Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/ 3/2008

Trailer Trash: Katie Holmes in 'Mad Money'

By Liz Kelly

So yesterday I nipped out in the middle of the day to take in a matinee of "Charlie Wilson's War." I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm a slacker of the first order. You're thinking this is the part where I declare this film the worst hair movie ever. (Seriously, big props to the stylist who can make Julia Roberts look like a skeleton wearing a labradoodle and to the cataract-ridden person who dyed Philip Seymour Hoffman's hair black -- you missed a spot!)

However, today's post is dedicated to a much more important topic -- the trailer for "Mad Money," the mind-melting upcoming release which promises approximately 90 minutes of "entertainment" facilitated by the detestable Diane Keaton, the I'm-in-everything Queen Latifah and the pert shell of what used to be Katie Holmes.

How bad could it possibly be? Based on the trailer alone (see above), I'd have to say it ranks somewhere between "Because I Said So" and "Ishtar." It even made the next trailer, for the latest Jack Nicolson old-fart flick, "The Bucket List," seem promising. (He's an irascible senior getting in touch with his emotions! No Diane Keaton! What's not to like?!)

So, yeah, "Mad Money" would be shown to its best advantage beamed on to a crumbling wall at Gitmo in the guise of psychological torture, but let's get back to Katie Holmes. In the two-minute promo trailer, she appears in almost every scene -- there she is dancing down the hall with a janitorial cart, there she is shoving wads of money into her undies and there she is acting like a dingbat -- but speaks just a few lines in a clip utterly owned by Latifah and Keaton. What's the deal? Was Katie the victim of a vengeful editor or is Mrs. Cruise's acting just that bad?

"Mad Money" marks Holmes's first return to the big screen since her marriage to the couch-jumping wonder. Will she live up to the promise of her once-budding film career ("Pieces of April," "The Ice Storm") or will this movie seal her fate as Tom Cruise's red carpet arm candy and not much more? We'll find out on Jan. 18. (Or, someone will and they'll tell me. Because I plan to see "Cloverfield.")

By Liz Kelly  | January 3, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TomKat
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Brit's Lawyers Jump Ship
Next: Morning Mix: Spears Hospitalized After Custody Standoff

Comments

I have called in sick or left work to see 300, Spiderman 2 & 3, Die Hard 3, Pirates of Caribbean and Enchanted ( I like my "princess movies") so I can't judge.

Mad Money will be on DVD by Valentine's Day.

Posted by: Lisa1 | January 3, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, until I read this bit it hadn't occurred to me that there might be another way to use the word "wads" in the same sentence as "[Katie Holmes'] undies."

Thank you for expanding my vocabulary!

Posted by: byoolin | January 3, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Dingbat-itis seems to be running amock in the Hollywood "elite."

Liz, do you think think there will be more cases of Dingbangs-unite or Smarty-pants'r'us this year?

Posted by: unmute | January 3, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Cloverfield, good choice. Very, very good choice.

Posted by: EricS | January 3, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Mrs. Cruise's acting skills, I really do think that they have deteriorated. Wait, wait. Come to think of it, I never found her to be a good actress, even during her Dawson's Creek days.

Posted by: unmute | January 3, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

At one time I would have disagreed with you about Diane Keaton - but between Mad Money and Because I Said So there is just not much I can come up with to defend. Shame Diane. Shame.

Posted by: sjcpeach | January 3, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Just to remind you people, Mrs. Cruise turned down the sequel to Batman Begins (w/Christian Bale) to star in this dreck.

I love going to see movies in the middle of the day, I saw three while I was on vacation this last week and a half. Best $18.50 I ever spent. Juno, Sweeney Todd and Atonement all must sees.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 3, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Did Katie Holmes continue on with the Batman saga? She's not in the upcoming one as far as I know.... I've never seen her in anything else (hah! movie-wise, that is! Although her surreal life is entertaining enough!), but I would think that a no-fail thriller role would appeal to Mrs. Cruise. Was there something there about her turning it down or was she passed over? Hmmm maybe I'll do an IMDB for Katie-bot Cruise....

Posted by: rachelt | January 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Katie was in The Ice Storm? Was she the klepto daughter's friend?
Did she really think marrying Tom was going to help her career? Or did love make her stupid, or what?! What a shame.

Posted by: POS | January 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

You would think that powerhouse Mr. Cruise could hook the little lady up with a decent role in a movie. I think this was designed to tank her career. Poor dear, at least Nicole got to leave with her career.

Lisa1,
We must have been at some of the same movies, except for Enchanted. I did present a masterful perormance to see Lord of the Rings. It was my best fake sinus issue to date.

Posted by: petal | January 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@POS - Yes, Katie was Libbets in the Ice Storm - the object of Tobey McGuire's crush if I recall...

Posted by: logan | January 3, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"Couch-jumping wonder"

LOLLER. I love it.

Posted by: glebe | January 3, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think that I might go see "Mad Money."

And, monkeys might fly outta my butt...

Posted by: 16828 | January 3, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame we can't have a mashup of Cloverfield and Mad Money, where the girls get stomped by the monster. "I saw it, it's alive, it's huge, and it just stepped on three sassy gals!" *cheers erupt*

Posted by: 23112 | January 3, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

since we're sorta talking about keaton & nicholson--doesn't it seem that as some great (or once great) actors get older they stop acting and act like themselves in movies. both of them are prime examples...in every movie they are the same person. keaton is a crazed, neurotic whack-job and nicholson as a crochity old crank pot/dirty old man. i'm trying to think of some others...pacino, maybe?

Posted by: kmentzer | January 3, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

It is a good bet that any movie whose trailer features both "Lady Marmalade" and Kat(i)e Holmes acting "kooky" is not the movie for me.....but I am all over Cloverfield.

Also, I too saw Juno this past week and my friend and I agreed it was one of the best movies either of us had ever seen.

Posted by: Magnolia | January 3, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Also, does the fact that Ted Danson is in this movie too combined with the picture of him in the Morning Mix give credence to the theory that he may be dumb as a doornail?

Posted by: Magnolia | January 3, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I think I read during the concurrent publicity for both "Batman Begins" and the Cruise-Holmes union that the producers, studios, whoever makes these decisions, that they as good as said they weren't asking Katie back for the Batman sequel.

Posted by: Kleewrite | January 3, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I've heard that Tommie nixes many good scripts that katie gets because they require the swapping of bodily fluids and he is enforcing a no-tongue rule on her roles.

Posted by: yellojkt | January 3, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey, watch it on the "Ishtar" comments. That movie is a cult classic!

As for KH, she was very good in both "Pieces of April" and "Thank You for Smoking." She's got the talent, but, married to that idiot, she'll probably never do a good role again.

Pity.

Posted by: magpie | January 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather poke my eyes out with a stick (or watch Mad Money) than see that new Jack Nicholson movie . . . even the television ads make me nauseated. And yes, kmentzer, I think "Jack Nicholson" has now morphed from a person to a character. I've always thought that about Diane Keaton, too, from the first time I ever saw her in Annie Hall: by about halfway through that movie, I was thinking she seemed to be a parody of herself. But to drag the conversation back to the topic du jour, Kat(i)e Holmes seems to have absolutely NO screen presence whatsoever, which may be why no one can remember her being in any movies. So I wouldn't expect her to actually RUIN Mad Money so much as just appear as a black hole or vaccuum onscreen from time to time.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | January 3, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh my god, she was Tobey's girlfriend who passes out! Thanks! Wow, everyone else went on to great things, and think of acting with the likes of Sigourney Weaver, Joan Allen and Kevin Kline and then coming to this.
She'll never get away. Tom's got that damn turkey baster poised for another, um, load.

Posted by: POS | January 3, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

If you want to gag some more, look at Diane Keaton's pictures in last weekend's Parade magazine. Even more detestable....

Posted by: BDWEsqTM | January 3, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

This blogger is an idiot. You need to be fired by your sleazy posts.
You have not even seen the movie.

Posted by: Sharon | January 3, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

FYI,Nolan's new interview said Katie dropped out. If you have facts from Variety,CNN and Wall Street Journal and not from National Enquirer or conspiracy balonies then its reported Katie turned down Batman even with a raise from BB's 1 million to 2 million for TDK.

Mad Money is new to her as in a comedy unlike TDK similar to her girl next door performances in Dawson's Creek. Add MM is not as long and grueling as a 9 month shoot for Batman since she's one devoted mom.

This post is so disgusting same with jealous hateful lowlives here stemming from a person.

Posted by: Agnes | January 3, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Now this is what white trash journalism is all about.

Posted by: Nina | January 3, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Liz Kelly you just inspired me to watch this movie even more and since when did fans listen to critics to watch a movie? You're not even a critic but just a spiteful gossip columnist who has a lot of growing up to do.

Posted by: Emma | January 4, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, the Scientologists and the Diane Keaton Fan Club have found the blog! Please don't take any of these posts to heart Liz - they're just masochists who secretly love to read the things they abhor. Everyone else here loves you and wants you to keep up the good work.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 4, 2008 7:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 4, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye Liz Kelly!!!!!

Posted by: Frances | January 4, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

You got better nothing to do than make fun of Julia Roberts,Phillip Seymour Hoffman,Keaton and Holmes.
Very professional.

NOT.

Posted by: Beth | January 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I didnt know you base a movie or performance on someone's personal life?

shame on this blogger!!!!!

Posted by: Dette | January 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

My husband is a Batman fanatic who's on top of every tidbit of info about these new movies, and he told me that Katie Holmes was not asked to return for The Dark Knight. I think the official word is that she quit, but insiders say she was fired. Either way, thank God. She was terrible in an otherwise great movie, and now we get a much better actress, Maggie Gyllenhaal, instead.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but Warner Bros. PR director Clint Morris said Katie left and that Warner will not do Wonder Woman with Katie and some films with her for awhile because they are unhappy that she left TDK.

Have you read the new Christopher Nolan interview on Wizard Universe?
He said Katie left.

Im a Batman fanatic too and Im on every forum on this film.Im on every forum from BOF,IMDB,Superherohype,The Planet,Gotham,Joblo,Chud,Latino Review you name it. Katie outclasses Maggie in every way and funny till this day its Katie dominating many threads on Batman and many guys are asking for Katie.
They dont seem happy with Maggie onboard.
All you read is " where's Katie,why Katie?,how dare you Cruise,Cruise jealous of Bale,Katie should have returned etc etc etc....the whining is killing me.

Posted by: Mona | January 4, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for the free publicity you gave this small Independent comedy,Liz. Im looking forward to it now.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 4, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

THIS TYPE OF JOURNALISM JUST HIT ROCK BOTTOM.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 4, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Katie remains a class act compared this tacky site that is so moronic,misleading,juvenile and uninformed.

You said so yourself you are vengeful. Did Tom and Katie not sign your autograph or something or they killed your dog?
Your hate for them is so downright creepy you need to repent or see your psychologist. The old fart flick you called on Nicholson and Freeman I plan to see along with Katie on Mad Money. What a step backwards for you starting the New Year.

Posted by: MJ | January 5, 2008 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: | January 3, 2008 12:03 PM

___________________________________________

You're wrong. Katie Holmes was not asked to return for Dark Knight. They did not want her in the movie.

Posted by: correction | January 5, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't waste my time or money. Trailer trash is right. You can count on it...if Katie Holmes is in it, it will be a bad movie.

Posted by: me | January 5, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

CNN Entertainment,Variety and Wall Street Journal said Katie earned 1 million in Begins and was given a raise of 2 million for TDK. She ditched TDK then 2 months later Maggie was cast. This is from producer Charles Roven himself and recently from Chris Nolan. Those are reliable sources not rumors from internet gossipers.
Im watching this movie and Cloverfield.

Posted by: Anna | January 5, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Its interesting that many people who watched the advance screening of Mad Money at Florida,Boston and last month at Anaheim,Calif. all love the movie. Many expected it to be crappy but were wrong about it. They highly recommended it and many loved it unlike 27 Dresses.

Posted by: tx | January 5, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Mad Money and Batman were filming at the same time but I wished Katie did both. I read reports Cruise was worried of her romantic scenes opposite the hunky Christian Bale likewise what happened with her deleted sex scenes with Aaron Eckhart in Thank you for Smoking. Its all coincidence that Aaron Eckhart is the actor playing Harvey Dent who is also the semi love interest again of Katie if she returned for this role.

Posted by: Happy New Year | January 5, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Im so there!!!!!!!

Posted by: DisgustedbythisPost | January 6, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I have to see this movie...It was filmed in my hometown (Shreveport, LA).

Posted by: Henry | January 9, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse