Posted at 7:57 AM ET, 12/17/2007

Morning Mix: Travolta Dumped from 'Dallas' Remake -- Report

By Liz Kelly

A blinged out Nicole Kidman signs autographs at the Australia premiere of 'The Golden Compass' in Sydney. (AP)

Headlines: Brad Pitt puts Katrina recovery ahead of movie career... Singer Dan Fogelberg dead at 56... Celine Dion brings down the curtain on her Vegas stage show... Johnny Depp tops nicest celebrity autographer list, while Will Farrell is named rudest... Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton welcome baby girl... "High School Musical's" Ashley Tisdale welcomes new nose... Bai Ling has gone too far... Justin Timberlake performs his own stunts for Super Bowl ad... Marie and Donny Osmond in talks to return to TV... Alex Trebek home from hospital after last week's heart attack... ABC moves new "Lost" season to Thursday nights starting in January.

Britney Watch: Us Weekly names Spears "Worst Dressed" celeb of the year... "American Idol" producer says Brit's not "well enough" for a guest appearance... Watch the entire "Piece of Me" video.

Rumor Mill: John Travolta dumped from "Dallas" remake... Heather Mills says Paul McCartney hoped she'd commit suicide... Lindsay Lohan shopping her own tabloid pix?

Say What?
"De Niro, (Robert) Redford, (Diane) Keaton, (Woody) Allen, Pacino -- they're all just tragic parodies of themselves. Al Pacino looks like a mad old freak now. I say give it a rest, or go and do some serious stuff." -- Actor Rupert Everett

By Liz Kelly  | December 17, 2007; 7:57 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Webby is Bill Shatner?
Next: Comment Box: Celine Dion's Big Screen Debut

Comments

RIP Dan Fogelberg. I'm still in shock.

I see Heather Mills still has not figured out the more she bad mouths Sir Paul the more we hate her.

Considering the turkeys Brad has done, it sounds like he is not giving up much.

Why does the thought of Helena Bonham Carter and Tim Burton reproducing skeeve me out?

Posted by: ep | December 17, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I give up. What's it going to take for Heather Mills to shut her yap?

Posted by: surlychick | December 17, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So, I clicked on the Dan Fogelberg article and read it - what a nice guy! A few minutes later, I am still crusing the site and all of sudden I started feeling so sad and my eyes got all teary and I am thinking 'What is this?' and I realized it was Dan. Oh, singer of beautiful songs, rest in peace - you've won your run for the roses.

Posted by: BeachGirl | December 17, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"Producers decided ['Dallas'] needed "more laughs" and called for an entirely new, slapstick script and was rewritten as "a 'show-within-a-show' comedy.""

I know it's December 17th, but that story sure smells like April 1st.

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Ashley tinsdale doesn't look like the same person anymore, she must have done more than her nose

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Loved, loved, loved Dan Fogelberg. 'Same Auld Lang Syne' is one of the all time great story songs and never ceases to bring back memories of boyfriends and Christmas...sigh. Bless his heart.

*Rupert Everett is hilarious. I loved his comments.
*The Dallas movie sounds like a cruise ship headed for disaster.
*Donny & Marie? Please, please no.
*Ashley Tisdale looks like she purchased the Michael Jackson #15 model nose.

Posted by: methinks | December 17, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

"Bai Ling has gone too far"?

If she's somewhere where a photographer can still get a picture of her, I would say she hasn't gone far enough.

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

What Brit is wearing in the US Weekly photo is not for everyone but I rather like it, and yes, I would wear it.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 17, 2007 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It probably wasn't the most politic thing to say, but Rupert's got a point. Heat was the last thing either DeNiro or Pacino did that I liked.

Posted by: 23112 | December 17, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Rest in peace, Dan.

I love Same Old Lang Syne, and Run for the Roses was my guilty pleasure.

Posted by: M.A.T. | December 17, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Wait, does getting surgery on a deviated septum give you a new nose, or did she get work done cause they were in there anyway? My bf has a deviated septum and surgery is out there. Will he end up with a different nose?

Posted by: Em | December 17, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Heat was the last thing either DeNiro or Pacino did that I liked."

Ooo, that was a great movie...

Re. Celine -- wow, those five years went fast. Darn it. I can't believe someone actually saw the show 100 times. (You couldn't pay me to see her once!)

Posted by: WDC 21113 | December 17, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

How legit is this whole deviated septum excuse for nose jobs. It seems like every celeb uses it when they get a nose job.

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 17, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

about that BS Pieces video: gee, this is a shock:

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"Sir Paul has gone from being 'The Cute Beatle' to 'The Spokesperson For The Rest Of Us Beatle.'"

As always, Byoolin says it best!

Posted by: M.A.T. | December 17, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I had the deviated septum surgery and my nose is the same. But if they have to move enough stuff in there to get it straight, things might look different from the outside. This is surgery to change bone and cartilege in your nose and sinuses.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

i looked through the britney's worst fashions gallery and yes, the girl is a wreck but the thing i absolutely do not get is those light brown boots. i mean, everyone's got their favorite pair of boots that you like to wear with everything from jeans to leggings to skirts but you only wear 'em w/what's appropriate and color coordinated. okay, questioning what appropriate in a rant about britney is pretty silly but i just don't freekin' get it. every time i see those stupid boots of hers, she's wearing them with something black or whatever. it drives me mad. and her boots look so cheap. like she got them at wal-mart or something and they're made of gen-u-wine fake leather.

Posted by: methinks | December 17, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Does the Santa Claus come with Bai's outfit or is he just an unfortunate soul who happened to be there when she was? I didn't have a chance to read the caption.

I don't know about suicide but I do hope Heather would shut the heck up. At this point Paul's error in marrying that woman is affecting my ability to scan the celeb news without getting irritated.

Props to Brit for showing up enough times to make another video. I'll be avoiding it at all costs but props to her.

Posted by: petal | December 17, 2007 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I saw Bai humping Santa Claus.
Isn't that a song?

Posted by: POS | December 17, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I saw an ad today for one of Britney's three (3!!!!!!) perfumes and thought to myself "someone would pay to smell like unwashed and torn fishnet stockings, stale tobacco, fast food grease, and public toilets??" But then I realized she probably had nothing to do with the stuff except posing for the ad before they airbrushed the bejeesus out of it.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Re. perfume ads -- there's a whole bunch out (or out again as is the case with Liz Taylor's White Diamonds) -- Mariah Carey, Antonio Bendaras, Brit, and some others I can't recall -- do that many women really want perfume for the holidays? (And I'm a woman.)

Posted by: DLC1220 | December 17, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Rupert Everett: he may be bitter, but I'll agree with him on Al Pacino. When was the last time he did anything but yell his way through a movie? (A shame when you look at his subtle performance in the original "Godfather")

I gotta disagree on DeNiro, though - I think in the past five or six years he has just done what amuses him after years of intense, iconic roles.

As for Heather Mills - just shut up already. Like you probably haven't said the same thing, hoping he hasn't changed his will in your favor in the stress over the divorce. (Doubt it, but hey, a gold-digger can always hope.) Does she really think picking on Stella McCartney is going to get her anywhere?

And isn't the return of Donny and Marie one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | December 17, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

BTW, what on God's Green Earth is Nicole Kidman wearing in that photo? Is that outfit designed to protect her from the stepford rays sent out by her ex-husband?

Posted by: ep | December 17, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Al was in that movie "Insomnia" with Robin Williams a few years back, when Robin was doing a few "serious" roles, and it was actually pretty good, so he's had at least one good role in the last 10 years. Bitting the hand that feeds, are we Ruppert?.....even if he does have a point.

I liked Mizz carter alot more when she was doing supporting stuff, like in Fight Club, rather than an exclusive diet of her husbands stuff. Tim's great, no question, but do something a little different from time to time, please?

Posted by: EricS | December 17, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ep, I think Nicole is appearing in a remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". She will play the role of the robot, Gort.

Gort! Klaatu, barada nicto.

Posted by: byoolin | December 17, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Re: perfume, my mom was joking yesterday that she was going to buy me Britney Spears perfume for Christmas. My response: "mom, why would you want me to smell like a filthy crackwh*re?"

Can we please just put Heather Mills and Katherine Heigl together in a soundproof room in the middle of a desert somewhere, with no reporters anywhere in sight?

Also, Rupert Everett is wrong about De Niro. He's also wrong about Woody Allen-Woody Allen was always a parody of himself. Now he's just an older parody of himself.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | December 17, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Ah Bai Ling, how I have missed you dear. You never cease to amaze and amuse. Please don't strangle Santa, though, I have a good gift coming this year - starts with "p."
Also, to all the Ling haters, at least she's got her lady parts all covered up - this photo is positively conservative for her.

Heather Mills, shut up already. What a crock. Does anyone really believe that she secretly taped a phone call between Paul and Stella??? What a nutter.

Lisa1 - REALLY??? Where would you wear this? My first thought was, OMG, she looks like a $2 hooker. I have no prob with very sexy, revealing clothing, OK? But clothing, not underwear. And, I agree with methinks about those horrible boots - much like Amy Winehouse and those godawful ballet slippers, this girl can afford to buy some new shoes!

Once again, I heart Depp. And if I ever see him, I'll ask for an autograph all right! Right on my ______! Maybe I'll try to get him to sign two items....hehehe!

And finally, Tim Burton has a little girl...I can't help but wonder if she is sown together and diabolically animated like Sally from Nightmare before Christmas...I'm thinking that Burton's kids can't help but be pretty weird, but hopefully in that interesting and good way.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 17, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

i will miss dan fogelberg..... "Since You've Asked" is one of my favs... and anything from "Captured Angel."

Nicole: Tin foil only keeps the aliens from taking you over if you put it on your head, dear.

ABC is absolutely evil. If they move Lost to Thursday, I will have to buy another TiVO. As it is I have to go watch on the crappy tv in the bedroom so I can tivo CSI and Grey's Anatomy while I watch The Office and Scrubs. (I really do have a life the other six days of the week)

Posted by: b | December 17, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Britney isn't "well enough" to go on Idol, yet Paula Abdul is "well enough" to judge.

These are mysteries only Fox TV producers understand.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | December 17, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I only sort of know who Ashley Tisdale is. It would seem to me that with that nose job she may have done herself a disservice a la Jenifer Grey. Nobody recognized Jenifer Grey after her nose job, she even did a spoof about that on that TV show "Its Like You Know".

Posted by: Stuck@Work | December 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I would love to have Helena and Tim for parents - I'd finally seem normal! And "Uncle Johnny" comes over for lots of visits, I bet!

Posted by: pixie radiance | December 17, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

They moved it to that time because there will be no new episodes of Grey's to air (considering Grey's and Lost are on the same channel). There are also no new Office or CSI episodes left either. So you should be in the clear!

Posted by: No need for new TIVO | December 17, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for Britney being the Worst Dressed Celeb of 2007, but Vanessa Williams should't be on that list. That feathered dress was fabulous. Don't hate just because you couldn't pull it off.

Posted by: musicgeek | December 17, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I would wear Britney's outfit to a beach party although my future inlaws would be appalled.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 17, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

OK, Lisa1 - a beach party I can totally understand! After all that really is a beach coverup, and not a dress, isn't it? Unfortunately for everyone, Brit seems to think it's ok to wear it, you know, everywhere....and I think that's a red bra she's sporting, not a bikini top. Geez, there's another parallel with Amy Winehouse!
Anyway, I am just glad that you weren't thinking of wearing something like that to the theater, or shopping at the mall or something!!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 17, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Sunnydaze, the Vanessa Williams' feather dress or the Cameron Diaz's tulle dress, I would wear to go shopping at mall, to theater, even to work.

People can stare and make snarky comments but those dresses are too fabulous and too much money to wear only once.

Posted by: Lisa1 | December 17, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Nicole looks like the tin man who cannot.move.her.face....help!

Posted by: philly | December 17, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Rupert Everett talking about "trash" is enlightening given his own work in such highbrow fare as "The Next Best Thing" with Madonna and "A Different Loyalty" with Sharon Stone.

Ben Stiller replacing John Travolta in "Dallas"? John's a bad overactor ("Primary Colors") so that was a wise move (not that Ben is exactly Ben Kingsley).

But John Travolta is 6'2" and Ben Stiller is only 5'7" (per IMDB) so either they're going to have to make the rest of the actors stand on boxes or recast the whole movie:

* Linda Hunt as Miss Ellie
* Joe Pesci as Jock
* Janeane Garofalo as Sue Ellen
* Tom Cruise as Bobby
* Brittany Murphy as Pam
* Danny DeVito as Cliff Barnes

(I'd totally want to see this movie then.)

Posted by: td | December 17, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

(I mean "kneel" on boxes, or Ben stands on one. Never mind.)

Posted by: td | December 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What is Bai Ling doing to Santa? Easy. Skankin' it up. What she does best.

I gotta say, I laughed uncontrollably for a long time when I saw the caption, Liz ... "Bai Ling has gone too far." My first thought was, so what else is new?

Brad Pitt putting something ahead of his acting career ... hmm. Didn't he just recently say it was a young man's industry? Maybe this is a graceful way to exit the industry while grasping desperately for some of the same publicity his duplicitous harlot gets?

Hey, didn't she say like a year ago she was going to take a break from movies to be a mom? Or something?

Posted by: Californian | December 17, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I do NOT like Paul McCartney. Never have. I also think he's the worst Beatle. There, I've said it and I don't regret it. Having said that, I agree that Heather should just shut her frakkin' pie hole.

Posted by: I don't like Heather Mills either | December 17, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Lisa1, agreed that some things are just to groovy to only wear once, but while you may look a litte odd at the mall all decked out in feathers, you would not (I hope) be mistaken for a $2 hooker! I don't think Britney has EVER worn anything that qualifies as that groovy.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 17, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"I have a good gift coming this year - starts with "p."

So sunnydaze is getting a peenie for Christmas?? Talk about a walk on the wild side. Is there any truth to the rumor that she will be changing her screen name to Woody?

Posted by: Libidinous Johnson | December 17, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Once I read that ABC was moving Lost to Thursday @ 9 all the witty & insightful comments I had about today's column went right outta my brain & was replaced by a very loud & long "FRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIICKNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" **except replace that "frick" with that swear word that's spelled like "duck" with an "f." >:-(

Then I realized that since nothing on NBC in that time slot is gonna be new I took a deep breath, picked my trantruming self off the floor, brushed myself off & came here to post my reaction.

I was really looking forward to settling in for Pushing Daisies at 8, whatever they put in between at 9 or just doing other stuff for an hour & then Lost at 10.

Thursdays are once again NBC Must See TV for me. Earl, The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs & ER, in whatever order they choose. But if the writers are still striking there won't be any new episodes of what my husband & I like to call "my stories" by then so it may not be so horrible.

But once those shows are back I may have to step into the 21st century & get a Tivo or some other DVR.

Posted by: Bored @ home | December 17, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

sunnydaze probably meant a pony.

we're all getting ponies for christmas, right, liz kelly?

Posted by: b | December 17, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

shoot, i was thinking grey's was on fox...

it might be ok then. right now, there's not much to Tivo...*snif*

i was in the dc area this weekend visiting fam.... i will never complain about traffic in memphis again.

Posted by: b | December 17, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Since Donny just turned 50 and Marie's 48, how can they join their older (but still) siblings to celebrate "their 50th anniversary in entertainment"?

(Oh. Wait. We're talking about the Osmonds. Clearly they were performing even in utero. Never mind.)

Posted by: td | December 17, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I think we're not supposed to talk about ponies for awhile. I read it in the chat transcript from last Thurs. :-(

Posted by: Californian | December 17, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news everyone! Pamela ANderson and Rick Salomon are divorcing!

Darn, I lost my bet ... I gave 'em a year. Wasn't I optimistic.

Posted by: Californian | December 17, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Just saw a picture of Nicole Kidman in the tin man outfit from the front...It looks even worse if that's possible.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 17, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

**got ya!**

Actually I am pretty sure that there are PEARLS under the tree. No Libidinous Johnson, not those kind. I feel nearly certain that some oysters died to give me my really great present this year...

And yes, we are not supposed to talk about the other p-things that like sugar cubes and nice warn stalls and occasionally bite...at least for a little while, unless someone famous gets one...

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 17, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I saw some old pics of Nicole Kidman at the Annie Liebowitz exhibit at the Corcoran. I cannot, for the d@mndest, understand why she had so much work done. She was gorgeous when she started out in Australia and Hollywood. The tin man reference is apropos but so sad.

Posted by: Why Nicole, Why? | December 17, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it is really very sad to see Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino today. They were wonderful actors and we went to see their movies knowing that we would at least like to see them. Nowdays, deNiro only makes silly comedies or tired out police movies and we can hardly remember who he used to be and Pacino, with that ridiculous head of blacker than black hair is also a sad parody. Don't they have enough money to call it quits?

Posted by: ana terra | December 18, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse