Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 12/ 4/2007

Morning Mix: Heigl Calls 'Knocked Up' Sexist

By Liz Kelly

Johnny Depp, who apparently swapped shoes with a hobo just moments before, walks the red carpet at the New York premiere of "Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street" on Monday. (AP)

Headlines: Brad Pitt plans to build 150 homes for New Orleans hurricane victims... Katherine Heigl criticizes "sexist" "Knocked Up"... Jennifer Love Hewitt responds to bikini pic criticism... "High School Musical" star Ashley Tisdale gets a nose job... Tiger mauls caretaker at Tippi Hedren's animal preserve... Nicole Richie and Joel Madden launch foundation for kids... Milla Jovovich explains her baby's name (Ever Gabo)... Photo: Joan Van Ark's ghoulish new look.

Crime Watch: Akon pleads not guilty to tossing fan off stage... Velvet Revolver's Scott Weiland denies driving under the influence.

Rumor Mill: President Clinton swaps seats to sit next to Penelope Cruz... "Sex and the City" movie shoot wraps up... Amy Winehouse spotted wandering London streets in a bra and jeans... Queen Latifah engaged (to girlfriend?).

Say What?
"I want the world to know that John C. Reilly has a mighty fine tush." -- Jenna Fischer compliments her "Walk Hard" co-star.

"I start off with huge breasts and then I walk upstairs and suddenly I've got tangerines again. It's melons to tangerines." -- Helena Bonham Carter on how her pregnancy affected the production of "Sweeney Todd."

"Which female singer - who has had the same unlikely nose job as her brother -- has a metal brace up her schnoz to keep it from collapsing? The device was noticed by a stylist who had bent down to lace her boots." -- a blind item from Page Six, New York Daily News

By Liz Kelly  | December 4, 2007; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Top TV Crushes of 2007
Next: List-a-licious: The -est of 2007

Comments

I found it "hard to love the movie," too, Katherine. After all, you go home with a guy for a night of drunken sex and you don't even have the decency to remove your bra? I mean, WTF?!?!?!?

Also, the plot was overly contrived, the dialogue stilted, and Seth Rogen? Really? I mean, just how drunk was your character supposed to be? Come on!

Posted by: byoolin | December 4, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Liz, surely you meant to type "Joan Van YIKES!!!!"

Posted by: byoolin | December 4, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

*heck, *I'd* swap seats to sit next to penelope cruz. (mainly to ask about the whole thing between her and the other cruise...surely she slaps her forehead and cries 'what was i thinking?'--in spanish, of course.)

*saw the joan v. ark pics yesterday. she looks like death. seriously. how could she have gone out of the house looking like that?

*i'm no jennifer love hewitt ('love' to her friends) apologist but she is right on about size 2 not being fat. but from the looks of things her tush is not size 2. nevertheless, i applaud her for standing up and stating the obvious.

Posted by: methinks | December 4, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse's Death Clock just jumped forward a few months.

Posted by: 23112 | December 4, 2007 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I just feel bad for Joan Van Ark. Doesn't she own a mirror? Sad.

As for Amy Winehouse. . .well, there's only one ending to that story.

Posted by: jelo | December 4, 2007 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Which female singer - who has had the same unlikely nose job as her brother --"

Who is Janet Jackson, Alex?

I'm gonna have to agree with Love on this one, if a size 2 is fat, I must be morbidly obese at a size 8.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Actually it is "Who is LaToya Jackson?"

Katherine, did you NOT read the script before you agreed to do the movie? You have this habit of decrying things after the fact that you applauded during. Some thought beforehand might be a good idea. Oh god, her character on Grey's is autobiographical.

Posted by: ep | December 4, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Heigl, Love Hewitt, Bonham-Carter, and even Winehouse in a bra.

Today's column is really a Morning Mix Breastacular, isn't it?

Posted by: byoolin | December 4, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Concur with byoolin, "Thanks For The Mammary!"

Joan van Ark looks like death warmed over...

Posted by: BDWESQTM | December 4, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Liz, in light of today's breastcentric blog (breastopia?), tomorrow we gals want to see some male tushes instead of just hearing about them! I mean, can't you get a pic of Johnny Depp bending over to tie his shoes or something?

Posted by: POS | December 4, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Heigl is absolutely right. While I thought the movie was funny at certain points, it certainly does paint women as shrews who get in the way of fun-loving men. However, this would have sounded a lot better coming from someone who was not *in* the movie and currently living comfortably off its profits.

Posted by: Anonimis | December 4, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I thought Janet's nose collapsed back in the 90's.

-Good for JLH for not being a shame of her butt and cellulite, and good for Ashley Tisdale for admitting to a nose job.

-Katherine Heigl knew "Knocked-Up" was sexist when she read the script so what she complaining about. She's so annoying.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 4, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Blind item: Janet Jackson?

Posted by: Anonimis | December 4, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Blind item? Shame! I thought you were better than that.

Posted by: tl | December 4, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Why are people picking on Jennifer Love Hewitt??? Seriously. I think she looks hot as hell in that pic. Gotta love a girl with some curves!

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | December 4, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

That pic of Amy Winehouse looks like what college kids do to someone who passes out at a frat house party. She's got random drawings all over her and looks absolutely bewildered to be alive.

Posted by: M Street | December 4, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It's tragic that none of the paps helped Amy back to her friend's house or at least go to the house to get help for Amy.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 4, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Damn, I forgot about LaToya...hmmmm, I wonder what Rebie is up to.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I didn't like Knocked Up very much either but couldn't quite articulate why although it did have something to do with the whole way the dynamic was set up in the relationships. Heigl brought up some good points.

That being said I find Heigl grating. Can we get a background profile on Heigl, Liz? I don't watch Gray's Anatomy and I often see pictures of her smoking and her comments are pretty high-and-mighty yet I know a ton of girls who want to be her best friend. Why is that?

Posted by: DJ | December 4, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Re: Amy Winehouse

"She's got random drawings all over her and looks absolutely bewildered to be alive"

I'm with you on the bewildered piece, but I think the "drawings" you're referring to are her tatoos :-)

Re: Jennifer Love Hewitt

I like my women thin and I seriously think she looks fine. I know that we scrutinize celebrities because they've chosen a career that places them in the public eye. However, the sad thing about the harsh criticism that this pic is receiving is that JLH resembles any healthy girl in her late twenties. I'd hate for a pretty, healthy girl to see this picture, think "that looks like me" and conclude that "I must be fat". Sad.

Posted by: Noelle | December 4, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess this relates more to the crush conversation the other day, but I love Seth Rogan in every role I've seen him in (probably all). I have a huge crush on him. And I'm a 30 year old woman.

Posted by: kated | December 4, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to find out a bit more about Johnny's shoe deal. The suit is great and the shoes... well, they make the suit stand out a bit more, but it does look like he pushed his limo to the red carpet over the hills and dales. :)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 4, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow - Joan Van Ark - wow, that's all.

Kudos to JLH for speaking out and defending curvaceous women everywhere. It's healthy to have curves. It's not healthy to be a bag of bones. It's normal for an adult woman to have cellulite, even skinny ones (didn't we see a pic of Katie Holmes' cellulite not too long ago?), and these types of "flaws" are routinely edited from magazine photos to give a false impression of what beautiful looks like.

I agree with Lisa1 about Amy Winehouse - why isn't anyone helping this girl? It's clear that she needs someone to take care of her and maybe to teach her about proper oral hygiene. She seems to be following in the footsteps of Britney. Hope these two never meet, or it could bring on the apocalypse.

btw, Liz, I CAN see the picture! Whatever you have been doing for the past week or so, I have been able to see the pictures - thanks!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 4, 2007 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Knocked up isn't exactly sexist so much as told from the perspective of men who love but are totally bewildered by men. I'm guessing that once Heigl gets married, she's going to be pretty darn surprised.

Posted by: ol | December 4, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I say good for JLH! So her body's not perfect, so what? Mine isn't either, how about yours?

Posted by: jes | December 4, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

ha ha -- I meant men bewildered by *women*
I guess I was thinking of myselef when I wrote bewildered by men.

Posted by: ol | December 4, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

no one's body is perfect which is why i'd like to add a word of caution to JLH's exhortation that those of (us) with "butts, boobs, and curves" to put on bikinis and, you know, strut (our) stuff. my stuff isn't strutable anymore, 'cept in private. and there are a lot of folks out there in the same predicament. why can't we all just get along, and not judge each other's bodies, which is, i'm sure, what rodney king meant to say.

Posted by: methinks | December 4, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Good for Miss Hewit. She looks fine. And heck, if I were a former President I'd swap chairs to sit next to Miss Cruz in a heartbeat.

So Weiland got arrested, again. This probably would explain why the band's Australia and Japan tour got canceled. And that sounds like normal behavior for Mrs. Winehouse.

Posted by: EricS | December 4, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"It's clear that she needs someone to take care of her and maybe to teach her about proper oral hygiene."

C'mon sunnydaze, she's British! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, Katherine Heigl is wicked annoying.

And, while Jennifer Love Hewitt usually doesn't even register on my celebrity radar, I agree wholeheartedly with her about this whole pictures thing. This criticism of how people look has gotten completely out of hand. I blame that ugly pink haired-slob Perez Hilton. Haha.

Re the blind item, my first guess was Janet Jackson, too.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 4, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

What Liz has is a tattoo. What is on Winehouse looks like scribbles.

Posted by: M Street | December 4, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure Liz could take down Amy Winehouse in a heartbeat, too!

Posted by: methinks | December 4, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Joan Van Ark's skin looks sun damaged to me. It's not the normal look of a woman her age.

She looks like someone who is leaving the dermatologist's office after a chemical peel procedure.

Also, digital cameras have such high resolution, they pick up every flaw in the skin. Unless your makeup is flawless and perfect (and hers looks it's melting off) the camera will be cruel.

Posted by: S.Spring | December 4, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

If I had to chose between the stick figure of Paris Hilton or the bodacious curves of JLH...I'm gonna have to go with the curves...something to hold on to.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

methinks, mine is not struttable either except to give offense. It's just refreshing to see someone in Hollywood who is not a sack of bones say that they are happy w/their body.

Posted by: jes | December 4, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

There was a time when I thought Katherine Heigl was talented and hot. Such is no longer the case. She's become quite the whiner over the last year, and seems to think very highly of herself, even when her opinions make no sense.

" 'It was hard for me to love the movie,' she says, even though the comedy elevated her asking price from $300,000 to $6 million for her next flick."

This is typical of what I mean. Heigl (presumably) read the script, spoke with her manager, signed the deal, cashed her (very large) paycheck, and now she's badmouthing the film and acting all high and mighty. She's on her way out.

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 4, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Katherine, some of us figured out "Knocked Up" was incredibly sexist just from the ads.

Re. Ashley Tisdale, whoever she is: how sad these girls remove anything unique about themselves and become just be another boring, overprocessed cookie-cutter Stepford starlet.

Re. Amy Winehouse: "It wasn't the behaviour of someone in the right state of mind" -- gee, ya think?

JLH looks great. So refreshing to see a female celeb who eats and has a real body. Makes for a nice change.

Posted by: Californian | December 4, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Lordy, I hope the Tippi Hedren item doesn't start some mass hysteria about animals and their perfectly normal wild-animal behavior. I volunteered for a tiger rescue sanctuary for years and we cleaned the enclosures from above; there was always a barrier between us and the tigers as we never forgot they are WILD ANIMALS. But even when I have been with wild animals without a barrier, I know I'm taking a risk.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

ASinMoCo - I have a few British friends, and they all have teeth, but you know, point taken...

Methinks and jes - maybe your stuff is not strutable, or maybe you are victims of the "skinnier is better" message of our culture. I will proudly say that I am in a size 12 (that's right, 12, not 2) with a four month old, and if it wasn't so cold, I'd go put my bikini on right now, and I doubt that anyone would be offended, or think that I am "fat" because I am reletively well proportioned, or as my dear hubby says, "va-va-voom!"

As the temple of Dionysis says, "Know thyself" - and don't buy into the Hollywood hype about body types - I would be willing to bet that no matter what ya'll look like, there is someone out there who would say "va-va-voom!" to you too - just look at how beautiful Queen Latifah is, or that woman who played that lawyer with the long brown hair, I can't think of her name but you get the idea.

OK, off soap box now. Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my most passionate subjects.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 4, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling Amy Winehouse was out wandering the streets looking distressed because her drug connection didn't show up. I don't think she was out looking for the pizza delivery man.

Posted by: POS | December 4, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

A very scary picture:

Posted by: Amy Scaryhouse | December 4, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Katherine Heigl? Shut up. Please.

JLH looks perfectly fine and I can't believe people are ripping into her. I've seen the 'from behind' pictures too, and I can't say that she's fat from those either. She's healthy, thin and much prettier than the stick skinny girls.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I agree JLH looks fine, but the problem these days is, more and more people are using the excuse of "I love my curves so don't criticize me" when they are simply "too fat." There is such a thing as a healthy weight, not too fat, not too thin, and when 2/3 of the US is overweight, and most of those obese, we have a serious problem. The US is just totally screwed up about what is normal and healthy in both directions.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Californian: Ashley Tisdale had a deviated septum repaired, not a new nose put on. She talks about it in full. I hate how theyre making it sound like she had a nose job, not a medical procedure- while that article doesn't mention much about it, the one on People.com gives more detail into the procedure.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The Richie Madden Children's Foundation (at richiemaddenfoundation.com), Madden said, was an idea the couple had when they found out they were expecting. "We grew up in Los Angeles," he said, "and we want our child to be a part of the community, and to know that there's a responsibility to help the community."

Really, because as much as I don't care or want to know about tha poser, he and his brother grew up in La Plata, MD.

Posted by: Tara | December 4, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really believe the "deviated septum" excuse? Jennifer Aniston and Cameron Diaz said the same thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

hey, I had a deviated septum repaired! It vastly improved my breathing. Does that mean I am lying?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm just saying it's a convenient excuse for celebrities who go to plastic surgeons and don't want to be labeled as narcissits.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

"or that woman who played that lawyer with the long brown hair"

Camren Manheim (sp?)

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering about the Madden growing up in LA comment too. I thought he was from MD.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sunnydaze-- I have British friends too, and they all have a few teeth as well.

Posted by: soso | December 4, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Knocked up", sexist? Well, duh, considering it was nothing more than an attempt to make a rom-com date movie out of a slightly less adolescent version of "Old School" (oh, sorry, that was "Wedding Crashers" -- then again, close enough.)

Which actually proves my point -- these kind of movies are told entirely from the male perspective. The main theme of "Knocked" was having the Baby-Daddy (correct use of term) character have to come to grips with growing up. This was supported by the plotline involving Paul Rudd's character's realization that having given up his frat-boy freedom for wife & family wasn't suffocating him. This narrative allowed for a lot of fart and pot humor, and a rather unsophisticated male-dominated viewpoint.

The storylines of what Heigl was going through with her pregnancy and what her sister was going through with "getting older and less MILF-ish" were merely plot advancement devices about which nobody did, or should have, cared. Although focal to advancing the story, they clearly weren't key to the narrative.

So, no female perspective, hence a sexist, male-oriented viewpoint. Which, when you think about it, kind of makes up for the lack of a strong male-oriented viewpoint on the crapfest that is "Grey's Anatomy".

And if Heigl isn't smart enough to understand this simple analysis of the movie story-telling 101, and expects every movie that somehow involves a woman to have a strong female voice, then she really should learn to keep her mouth shut, at least until she wins an Oscar and we can start making fun of her uninformed pretentious crap like we do when it spews forth from Gwyneth.

Posted by: WoW | December 4, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Deathwatch- Amy Winehouse before she turns 30 and Scott Weiland within 2 years.

That not so blind item has got to be Janet Jackson- so sad that that family has carved themselves up so badly... Joan Van Ark is not holding up that well either.

Katherine Heigl- please STFU! How hypocritical of her to criticize the hands that have fed her. Maybe her next project should be more obscure and hopefully she can disappear into that obscurity..

Bill Clinton- he's still in old form, chasing the skirts and openly flirting with the ladies.

Posted by: plamar1031 | December 4, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Anon at 1:40, that is exactly who I was thinking of. I don't know why I can't ever remember her name....

soso, I hear they even have dentists over there now! All I'm saying is the girl can afford a trip to the dentist and some new shoes.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 4, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

From today's article in Style on Scottish actor James McAvoy:

"McAvoy isn't an archetypal leading man. In his rugged work boots, he's maybe 5-foot-8. His skin is pale and he has an imperfect set of teeth that could stand to be both straightened and cleaned. (He steadfastly refuses, the very idea of getting cosmetic work done is too disgustingly Hollywood.)"

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I sure enjoy Johnny Depp being an oddball ... :-)

Posted by: Californian | December 4, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, anon at 3:23, your point?

(Talk about tv crushes of '07, should have submitted him since Sundance picked up Shameless, even if I've fancied him since State of Play. First ep of Shameless was a very, very nice gift *g*.)

Posted by: MB | December 4, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Just sayin' some Brits embrace their bad teeth

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

About Amy Winehouse's teeth - According to all those cop shows, losing your teeth is a side effect of drug use. Isn't it called Meth Mouth or something like that?

Posted by: jlr | December 4, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"Johnny Depp must enjoy being an oddball- you can't tell me that he did not have enough time or money to put on some better shoes..."

where have you been the last 20 years? OF COURSE johnny depp loves being an oddball... that's why we love HIM!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

That's what I thought of, jlr -- meth mouth. That's usually a result of poor oral hygiene and dental care that goes along with meth use. Even with a lot of methamphetamine use, meth mouth should be avoidable by someone with enough money to pay someone else to take care of her teeth. I'm just sayin . . .

Posted by: LLL | December 5, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse