Posted at 7:40 AM ET, 12/13/2007

Morning Mix: Crowe and Kidman Top List of Overpaid Celebs

By Liz Kelly

John C. Reilly arrives at the premiere of his new movie, 'The Dewey Cox Story,' on Wednesday in Los Angeles. (Reuters)

Headlines: Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe named most overpaid celebs... Golden Globe nominations to kick off awards season... Writers strike may dampen star power of Globes and other awards shows...
Brangelina named Us Weekly's couple of the year... Paris Hilton, Alec Baldwin make Time's list of "Most Awkward Moments of 2007"... Ike Turner dead at 76 | Gallery... Liza Minnelli collapses on stage in Sweden... Author Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's... Britney Spears a no-show at scheduled custody case deposition... Hilary Swank takes 45 "supplements" every day... Marie Osmond dances her way into talk show gig... Beckhams visit Las Vegas strip club... Lock of John Lennon's hair sells for $48,000... Tween sensation Miley Cyrus extends concert tour into 2008... Rosanne Cash recovers from brain surgery... Timothy Busfield's wife files for divorce... Crime Watch: Rocker Scott Weiland officially charged with DUI... Shia LaBeouf's trespassing charges dropped.

Rumor Mill: Eva Longoria and Tony Parker deny model's claim of a September affair with Parker... Tabloid claims Britney Spears eloped again... Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn clashing on set of new film.

Say What?
"Tom likes me in a suit and a mini every now and then. I like it when he likes it. It makes me blush." -- Katie Holmes, on what turns on husband Tom Cruise.

Chat Day: Grab the canned champagne and join me live at 2 p.m. ET for the second to last Celebritology Live discussion of the year.

By Liz Kelly  | December 13, 2007; 7:40 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paris Peddles Her Party Girl Rep
Next: Catching Up With Dave Navarro

Comments

This is from the front page of ajc.com.

Posted by: GA girl | December 13, 2007 8:47 AM | Report abuse

GA girl, I'm crushed

Posted by: John Hinckley, Jr. | December 13, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The Pratchett news is just horrible. To know that such a gifted and creative individual is going to go through this is so sad.

Posted by: MGC | December 13, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

I was going to say that picking Brangelina for best couple is a cop out but then reading that quote from "Kate" about Tom made me feel woozy and I couldn't think of a good alternative any more.

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 13, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Gross. I wish I could un-read the details of "Kate" and Tom's sex life.

Posted by: KG | December 13, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Type A's of the world unite! Vince Vaughn s*****!

Posted by: Kelli | December 13, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I feel quite ill after reading about "Kate" and Tom. Ugh.

Posted by: glebe | December 13, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I think it's kind of sad that Ike's death is only the sixth item on today's list. Sad for who exactly...I'm not sure.

Posted by: Omaha | December 13, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, Tom liking Kat(i)e in a suit and a mini (perhaps at the same time) may make her blush but knowing that makes me vomit.

Posted by: Magnolia | December 13, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

*the marie osmond show?? i blame ABC for putting her on DWTS. i'm so sick of her...

*in the pic of david beckham (and, oh yeah, posh) that accompanied the strip club story his clothing is perfect. too perfect, too studied..as if he was sitting in the limo and said, "i think i need to pull out the shirt on this side, and maybe loosen the tie a little, what do you think?" he's a good looking specimen. i just wish i didn't get the impression he looks in the mirror an awful lot.

*andrew guiliani: what an ingrate! after all the front row seats at yankee games/world series, after all the times he got to be on letterman...and now this. i guess all he really wanted was an intact family and the knowledge that his father loved him. some kids. they want it all.

Posted by: methinks | December 13, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes, you put me off my cheerios this morning. Ick.

Posted by: boutros23 | December 13, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

What I REALLY loved about the "Kate" comment is Tom follows up "You look really good" with "I'm glad security is going with you."

I hate to admit it, but I think the brainwashing is complete. She may be by his side until the very end. And by "the very end" I mean until the mother ship beams them all back up.

Posted by: Omaha | December 13, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I think Tom prefers suits over skirts. Period.

Posted by: ncmojo | December 13, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't think that thanking "my beautiful Cydney" qualifies as coming out. I refer to several of my friends as beautiful or lovely or darling and it has no other meaning than just that. Maybe if she had said my beautiful partner or lover or girlfriend or something... So, I think whether or not Jodie Foster is gay is 1. still unknown, 2. not anyone's business but hers and 3. not relevant to the fact that I love her.

RIP Ike Turner. I certainly don't excuse anything that he did to Tina (or anyone else), but I am glad that he got the grammy before he died.

I can totally see Reese as a type A and driving Vince crazy - that is funny, I hope the movie is...

Kat(i)e - please keep your sordid details to yourself.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 13, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

-"Vince rolls onto set in the morning looking like he just came in from a night out"

I support Reese on this one. I have seen pictures of Vince Vaughn after a night and it is not a pretty sight, and he probably came to the set smelling bad. Reese is trying to be professional and Vince is just old frat boy. Poor Reese.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 13, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

ncmojo hit the proverbial nail on the head. katie and tom are just trying to convince us they're regular folks. they're not. they're scary.

Posted by: frieda | December 13, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Kat(i)e & Tom, ick. Really, that's all I feel when I see their names.

I forgot how damaging to the psyche it can be to read the comments on the US site whenever they mention Brad & Angie. Hoo boy that's some slap fight going on over there.

Good Morning Liz Kelly.

Posted by: jes | December 13, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Since I've read Joe Orton's journal, I think I can imagine what Tom "likes." However, what really scares me is what Katie likes. And I can't help but wonder what "pictures" were placed in the birthing room. Cats? Mummies? Flying saucers?

Posted by: POS | December 13, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

How do you wear a suit and a mini at the same time? I'm really confused.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 13, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing it would look something like this: http://www.tutu.com.au/images/products/product_74.jpg

Posted by: omni | December 13, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Suit with a shortest skirt possible, and wore with a pair of stilettos (preferably black). Remember the Fox show "Ally McBeal", she wore suits with mini to the office and to the courtroom.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 13, 2007 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I was so sorry to hear that about Terry Pratchett. I got to hear him speak at the National Book Festival (which better continue). He is even funnier in person than in his books.

Britney -- hung over and drugged out does not constitute a "medical condition" sufficient to letting the court give you a pass on missing your depo.

Posted by: ep | December 13, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps by having Kat(i)e wear both a suit and a mini, Tom feels he's getting the best of both worlds, male and female.

Posted by: Magnolia | December 13, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

ep, i don't want to sound like your mom or something but have you finished your finals?

Posted by: methinks | December 13, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Lisa1 even better: http://www.fox.co.uk/content/fox_films/10725/images/HE_5_AllyMcbealSeason4.jpg

Posted by: omni | December 13, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Methinks, yes. It was last night (horrible, yuck, ick. Worse than hearing about Kat and Tom's love life). I have a paper due that is 85% done, so I can occassionally hang here today as a study break.

No pony for the WAPO people who made it harder to get to Celebritology.

Posted by: ep | December 13, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

All I have to do is mentally Photoshop the cruiser out of the picture, and I like the Katie Holmes image very much indeed. Sorry.

Posted by: 23112 | December 13, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

speaking of ponies....and even if no one was here on the blog, you KNOW someone, somewhere in the world is speaking of ponies. i wonder if we could give some sort of pony rating system to celebrities. 0 ponies being the lowest, 4 ponies being the highest.
for example, there were several people who thought julia roberts deserved a pony (i wasn't one of them) but overall, i would say that the final give and take of commentary would have awarded ms. roberts 2 ponies.
there are some celebs who run the risk of going into negative ponies (a certain canned champagne shill comes to mind). people of that ilk would have to go through a major transformation in order to merely qualify for a pony.
i am beginning to see nicole richie in this light. i never would have thought she was deserving of a pony, but i've been impressed by both her largesse (foundation, giving gifts to expectant moms in need) and her large belly--keep the baby weight, kid, it suits you. should ms. richie keep up this restoration/reclamation, she could find a pony next to her name this time next year.
just a few thoughts...

Posted by: methinks | December 13, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Well put, Sunnydaze. That's exactly why I've been ignoring the Jodie Foster story all week.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | December 13, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

you're awesome liz kelly.
ponies for you and sunnydaze.

Posted by: methinks | December 13, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

wait, what kind of suit?

Posted by: not bluto | December 13, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

like a wet suit? a monkey suit? im imagining a chicken suit.

Posted by: not bluto | December 13, 2007 11:32 AM | Report abuse

maybe a Martian suit...

Posted by: ncmojo | December 13, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Life imitates art for Liza - in "Arrested Development" her character had terrible (and hilarious) vertigo.

Liz Kelly, you should start an office pool or do a poll about how long we think it will take the judge to find Ms. Spears in contempt of court and throw her in the hoosegow.

Posted by: byoolin | December 13, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Dear Hilary Swank: there are plenty of 33-year-old women around who look as good as - or better - than you do, and most of them are *not* taking that many pills, 'supplements' and injections. We can only assume, therefore, that your regimen is intended as an attempt to (a) live forever; (b) make a few extra bucks in clinical medicine trials, or ; (c) assist in your impending gender reassignment surgery. Please tell us the truth and we promise to support you in your brave efforts!

Posted by: byoolin | December 13, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm imagining a Xenu suit and for some reason I imagine it looking like Jabba the Hut (but that my be because I once saw a picture of L. Ron Hubbard and immediately thought "hey, he looks like Jabba the Hut!")

Posted by: Magnolia | December 13, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, another pool is how long Britney would serve in jail... Can she best the Nicole Richey record?

Posted by: BDWESQTM | December 13, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone see this in Celebrity Baby Blog http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2007/12/katie-holmes-sa.html

"Kate" says about Tom: "I couldn't have asked for a more supportive human being. He had the room ready, candles everywhere, pictures in frames. It was very homey and beautiful."

Barf. But, my question is, what the heck are candles doing in a baby's room?

Barf again.

Posted by: glebe | December 13, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think she meant the delivery room. I guess they didn't anticipate her needing oxygen...

Posted by: 23112 | December 13, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

First, I'm sad about Terry Pratchett. He seems to be such a wonderful man & writes such wonderful books, I hope he continues writing those wonderful books as long as he is able.

Second, I love that pic of John C. Reilly! I also admit to giggling like a little girl every time I hear that "Dewey Cox" title.

Posted by: Bored @ home | December 13, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm clearly in some sort of denial. I've just looked down at my clothes and realize I'm wearing Tom bait (the suit not the mini). I think I may be ill. Could someone take care of my pony?

Posted by: jes | December 13, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing Britney is more likely to be institutionalized than jailed. Although I'd take either one at this point.

And yes, the descriptions of Tom and KatIe's "relationship" did, in fact, cause me to re-experience my breakfast.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 13, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Katie has "strapped on" anything under that suit...

Posted by: cjbriggs | December 13, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you methinks and Liz Kelly! Hooray! I get a pony!

byoolin, I am in on the poll for 60 days till the judge finds her in contempt -I'd go 20, but with the holidays and all they might not get the hearing scheduled, and they will try to reschedule before they even try to get the judge involved. How long will she serve for contempt? I'd guess 1 day, maybe 2. But, it's not really that unusual for depositions to be rescheduled and if she shows for the next scheduled one then she'll get by on this one.

What's a Xenu suit?

Congrats ep! Have a good rest over the holiday and then start all over again!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 13, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo, all finished with the semester??

RE: Britney in contempt...I think the judge will wait until after the holiday, maybe 14 days and then she goes into the klink for 24 hours. Then she loses all hope of custody of her children.

Posted by: methinks | December 13, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"i just wish i didn't get the impression he looks in the mirror an awful lot."
Oh yeah. Check out "Me So Pretty Beckham" in the Gallery of the Absurd! :-)

I heart Reese Witherspoon. I bet she likes ponies.

Brangelina couple of the year? Talk about re-experiencing my breakfast. Ugh. They must be really scraping bottom if they can't name a nice, happy couple who aren't, well, nuts. Brangelina are terrible role models for couplehood (I am not talking about other good deeds they do, I'm simply referring to their couplehood.) Serial infidelity, nutty behavior, constantly moving and never allowing their kids to put down roots anywhere, a child out of wedlock, referring to said child as a blob less worthy of love than the adopted brood, addictive adoptions, etc. etc. etc.

Tom and "Kate" are also not worthy IMHO. What about, say, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson? Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman? Even Annette Bening and Warren Beatty?

Posted by: Californian | December 13, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Bad celebrities don't need to be awarded negative ponies. They can just be awarded pony byproducts.

And if you insist on awarding Julia Roberts two ponies, I say they should be plain chestnut ponies without so much as white blaze. Definitely no pretty golden palomino ponies for her.

Posted by: e | December 13, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Methinks-still one paper to finish up, but I'm getting there. Hopefully I can knock it out before the weekend so that I can really begin my break!

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 13, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Lisa1, omni -
Yes, that's just the sort of suit and shoes I was thinking of, too. Mmmm... very nice, indeed.

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 13, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse