Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 02/11/2008

Comment Box: Celebs Who Give, Give, Give; 'Lost' Overload?

By Liz Kelly

(Getty Images)

Which A-listers give the most actual monetary donations to charity? -- Submitted to last week's Celebritology Live discussion

Based on the most recent hard data I could find, Oprah Winfrey is the giving-est celeb of all. Like her or not, In 2006 alone O gave more than $58 million to various charities, including her South African school, her Angel Network and various other organizations.

Celebs aren't just valuable assets to charitable orgs for their wallets, but also for their ability to raise awareness and inspire us average Janes to emulate their acts of goodwill. Coming next month to a TV near you, Oprah launches "The Big Give," a new reality show that gives contestants bundles of cash and challenges them to lavish it on worthy causes. And, for a non-Oprah example, look back no further than last week when Madonna raised some U.N. hackles and $5.5 million when she threw a glitzy fundraiser to benefit UNICEF and Malawi.

Some celebs go in for a more hands on approach -- think Brad Pitt and his New Orleans rebuilding project or Bob Geldof and the other musicians who performed at 2005's Live 8 concerts. To keep track of charitable acts by celebs, you might want to bookmark Look to the Stars -- an org that chronicles both the top giving celebs and the charities on the receiving end of their largesse. If you're more of an eco-conscious donator, Ecorazzi blogs about which celebs get green with their cash.

Comment of the Week
I retched a little when I saw "Tom Jones" and "boyzilian" in the same sentence. -- still comments on last Thursday's Morning Mix

Have We 'Lost' Our Self Control?
1. Liz Kelly, how about we do a "Pride & Prejudice" analysis for the next 3 Mondays?

Great idea for the TV blog. Here in Celebritology land we confine ourselves to analyses of Colin Firth's merits and shows containing smoke monsters.

2. How about doing one of those polls to see how many people want a separate "Lost" chat, at least to gauge the demand?

Okay, fair enough.

By Liz Kelly  | February 11, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Rules Edition
Next: Morning Mix: Lenny Kravitz Hospitalized

Comments

As one of the three people in the world who don't watch Lost, I skip all the talk about it and would be perfectly happy if all chats were to cease.

That said, I don't really care if you do talk about it, just as long as there's a morning mix.

Posted by: Em | February 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Also, does Bill Gates count as a celebrity? How about Warren Buffet? I know those guys (tentative celebrity status) and they give WAY WAY more than probably all of Hollywood combined. All of Hollywood in history, compared to a single week for the Gates.

Posted by: Em | February 11, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Sigh. Em, I too do not watch Lost. And I really miss the Friday lists. Given the results of the poll so far, I guess I will have to wait for the end of the Lost season to see the Friday lists again. Sigh.

Posted by: JL | February 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I was thinking the results leaned more toward a separate Lost chat on Fridays, much like the Thursday chat; if that is the case, then the Friday lists could still be safe and folks could still chat about Lost.

(However, I could be completely misinterpreting the polls. :) )

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I took Friday discussion to be an online chat - am I wrong?

I don't watch Lost and really don't like how it has seeped into the Celebritology realm - Liz, I realize that you love it, but I skip the end of the chats b/c I don't care.

Posted by: Betty | February 11, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm another who doesn't watch "Lost" and have stoped reading anything that comes up about it. It takes up way to much of Celebritology space if you ask me.

Posted by: MLF | February 11, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Ooooh, I thought the Friday discussion meant a separate Friday chat. Was I wrong?

I loved, loved, loved LOST in the first couple of seasons, but then stopped watching when I realized that the writers and producers were just f'ing with us.

Posted by: Magnolia | February 11, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

"Lost"? Is that still on? I haven't seen a word about it.

Seriously, between the Celebritology obsession with Gilligan's Soap Opera and the TV chats going gaga over American Idol, it becomes kind of tedious.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I voted for LOST to get its own weekly Friday discussion because I can't get enough LOST talk.

Seriously people, just get the season one DVDs. You'll finish the series in about a week, it's addicting.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Actually Liz Kelly I was not serious about the P&P analysis, but the fact that you felt it would be more suited in the TV Blog while turning over precious Celebritology blog space to Lost is just a little disconcerting.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Totally hope you'll do a Friday chat. Don't forget the Thursday yaplet only works for East and Central time zones ... don't forget your loyal fans out here in Mtn and Pacific!

Posted by: stamo | February 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I've given up joining the Thursday chats because of all the Lost talk. Incredibly boring unless you are a member of that cult.

Posted by: Grimm | February 11, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Gilligan's Soap Opera"

Nice one, yellojkt. LOL

Posted by: MisterBear | February 11, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I too do not watch Lost. Obscure reference shows that promise to resolve the mystery each week then don't annoy the heck out of me.

That said, I realize some of you love it. So, if we must have a Lost analysis can it be in addition to the regular Friday stuff, not in place of?

Posted by: ep | February 11, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I do not watch Lost either. Then again, I never saw a complete Star Wars movie, did not watch "Friends" and didn't understand all the fuss about "Grey's Anatomy." I watched it the first time, when it was called "St. Elsewhere."

But if you want to chat about it, I, much like Kanye West, cannot stop a cultural juggernaut. As Usher would implore to all of us, "we are all winners here."

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I do watch "Lost," and I love the Dueling Analysis; I think that what has happened should be blamed on the networks: "Lost" used to be a Wednesday night program (and thusly, Liz and Jen were chatting about it on Thursdays). Now that it has moved to Thursday nights, the Celebritology posts for Fridays - including the beloved lists - have been sortof run over.

Blame them, not Liz.

Posted by: just one more | February 11, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I should've written: "PLEASE blame them, and not Liz."

Actually, maybe we could devote the last 15 minutes of the Thursday chat for taking nominations for the Friday List, instead of talking about "Lost."

That way, Liz gets a head-start on Fridays (which will become very busy for her): a morning mix, a Friday List, and the "Lost" Dueling Analysis.

Posted by: just one more | February 11, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. I'm with 11:54. You can spend Celebritology time talking about Lost (TV show) but not about P&P (TV show)?

That said, it's Liz Kelly's column/chat and she can do whatever she wants.

But how about that haughty hottie, Mr. Darcy?

Posted by: blue moon | February 11, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

another loyal reader who does not watch lost....

Posted by: bm | February 11, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think there is enough of us that have voted to keep up the Friday "Lost" discussion. I think that is how I started reading Celebritology- when I stumbled across one of the "Lost" discussions. This is the only site where you can have a pretty cogent discussion without thumbing through too many pages like one would have to do say on TWOP. Maybe the "lists" can be done on Thursdays.

Posted by: plamar1031 | February 11, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what you do with Lost, but I don't watch it so I am sufficiently "lost" when you talk about it. Definitely do a P&P Chat! I heart Mr. Darcy!

Posted by: Marie | February 11, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I voted for "Friday discussion" thinking it meant "chat on Friday so that people coming to the Celebritology blog and chat never again have to see a TV show explicated to within an inch of its life." Please, Liz, I know this is your gig and you love "Lost," but let "Lost" have its own separate space and leave Celebritology (blog and chat) to celebrity stuff.

Posted by: SatchelFan | February 11, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Liz--maybe we can have a picture of Colin Firth/Mr. Darcy to accompany our discussion of his merits. Just to get us started. . .

(Yes, I did watch the Jane Austen specials rather than the Super Bowl or Grammys. They are my "must see" programming for the duration.)

Posted by: alexandria | February 11, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Liz's busy Fridays, what about also producting Hax's chat on top of all that? If the extra Friday thing happens they better step up the pay a little ;-) I don't really pay attention to the Lost discussions. I've watched a few episodes (from season 1 maybe?) and reading the analysis just confuses me more. I'd like to start watching but now I'm intimidated by the AMOUNT OF STUFF to analyze.

Posted by: PGM | February 11, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I like the Lost discussions more than I like the show at this point. I kinda got annoyed with the show and miss episodes--I figured I'd buy the series collection of DVDs at the end and watch them all then. In the meantime, tho, I assiduously pore over everything Liz and Jen write (and recommend) so I'm not totally out of it.

Please keep the Lost discussions--whenever and wherever!

Posted by: sen | February 11, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Liz, if you do create a separate chat for the Lost group, can you still keep the friday blog with your and Jen's analysis going? The comment threads for the blog are fab, if I do say so myself. They take on a life or their own and it would be a shame to snuff it out. Yeah, I hear ya. Lost overload, totally.

Posted by: Not Shlomo | February 11, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I love the Dueling Analysis, and I hope you keep it. I look forward to it almost as much as I do the show.

As for Oprah, I do think it's wonderful that she gives and that she gives so much. I just wish she weren't so vocal about it. I mean, really, do we need TV shows advertising her charity? I'd have more respect for her if she kept it a bit quieter. I wonder if she does it more for the attention she receives than for those she's helping. "See how great I am?"

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I freakin' HATE Lost. Give me back my Friday List!!!!

Posted by: H | February 11, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Alright. I get the missing the Friday lists, but I LOVE the Dueling analysis.

Is there a way to change the Friday List to a something else list?

I would also love a seperate Friday chat...that way the celebritologist only lovers will be happy.

I think that the disconnect between LOST and P&P is that Jen and Liz have a special love for Lost, whereas desipite the whole adoration for Colin Firth, its been out for years and isn't something that needs a new chat all the time.

Oh--maybe the deuling analysis can be posted on the LOST page instead of the celebritologist page?

Posted by: To Lost or Not to Lost | February 11, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Lost discussion--while a passion of Ms. Kelly--has never seemed to fit the definition of "celebritology." It's just 2 folks chatting about a show they like. And, like the infinitely superior Pride and Prejudice, Lost "analysis" and discussion should be part of a TV blog/chat.

In short, I'm pretty tired of how much time/energy is devoted to chatting about Lost.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Love ya Liz, but you made the fateful error of assuming that because we tune in to your musings on celebrity antics that we somehow would also enjoy everything else you find interesting.

What next? Devote 20% of the blog to getting tattoos?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind you putting Lost on the blog - I can just skip those posts - but it needs to get out of the online discussion.

Posted by: h3 | February 11, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

now, don't be hatin' tats, 2:23pm!

Posted by: not Liz | February 11, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I read Celebritology because I live overseas and want to stay connected to the important stuff. Personally, I don't have time for TV that isn't family-oriented and that comes on after 9 pm my time. That's just the way it is.
I love Friday lists. My favorite was the "movie mash-ups." I think Jen invented it. It was a blast!

Posted by: possum | February 11, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I, too, despise the amount of time spent on Gilligan's Soap Opera (yellojkt, I'm so ticked at you that you thought of that first!). As another brilliant poster said above, between the TV Chat being devoted to all things American Idol and this Chat becoming 1/4 Lost -- well, some of us feel a little marginalized. Honestly, LIz, out here in the real world, Lost just isn't that big a deal . . . I just took an informal poll here, and none of the 12 people within earshot of me has ever seen even a single episode . . . and on its face has nothing to do with Celebrity -- it doesn't even star anybody famous. So to make a long post short (I know, too late), ENOUGH with the Lost stuff already -- give it its own chat or its own blog, but get it out of Celebritology, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | February 11, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and by the way, do we know who won last week's caption contest for the picture of the Soprano's chick in a fur coat? I thought a couple of the entries were kinda funny -- not mine, but, you know, those from people with actual wit and talent.

Posted by: Snarky Squirrel | February 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Keep the Lost talk. I also just took an informal poll here at my work and 12 out of the 14 people in my department watch every episode.

Posted by: DW | February 11, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

if we wanted TV commentary, we could read DeMoraes. Enough with Lost. I do not watch and tune out of the chat when that part starts and don't read the analysis blog. It seems ridiculous to devote Celebritology to a TV show that a lot of people have zero interest in.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't the dueling analysis just be moved to the Post's TV blog? I tried to watch Lost, I really did, but I just don't get its appeal. Then again I don't think I've liked anything that J.J. Abrams has done.

Posted by: Stuck@Work | February 11, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Personally I'm a Heroes fan and can't stand Lost. I don't see the appeal and can't figure out why its apart of a regular rotation.

As a compromise, maybe we can put a couple shows in rotation for dicussion. There are a lot of people who would love to talk about the shows they watch!!

Posted by: bored... | February 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

there is no disconnect for me. I love Lost AND P&P! my dvr is currently filled with Masterpiece Theatre's Jane Austen series and all recent Lost episodes. I like reading the Dueling Analysis, and add a friday chat.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I know this is a fun chat - I have written in before when I thought you were rather mean-spirited about Oprah (even though I'm not in Love with her either) Thanks for still posting the 'facts' about her charitable giving. I agree with many other comments about her; but to me it has always been clear that she makes it a point to Give (whether the masses realize it or not). That was my only point of contention with you when you were saying she shouldn't have accepted shoes from Mrs. Seinfeld. I can bet she probably did give them away too.

Posted by: Thanks, Liz | February 11, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Lost, Lost and more Lost! This is the only place to go for intelligent conversation about such a great show.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I also found Celebritology as a result of looking for a smart and fun "Lost" discussion group. I'm now a regular daily (er, multiple times per day) reader. I love this blog! Just like some people aren't huge fans of the "Lost" analysis, I'm not a huge fan of the Caption Contest, and nine times out of ten will skip those posts and the comments (I always read the comments, some of you people are hilarious!). But some people really like them, so I won't complain. I like the Friday Lists better than the Caption Contest, but sometimes can't bring myself to post, "who was my biggest/guiltiest crush" or "how to help Britney" one more time. Too many Friday Lists lend themselves to mixed results. I'd rather have fewer Friday Lists that are more inspired - to someone who pointed it out earlier, the Movie Mash Ups were great! Though, it is Liz's blog; she can post what she wants. I'm not complaining - not everyone can be happy everyday!

"Dueling Analysis" is a ton of fun and I really hope (pray?) it will continue, even if not posted in this blog. Jen and Liz always have excellent points and provide lots of information or theories I may have never connected to myself. It would be a shame to lose you two on this! Also, in general, the Comments section these days is an excellent forum for other "Lost" devotees to hash out and debate lots of theories. The commentors on this blog are also an incredibly intelligent and thoughtful group. As a contrast, EW.com also has a decent "Lost" analysis the day after the show, however, the Comment section on that blog is barely readable... for some reason the format of it doesn't really lend itself to debate or follow up, and most of the commentors sound like they're about 16 years old and use a lot of exclamation points!!!!!! LOL!!!! :)

Honestly, I don't need the last 15 minutes of the chat to be devoted to "Lost". I'm not quick enough on the keyboard to try to ask relevant questions or respond to others points in 15 minutes. But the "DA" Comments thread lets people talk things out and mull them over indefinitely. I'm also on the West Coast, so I can't sit in on the "Live" Yaplet, though I'm also not good at watching and debating at the same time (too distracting while trying to take in all the details!), so I probably wouldn't participate, even if I could. I would rather drop these two points if it means keeping the "DA" threads.

The one bit of consolation I can give the non-Losties is that "Lost" has an End Date In Sight: 2010. We also already know that there will be 16 more shows per year; a total of 48 new episodes until 2010 (46 more to go since two have already aired this year). This means that a maximum of 16 Fridays (or whenever the day after the show happens to be) per YEAR will be devoted to "Lost". In 2008, that's only 14 more weeks (6 more in this stretch with, most likely, a break of a few weeks while they try to catch up from the writer's strike). Considering that this blog posts daily, 52 Fridays a year, that's really not a huge commitment over the next three years.

I really hope we can come to a Celebritology Consensus and everyone will be happy. But Liz, it's your blog, and I think we should all respect your decision either way.

Posted by: Lost at Work | February 11, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

"I'm not a huge fan of the Caption Contest, and nine times out of ten will skip those posts and the comments (I always read the comments, some of you people are hilarious!)."

I meant that I *usually* read every comment every day on the blog, but usually skip the Caption Day comments because I generally don't think they're worth it... sorry

Posted by: Lost at Work | February 11, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't watch Lost either. Spare us, Liz!

Posted by: Marie | February 11, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

I would like to point out that the "Dueling Analysis" threads, on average, generate more Comments* than the Friday List threads.

*This unscientific analysis of averages takes into account ONLY the Lost EPISODE "Dueling Analysis" threads. The last 10 posts of each "Friday Lists" and "Dueling Analysis" category were considered for this poll) The Book Club and "Countdown/Preview" posts were not counted while great, if some Lost coverage gets nixed, it's gotta be these threads first).

Liz, any way you can tell us what type of peaks in page views either Lost or Friday Lists generate for you? Neither may have the same effect on site traffice of "Jamie Lynn Spears Preggers" posts, but still, any spikes on either of these days?

I actually really like Friday Lists, I just think that the Lost-lovers are being underrepresented today in the Comments... why all the hate? Why can't we all just GET ALONG!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Read what you want to read, and skip the stuff you don't like!

Posted by: Ah the Magic of the Internet | February 12, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"I know all of you ladies will hate me, but I watched a few minutes of Pride and Prejudice the other day and what a piece of crap. That was the most boring show I have ever seen. I almost ran to the bathroom to puke it was so bad."

I felt the same way. Please do watch the Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley. It is sooooo good that I am perfectly content to watch it over and over.

Posted by: LA | February 12, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

LOVE LOVE LOVE the LOST analyses - and agree that it is one of the most intelligent discussions of a fantastic TV show. It only takes one post out of the 10(?) weekly posts, so I'm not sure why people are so angry. It's obvious you
(Liz) love the show, and it's your blog, as someone said earlier. Unless you have the time to prepare a regular column AND a separate entry for the TV blog, I say you should keep LOST. That said, as long as the dueling analyses continue in some format, I'm happy. Please please please keep the LOST chat!

Posted by: Why all the whining? | February 12, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Google

Posted by: ffufj | February 13, 2008 5:38 AM | Report abuse

MESSAGE

Posted by: ISHMAel back | February 16, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

tmglzhvc tzscpequk qojmvi ohtlecfx akyg klgjzhr liuheydvz

Posted by: vgwtokmdx qhwl | March 11, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

vagsombw pfclrgt rpxesqi octgeyi jkbg oetpkhgbq sevnbdk http://www.amlotnq.soiytfz.com

Posted by: xatkis vnmfoixl | March 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

gvqre ejigkcvxn qgavjmr oseupgd rbyf ygnahmo cpvzule yavs evgd

Posted by: sblweon tijpzoyf | March 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: xatkis vnmfoixl | March 11, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

qohaneb opkcyqfi xrqbdh gehcb hpsbaitmn kzrd jxsuoqei [URL=http://www.vyiultqpk.gwhyeukmd.com]esycv haxrvkiy[/URL]

Posted by: puxjgoqc bvyocei | March 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

ditsjb rnut bgksnwac ghod lfwgm elrxpd xowci [URL]http://www.wxmfosq.yipzvh.com[/URL] lfupn vnork

Posted by: enoyumt mnahu | March 11, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse