Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 11/12/2007

Morning Mix: With Kids in Tow, Brit Runs Red Light

By Liz Kelly

Dustin Hoffman lays one on co-star Natalie Portman at the premiere of 'Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium' Sunday night in New York. (Getty Images)

Headlines: Text-happy Britney Spears reportedly runs red light with kids in back seat (video)... Elisabeth Hasselbeck gives birth to baby boy and will call Monday's "View" to reveal name... Rosie O'Donnell plans online show... Kanye West's mother dies from cosmetic surgery complications... Christina Aguilera throws baby shower at her Beverly Hills home... Witnesses say O.J. Simpson did not brandish gun during alleged Vegas robbery... Amy Winehouse attends husband's court hearing... Priest accused of stalking Conan O'Brien hospitalized... ABC to air partial "Lost" season... "Terminator" tops quotable movies.

Rumor Mill: Tabloid says Spears did not fail drug test, as previously reported... Kate Hudson and Heath Ledger spotted "making out" at Hollywood club... Partying causes rift between Prince Harry and long-term girlfriend... Mick Jagger's underground swimming pool plans foiled by neighbors... "Lions for Lambs" co-stars Meryl Streep and Robert Redford not Tom Cruise fans?

Say What?
"We find it sad that Ellen spent an entire week crying and fighting for a dog that she gave away, yet she couldn't even stand by writers for more than one day." -- From a statement released by the Writers Guild of America after Ellen DeGeneres resumed work despite an ongoing writers' strike.

In Case You Missed It: Posh Spice rocks "Ugly Betty"...

By Liz Kelly  | November 12, 2007; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2007: The Year of the Celeb DUI?
Next: Comment Box: Domestic Bliss for Rachael Ray?

Comments

That's really sad about Kanye's mom. I will save my rant about unnecessary surgery for a more appropriate time. (Am I the only person who's at work and reading blogs today? Blame my employer for not giving us Veterans Day....)

Posted by: h3 | November 12, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

h3: You're not alone... *sigh*

Posted by: amah | November 12, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I have noticed a problem that last two weeks. Truly momentous celebritology events happen on weekends too. However, we have to wait until Monday to comment (snark). Now, I am not in the least implying that our dear Ms. Liz does not deserve her weekends to herself, for she truly does. But, how about a weekend celebritologists? News programs have weekend anchors, so why not Celebritology?

Posted by: ep | November 12, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

-h3, you are the only one with a cheap a#$ employer wouldn't give you Veteran's Day off.

-My deepest sympathies to Kanye West and family, hopefully, the tabloids wouldn't throw too mud at Kanye during this difficult time.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 12, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm at work too.

Posted by: bm | November 12, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: niceFLguy (contributing from home) | November 12, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Puh-leeze, ep. Celebritology is a reprieve from the sturm und drag realities of Monday-Friday workplace life. There is NOTHING being discussed here that is of such importance that it can't wait until Monday. Get a life, dude."

I second that. I am also at work. Capital One makes me work so you guys can have lower interest rates. (they paid me to say that.)

Hey, so very sad about Kanye's mother. He's so young and just becoming famous in the last few years. And she had so many more years ahead of her to enjoy watching the son she raised alone shine. It's so sudden.

A really tragic reminder that elective surgery is just as dangerous as it is unnecessary.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm at work only because I get another day of my choice off. Figured the trains are running, why not?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 12, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

1) I heart Ugly Betty with a firey passion. What an amazing show, and its sooooo good on the guest hosts.

2) That does NOT look like Natalie Portman. Not sure who it looks like exactly, but someone much much older than Natalie Portman. I heart her too, but the picture really shocked me.

Posted by: Omaha | November 12, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

So sad about Kanye's mom.

In other news:
The countdown for yet another Rosie flop begins.

Wasn't Kate Hudson dating Dax?

I think if Tom would stop trying to convert people while on set he'd gained more friends.

Posted by: petal (pleased that I'm not the only one at work) | November 12, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I just wanted to point out that Natalie Portman looks really hot in that photo where she's being kissed by Dustin Hoffman, who's 40 years her senior. Verry cool 40s glam look, Nat! (And she didn't even flinch when grandad laid one on her for the cameras.)

Posted by: MisterBear | November 12, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

me too me too! i also am at work. i think natalie looks a bit repulsed in the picture, like she doesn't want dear duston kissing her. or it could be that she was caught mid smooch herself. either way it is very akward.

Posted by: Melissa | November 12, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

"Wonder if "cosmetic surgery" was one of those stomach surgeries...So many complications with those."

Yeah...it was a tummy tuck and breast enlargment.

Actually Natalie does look a bit grossed out by the kiss.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I too am unfortunately at work.

So sad about Kanye's mom. Deaths do occur from plastic surgery complications. Surgery can be risky business.

Wow, how about that for a perfect (unintentional) transition into my comment that the fact that Robert Redford and Meryl Streep seem to strongly dislike Tom Cruise just makes me like the two of them even more. Tom Cruise is a boob.

And speaking of boobs...Britney Spears-oy vey.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 12, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I meant: "h3, you are not the only one with a cheap a#$ employer wouldn't give you Veteran's Day off."

and have to attend a boring meeting with no donuts and coffee.

Posted by: Lisa1 | November 12, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

alas, is not a stock market holiday, so here i am at work.

and i probably wouldn't check in if there were a weekend celebritologist.....

britney needs to be institutionalized. for real mental health observation, not the boutique variety.

natalie looks like she had hastily turned her head to avoid lip contact.
hope the folks on the view are enjoying their vacation from ms. hasselbeck.

i shall add ellen to my ever-growing list of "entertainers" i won't watch. picket lines should be respected and dogs shouldn't be treated like accessories.

Posted by: b | November 12, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Lisa1 - I'm glad I'm in good company. Good, "not"-forgetting company.

Posted by: h3 | November 12, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yep, I'm working too. :-(

At what point, I wonder, will Brit be forbidden from being with her kids? When someone dies? Those poor boys. I know she's spending all her money and will be bankrupt soon, but I hope someone's putting money away for the oodles of therapy those kids will need.

Kate Hudson got married way too young and now it looks like she's making up for lost time!

Posted by: Californian | November 12, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Quit your whining about having to work today. My office is open the day after Thanksgiving...beat that.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

my submission: Ellen doesn't need writers...she just buys trained monkeys with her American Express credit card. It's her life, her card.

Posted by: ex cap | November 12, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

i'll be here the day after thanksgiving too!

Posted by: bm | November 12, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | November 12, 2007 01:01 PM

New Year's Eve Day?

Posted by: WDC 21113 | November 12, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Once again, you're all missing the really important new here.....THEY'RE GONNA AIR THE 8 EPISODES OF LOST THAT ARE ALREADY IN THE CAN!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!

No comments on the rest of the column yet cause I stopped reading @ the Lost news & started dancing around the living room like a crazed Tom Cruise!!!

Posted by: Bored @ home | November 12, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who thinks it tacky that xtina threw herself a baby shower? of course, i'll just add that to the long list of tacky things about her.

Posted by: m | November 12, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Also in that Tom Cruise v. Redford and Streep piece: The writer said the upcoming film with Cruise as a Nazi has the tagline "You had me at achtung." I spit iced tea I laughed so hard.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | November 12, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

"re writers - they are WRITERS! they couldn't come up with a better one liner than that??? let's help them..."

It rhymes. What more do you want?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 12, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

m, No your right it is tacky to throw your own baby shower, last week one of the threads was all disgusted with Nicole Richie because she too is planning on throwing her own baby shower but I guess the same people from last week either dislike Nicole more or aren't on today because of the holiday.

Posted by: MLF | November 12, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Britney is a poor single mom! It seems she needs true love rather than anything else! Her profile was found on milllionaire dating site WealthyRomance.com last week!

Posted by: bigone | November 13, 2007 4:18 AM | Report abuse