Posted at 7:04 AM ET, 01/17/2008

Morning Mix: Eddie Murphy Splits from New 'Wife'

By Liz Kelly

'Mad Money' co-stars Queen Latifah, Katie Holmes and the Keaton ring the NASDAQ opening bell yesterday, Jan. 16. The exchange closed down 23 points at the end of the day. Dismissed as coincidence. (Getty Images)

Headlines: Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds split after two weeks of marriage... Ike Turner died of cocaine overdose, says medical examiner... SAG Awards untouched by writers' strike... Stephen Colbert portrait temporarily hangs in Smithsonian... George Michael signs deal to publish 2009 autobiography... California Board of Psychology investigating complaint against Dr. Phil... Faith Hill recovering from knee surgery.

Spears Watch: Brit spotted shopping for home pregnancy tests... Pal Sam Lufti says Spears is not pregnant.

Crime Watch: Judge doubles bail against O.J. Simpson for trying to contact co-defendant... Matron accused of abuse at South African Oprah school to go on trial in April... Foxy Brown asks for temporary medical release from prison.

Rumor Mill: Ashley Olsen (who was linked briefly with serial smoocher Lance Armstrong in November) spotted making out with one-time "My So-Called Life" hottie Jared Leto... Amy Winehouse's jailed husband asks for divorce... Did Sienna Miller contribute to Sean Penn/Robin Wright split?... Will Farrell planning one-man Broadway show?

Bonus: More Cruise on Scientology video.

Say What?
"Back in the day, we had real men who could do five 90-minute shows a week." -- Former late night talker Dick Cavett on his successors' over-reliance on teams of writers

Chat Day: With wintry weather on the way, what better way to weather the storm than settling in for an hour of hot celeb gossip? Celebritology Live, 2 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | January 17, 2008; 7:04 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Oprah-fication of America
Next: Hollyweirder: Brit vs. Tom vs. Eddie

Comments

So it's come to this: making fun of Britney is now *easier* than shooting fish in a barrel.

As is, apparently, getting into her pants. For her birthday we should all pitch in and get her one of those take-a-number thingies. (http://store.activec.com/takeanumber/take.asp)

Posted by: byoolin | January 17, 2008 8:27 AM | Report abuse

How it must feel to be Amy Winehouse today.

It's not every day that your husband decides he'd rather be Single.
In Jail.
Than Married.
To You.

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy is now back on the market.

Posted by: byoolin | January 17, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Jared Leto is in the category of "Celebrities Who Probably Smell Bad"

Posted by: Magnolia | January 17, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

appawantly, eddie and twacey's dweam wiffin a dweam has died.

Posted by: methinks | January 17, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

I hadn't read the caption to the picture, but the first thing I thought when I saw those three opening the NASDAQ was 'This can't be good for my investments.'

Posted by: michael | January 17, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Why is it so hard for me to feel sorry for BS? It's when she pulls crap like that. She'll play it up for the pap. becuase she loves the attention.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

that picture reminds me of little kids when they get those little fisher price light up toys that make animal noises. (why isn't it mooing diane? i don't know katie, push the button harder.)

Posted by: melissamac1 | January 17, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I hate Kat(i)e's haircut!!!!! What possessed her to get a haircut that makes her look 15 years older...oh...never mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think Sean Penn is slightly scary? What's this lovefest with Hugo Chavez, anyway? Maybe he and Naomi Campbell should hook up. Robin is well rid of him. Talk about a dweam wiffin a dweam!

Posted by: possum | January 17, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

If the rumor is to be believed, heck evn if it isn't true, I really don't like Sienna Miller.

Foxy, sweety, there are doctors and medicines in the jail. It didn't work for Paris , it won't work for you.

byoolin,
I wouldn't call that a plus side.

Posted by: petal | January 17, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

You got that right petal...it should read on the plus side Tracey Edmonds is back on the market. Then again, Eddies sloppy seconds, not so much...oops, sorry for that mental cootie

Posted by: omni | January 17, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I think I am now officially terrified by Scientologists. The statement that every person who goes to see a Tom Cruise movie is being indoctrinated is indescribably creepy to me.

Posted by: jes | January 17, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Someone please forward me the petition to have Dr. Phil's show removed from the TV. It would make my year if I never had to see or hear another Dr. Phil ad.

Posted by: no_bs_4me | January 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The unfortunate thing about those Scientology videos is that I do believe the TC has a point about people being over-medicated, and pharmaceutical companies raking in the profits, regardless of the long-term effects on people.

However, Tom Cruise has gone from sexy actor to King KooKoo-Bananas, so he just comes across as a lunatic. L. Ron Hubbard was a hack, third-rate, crap writer. Its amazing that his "work" has led to Bizarro Church.

Posted by: jelo | January 17, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

It's also silly. I saw War of the Worlds, and I feel fine. I've even read Battlefield Earth, the Hubbard novel, before it was made into a movie. I liked it a LOT, even when I started to catch the anti-psychology messages (they're really blatant toward the end). But I've known about Scientology for a long time...twenty years or so.

Posted by: 23112 | January 17, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

What is with Sienna Miller being such a homewrecker? Wasn't she also linked with Diddy when he was splitting up with his serial baby mama?

Katie Holmes haircut makes her look like Marvin the Martian evil sister.

Posted by: Dcet | January 17, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

possum, Hollywood is excited about Hugo Chavez because he called President Bush a terrorist, that is the only reason they like him.

Posted by: MLF | January 17, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Please stay strong in your contempt for Diane Keaton, Liz. You're not alone. She's bugged me for years and she's in more movies than ever now. How can one woman dress the same for 25 years? And does she beat down every wardrobe stylist so she can DRESS LIKE HERSELF in every movie?

Posted by: tbone | January 17, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Who is this Sam Lufti and why does he appear to be so intimately familiar with the contents of Britney's uterus? (speaking of mental cooties...)

Not to say that I don't desperately hope that he is correct in his assertion that Britney is not pregnant. Because I really, really, REALLY hope she's not.

Egads, when will the madness end?

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 17, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

And to think, Phil Spector trashed Tina at Ike's funeral, now it turns out Ike was still the creep Tina said he was. Tina should sue Spector back into the Dark Ages!

Posted by: mehitabel | January 17, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Hunh, so Ike and Kevin Dubrow went out the same way. There's something oddly rockstarish about going out with an OD. Obviously I think we'd all prefer if they were both still around, but that is the rock star way to go out.

I gotta go see the portrait.

Posted by: EricS | January 17, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

While the break up of any marriage is sad (well, most of them), I honestly believe Amy Winehouse will be better off without her skank husband. Now maybe she can get the help she needs and return to making music.

Posted by: ep | January 17, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I agree with ep, unlike the trainwreck that is Britney, Amy Winehouse is actually talented. Ratty bouffant, tattoos and all. Best of all she is so non-American Idol.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, Dick Cavett introduced a comment by saying, "back in the day"? That phrase has now lost all irony.

Posted by: 44West | January 17, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Remember when Jared Leto was all Jordan Catalano hot & not all weird/emo/goth? I miss those days.

Posted by: Bored @ home | January 17, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

The whole Scientolocult thing just confirms my misanthropic belief that the average person is really stupid, and half are stupider than that. Followers of that nuttier-than-squirrel-poop cult are obviously in serious need of some psychiatric help. Or am I being glib?

That photo of Amy Winehouse is Not Safe For Eyes. Lordy.

Hilarious that she's described as the "pop skank". Heh. I'd like to think the best thing that could happen to her is to get away from her enabler druggie husband, but she'll just hook up with another supplier (ahem, Pete Doherty).

Isn't "Mad Money" just a remake/rip-off of another Queen Latifah movie of years ago, "Set It Off"?

Posted by: Californian | January 17, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

"What is the attraction that these males have to Sienna Miller? She must be made of crack or somethin'."

So must Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, b/c males seem to be attracted to them too and they are beyond gross (and their cooties aren't just mental).

Posted by: Californian | January 17, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that Gossip Girl opened with a shot of Serena buying a pregnancy test last week? Maybe this is a Brit publicity ploy.

Posted by: rosebudfrozenpeas | January 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha. If you go to the "Entertainment News" link for the Post, you see a similar pic as the one above, but with this caption:

Diane Keaton, and Edith Head -- no wait, that's Katie Holmes -- ring the opening bell at the New York stock exchange, a clever way to promote their new movie, "Mad Money." (Scott Gries / Getty Images)

Posted by: arlington | January 17, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Katie Holmes looks EXACTLY like Suri in that picture.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 17, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse