Posted at 8:18 AM ET, 12/ 6/2007

Morning Mix: Kiefer Sutherland Starts Serving Jail Sentence

By Liz Kelly

Will Smith mouths off at the Tokyo premiere of his movie, 'I Am Legend,' where he accidentally gave away the film's ending. Oops. (AP)

Headlines: Brad Pitt tells Larry King he and Angelina Jolie are "just getting started" on their family... Frank Sinatra gets his own stamp... T.R. Knight to be "bridesman" in "Grey's" castmate Katherine Heigl's wedding... Jay-Z quietly celebrates 38th birthday in Paris with Beyonce... Johnny Depp signs on to play gangster John Dillinger... Dolly Parton concedes that she may resemble a hooker... Mel Gibson plans Costa Rica-based movie production company... Nancy Grace shows off newborn twins... Police drummer Stewart Copeland apologizes for beer comment about Chilean president... Jenna Bush, in what was surely a spontaneous moment, calls her parents from the "Ellen DeGeneres Show"... Pregnant Nicole Richie given leave from court-mandated anti-drinking program... Laurence Fishburne. Weed. Frank Gehry. Nuff said... Ex-Lindsay Lohan bodyguard sues tabloid for libel... Nicole Kidman suing tabloid over Chanel-cheating claims.

Crime Watch: Kiefer Sutherland starts serving 48-day jail sentence... Accused stalker of Uma Thurman rejects plea deal... Charges dropped after Jonathan Rhys Meyers apologizes for public drunkenness... Accusesr says Lindsay Lohan was drinking before 2005 crash.

Rumor Mill: Ryan Phillippe and Abbie Cornish back on... John Mayer sets his sights on Ricki Lake... R&B'er Chris Brown says he throws away his used undies every day.

List-a-licious: MTV counts down the top 10 "Hot Messes of 2007." And, yes, she's included. (More Lists)

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's snow-covered edition of Celebritology Live.

By Liz Kelly  | December 6, 2007; 8:18 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Highbrow: Weighing the Oprah Effect on Politics
Next: Celebrity Jailbird: Injustice Averted?

Comments

Dolly Parton admits she looks like a hooker - Do ya think?

Wonder what her rate is...?

Posted by: BDWESQTM | December 6, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I hate George W. Bush with everything I've got but the clip of Jenna calling was sort of sweet. I feel all mixed up inside. It's like I don't even know who I am anymore.

Posted by: KG | December 6, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Dolly's made fun of her own appearance (stage persona appearance, at least) for the past twenty years or so. I remember her sitting with Johnny Carson in the 1970s and cracking wise about her girls and her hair and her makeup. I think she's darling and I would LOVE to hang around Dollywood with her for a day.

Posted by: 23112 | December 6, 2007 9:06 AM | Report abuse

"It takes a lot of money to look this cheap." Dolly

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

The Lovely Mrs. byoolin and The Kid watched Jenna call GWB yesterday.

Later, during their sarcastic deconstruction of the little episode, the Lovely Mrs. said, "Think of all the kids who don't have a daddy to call because of the things her daddy has done."

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

It's hookers who try to look like Dolly, not the other way around.

Posted by: WDC | December 6, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

If the film version of "I am Legend" differs from the book, I'm in for a surprise.

Chris sweetie just hire someone to do your laundry. That many dirty undies can't possibly be good for the planet.

Yet another list that has soooooo many contenders picking the top 10 had to be hard to do. Brit alone can hold the top 7-8 spots.

Posted by: petal | December 6, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If the film version of "I Am Legend" differs from "The Omega Man," I'll be surprised (except for the part where Will Smith is a better actor than Charlton Heston).

Chris Brown should do a deal with one of those Japanese companies that operate used-underwear vending machines.

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The Lovely Mrs. byoolin and The Kid watched Jenna call GWB yesterday.

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 09:29 AM

Wow, how sad. Think of all the kids that don't have moomy's or daddy's because of 9/11, too. And the USS Cole bombing, 93 WTC bombing, and the Embassey bombings -- the latter three under Clinton who was/is a womanizer. I'm no Bush fan either, but there's so much more to "it".

Posted by: Good grief. | December 6, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Ricki Lake and John Mayer. Unlikely, but cute. How old is Ricki, though?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Good Grief, I *did* say "sarcastic deconstruction", but if you want to compare, well, start with the somewhere between 60,000 and 500,000 dead Iraqi civilians (depending on whose numbers you use) killed in an invasion of a country that had nothing to do with 9/11.

And while Bill Clinton may very well be a womanizer, and although that might be Celebritology material, it's pretty weak as far as supporting whatever your point was.

Come on.

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

John Mayer is 30, Ricki Lake 39. Under no circumstances should that be considered untoward. Although, I think Ricki deserves much better than John for reasons not relating to age at all.

Posted by: LitMajor | December 6, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Typo alert, Liz! Under the LiLo Rumor Mill story, Accusesr = Accusers.

As always, you totally rule.

Posted by: Stef | December 6, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

i thought jenna's call home was funny.

i also think t.r. knight being a bridesmaid is funny.

the comments stewart copeland made re: beer & the chilean president were baffling (seriously, what was he saying?) and the ensuing brouhaha is funny.

there's a lot of funny stuff goin' on.
by the way, is it snowing in DC? you know what's nice in the snow? a cart drawn by a pony.

Posted by: methinks | December 6, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I took Stewart's comments to mean that the Chilean president was more fun. But I have a sneaking suspicion that comparing Chile and Argentina is not a good idea.
What Jenna really wanted to say was, "Daddy guess what. Ellen has a nice dog for you."

Posted by: POS | December 6, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

No, comparing Chile to Argentina is not a good idea under any circumstances. They don't like each other too much. I lived in Chile for awhile, and one of my best friends is an Argentine, so I speak from experience. That said, yes, those comments were rather baffling.

Methinks, it's not snowing anymore-it snowed all day yesterday though, so everything looks pretty. And a pony-drawn cart *would* be lovely.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 6, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Stirring things up here.

The point goes to byoolin for the comeback.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

you DCers are so lucky. it's such a pretty place when there's snow. when i lived in arlington a million years ago we used to get the biggest & best snowstorms. do people still ice skate on the reflecting pool?

sorry, nothing to do w/celebrities, but i'm nostalgic and homesick.

Posted by: methinks | December 6, 2007 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"Why would I be offended?' she said. 'I know I ain't dumb, and we all know I ain't blonde." Dolly re blond jokes

How can you NOT love this lady? I also laughed out loud at:

"Most of her is aged 61 now, with a couple of notable exceptions, and she's still got the voice that made her so popular."

Yeah Byoolin, and add in the US soldiers who have died in that country that had nothing to do with 911 to your total too - I think we are up to a couple thousand now. Also add in the US soldiers that have been physically or mentally injured to the point where they are too emotionally distant or physically in pain or some combo thereof to be good, warm loving parents, and I think your number jumps by 10's of thousands - no matter whose numbers you use.
I personally, don't care who the president *does* and I don't see what Clinton's predilections have to do with anything...

Can anyone explain what "attempted coercion" is - from the Uma Thurman story?

It's not snowing where I am, but a pony-drawn cart filled with straw and warm cozy quilts would not go amiss...

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:00 AM | Report abuse

RE: TR being a "bridesmaid"
Of all the silly wedding traditions that have lasted over the years the one I'm surprised doesn't get tossed out more regularly is same sex sides of the wedding. I'm a female and a couple of my closest friends are men - I'm not supposed to ask them to stand up for me because they can't be "bridesmaids"?
Go for it TR!

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 6, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

a nice hayride/sleigh ride would be fun!

props to byoolin.

i miss snow.

it's cold where i am and my heat is out and i had to leave my collie dog shivering under a blanket at home today.

snow and a pony would make it all okay.

Posted by: b | December 6, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

when i lived in fax co many moons ago we used to skate on the c&o canal... they still do that?

and on the lake at evans farm inn in mclean... bet that's gone now.

Posted by: b | December 6, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

we are up to almost 4000 soldiers dead in Iraq and many tens of thousands maimed with little to no support systems back home--great job VA! The worst are those who came from small towns where they needed the Nat Guard for the extra income. Now they go home and cannot even get a job they had before at the 7-11 because they are so severely disabled. We have created entire towns with unemployed and disabled vets.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

By the way, Liz, didn't you mean to write, "Nancy Grace shows off newborn twins [and implicates them in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway]"?

Just askin'.

Posted by: byoolin | December 6, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I get the feeling that every few years Dolly goes to a special doctor and ends up with newborn twins.

Posted by: Kly | December 6, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I'd like Clooney to drive me around in a pony cart.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey hey hey, leav the politics for the politics blogs. This is Celebritology. We come here to get away from that junk.

Yeah, DC is pretyt in the snow, unless you have to get somewhere. And there's no ice skating on the pools on the Mall or the C&O Canal.

Does anyone take anything that Stewart Copeland says without at least a pound of salt? He's been totally off hsi rocker for years now. Heck, Iread what he says as a compliment. I think he was trying to say that Chile's president would be good to have 4 beers with on party night.

Posted by: EricS | December 6, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The attempted coercion charge is related to him threatening harm to himself if Uma didn't do as he demanded of her (not date other men). Coercion is usually defined as making threats that cause another against the other's will to do any act.

Posted by: Coercion | December 6, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

b, i remember skating on the canal too!

i also went to on a camping trip one winter and walked on the potomac river. probably a stupid thing to do, but at least i can say i did it.

Posted by: methinks | December 6, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Amen, byoolin.

Posted by: rachelt | December 6, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

You should probably add Vivica Fox's DUI booking in the crime watch section.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

KG, it just goes to show that President is human. It doesn't change any views of his that you may oppose.

I think it showed class on Ellen's part not to ask some interesting questions about Iraq or gay rights or something. She kept it light, in line with the rest of the interview.

Posted by: DC Cubefarm | December 6, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

A pony makes everything better. Except possibly Britney Spears. Oooh and the throwing out the used undies thing. They have this neat new-fangled thang called a washing machine now. You don't even have to put it through a mangle anymore.

Posted by: ep | December 6, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"do people still ice skate on the reflecting pool?"

Not the reflecting pool but the near the musuem of art there is a rink that stays open until March. Tis wonderful, it would be much better with a pony. I wonder if they have a suggestion box?

Posted by: petal | December 6, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

One day I will learn to spell. That's supposed to be museum.

Posted by: petal | December 6, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Did some one say George Clooney and pony in the same sentence? *sigh*

Posted by: jes | December 6, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

What is hot about Amy Winehouse? Seriously.

Which part of the white powder up her nose is a mystery?

Posted by: Californian | December 6, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

STOP ALL THIS POLITICAL/WAR TALK!! YOU'RE UPSETTING THE PONIES!! And my cats are none too happy about it either! >:-(

I think John Mayer is a funny guy. His "Wonderland" song makes me wanna vomit, but I think he's a funny guy & gets the joke. Maybe he got tired of those blonde bimbos he'd been dating & requires the guiding hand of an older woman **winkwinknudgenudge**.

I love MTV's comment about Travolta in "Hairspray:"

"In Johnny Boy's defense, it was hard to hear his dialogue over the sound of Divine rolling over in her grave."

That's sorta how I felt about it too.

I don't think anyone has skated on the canal in a few years since it doesn't freeze solid very often. Or if they have tried, they've ended up swimming.

Posted by: Bored @ home | December 6, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting the feeling there's a science fair project in here somewhere: How Banter on a Blog Affects Ponies' Moods. There would be the control group with no news feeds whatsoever, the one group with a statistically balanced mix of Fox News and CNN, a group with a mix of "Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report", and a group with nothing but TMZ and E! running. :)

(I somehow feel I will get no love for this post; if my trampled body turns up in Rock Creek Park, please use this post as evidence. :D)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 6, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

It's pretty much an open secret that Dolly and her husband have had an open marriage for decades. It's apparently worked fine for them, because they've been married for 40 years.

Dolly grew up in Sevier (pronounced severe) County and for years she gave each graduate of Sevier County High School $500. I moved away from East Tennessee a while ago, so I don't know if the practice has continued, but I've always thought that was pretty awesome.

Posted by: Wikijen | December 6, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

byoolin started it.

My point, and sorry to drag in 9/11, was that while Bush is no saint, neither was his predecessor who's actions or lack there of in some areas, greatly affected this country and Bush just fell into it thanks to bad advisors and his predecessor. Again, USS Cole, 93 WTC bombing, Embassey bombings, etc. And we did get Sadam (sp).

I used to work on the Hill, I got both sides. The media tends to not reflect that sometimes. And while it sucks that some of these men and women are coming home the way they are, who asked them to join the military? It's voluntary and we should be thankful for that. Not every country has a voluntary military.

Sorry, I just feel that sometimes the other side needs to be expressed.

Posted by: Good grief. | December 6, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

"Back on track, anyone want to guess as to whether Amy Winehouse makes it to the Grammys?"

Well, that all depends on context; does "make it to the Grammys" mean live to see them, be able to attend due to lack of arrests, or make it to the Grammys with a complete outfit?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 6, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for re-focusing the chat, Bored @ home. I don't come here for the political harangues--I'd hang out with the crazies on some of the other chats for that. I'm here for the escapism.

Posted by: sen | December 6, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Or make it to the Grammys in some semblance of sobriety?

Nah, that's asking too much.

I heart ponies! (Non sequitur, but I do.)

Posted by: Californian | December 6, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

here's a PSA, but for those of us who love ponies, consider donating money or items from the wish list to this group for Xmas, or in lieu of gifts to people. These folks are saints. To really get yourself riled up, look at the link to the horses they have for adoption. awwwww www.defhr.org

Posted by: LE | December 6, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

don't think Amy will make it:

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I love the grey in Will Smith's beard, it reminds me that he's actually my age.
Totally bummed that Kiefer might end up serving a full 48 days. His crimes are real, yes, and he should pay -- but if LiLo does an hour and a half for all her mess (driving up the curb, car jacking, walking into the precint with coke in her pocket, PLUS 2 DUIs) it doesn't seem fair that he has to serve over a month for JUST 2 DUIs. Is it possible that he's also paying for putting a plastic bag over his brother's head? Or killing his boss because the terrorists demanded it? Or making Chloe do all those impossible computer things?!

Posted by: miss belle | December 6, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse