Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 01/23/2008

Morning Mix: Ledger's Parents Say Death Was an Accident

By Liz Kelly

Headlines: Heath Ledger dead at 28... Autopsy inconclusive, additional tests could take 10 days... Family says death was an accident... Death stuns attendees at Sundance Film Festival... Ringo Starr walks off set of "Live with Regis and Kelly"... Beyonce and Tina Turner to duet at Grammys... Lenny Kravitz says he's been celibate for three years... Fans line up to see Clay Aiken in "Spamalot"... Demi Moore takes it (almost) all off for magazine cover... Judge says Denise Richards reality show can go on.

Spears Watch: Brit to make new bid for custody of kids... Wife of Brit's former paparazzo beau files for divorce... Ghalib says Spears wants his baby.

Rumor Mill: Rep says Amy Winehouse is not in rehab (no, no, no).

Say What?
"Oh, that stupid voice of his and the fake teeth! Honestly, I cringe to think about it." -- Kathleen Turner reminisces about "Peggy Sue Got Married" co-star Nicolas Cage

"Maybe if Hillary was discussing her fat thighs Oprah would have had her on." -- Former sitcom star Roseanne Barr, registering her distate for Winfrey's backing of Barack Obama

-- Updated 10:19 a.m. ET

By Liz Kelly  | January 23, 2008; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heath Ledger Dead at 28
Next: For Heath Ledger, a Surprise Ending

Comments

So sad about Heath Ledger.

Posted by: h3 | January 23, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Augh. What a crashingly bad idea to have your 2 & 4 year olds on a reality show. I like Denise Richards even less now.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | January 23, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

"Asked what he would say if Spears proposed marriage, [Adnan Ghalib] said, 'Would anybody say no?'"

Addie, baby, everyone but you would say "no". And a sizable majority would answer her question with a question: "Are you nucking futs?" (Or something like that.)

Posted by: byoolin | January 23, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Heath Ledger is the second person I thought was cute when I was growing up to die of an overdose recently.

A Denise Richards reality show? Does she think people will watch? I agree that having her kids on it is the worst idea ever. I've never been much of a fan of hers and this is exactly why.

Posted by: Magnolia | January 23, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I don't know about you all, but I'm still really shocked about Heath Ledger. I haven't been this stunned by a celeb death since Princess Diana. So, so sad.

Posted by: Juicy | January 23, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"Lenny Kravitz says he's been celibate for three years."

Is it a coincidence that the last time one of his singles charted was in 2005? DSB is a tremendous impediment to creativity.

Posted by: byoolin | January 23, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

"What a crashingly bad idea to have your 2 & 4 year olds on a reality show"

Ditto. The judge should not have allowed that.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Its a shame about Heath Ledger. i always enjoyed his movies (I even enjoyed Roar).

Who knew Charlie Sheen would be the good parent?

Also, Demi Moore might have the best body money can buy.

Posted by: michael | January 23, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Wanting to put your small children in a reality show should be grounds for losing custody. BTW, Denise, don't give Britney any ideas.

Still not processing Heath Ledger's death fully. Such a shock. So much talent gone and a genuinely nice guy gone much too soon.

Posted by: ep | January 23, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Really shocking and really sad about Heath Ledger. I've had a crush on him since "Roar". I feel horrible for his little girl.

On a totally unrelated note, clearly Roseanne Barr is a political genius. And by political genius, I mean a has-been whose opinion you couldn't pay me to care about. (NOTE TO CELEBRITOLOGY REGULARS: please do not view this as a defense of Oprah. Thanks.)

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 23, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Also, Denise Richards=ugh. Why is she even famous? I'm fairly sure *I'm* a better actress than she is.

Denise, honey, your kids are going to be screwed up enough as it is. Don't make it worse.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 23, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Hold the phones...Paris Hilton thinks Britney is a good mother. Maybe its Paris with the mental problems.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Rep says Amy Winehouse is not in rehab (no, no, no)."

Ah, maybe she should be? Oh, BTW that (no, no, no) never gets old, Liz Kelly

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm really sad about Heath's passing and feel for his family.

If Denise can get a reality show I expect producers to knock on my door any second now. Come on now who is rally going to put any time into watching Denise? Who? Even when nothing is on.

Posted by: petal | January 23, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Kathleen Turner isn't exactly all that herself.

Posted by: jlr | January 23, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

that's supposed to be "really".

Posted by: petal | January 23, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Hillary is like, so lucky to have Roseanne pulling for her. She should get together with Bill on the campaign trail. That would put the final nail in Hillary's political coffin for sure.

Posted by: possum | January 23, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Actually, in the movie Peggy Sue Got Married, Nicholas Cage wore fake teeth and had this almost nasely voice. It was very funny.

I remember reading an article about him several years ago where he said, he was in several films before he used his real voice.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I have to give major kudos to the TMZ guy yesterday. On CNN, he was downplaying the rumors of Heath's suicide and was the only source to mention his pnumonia. The death is still tragic, particularly because of its accidental and possibly preventable nature.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | January 23, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why I am so troubled by Heath Ledger's death. I didn't know him personally. I've enjoyed a few of his movies (and didn't enjoy others). But why should a person I've never met, nor spent much time thinking about, affect me so after his passing? I wish I could explain it.

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | January 23, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Adnan Ghalib as Robert Frost:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two cars took chase in Hollywood, and she -
Got out of hers to get in with me!
And that has made all the difference.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | January 23, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Demi Moore = Cougar-ific!

Kathleen Turner = Runner-up in "Scariest Actress" to Dianne Keaton

Britney Spears = Giving a bad name to Trailer Park Princesses and Mobile Home Court Queens throughout the South

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | January 23, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky, You. Are. A. Genius.
Wish I'd thought of it first.

Posted by: byoolin | January 23, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

check this out and feel ill

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Juicy | January 23, 2008 08:51 AM

I'm totally with you, Juicy. I cried watching CNN coverage last night -- that's pretty bad! It's just such a shame. Most likely an accident, and just so sad, most especially for his daughter.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

AP's reporting Ledger's autopsy was inconclusive.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

AP also reporting he had pneumonia and had an Rx for Ambien.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

My condolences to Heath Ledger's family and friends.

If Demi Moore could spend 200k for cosmetic surgery, why didn't she pay her an acting coach? I'm sure it's much cheaper and it may lead to film work.

Posted by: Lisa1 | January 23, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

thank you, lisa1, for the comment re: demi moore. she complains about the lack of roles for older actresses yet (1) she can't act and (2) refuses to age gracefully. there's an awful lot of cosmetic surgery in her 45 year old body.

also, MoCoSnarky, i nominate you for poet laureate of Celebritology. That was beautiful man (or woman?). It brought a tear to me eye.

Posted by: methinks | January 23, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

second MoCoSnarky's nomination for poet laureate of Celebritology. Brilliant.

Posted by: Sunnydaze | January 23, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I think the shock that most people felt by Heath Ledger's death (and the speculation that he was on the H) demonstrates that one can maintain some privacy as a celebrity if one really wants to. (Not commenting on whether the drug use is true or not, just that there was little talk about it that would tip anyone off to a potential problem.)
On the other hand, if you invite the paparazzi to come photograph and chronicle your every move, you have no business complaining that you have no privacy. Right, Britney?

Posted by: still | January 23, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky - beautiful. But wait - is BritBrit the road LESS traveled?

Posted by: ex cap | January 23, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm fairly sure she was a model, and like many models, tried to parlay her success there into an acting career. I think anybody who once took a high school drama class is a better actress than her.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The passing of Heath Ledger is very tragic especially when we are stuck watching the Britney Train speeding for a brick wall. I give it two years before it crashes, burns, and the AP will have to announce her obituary.

Posted by: no_bs_4me | January 23, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about Heath so I'll just comment on Lenny Kravitz instead.

I'll gladly volunteer to help him through his "dry spell."

Posted by: Bored @ home | January 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd advise Ghalib to zip it and run for the hills.

Posted by: WI | January 23, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Seems BritBrit left the courthouse before the hearing started. Probably for the best as she's in no condition to be around 2 small children.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse