Posted at 10:46 AM ET, 11/ 6/2007

Morning Mix: Rosie Returning to TV?

By Liz Kelly

Apologies for the tardiness of today's Morning Mix, but our blog software was experiencing massive technical malaise this morning. All is well and we'll carry on as usual. Well, almost. Today's main post will go up closer to Noon or 1 p.m. ET. -- Liz

Beyonce performs Monday in Shanghai. (AFP/Getty Images)

Headlines: Rosie O'Donnell in talks to host MSNBC primetime talk show... Oprah vows to clean house at South African school... Al Gore's daughter penning romantic comedy starring Jake Gyllenhaal... Or, she was: Hollywood machine grinds to a halt as writers strike... Katie Holmes dons heels just hours after completing NYC Marathon (but where was her bra?)... Sarah Jessica Parker not bothered by "unsexiest woman" title... Julia Roberts says she's done having kids, dreams of being a stay-at-home mom... Vogue names Queen Elizabeth one of the world's most glamorous women... Pic: Britney Spears at 50?... David Beckham plays in charity soccer game for victims of California wildfires... Talk show host Nancy Grace delivers twins two months early... Jack Wagner tops list of Hollywood's best golfers... Paparazzo sues Keanu Reeves for alleged Porsche-ramming incident... Bounty hunter Duane "Dog" Chapman won't be extradited to Mexico.

Rumor Mill: Tom Cruise to hit D.C. for "Lions for Lambs" Wednesday premiere... Victoria Beckham told to gain weight before Spice Girls tour... Star Jones Reynolds fails to turn up for teen talk... Rep denies Jon Stewart will pay writers out of his own pocket during strike... Paul McCartney romancing Bush donor?... Daughter Stella creates one-legged pendant for new jewelry collection.

Mug Shot: Shia LeBeouf

Say What?
"Why would I comment on that?" -- Angelina Jolie, when asked by a reporter how she feels about competing with Jennifer Aniston on different editions of November's W magazine cover.

Good Read:
"I can't summon any schadenfreude for Oprah Winfrey, just sympathy -- both for her good intentions and her determination to live up to them. And I pity anyone foolish enough to stand in her way." -- The Post's Gene Robinson

By Liz Kelly  | November 6, 2007; 10:46 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: A New Brangelina Baby?
Next: A Decidedly Non-Rosie Outlook

Comments

Britney won't ever have to worry about looking like that when she is 50, she'll be lucky to make it to 30.

Posted by: michael | November 6, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Good for Angelina; what a moronic question.

And Britney ALREADY looks 50. There was a pic of her on The Superficial this a.m. with her new fish lips and she looked like a used-up 50 year old prostitute. Sad.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Julia Roberts has to dream of being a stay at home mother?

Um - how many mothers who have to work to get by did you just insult?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | November 6, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

1) Is it too early to exile the spawn of Nancy Grace to a deserted island (with their mom, of course)? I think it's an important preventive measure for the health of our society.

2) Beyonce is about a centimeter away from a misdemeanor in that picture. I'm surprised China's decency police let her wear that outfit.

3) That may be the jolliest mugshot I've ever seen. Then again, if I were arrested for not leaving a Walgreens, I'd probably think it was funny too.

4) I think that Stella's one-legged pendant is funny. But that's probably because I'm an evil person.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 6, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"Is it too early to exile the spawn of Nancy Grace to a deserted island (with their mom, of course?"

I dunno about the "deserted" part - Nancy really seemed to thrive during her time on Aruba...

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

-Shia LeBeouf looks like a cute little puppy (although a wasted puppy).

-Those overweight girls were better off without Star Jones; she is a terrible role-model for girls of any size.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 6, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think in England they have to put the Queen on all the "great" lists or they get sent to the Tower.

You know a union is getting royally screwed when even I think they are justified in striking. Geez producers, a little more than 4 cents a DVD is not unreasonable. And did you really think they would buy the "Let's figure out how the new media works before we compensate you" again after what you did with DVDs? I don't think you producers are nearly as smart as you think you are.

Posted by: ep | November 6, 2007 11:23 AM | Report abuse

If you are drunk, high or just plain wasted and wish to hang out in a drugstore, try CVS. The night manager doesn't care (he makes minimum wage) as long as you don't touch the magazines.

Posted by: smokey | November 6, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

What is up w/Beyonce's legs in that picture? The right one looks huge and the left just looks deformed.

Posted by: jes | November 6, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

H'wood writers make about $200K per year. Hard to feel too bad for them.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I echo the comment about Brit and 50...that clock's ticking down way too fast. I also second Gene Robinson; why anyone would try to blame or find fault with Oprah for just trying to do some good in the world however she chose is beyond me. It makes me sick that our culture these days even allows that kind of harping. Having said that, OH YAY, another opportunity for Rosie to run a commercial endeavor into the ground! Let's check the score so far...her talk show, Harper's Bazaar, The View...can we go four for four?

Posted by: 23112 | November 6, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

What was Katie Holmes' alias? Anyone know? Something clever or just some random names. I bet we could come up with some good ones - that be a change from creative captioning: Creative Aliasing! (lol - or Dangerous Aliasons! - ok, I'll stop now)

Posted by: rachelt | November 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The Star Jones story is big news here in Detroit. One of the local investigative teams tracked her down and called her out on it.

I wish she would get fat again...and I don't mean that as a slam, she just seemed like a MUCH nicer person before she lost weight! I used to admire her, no more.

Posted by: CJB | November 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes alias was Kate Smith.

Don't be mean to Nancy Grace and "her spawn." It's not their fault that their mom is Nancy Grace. Can a baby survive at 2 lbs? It's so tiny. I hope those babies make it.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 6, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

also...at least Shia had the good sense to take a nice mug shot. Lessens the likelihood that it will be run over and over again, a al Nick Nolte, James Brown, etc.

and kudos to Stella McCartney!

Posted by: rachelt | November 6, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

How did Katie use an alias? In all the races I have run, you need to use your own name and then have your ID to pick up your registration number. They are pretty fanatical about it because they don't want runners subbing for others.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Why is Angie under Say What? Why in the world would she comment on that??? What an idiotic question.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Anon @ 11:48...are you a celebrity with millions of dollars? No? Okay then, that's why you had to use your real name.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 6, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Rosie on another talk show? Scratch my eyes out now... would rather watch a test pattern.

Posted by: vicki Pasadena, CA | November 6, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"Katie Holmes alias was Kate Smith."

ugh - how disappointing

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

$200K per year can't get you a table at Mr.Chow, dancing at Hyde or pay for your rehab stay at Promises.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 6, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

My twin newphews were both smaller than Nancy Grace's daughter and they're fine. I should add, if you are rounding 2 lbs 15 oz is one ounce of 3 lbs.

Posted by: MGC | November 6, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

"Paparazzo sues Keanu Reeves for alleged Porsche-ramming incident."

Keanu: The next time somebody tries to hold you hostage, take him/her out. Don't just slowly back out so they can sue you when the bumper touches their leg. Floor it - the accidental death lawsuit won't cost any more, and they won't be the one to collect.

Posted by: SoMD | November 6, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm having trouble undestanding why the late night shows are going to suffer during the writers' strike. Weren't all those guys (Leno, Letterman, O'Brien, et al) writers BEFORE they became late night hosts? And don't they have to come up with only the opening monologue? Surely, they can come up with their own questions to ask their celebrity guests?

Posted by: Arlington | November 6, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Not all writers make $200K a year. Most are surviving on residuals, which the producers want to cut. The producers still want to make money from reusing the work of the writers, they just don't want to pay the writers.

As for the late night talk show hosts, they are also members of the Writers Guild of America which means they are on strike, so they can't write, even for their own shows.

Posted by: ep | November 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The Queen on a most glamorous list. Really. Have the editors seen how she dresses?

I can't wait for Heather's reaction to the pendant. Who will she compare herself to this time? Mother Teresa?

Posted by: petal | November 6, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

They are writers. Writers are on strike. Therefore, they can't write, even for their own shows. Can everybody say re-runs?

On the plus side, I'll have more time to work out, instead of sitting on my sofa, stuffing potato chips in my mouth. This strike may be the best thing to happen to the fat a$$es of Americans since the Great Depression.

Posted by: Anonimis | November 6, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much work the Writers' Guild members do on reality TV? Get ready for more talent shows!

Posted by: 23112 | November 6, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

On Katie Holmes' bra: she's a small-breasted woman so is probably just wearing what a lot of women wear, a sport top with built-in shelf bra. Women's headlights can be on when they're working out ...

A pound or two? OMG, how WILL Victoria Beckham stand it?

And on the other side of the coin, Beyonce, you rock. What a beautiful woman.

I have never paid any attention to Stella McCartney before, but now I'm just gonna say she is a total b***h. How rude.

There is no way Britney's going to look half that good at 50, given how awful she looks now at 25. If she even survives to 50, which I doubt.

Posted by: Californian | November 6, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Britney at 50 is going to look like one of those 'after' pictures at Oregonlive.com's "Faces Of Meth" photo gallery.

Posted by: byoolin | November 6, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Grace's twins certainly weigh more than Marc Anthony:

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Britney @ 50? Oh PUH-LEEZE!! She looked like that a week ago!!

So the Cruises will be in town soon. Wonder if Dan Snyder will snub him or not?

Posted by: Bored @ home | November 6, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Extra's "Britney at 50" stunt was in extremely poor taste. It's not like making trashy headlines out of her life is all that challenging - yet they had to go one step further with the "it's just gonna get worse from here Brit, you'll be fat and bloated AND washed up, have a nice life!" I'm no Britney fan, but inventing nasty things to say about her is taking it a step too far, she's already doing enough to herself. If I had the motivation to do anything beside read celebrity blogs, I'd totally write Extra a stern letter.

Posted by: Omaha | November 6, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Grace's little ones can stay (they already have a little struggle ahead of them)- just send her away.

That reprehensible Star Jones can go away too- I hope the young women in Detroit get their money back. She's a selfish, uninspiring windbag.

Count me as one of many who thinks the 50 yr old acceleration pic of Brit is not so far off from her current look. I predict she'll be worse for wear if she ever makes it to 50.

Posted by: plamar1031 | November 6, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Stella McCarthy has never been a fan of Heather. From my understanding, Stella has been super protective of her father since her mother died.

Not saying her actions are right.

Hey, at least Stella did not send Heather a "leg lamp". The lamp might get more game then Heather. Who wants to be rejected for a lamp?

Posted by: unmute | November 6, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Another episode of typo-itis. "McCartney"

Posted by: unmute | November 6, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

saw that the cast of 'the office' was refusing to cross the lines and work on canned scripts... that's good - maybe the studios will buckle faster.

they're wrong on this one and everyone knows it. there are so few writers (and so many who want to BE writers) i think they figure they can break them... but if the actors wont work then maybe they'll just shut up and give em 6-8 cents on a DVD instead of the 3-4 cents they give em now...

(cousin is an a-list writer... they're concerned, but they know they have to do this...)

on the plus side - this is the best thing that's happened to SNL in a LONG time. 90 minutes of snow is a LOT funnier than the crap they've been writing

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | November 6, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Liz! You're missing THE question (for this site anyway) coming out of the writer's strike: WHAT'S THE EFFECT ON "LOST"?????!!!! We've already got to wait until February for the season to start, which puts it on a schedule to have new episodes every week. Which means there's no room for strike related delays. Updates????

Posted by: geof in baltimore | November 6, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Just now getting to read anything today beside training materials. As for Katie and her "headlights" as a runner, due to my, how can I say, "naturally enhanced size" I had wore two bras, and my headlights poked through no problem.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

half of the cast of the office are also the show's writers, so the fact that they're aren't crossing the lines to work doesn't surprise

Posted by: Anonymous | November 6, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes is wearing a bra. The outline is subtle but there. She just isn't wearing a giant stra-em-down sports bras because she doesn't have gazongas of Other Liz proportions

Posted by: Other Liz | November 7, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse