Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 12/10/2007

Comment Box: Are You Smarter Than Sherri Shepherd?

By Liz Kelly

Sherri Shepard -- Why do such really stupid people get on TV while I am stuck here actually doing real work? -- Sunnydaze

I've asked myself that question before, Sunnydaze, but usually when flopped on the couch feigning a level of outrage when confronted with:

a. Another lame reality show ("America's Most Smartest Model" or "Hogan Knows Best")
b. Another Fox news reader who is all legs and no brain cells.
c. Another "Dr. Phil" episode featuring a dysfunctional family of exhibitionists who insist on further disintegrating their familial bond on syndicated television.
d. A movie trailer for blasphemous dreck like the upcoming "Alvin and the Chipmunks" reboot.
e. This.
d. Don Imus.

That's why I tend to avoid live TV and only venture in front of the grey screen to watch carefully-selected DVR content or VH1 Classic (because you can never get enough of this). But in the past year "The View," which bordered on nap-inducing in the Meredith Vieira years has become a hotbed of hot flash controversy -- Rosie. Rosie vs. The Donald. Rosie vs. Elisabeth. Rosie vs. Barbara. And, now, Sherri Shepherd's revisionist rants.

Shepherd -- who signed on as a full-time host earlier this fall -- first set off our dingbat alert back in September. While defending her non-belief in evolution, Shepherd stuttered out a non-committal reply when pointedly asked by co-host Whoopi Goldberg if the world is flat. "I never thought about it," was her devastatingly honest retort. (Video)

Last week, Shepherd took her ignorance of basic world history to a new low when she vigorously insisted that Jesus pre-dated ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus (341 - 270 BC):

But to get to your question: How is it that someone who exhibits every symptom of being a grade A dolt can land a job on one of TV's highest profile talk shows? A talk show presided over by the doyenne of TV news, Barbara Walters?

The short answer: Kathy Griffin wanted too much money.

The long answer: A little controversy goes a long way. As Barbara and co. learned during the Rosie year, ignoramuses spouting asinine opinions tend to draw eyeballs. Hence the continued success and proliferation of all the dumb TV I mentioned above. We watch to be there the second Shepherd steps in it again or provokes Joy Behar to the point of spontaneous combustion.

So, in a way, the TV execs are giving us exactly what we want: Entertainment at the expense of the truth.

Note: If none of the above has dissuaded you from seeing Sherri Shepherd as an enchanting, erudite woman, you may be interested in booking her for your next company event or history symposium.

Comment of the Week
"By the way, Liz, didn't you mean to write, 'Nancy Grace shows off newborn twins [and implicates them in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway]'?" -- Byoolin comments on Morning Mix: Kiefer Sutherland Starts Serving Jail Sentence

Pony Comment of the Week
"By the way, is it snowing in D.C.? You know what's nice in the snow? A cart drawn by a pony." -- Methinks

Creative Captioning

Friday's shot of Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley really struck the schadenfreude nerve. Apparently Botox, collagen and heroin chic don't inspire much in the way of warm fuzzy feelings. This week's winning caption, though, is on the tame side. (Oh, and we choose to believe that it was submitted by some other "K. Couric" -- perhaps Kandy or Kassandra?):

"These tarts are ready!"

To chuckle at all five winning entries, click here please. Now.

By Liz Kelly  | December 10, 2007; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Scott Baio is 46... and Married
Next: Morning Mix: Paris Hilton Comforts Injured Oompa-Loompa

Comments

I made the top 5? Wow, I'm honored :)

Pony Comment of the Week-love it!

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 10, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and yes, I am smarter than Sherri Shepherd. But she sets the bar preeeetty low.

Now, if I were repeatedly bashed over the head with a 2x4 and spent a couple of decades ingesting lead paint...I'd still be smarter than Sherri Shepherd.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 10, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

No more comment-of-the-week ringers! I say byoolin can't compete for one week!

Posted by: tamerlane | December 10, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if people like Shepard are stupid as much as simply unable to think. Part of this is deliberate self-delusion masquerading as religious faith, but part is a failure of education. Schools tend not to teach logic anymore. You know, those ironclad mathematically based rules upon which any reasonable discussion must rely. Somehow the topic has gotten a bad rep. I blame Mr. Spock

Posted by: Kly | December 10, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Let's review the qualifications of the panelists on "The View," shall we?

Baba Wawa: "Doyenne of TV News"? Not quite. Twenty-five years of lobbing flacid questions to vapid celebrities has turned her brain to mush.

Lizzie Hasselcrap: Former "Survivor" contestant, married to a third-string NFL quarterback.

Joy Behar: I have no idea.

Sherri Sheppard: Minor roles on "Everbody Loves Raymond" and "Friends." (Although, I must confess, when I first heard Sherri Sheppard was joining "The View," I thought it was that actress from "ER.")

Not an impressive array of high-wattage brain power, is it?

Posted by: Rosanna | December 10, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what I want to do, hire Sherri Shepard to speak at my organization. I can't think of how to bill that. A comedy or just a reason to feel better about ourselves when the day becomes a downer.

Posted by: petal | December 10, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I like Sherri's take on the world being flat. I like to think all my bad dates just sail of the end of the earth and cease to exist.

Posted by: anony | December 10, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I'm honoured, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks, Liz, for that, and especially for that link to 'Rapper's Delight.' It's way more cool than a pony!

Posted by: Celebritology "Comment Of The Week" Award-Winner byoolin | December 10, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Liz, a show like The View needs Sherri Sheppard-- Barbara needs co-hosts to whom she can feel (and really be) vastly superior, intellectually; the viewers need someone for the same reason (honest, are there many viewers who know *less* about the world than SS?); and the Bible belt can feel like there's "one of them" on the tube.
See? Everybody wins!
DB

Posted by: DB | December 10, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

WHO is responsible for that Verizon Wireless pony commercial? Methinks, 'fess up!

Posted by: Sasquatch | December 10, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, you blaspheme! Rapper's Delight is totally cool in a completely different way than ponies are cool. One simply cannot be more cool than the other.

And Liz, in the chat - which I missed live & had to read later - a chatter asked about the pony talk in Celebritology. You missed a golden opportunity to say, 'Hey buddy, this is the 'Post' if you don't get it you don't get it!

Posted by: jes | December 10, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Wow, who knew she was friends with Courtney Cox?

KEVIN FEDERLINE BETTER FOR THE KIDS THAN BRITNEY SPEARS
Staff and agencies
10 December, 2007

DATEline Hollywood - Britney Spears mother seems to indicate that the kids would be better off with Kevin Federline at the moment, as Britney tries to get her life back together.

Britney Spears' new album has been met with very lacklustre sales, and the one time pop diva has even been called too fat to pose for a music magazine, which put out a call for a body double.

Britney is looking for a new way to regain her fame, and reports indicate she may have approached her friend Courtney Cox about getting an acting role on Cox's new show, Dirt.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | December 10, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo makes me laugh! It might be easier to tie Sherri Shepherd down & force some book learnin' on her than to think of ways to sink to her intellectual level

Posted by: jes | December 10, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Huh...who knew Dirt was going to come back?

Posted by: 23112 | December 10, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

jes, upon reflection, I agree that I was far too harsh about the relative coolness of Rapper's Delight and a pony.

I hereby retract and wholeheartedly apologize for any offence that my insensitive choice of words may have caused. Ponies are, of course, among the very greatest of Nature's creatures and it is a very special boy or girl who receives one as a gift.

Posted by: byoolin | December 10, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

this *is* an honor! how could i ever have known that my nostalgic musings on pony-drawn carts in the DC winter would bring me such acclaim? thank you to all the other pony commenters and pony lovers world wide. and to liz who gives us this venue from which to share our...ahem..pony love.

and i had NOTHING to do w/that verizon commercial. those children are ingrates! imagine wanting some type of cell phone rather than your own scenery chewing pony!

Posted by: Celebritology Pony Comment of the Week Award Winner methinks | December 10, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"imagine wanting some type of cell phone rather than your own scenery chewing pony!"

I'd rather have the cell phone!

Posted by: dmk | December 10, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

don't forget Celebritology Pony Comment of the Week Award Winner methinks, it also bites. How cool is that?

Posted by: non celebritolodgy pony comment of the week award winner | December 10, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

ponies. just. ponies.

there's a drinking game involving sherri shepherd and if i wasn't a sleep deprived teetotaler, i'd think of it.

Posted by: b | December 10, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Okay, folks, I have a final on Wednesday. Obviously, I am not studying since I am here. I need ya'all to sink to Sherri Sheppard level of intelligence so I am not tempted to come here and ready the Pony cool, witty comments.

That includes lines like "scenery chewing pony."

Posted by: ep | December 10, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

As a liberal leaning Christian raised in the Bible Belt, I was, at first, embarrassed that Sherri Shepherd is our representative on The View. However, I made my peace and let it go since anybody who gives a fig about The View hasn't got any sense anyway (and this includes many of my Southern brethren, so I'll head that response off at the pass).

Posted by: PeachyLady | December 10, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

biting ponies = muy, muy cool, non celebritology pony comment of the week award winner.

Posted by: methinks | December 10, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"A little controversy goes a long way. As Barbara and co. learned during the Rosie year, ignoramuses spouting asinine opinions. . ."

Shouldn't that be ignorami?

I don't know how any live human being can stomach the View. I guess that means all View viewers are brain dead?

Posted by: jelo | December 10, 2007 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Celebritology FAQs

Q: Does Sherri Shepherd make my pony's butt look fat?
A: No, but she she does make your pony seem really smart by comparison.

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 10, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for the fact that she's her own worst enemy, I would feel kinda sorry for Mizz Spears. Her parents turned her over at way too young an age to a marketing machine that's left her as barely even a shell of a person. A rich shell of a person, but a shell none the less. She doesn't need a "comeback" album that she never really worked on anyway, she needs about 5-6 years out of the spotlight living in, say, Columbus Ohio before she even thinks about stepping infront of a mic again. Or maybe to just retire. Her whole career is built of a fraud anyway, and I think she knows it.

Posted by: EricS | December 10, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

next to the term "arrested adolescence" in the dictionary is brit's pic.

next to the term "child abuse" is one of whichever parent thought it was a good idea to leave their kid at DisneyWorld.

Posted by: b | December 10, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That Kelly Pickler - is she actually allowed to drive, and sign legal documents? She's an embarrassment to whatever school system that "educated" her, and passed her from one grade level to the next.

View - hey! you all are missing the point - it's a comedy/talk show:
Whoopi=comedian
Joy = comedian
Sherri = comedian - right? because, really, c'mon!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

For every Sherri, Brit, Gwyn, etc, there is a Gwen:

(yeah, I'm not studying. sosumi.)

Posted by: ep | December 10, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I watched The View for maybe 8 years, taping then TIVO-ing the show. The main attraction was "Hot Topics" where smart women sit down and talk about the issues of the day. I don't mind disagreeing with anyone as long as they state an intelligent case. I still appreciate Joy Behar and Whoopie is a lot better than I thought she'd be. They are constrained, however, in the topics selected and that's too bad. It is irrelevant now.

Sherry was funnier as a substitute but she is not educated in history, science, literature. She does not represent intelligent women and my days of watching this show are over.

I'll miss Joy and wish her good luck in dealing with this mess.

Posted by: Marcia | December 10, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I think this whole thing just proves my mother's oft-repeated maxim:

There's no money in brains.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | December 10, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

ep: hit the books. you won't regret it.

Posted by: methinks | December 10, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

everytime someone mentions 'Pony' i think of the shaved orangutan story...Would you like to know more? As for Sherri Shepherd, it all feels very 'I'd buy that for a dollar'.

(when you can reference bad Robert Heinlein and Frank Miller flicks in one post on a monday it's a win)

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | December 10, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, and the steel at the WTC didn't get hot enough to melt...

Posted by: WDC | December 10, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, apology accepted?

Lest anyone misunderstand, I do think 'Rapper's Delight' is one VERY COOL bit of nostalgia & would listen to it daily if I could.

ep - GO STUDY!

Posted by: jes | December 10, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

""I feel kinda weird doing this, but Rosie was at least smarter i nthe book sense, if less tactful, than pretty much everyone else on the show. She certainly knew how to thrown a firebomb, but at least she was never factually wrong."

Yeah, and the steel at the WTC didn't get hot enough to melt..."

Ummm....what? o_0

Seriosuly, I really don't get what you're trying to say. Rosie does at least seem to understand what "B.C" and "A.D" mean, so I don't think she could be dumped in with a lump like Mizz Sheppard.

Posted by: EricS | December 10, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

ep, pay close attention to the advice you're receiving about studying:

----

There's no money in brains.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | December 10, 2007 12:36 PM

ep: hit the books. you won't regret it.

Posted by: methinks | December 10, 2007 12:36 PM

----

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Posted by: byoolin | December 10, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

so if niceFLguy's in the boca raton area, i'm just sayin . . .

Posted by: niceFLgirl | December 10, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Rosie claimed that the WTC fire couldn't have caused the collapse, because she thinks steel doesn't melt.

Posted by: 23112 | December 10, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

you know what, I do not feel sorry for Brit Brit - there are so many people who have a lot less than she does, and they struggle.

Poor little thing had the world, obscene amounts of money and every door open to her.

That she appears (and I do say appears) to be a poor excuse for (possibly even an abusive) mother, absolutely steams me.

Give it all to the single parents struggling out there to do their very best for their kids. Or to those organizations that struggle to try to make sure children have some food to eat.

Her pity parade and anyone who feels sorry for her really ought to focus on those who deserve some help and attention.

Bah humbug.

PS i want a pony too.

Posted by: lurker | December 10, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepard proves that Dean Wormer was wrong. You can go through life drunk and stupid.

Posted by: NYC | December 10, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Rosie never factually wrong? Calling our US troops,no matter where they are is factually wrong. She should have been exiled for that comment.

Posted by: Sharon | December 10, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

left out terrorists the most important word. Our US troops are not terrorists. They are the main reason Rosie and all other View members can say what they want.

Posted by: Sharon | December 10, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

niceFLguy, is the corollary FAQ question to yours:

Q: Should we say hello to the pony's little friend?
A: Only if you're waiting for the adrenalin spike.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 10, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

niceFLgirl: My parents are in Delray Beach. I, however, am in Maryland.

C-villeMom:
We only say hello to pony's little friend when we're sure the Earth isn't flat.

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 10, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

ep,

If you study hard and get a degree, then you, too, can say that you are qualified to get numerous tattoos and to make snarky remarks about celebrities.

However, if you want a pony, you must get a lobotomy, maybe even a sex change, and become a panelist on The View.

Posted by: Sasquatch | December 10, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepard is a smart person with some gaps of ignorance.

All of us have gaps. Maybe not the same ones as Sherri's but we still have them.

I hope she doesn't let all of this public beat-down get to her.

If Sherri never talked about her faith but instead about say a former drug addiction, she wouldn't be facing this criticism now.

This gives people an excuse to try and silence her.

Joy is the stupid one, IMO, but because Joy always stays within a knee jerk predictable left of center agenda, she doesn't get called on her ignorance.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Not knowing whether the earth is flat or round isn't "a gap of ignorance", it's material for a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and thinking that JC & Christians came before everything else is - how do I put this delicately - just plain dumber than a wet paper bag full of hammers.

Posted by: byoolin | December 10, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Sherri Shepard is a smart person with some gaps of ignorance."

Sorry, 2:19pm, but a smart person with some gaps of ignorance would know the Earth is not flat. Ms. Shepherd's intellect is better characterized as a pebble of smart, sitting at the bottom of a Grand Canyon of ignorance.

Posted by: MisterBear | December 10, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

If an independent entity were to catalogue all of the utterances that came out of the mouths of The View's panelists and compare them for stupidity, I don't think any of them would be exempt from having made the occasional ignorant remark. And not just occasional. They have all, at times, been off-the-wall in their comments and their grasp of certain facts.

Sherri is being marginalized because her constant references to her faith rub moral relativists the wrong way.

Sherri is not stupid. She

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I would put up those remarks of Sherri's for which she is being raked over the coals and compare them to some of Tom Cruise's Scientology statements.

And yet Tom Cruise has never been accused of being stupid.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

gaps of ignorance?? you've gotta be kidding. there are actual photographs, visual evidence, of the non-flatness (AKA roundness) of the earth.
sherri shepherd does herself and her faith no favors when she spouts stupid, baseless comments.

Posted by: methinks | December 10, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

She said she didn't know if the world was flat, she said that Christians predated everything. Ok, if she isn't stupid, then she is sorely uneducated. This is basic stuff learned in grade school. Its obvious she doesn't know her faith all that well either, which is even worse. How can you believe in something when you don't even know what you're believing in. (I know that's grammatically incorrect, but it pretty much says what I want).

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

And yet Tom Cruise has never been accused of being stupid.

Posted by: | December 10, 2007 02:55 PM

You're obviously new to this blog.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

hahaha! wtg, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: methinks | December 10, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

And yet Tom Cruise has never been accused of being stupid.

Posted by: | December 10, 2007 02:55 PM

Tom Cruise is a shrimpy dunce.

how's that?

Posted by: jelo | December 10, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, saying Jesus Christ predated everything means she hasn't read the Bible or even listened when Bible passages are read in church.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 10, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't necessarily believe Ms. Sherri is stupid; however, I don't think she fits in well with the flow of the show. To tell you the truth, I miss Star Jones. She was witty, very intelligent, and would always engage in a strong "argument".

Posted by: Reese | December 10, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

First, I am greatly honored that my question spurred this great discussion. I wish I had been here earlier, but alas, I had to do actually do some work...My stand on this is still the same - Someone this stupid should not be allowed to speak out loud, much less on national tv.

There have been so many funny comments that I nearly choked on my pretzels, and if that happens, who would take care of the pony that I KNOW Santa is bringing this year???

Kelly Pickler went to secondary school in Stanly County, North Carolina. It is a VERY economically challenged (dirt poor), rural area. Mr. Sunnydaze taught high school math in that school system (not Kelly herself) and had to teach high school students how to use a ruler, how to read a gas gauge, and other Duh! type information - it's a travesty that these kids can graduate and not know anything.

ep - if you are still hanging around in here, go study! Just slog it out, it'll all be over soon!

Cheers!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 10, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

'...how do I put this delicately - just plain dumber than a wet paper bag full of hammers.'

'Tom Cruise is a shrimpy dunce.

how's that?'

Thank you to byoolin & jelo who made my last minute-end of day visit well worth the paid of water snorting from my nose.

I think Sherri Shepherd has a very pleasant manner that is obviously masking some major deficiencies. You can not continally call yourself a Christian & spout your 'views' and not know basic things like when JC showed up to the party. You will not be taken seriously nor should you be. I don't care how otherwise smart you are and I don't think this is an attack on Christians as the anonymous poster at 2:19 seemed to think.

Posted by: jes | December 10, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

32112, thanks, that one I either hadn't heard, or didn't remember, and I dont' rememebr what she said after that. But that's still pretty dumb. Not quite "B.C. vs after B.C." dumb, but close. And I think she did apologize for that "terorist" thing. And that's a semantic debate I don't want to get into right now.

Plenty of people have said that Tom Cruise is a few cans short fo a stack.

Posted by: EricS | December 10, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

How is it that SS is qualified to feed her child without the minimal education required to know whether or not the world is flat? She should be standing in a welfare line to get her kid food, not sitting on a set on daytime television.

Posted by: L L L | December 10, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm in Delray Beach, too. I'll be sure to think of your parents the next time an elderly driver cuts me off. If you're ever in the area and single, we can have lunch at Cafe Luna Rosa at the intersection of Atlantic and A1A. On me! If you're not single, we'll go dutch.

Posted by: niceFLgirl | December 10, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Liz, how should Sherri Shepherd know whether or not the earth is flat? She doesn't have time for astrology.

Posted by: Upper Marlboro, MD | December 10, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, niceFLgirl, that's very kind of you. I'll keep your offer in mind, when next I'm down visiting the folks.

And they're too polite to cut off other drivers; they just drive really slow. Lol

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 11, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse