Posted at 7:40 AM ET, 12/19/2007

Morning Mix: 16-Year-Old Jamie Lynn Spears Pregnant

By Liz Kelly

Woody Allen and Colin Farrell attend a screening of their new movie 'Cassandra's Dream' in New York. (AP)

Headlines: 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears pregnant... Publication of Lynne Spears's parenting book delayed indefinitely... British pop star Lily Allen also expecting first child... Stars may skip awards shows as writers strike continues... Matthew McConaughey injured on set... Eminem's mom pens tell-all book... Peter Jackson to direct produce "The Hobbit"... Brad Pitt says he and Angelina Jolie plan on 7 - 9 kids... Chris O'Donnell and wife welcome fifth child... Black Eyed Pea Fergie named Blender's Woman of the Year... Michael Douglas is the new voice of NBC newscast... Edward Norton follows Brad Pitt in quitting "State of Play"... David Hasselhoff and ex-wife settle custody dispute... Stephen Stills diagnosed with prostate cancer... Pam Anderson takes hi-tops to an unfortunate extreme... Carmen Electra goes blonde.

Crime Watch: Amy Winehouse arrested on suspicion of obstructing justice... Erik Estrada's son removed from flight by FBI agents... Former Roc-A-Fella honcho Damon Dash hit with sex lawsuit.

Rumor Mill: Jessica Simpson hopes to star in "Pretty Woman" remake... Lindsay Lohan spending all her time with new gal pal... The baby boom continues -- "Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino expecting, too?

'Lost' Book Club: Join Jen Chaney and me at Noon ET for a discussion of the December selection, "A Wrinkle in Time."

By Liz Kelly  | December 19, 2007; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clip N' Save: Saving Pam Anderson's Marriage
Next: Jamie Lynn Spears, in the Family Way

Comments

So Jessica Simpson's father "has been telling anyone who will listen that she's the next Julia."

So he'll be playing the Richard Gere role, then?

Posted by: byoolin | December 19, 2007 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Now I kind of want to read the Lynne Spears parenting book. I'll just assume that everything they say to do I'll do the opposite of.

Posted by: MGC | December 19, 2007 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Publication of Lynne Spears's parenting book delayed indefinitely [in order to allow the editors time to insert a paragraph disclaiming any responsibility for whatever consequences may occur to persons following advice given in the book]."

Posted by: byoolin | December 19, 2007 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Between Lynne Spears and Joe Simpson, people can be forgiven for thinking that 'raised by wolves' occasionally looks like a good parenting option.

Posted by: byoolin | December 19, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

All I can think about is Gordon Gecko trying to introduce Brian Williams now. Its going to be one of those days I just know it.

Posted by: michael | December 19, 2007 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I simply cannot generate any schadenfreude over Jamie Lynn Spears. In interviews she seems so mature and intelligent. How could an upper income, educated young women in the 21st century have an unplanned pregnancy? This is just sad.

Posted by: Kly | December 19, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

While I have no complaints about Russell Crowe replacing Brad Pitt - the only person who could replace Edward Norton would be Gary Oldman. Ben Affleck is just wrong IMHO.

Posted by: BeachGirl | December 19, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Lynne Spears will be spending much of this season in her cups, occasionally looking skyward and crying "Why? Why? Where did I go wrong???"

Posted by: akmitc | December 19, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Liz, Peter Jackson has agreeded to produce, not direct, the two hobbit films. I hope he will agree to direct in the future, but for now it's just good he is involved.

Posted by: MGC | December 19, 2007 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Will someone please explain to Lynne Spears that people do have sex before 11pm

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 19, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

You can take white trash out of the trailer park, put them in a multi-million dollar mansion, but as Brit Brit has proven, they are still white trash.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Jamie Lynn plans to raise the baby in her home state of Louisiana _ "so it can have a normal family life.""

...And where 16 year old unwed mothers are apperently more numerous and the standards not so high... ugh and I'm from Louisiana...
ugh, I say!!

Posted by: PGM | December 19, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh. My. God. It's like the freaking Beverly Hillbillies on crack.

Posted by: atb | December 19, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this means in 16 years one of the Pitt-Jolie clan will interbreed with the Spears clan since they all live in the same state now. Nah...the Pitt-Jolie kids are far too classy and already better educated.

Posted by: PGM | December 19, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Let's just hope Jamie Lynn doesn't go to her mother or her sister for parenting advice.

What's sad is that at least Britney was married when she had her kids, but that still doesn't make her the responsible one.

Who'd thunk that the rise in teenage pregnancy would include a star of a Nickelodeon tv show.

Posted by: d | December 19, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Publication of Lynne Spears's parenting book delayed indefinitely...
Ow, Ow! Coffee hurts when it comes out of my nose...

Oh that Fergie, what a lady...any idea what the "Blender" woman of the year award is based on? bad language? bad fashion choices? lady lumps?

Hmmm, looks like State of Play is in a state of flux

EWWW! Pretty Woman was bad enough the first time without Jessica Simpson goofing it all up on a second round. That movie does NOT need to be remade, even with a real actress!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 19, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Man, I was waiting for the Lynn Spears book on parenting. I planned to rely heavily on that when I become a mom.

How do you release news of a pregnancy to a tabliod mag? I mean something about that apart from her being a teen, unwed and pregnant for a 19 year old, feels off about that.

It's a baby explosion in the entertainment industry, now Lily Allen. Congrats!

Chris and his wife only now have a 5th child? I thought they were at 6 or 7 by now. Anywho, congrats!

Suspicion of obstructing justice. Come on now I'm sure the law can find tons of other things to arrest Winehouse on. Something involving a pipe comes to mind.

I never thought I'd type this but, I am strongly considering giving up any hopes of a pony for My B-Day, Christmas, New Years and any other day; if the Pretty Woman talk remains a rumor and Jessica gives up acting.

Posted by: petal | December 19, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I can't judge any 16 year olds for schtupping around but my understanding is that Jamie Lynn and her 19 year old boyfriend lived together. In what world, devoid of reason and good sense, is that okay?

Posted by: DJ | December 19, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Jamie Lynn, that kid is never going to have a normal life. Having a kid at 16 is just redneck stupid.
I hope Lynne puts a chapter on birth control in her book, or maybe includes a free package of condoms on the title page. But she probably never figured it out for herself.

Posted by: POS | December 19, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"In what world, devoid of reason and good sense, is that okay?"

Apparently, the Spears family world.

Posted by: 23112 | December 19, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else who saw the 'Jamie Lynn pregnant' headline right above the the picture of Woody Allen think to him/herself, "I didn't even know he and Soon-Yi had broken up"?

Posted by: byoolin | December 19, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

how old is the spears' boyfriend? if he's over 18 isn't that statutory rape? If i were her mom and that was the case; i'd bust his butt up on rape charges!!!!

Posted by: NALL92 | December 19, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"How could an upper income, educated young women in the 21st century have an unplanned pregnancy? This is just sad"

This comment is very much a generalization. Even if one takes all of most careful precautions to avoid pregnancy - birth control, condoms, etc. - nothing but abstinence is 100% foolproof. It's impossible to judge this young woman as irresponsible when we don't know the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy. Unfortunately for her, everyone will draw conclusions based on her family.

I have to say that I feel for Jamie Lynn. She's so young and obviously doesn't have the best example set for her by her sister. I really hope she's able give her child a somewhat healthy, normal life. The chances may be slim, but I'm still routing for her. And her sister, regardless of how far down she's gone. Although I love celebrity gossip, I don't take pleasure in seeing anyone struggle.

Posted by: Noelle | December 19, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Byoolin, that's nasty. Brilliant, but nasty.

I just feel bad for Jamie Lynn Spears. Poor kid never really had a shot growing up in that household. But seriously, young ladies of America: birth control is your friend. Use it, love it, rely on it. If you do not want to become a mother in the next 9 months, get on the G-D pill!

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 19, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

NALL92-16 is the age of consent in a lot of states. I'm not saying it's OK, but it's probably not illegal.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 19, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

PGM, I have a feeling the next generation of the Pitt-Jolie clan will be adopting the next generation of the Spears' clan.

Liz, the concurrent headlines are classic! I give you: Jamie Lynn Spear Pregnany...Lynne Spears' Parenting Book Delayed Indefinitely and Brad Pitt says he and Angelina jolie plan on 7 - 9 kids... Chris O'Donnell and wife welcome fifth child

Posted by: cee_jay | December 19, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

'It's impossible to judge this young woman as irresponsible when we don't know the circumstances surrounding her pregnancy.'

Um, she's 16 and pregnant, a pretty avoidable situation I think many would find it easy to judge. This doesn't mean we don't feel bad for her and the future baby.

Posted by: jes | December 19, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, that was a naughty goody comment. I went into sixth-grader mode of "ewwwwww."

Then, the thought the crossed my mind with Woody Allen and Collin Farrell picture and today's title ---> "Who's the Daddy?"

Posted by: unmute | December 19, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

My 11 year old son, very tongue in cheek, said she should give the baby to her very responsible older sister to raise!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 10:25 AM | Report abuse

EVERY pregnant 16 year old is a sad situation.

Posted by: Kris | December 19, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Liz - Thanks for the picture of Colin Farrell! I've been crushing on him since he guest-starred on Scrubs!

Posted by: jlr | December 19, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Britney Spear's young sister is pregnant. Isn't that a punchline that writes itself? Especially with the elder Mizz Spear's book no being "delayed"?

I'm assuming by "delayed" they mean "we're pulping every single one of them and destorying the master copies, the computer files and Lynn Spear's computer, just to be safe."

Posted by: EricS | December 19, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo, you are quite correct that in many states 16 is the age of consent, however in Louisiana, Criminal Code sec. 14-80 states,
Felony carnal knowledge of a juvenile is sexual intercourse with consent between (1) someone age 19 or older and someone between age 12 and 17 or (2) someone age 17 or older and someone between age 12 and 15.
And the punishment is up to 10 years in prison with or without hard labor (hard labor is HARD ya'll!)

So, yes, he is apparently guilty of statutory rape. However, the state usually doesn't prosecute these cases without some complaint from the child or parent or such. In this case, what good would it do to put the father of the child in prison for 10 years? All that would do is 1) punish a kid (yeah, I think 19 is still a kid as a practical matter) for doing something most kids that age do and 2) deprive the baby of his father - irresponsible on the birth control issue as he may be, we have no reason to believe this young man won't be a model father to this baby and I think we can all agree that children benefit from having both parents in their lives rather than just seeing Daddy at visiting hours (which at Angola prison, where this guy would probably serve, are wed-sun 8a - 3p).

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 19, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

FYI - Diane Reem show on NPR is discussing this book right now.

Posted by: A Wrinkle in Time | December 19, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

pursing statutory rape charges for consensual sex is a waste of time, justice, and taxpayer money. not to mention just downright vindictive.

Posted by: g | December 19, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Let's take a break from the Jamie Lynn comments. Pam's shoes look like wrestling shoes (real wrestling, not WWE).

And my only comment on the Simpsons is to check out Arcade Fire's "(Antichrist Television Blues)" from their (excellent) album Neon Bible.

Posted by: NY, NY | December 19, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Rich, prety, white, teen girl pregnant. That's so 80's, I thought we were done with that. What's next, a remake of Less Than Zero?

Posted by: Moxiemom | December 19, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

As I am typing this, I kid you not, Bill Hemmer just referred to the Spears clan as a "train wreck of a family."

Posted by: ep | December 19, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Lynne Spears allows her 16-year-old daughter to move in with a man, then announces she's surprised the girl is pregnant? Is this mother dumb as dirt?

Posted by: Bridget | December 19, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Bridget-in a word, yes.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 19, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

This happened in Georgia, a 17 year old honor student was sentenced to 10 years in prison (since overturned, he is now free) for consensual sex with a 15 year old (oral). Not that I think teenagers having sex is a good thing, especially since we have a backward*ss administration that does not believe in comprehesive sex education, but this is criminalizing teenagers for having sex with other teenagers. If we are going to have laws protecting children, they need to be more realisitic.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Since the Spears thing as been discussed at length I'll go with the writer's strike & the Golden Globes.

Am I the only one that's happy about this? Let's face it, the Golden Globes aren't the most reputable awards. I think 3 guys in Istanbul vote on them or some such nonsense, though they seem to carry a lot of weight anyway & I'm not sure when or how that happened.

I won't miss the whole red carpet fashion-don'ts & commentary, the lame speecheds & the cutting off of said speeches, the bad host jokes, not gonna miss any of that at all.

I'm sure there's more than a few designers freaking out over their lack of free publicity but that don't confront me.

But if this effects the Oscars, then I may feel differently, cause I luuuuves me some Oscars!

Posted by: Bored @ home | December 19, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Jamie-Lynn has been overdone (pun intended), so let's move on.

remaking a movie that glamorizes being a prostitute is NEVER a good idea. It is an even worse idea to have the Simpson breasts in it.

I don't care if you can afford 7-9 kids, if you are just collecting them to show your dad what a good parent you are, you need professional help. Also, they won't marry anyone because those children would have to actually stay in one place long enough to meet other kids and form relationships.

Posted by: ep | December 19, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

the jamie lynn story is just sad. that's a tough spot to be in no matter what your financial situation.

that said, on to pam anderson (gosh pam, your space nikes are totally rad!) and carmen electra aka 'blonde does not become electra.' those two gals are looking worse and worse every time their picture is taken.

Posted by: methinks | December 19, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

how bad is the carmen electra photo, I can't see it because of my company's websense...dagnabbit.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

well, 12:09, her hair is straight, a sort of dirty blonde, her skin tone is completely washed out, she has on bright red lipstick, looks like she has circles under her eyes, and still has enough cleavage to share with every one in the room.

Posted by: methinks | December 19, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

And now for a snark of a different flavor: I had to laugh a little when I read the article about Erik Estrada's son, altho I am sure that his odd behavior was truly frightening for his fellow passengers.

What tickled me was how Eric was quoted as saying "Brandon informed us recently that he has had 'stress' and 'pressure' at college..." Did they raise the kid in a cotton ball? If you don't have stress and pressure, you're not getting your money's worth!

Also amusing was how the reporter acknowledged Eric as someone who "frequently starred in "CHiPS" and who trains as a cop on the CBS reality show "Armed and Famous," as if the latter show were still alive and kicking (in someone's dreams, maybe.)

Posted by: pixie radiance | December 19, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

BeachGirl, don't tease me! I was so hoping with the replacement of Brad Pitt that it wouldn't outright suck the way I've been expecting ever since the project was announced, but one cannot replace Ed Norton with Ben Affleck in a serious project.

*sigh* Maybe it won't actually get made at all and I can live in my world of John Simm and David Morrissey and James McAvoy before he suddenly turned famous without people confusing it for American rubbish.

Posted by: MB | December 19, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice legal research, sunnydaze, but wrong. the act/crime didn't occur in LA (the state), but rather in L.A. (or somewhere in Cali), where the Youngest Spears Trainwreck was living while filming her crapfest Disney/Nickolodeon show. The Louisiana statute doesn't apply.

Posted by: Not so fast... | December 19, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

When did a baby become the new must-have accessory for celebs? And when did birth control become something to avoid at all costs?

Jamie Lynn Spears, go back to 5th grade, which is where I learned about the birds and the bees and what can happen when you have SEX!

I can't even read the rest of Celebritology today, I'm so nauseated by the tsunami of reproduction from the most unsuitable train wrecks in the world.

Why does Brad Pitt keep harping like every week on how many kids he and the duplicitous harlot plan to have? Who cares?

Posted by: Californian | December 19, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Any speculation on the title of Lynn Spears' parenting book?

How about, "I Mama'ed A Pair of Low-Rent, Starstruck Cash Cows - And So Can You!"

Posted by: MisterBear | December 19, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps more pertinent to the Spears case: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#California

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Any speculation on the title of Lynn Spears' parenting book?

I prefer "Crazy Rich: The Greedy Psycho's Guide to Brainwashing Your Children, Pimping Them to Hollywood, and Reaping the Financial Rewards".

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 19, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Mama Spears is getting some long-overdue karmic payback at this point. Are these two train wrecks the only Spears kids, or are there more?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 19, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

It is illegal to have sex with anyone under 18 in California, even if the partner is also under 18 - unless the couple is married.

Posted by: california lawyer | December 19, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Bored @ Home - I totally agree with you regarding the Golden Globes. I heard they were cancelled and my only thought was 'meh'. I won't miss the self-love fest one bit.

Posted by: Magnolia | December 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Ah, mea culpa
I just assumed the deed was done when she was at home in La. rather than in L.A. since the young man is supposedly her high school boyfriend...at any rate, according to california lawyer, it's still statutory rape under the Cali laws and my position is still that it's stupid to prosecute statutory rape cases in consensual situations. I agree with anon at 11:31 that child protection laws should be more realistic, and with g that it's a waste of time, money, justice, etc.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 19, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Whilst I enjoy a good snark as well as the next person, perhaps Liz should screen her postings better. Erik Estrada is fair game, but I think his son is not. Liz and Pixie Radiance should google the terms psychotic break and schizophrenia and then see if that article about Estrada's son brings the giggles so much.

Posted by: delurking in dc | December 19, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Delurking in dc:

I agree. I've never even heard of Erik Estrada's son, but even if he were Britney - this is someone getting treatment and who has not been some sort of limelight seeker. I think the son is a private person, not some one who should be mocked in celebritology.

Posted by: Amelia | December 19, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse