Posted at 8:13 AM ET, 01/16/2008

Morning Mix: McConaughey to Be a Daddy

By Liz Kelly

George Clooney and girlfriend Sarah Larson arrive at the National Board Of Review of Motion Pictures award gala in New York on Tuesday evening. (Reuters)

Headlines: Matthew McConaughey and Brazilian girlfriend expecting baby... Democrats (heart) Denzel Washington, while Tom Hanks is tops with Republicans in poll... Oprah Winfrey gets her own cable TV network, but new poll says Americans (heart) Ellen DeGeneres more... Diane Keaton drops the F-bomb on "Good Morning America"... Sean Penn calls San Francisco Chronicle a "lamebrain paper"... Justin Timberlake gets his own Super Bowl Pepsi ad... Gwyneth Paltrow briefly hospitalized for undisclosed ailment... "Juno's" Ellen Page to star in Drew Barrymore-directed roller derby film... "High School Musical's" Zac Efron has appendix removed... Casey Affleck and Summer Phoenix welcome second son... Paul McCartney planning to exhibit late wife's photos... 25-year-old actor Brad Renfro ("The Client") found dead in his apartment... Before it disappears again, watch Tom Cruise's nine-minute Scientology screed (handy glossary of terms Tom uses).

Britney Watch: Spears reportedly strips at L.A. store... Pal Sam Lufti says Spears never wrote a suicide note... K-Fed says he and Brit's troubles are "normal"...

Rumor Mill: Amy Winehouse denied visa to enter the U.S. for Grammy performance... David Spade to be a daddy?... Is Melissa Rivers a "swag hag"?

By Liz Kelly  | January 16, 2008; 8:13 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fantasy Celebrity Political Endorsements: B-List Action Stars Edition
Next: The Oprah-fication of America

Comments

Brad Renfro was my first celebrity crush (and that of several of my friends too)

:-(

Posted by: Magnolia | January 16, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

K-fed describes troubles as "normal'. Seriously? I can't even be snarky about it anymore. Its way too far beyond normal and just sad really.

But back to being snarky, Diane Keaton still needs some work on her personality before I can begin to tolerate her films.

Posted by: michael | January 16, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

let me be the first to say i effing love diane keaton, celebritologist haters notwithstanding.

Posted by: m | January 16, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

That pic of George Clooney is so retro and ggod-looking! Like a glory-days rat packer, complete with an out-of-focus girl-du-jour.

Go Diane Keaton!

And K-Fed? First the mohawk, now a "normal problems" comment? Has he boarded the crazy train too?

Posted by: rachelt | January 16, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I liked K-Fed a lot better when he was keeping his fool mouth shut.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | January 16, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Ew ew ew. The Britney story is typical, but gross- slurring, spitting, talking with a British accent, cold sores, acne, patchy scalp? Nice!

Posted by: surlychick | January 16, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't know which was worse - Tom Cruise's shilling for the Scientologists or that incredibly annoying James Bond ripoff music in the background - I couldn't listen to either for more than a minute and half. What a way to start the day AND I can still hear that music in my heard - arggggg!

Posted by: Beachgirl | January 16, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I meant, of course, that I could still hear the music in my head. OMG! It is affecting my typing!

Posted by: Beachgirl | January 16, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

While I was flipping channels last night I was confused and stopped on the WB when I saw K-fed on one tree hill. I didn't know he had a job. He was almost playing someone other than himself, he was a struggling rocker not a rapper, wow maybe he can act! his character didn't have a mohawk but in the previews for next week he did. can't wait to see it up close.

Posted by: mohawk | January 16, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

-Now, Matthew has will have someone to walk around shirtless with.

-I found about Zac Efron from my nieces last night. They were very upset and were praying his recovery. Their parents are praying they will get over him.

-Thanks, Liz for the great picture of George Clooney. He look f*#%ing hot.

Posted by: Lisa1 | January 16, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

That photo of George Clooney reminds me of the King of the Golden Age of Movie Stars...you know, Cary Grant. I love Cary Grant more than George Clooney, but that's a damn fine picture.

Sorry to hear about Brad Renfro. He showed a lot of promise in 'The Client'. I didn't really keep up with him as he grew up.

Watched the Cruise Scientology video. Weird, weird, weird...and it kind of reminded me of his character in "Magnolia." No wonder he was so convincing as a huckster/selfabsorbed/zealot.

Posted by: methinks | January 16, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

OK so before I thought Tom Cruise was strange, and bizarre, and a good punch line. Now I'm actually afraid of him. Like, if I was in the same room with him, I would be worried he would try to drink my blood to release the aliens or something. That laugh is CREEPY.

Posted by: Omaha | January 16, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Bliss: "I can't wait to kick A$$ on wheels"

I can't wait to see this film...

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Magnolia - Me too! I totally had his picture cut out from Seventeen magazine, laminated and hung in my middle school locker for a good long while. So sad.

Posted by: SeaTac | January 16, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

The implication of the Britney story was that she was doing the nasty in the dressing room with her boyfriend of the week. Did they hose the room down with bleach after she left.

Posted by: grossed out | January 16, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Yes, George looks incredibly hot, but the woman with him? Between the eyes so swollen that it appears she's having a serious allergic reaction to something (surely not George?) and the teeth that are in desperate need of major orthodontic work, she's ruining the picture.

Posted by: Crop That Photo! | January 16, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Full disclosure to start with: I haven't been able to read the actual K-Fed remarks because my work hates such sites.

However, taken at face value, he is right in a way; the troubles he and Britney are having are normal problems in a contentious divorce. What's completely abnormal is her reactions to said problems and the 24/7 coverage that the divorce is receiving. If it weren't for her antics and the paparazzi, this would be a standard set of proceedings full of nasty letters and lawyers snarking at each other for $400 an hour.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | January 16, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Try $750-1000 per hour minimum! $400 is a bargain for a domestic relations lawyer around here! It is at least that much in LA.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Beachgirl: it wasn't Bond ripoff music, it was the Mission Impossible theme, which makes sense, because Tom Cruise starred in those movies and all. nothing else about that interview made sense, though.

Can we all just admit that the Life & Style story about Britney is made up? I realize at this point that anything with her is possible, but to have NO pictures and NO multiple sources on that story seems impossible to me. There are like 500 photographers that do nothing but just follow her around all day, and no one else came forward with the story?

Posted by: OD | January 16, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It's so sweet that Diane Keaton wants to be just like Katie Holmes!
And for god's sake, people. If Britney walks into the store, just call security. I'm sorry, 45 minutes in a changing room? Spitting, drooling? Sounds like a bag lady or a dog with rabies.

Posted by: POS | January 16, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The weirdest thing about the Tom Cruise video? I kept looking at it and being like, he's a freak, and he scares me, and I don't know what he's talking about...but he's soooo prettyyyyy....

Gack! Someone cure me, quick!!

Posted by: h3 | January 16, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

So sad about Brad Renfro.

Britney-ack. For the love of all that is holy, someone please lock her up before she infects the entire population of LA with syphilis!

"OK so before I thought Tom Cruise was strange, and bizarre, and a good punch line. Now I'm actually afraid of him. Like, if I was in the same room with him, I would be worried he would try to drink my blood to release the aliens or something." Nicely done, Omaha.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 16, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm originaly from Knoxville so the news about Brad Renfro this morning is just so dang depressing. I too had a crush on him and used to think that we'd actually met becuase we lived in the same city. (even though he was in LA and I was in Tenn...lets just say I was never a friend of maps.) My friends and I even looked up one of his relatives in the Yellow Pages one time, but we didn't have the guts to call. It's like a piece of my childhood is gone. :+(

Posted by: melissamac1 | January 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

George does look yummy in that photo.

Congrats to Matt, who as Lisa 1 put now has someone to lay top on the beach with. Providing that his girlfriend wasn't joining in the fun, if she is they can be the topless family.

Sure hope the easy breezy Gwyneth bounces back. I heard she was slumped over in the wheelchair when taken to hospital.

So sad to hear about Brad Renfro.

Posted by: petal | January 16, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

k, that's supposed to be "lay topless on the beach".

Posted by: petal | January 16, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I believe Gwynnie was laid low by the same particularly insouciant bug that hit me last week.

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I just read/heard/see something about how Matthew likes being nekkid? It said that he was 9 when he was finally made to wear swim trunks. I hate getting old, cuz I can not remember where I read/heard/saw this.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 10:35 AM
******************************************

Comment of the week. Hands down.

Posted by: Magnolia | January 16, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

So, apparently our hospitals are good enough for Gwyneth. Surely with all your connections you could have skipped the socialized queue, dearie

The Scientologists are really starting to scare me. I remember when they were just regular folks who happened to belong to this offbeat religion: Kirstie Alley, John Travolta. Now, they'r everywhere and trying to take over.

Posted by: ep | January 16, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Re: Gwyneth Paltrow in the hospital: Is insouciance covered by her health plan?

Posted by: TallulahBankrupt | January 16, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, after the McConaughey and Spade news, why not go for the trifecta and tell us that one of Woody Harrelson's sperm found an unfertilized egg, too?

Surely those three becoming fathers at the same time is a Sign Of The Apocalypse.

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Crud! I hit submit instead of preview.
What I meant to say was:
Re: Gwyneth Paltrow in the hospital: Is insouciance covered by her health plan or is it considered a pre-existing condition?

Posted by: TallulahBankrupt | January 16, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey 10:35 am:

I really thought you were going to say "I hate getting old because now I have to wear swim trunks."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | January 16, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Tom Hanks is the tops among R pols? They do know he's a big fundraiser for the D party, right? Just saying...

Posted by: EricS | January 16, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Is Melissa Rivers a swag hag"??

Well, she sure is a hag all right.... Maybe she could take one o' them swag bags and just place it directly over her mug, thus saving us all the agony of looking at that, uh, face.

Oh man I'm in a bad mood today....

Posted by: ja | January 16, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Can we just pause for a minute here about the fact that Janice Dickinson feeling that she can weigh in on the whole Britney issue...Come now...Pot meet Kettle...

I mean...who decided it was even a good decision to ask her about it? Ridiculous...

Posted by: Ohyouknow | January 16, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"Is insouciance covered by her health plan or is it considered a pre-existing condition?"

ah, touche, tallulahbankrupt

Posted by: methinks | January 16, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Sorry byoolin, my comment of the week vote goes to tallulahbankrupt.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 16, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I tried watching the Tom Cruise Scientology video but ... nothing he said made any sense. So I guess I understood it, right? Someone is a little wacky and I think it's Tommy-boy.

Posted by: pnina | January 16, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

why would you want treatment for insouciance? If I had, insouciance, which I don't, I would not accept treatment - I would claim to be a Jehovah's Witness and say that God wants me to be light hearted and free from anxiety, and anyone who wanted to treat me for it would have to get some kind of court order.

Posted by: sunnydaze | January 16, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Darn, beaten to the punch(line).

I was going to suggest that Gwyneth was admitted to the hospital with a low insouciance count, but after receiving emergency transfusions the media darling was later spotted leaving by the rear door, once again insouciantly.

Posted by: niceFLguy | January 16, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Not to defend Brit, but if she really did that in a MALL store of all places, don't you think that'd be on YouTube by now? Just to get to the store she would have created quite a following, of paps and fans, then they would have been hanging around for 45 minutes. Seems like more people would be coming out of the woodwork if this were really true.

Posted by: rachelt | January 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I had a case of insouciance once - a little penicillin cleared it right up.

Posted by: rachelt | January 16, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Excellent, EXCELLENT pix of George Clooney! So reminescent of Cary Grant. And THAT's a GOOD THING!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

We need some new Gwyneth material. There's got to be something about a doctor proscribing an apple, or similar.

Posted by: Sigh | January 16, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

uh-oh... the running joke killers are back...

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Does this air of insouciance make my butt look fat? And would I really care if it did?

Posted by: niceFLguy | January 16, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

At what point does someone just lock Britney up and throw away the key? It's just beyond belief now.

Who woulda thunk that Brad Renfro would be found dead before Brit and Amy Winehouse? Very sad.

Is there something in the water in L.A. that is making every female celeb pregnant? Maybe birth control was outlawed there or something.

Posted by: Californian | January 16, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I love Dianne Keaton and that has nothing to do with the fact that I am anonymous.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If someone put a gun to my head and said Diane or Katie...Diane no question...Katie might be contagious you know.

Posted by: omni | January 16, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Ok- the stuff with Brit is not even close to funny anymore. Someone from her camp needs to forcibly have her committed. It can be done- my friend who is bipolar, was wrestled into an ambulance that took her promptly to a psychiatric ward after her mother, husband and I implored authorities to take her in for her own protection. Fortunately now she is on appropriate medication and is learning to live with her mental illness.

And that screw-up ex-husband of hers needs to keep his pie-hole closed.

Posted by: plamar1031 | January 16, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: niceFLguy | January 16, 2008 01:23 PM
******************************************

I think an air of insouciance makes a person's head look fat.

Posted by: Office Girl | January 16, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

LIZ KELLY--I wasn't an English major, but shouldn't that read 'K-Fed says HIS and Brit's troubles are "normal"'? Or maybe he really is claiming that HE is normal?

So sorry about Brad Renfro. What a shame.

Posted by: sen | January 16, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Justin Timberlake gets his own Super Bowl Pepsi ad"

So much for JT's career. Clearly, his manager didn't mention the Pepsi TV ad curse before Justin inked the deal. I thought everybody knew by now that doing commercial spots for Pepsi is an automatic career killer.

Think about the body count: MC Hammer, Van Halen, Ludacris, Jessica Simpson, not to mention former JT squeeze-turned-psychomom Britney. Michael Jackson caught fire while filming a Pepsi ad, and Ray Charles, well, died. Better rethink this one, dude.

Posted by: MisterBear | January 16, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

ROFL, MisterBear!

Apparently the Cruises had dinner with the Seinfelds recently. Uh oh. Tom-Crazy doesn't see friends, he just sees potential recruits. Jerry & Jessica might wanna rethink that one.

Posted by: Californian | January 16, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Paula Abdul do a Pepsi ad, too??

Posted by: WDC 21113 | January 16, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Whitney Houston also did a Pepsi ad. Hers and MJ's were parodied in the video for Neil Young's "This Note's For You."

Posted by: byoolin | January 16, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Cruise has that relgious zealot look on his face. It's the same look Fred Phelps & the whack job followers of the Westboro Baptist church have when they picket soldiers funerals screaming how "God Hates (homophobic slur I won't type here)!!"

It's that look of righteous indignation at you & all of your kind cause we're better than you, we're never wrong & you're gonna burn in hell (or their version of hell) if you don't buy our line of religious reasoning.

Posted by: Bored @ home | January 16, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Britney watch: Seems there are pictures of her and the new boyfriend looking at pregnancy tests. I can only say I hope it's just a big old hoax they are playing on those that follow her every where she goes.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Here's the britney link. 3:08 scooped me.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I've done some reading on Gwyneth's condition in the psychology literature, and have discovered that her condition, "Insouciance, DSM IV and a Half, 42.31.7.1," is often caused by receiving a pony on demand during childhood. Look at it this way: If YOU got a pony every time you asked for one, would you care about anything?

Posted by: Sasquatch | January 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Dr. Clooney can treat my insouciance any time he wants. He can even work on the ennui and creeping Weltschmertz.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

That photo of Clooney is so beautiful! And yet, can we admit that he's a fan of the Botox? I do believe that he has had more wrinkles in the forehead area in older photos, and if he still smokes you know the lines around his mouth should be deeper and more plentiful.

Posted by: miss belle | January 16, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

So not a running joke killer (I've been with Liz online through Gene pre-Celebritology)...I just thought there was a little more material to explore. The apple thing, kinda funy, eh? Eh?

Also, I do know the difference between prescribing and proscribing...oops.

Posted by: Sigh | January 16, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Eddie "Father a Child and then Deny It" Murphy and that woman dumb enough to marry him have split.

Now if only the Spice Girl who had Murphy's baby was smart enough to dump her animal-abuser husband. Sigh.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty late checking up on Celebritology today but, hands down, this is the best article I've ever read about Scientology and what it's all about. It will really freak you out.

I can't believe people these celebrities that we like and follow actually buy into this crap.

Posted by: melinda | January 16, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

yeah, scientology and it's followers are pretty frightening on epic, biblical scale. To have so many high profile celebs be involved in such a subversive cult is truly astonsishing.

Posted by: rachelt | January 16, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

yea, most of those celebs in scientology aren't very well educated, travolta's a hs dropout, cruise is no college boy either, so they didn't learn much in the way of critical thinking

Posted by: HRL | January 16, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

that tom cruise video is bananas. he's totally cuckoo. and it's frightening. is he talking jubberish or is it just me?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse