend any time with Jessica it was NOT on Thanksgiving day.

Posted by: Dman | November 28, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I think they showed his sister so much because she was a professional ballerina. His fiance isn't famous (she designs jewlery, I think?)so maybe she doesn't like the limelight. I did check his bio on his racing team website (Penske Racing) and it does list him still as being engaged to someone named Ali. I also learned on that site that he is only 5'5! I didn't think he was tall, but who knew?

Posted by: Indy Car Series | November 28, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the edits, y'all. Ding dang, I cain't seem to get this whole spellin' thing down today.

Posted by: Liz | November 28, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Racecar drivers are generally smaller and ilghter, at least for the open wheel cars...and I never got the impression Julianne was annoyed by him. What's with Kevin Connolly buying her a ring though, is she actually out clubbing and stuff? She's mormon, right?

Posted by: Sigh | November 28, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The only person who has that much hate for Carson Daly is Tara Reid. I'm guessing "lafred" is someone must knows Tara.

-Please, Julianne return the ring to Kevin Connolly. He is short sleaze-bag. You can do soooo much better.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 28, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Tony Romo? Ew. Jessica might want to insist on a full battery of STD tests before she goes any further with a guy who's been with the likes of Skank Spears.

And speaking of Celebs Who Stink, I'll give up my pony too to have that pregnancy thing just be a rumor ...

Posted by: Californian | November 28, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

RE: Romo
Spent not spend. I am not as dumb as I look, (er write).

Posted by: Dman | November 28, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

lafred called carson daly a 'scab'. that's an indication of what the beef is.
carson daly is in the same category as ellen dG, as far as i'm concerned. scab. it says a lot about a person when they won't support the people who help make their shows successful.

Posted by: methinks | November 28, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

For those who are wondering about Helio C.and his fiancee, they have officially split -- according to the cover story of People:

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

MB (from yesterday): what's this about Billie Piper??

Posted by: tamerlane | November 28, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I did a quick google search and according to Wikipedia (I did not check to see if they were right) It looks like Billie Piper is joining Doctor Who again. (yay)

Posted by: I'm not MB | November 28, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I heard on the radio that Jessica's family had Thanksgiving on a different day (think it was Wednesday) especially because Tony had to play on Thanksgiving Day.

Posted by: highceediva | November 28, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that Romo went over for T'giving at some point after the game (later that day or the next day). Whatever, perhaps good ol'Joe can smack that annoying smirk off his face!

Posted by: Betty | November 28, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'd like to see Joe and Tony smack the smirks off each other's faces...they're both annoying. And then they can get to Ashlie while they're at it.

Posted by: surlychick | November 28, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

do NOT piss off surlychick.

Posted by: methinks | November 28, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What's the back story on the Fugees fight? Any info there?

Posted by: really? | November 28, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As a Skins fan, here's to hoping that Romo gets so distracted by J. Simpson's rack that he is easy prey for sackin' on the field the next time we meet at FedEx.

Geez- I didn't know Carson Daly still had a late show.

Congrats to Usher and his wife.

I think the prize of "power player of the year" should go to K-Fed's lawyers and handlers. They've done a bang-up job of convincing the public that K-Fed is father of the year when in fact he is probably marginally (by a hair or two)the better parent between he and Brit.

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 28, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to chime in, even if it's late. I think the Ellen hating needs to stop. I don't presume to know a ton about the writers' strike, but Ellen isn't selling out all the people that help her, just some (the writers). Lots of staff on these shows are getting fired, and they make a lot less than the writers. She was in part crossing the lines to work to keep them from getting fired! Someone who makes $50K a year can probably not even afford to miss one paycheck. I know 104 were fired off The Office, and Letterman is paying his people out of his OWN pocket. So, let's get off the bandwagon and be a little more understanding to Ellen. I don't think it's so black and white.

Posted by: Sigh | November 28, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

To Really? about the Fugees fight- evidently Lauryn and Wyclef were romantically involved while the group was together (and while he was married!) As is the case with most of these relationships- the two split up and I think that is when she got involved w/the father of her children (who was also married at the time to another woman). Its been rumored too that she became quite the diva and wanted to go solo after they recorded "the Score" (feat. the hit "killing me softly") Not sure what happened to her after the "miseducation of Lauryn Hill" but it would appear (based upon some of the photos where she is wearing heavy/crazy looking makeup that resembles what Bette Davis wore in "Whatever happened to Baby Jane") that she is not too stable mentally.

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 28, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Lauryn did another CD after Miseducation, it's a 2 disc Unplugged. It's really good. She also reunited with Wyclef and the other Fugee in Dave Chappell's Block Party movie, unfortunately they are not on the soundtrack. Last I heard she was involved with one of the Marley boys.

Posted by: Lauryn Fan | November 28, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

really?
Now I'm not one to gossip, so you didn't hear this from me.

Praz mentioned not ever in life joining up for the Fugees reunion on a radio show a couple months back. Not quite sure what went down. Wyclef and Lauryn had a thing when the group was together and apparently it ended. Badly. With him being married and all nothing good was going to come of it. "911"(love that song) according to Wyclef is about the ending of the affair. Some say a lot of "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" was about him. Either way, the Fugees may never do a reunion.

Posted by: petal | November 28, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize really's question was already answer when I chimed in. Oh and Lauryn is with one of the Marley's for the life I me I can't recall his name, starts with a D.

Posted by: petal | November 28, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hope Amy W can get her act together, I don't go to many concerts but I really wanted to see her, preferably sober. I guess I have to wait for Jill Scott.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

petal, there is a Damian Marley. I only know this because I have a song he did with Eve along with Stephen Marley. I had no idea there were so many of them.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll take the Britney preggers rumor w/a huge grain of salt. At the end is says 'almost four weeks' and 'I saw the ultrasound'. Can someone w/experience say whether this is actually possible.

Of course now that I've read that I have to go gouge out my eyes w/a spoon. See ya later (oh, no I won't).

Posted by: jes | November 28, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Nope not Damian. The one I'm thinking of is or was more built the last time I saw him. I don't think he's by Rita. I could be wrong but I think he and Damian have the same mom. Yeah Bob had enough kids to start a soccer team.

Posted by: petal | November 28, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

when unions are involved it is very black and white. there is the picket line. don't cross it.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 28, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

When will these celebs stop "endorsing" candidates?

They obviously live in an alternate reality because they don't realize that some endorsements will just turn some people off.

Posted by: Bored @ home | November 28, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah Bob had enough kids to start a soccer team."

Too bad Brangelina, someone else did it first. Just like the old "we'll get married when everyone get married", which had already been said by a bunch of other people, most notably Charlize Theron. Heh.

Posted by: Californian | November 28, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

TMZ has confirmed business executive Aliette Vazquez has broken off her engagement to the "Dancing" winner. Vazquez and the race car driver had been dating for more than six years and have been engaged for a year. "There have been a lot of rumors and a lot of misinformation out there," Vazquez's rep Howard Bragman tells us, and she "wanted to set the record straight."

Posted by: Hmmm... | November 28, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not from the US, and there are some cultural issues that I did not grow up with and that I don't understand. One of the issues is Unions and not crossing picket lines. The writer above said it's black and white. By saying that you are saying that, for the benefit of some writers, it's ok that some lower paid employees are being fired (for lack of work)? I really don't understand. Some people don't have the luxury of not working and not getting paid.

(this probably won't be seen as this post is from yesterday)

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse