Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 02/14/2008

Friday Thursday List: Top Movie Romances?

By Liz Kelly

Over the weekend Mr. Liz and I re-watched one of our favorite sappy movies, "Casablanca." There's a lot there to get classic film buffs like us going -- Ingrid Bergman's ridiculously natural beauty, Claude Rains as the wry local law, Peter Lorre as the prototypical low life, Sydney Greenstreet at his slimy best, the lilting airs of "As Time Goes By" and, of course, Bogey as a brooding fish out of water hiding out from the war and his own broken heart in North Africa.

But it's that love story that keeps us watching again and again. The sparks between Bogey's Rick and Bergman's Ilsa literally light up the screen. And that's why, at least in my book, "Casablanca's" story of love lost, found and lost again is simply the best movie romance ever. And why Mr. Liz and I play it again and again and again.

Since today is Valentine's Day and it's been a good long while since we've gotten all listy here, we'll get with the spirit of the day by sharing our picks for the most romantic movie couples of all time. Maybe Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett are more to your taste? Or perhaps you're a disciple of the Texas Bud/Texas Sissy school of courting? Whatever the case, I want to know. Share your top picks below.

No snickering allowed.

(Oh, and if I had to round out a top five, I'd add to my list: "Lady Jane's" Helena Bonham Carter and Cary Elwes, "The Princess Bride's" Robin Wright and Cary Elwes, "Notorious's" Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant, "Some Kind of Wonderful's" Mary Stuart Masterson and Eric Stoltz and "A Very Long Engagement's" Audrey Tatou and Gaspard Ulliel.

Need a little inspiration? Check out Jen Chaney's favorites or try this list of the Top 100 Romantic Movies.

By Liz Kelly  | February 14, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Kidman to Play Plame on Big Screen
Next: Live Now: 'Lost' Chat Room, 8:30 - 10 p.m. ET

Comments

My fav: Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda in "The Lady Eve."

Posted by: Phil | February 14, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really like "Lost in Translation" when I'm in the mood for a romance film.

Posted by: jENNY | February 14, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The Princess Bride for sure. I'm also a sucker for Sleepless in Seattle.

But the ultimate is "When Harry Met Sally". Love it.

Posted by: v day! | February 14, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

French Kiss - more for the scenes of Paris and France than for the romance, but I have to watch it every time

Love Actually

Only You - again, more for the scenes of Italy than anything else

Posted by: akmitc | February 14, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I also love Casablanca, Liz.
Also:
Bridget Jones running after Mark in her knickers. Although the kissing afterwards is a bit tepid.
"Persuasion" with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root. Classic.
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." And I am not a big Jim Carrey fan. But what a fantastic movie about the endurance and quirkiness of love.

Posted by: possum | February 14, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Princess Bride - AS YOU WISH!
When Harry Met Sally - Everyone wants to marry their best friend
American President - While they get Dupont Circle's location wrong such a great DC romance!
Cutting Edge - Bickering to Love and Skating!
Pride and Prejudice - or really anything where Colin Firth is the love interest!

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 14, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Juliette Binoche and Naveen Andrews in the English Patient. The rope swing scene is breathtaking.

Posted by: LitMajor | February 14, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Princess Bride and Pride & Prejudice go without saying, I'd like to add the 2007 version of Persuasion with Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones as Anne Elliott and Capt. Wentworth and The Long Hot Summer with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Shakespeare in Love
Never Been Kissed
The end of Empire Strikes Back (just before Han is frozen)
Witness
Sixteen Candles - just for that moment when Jake Ryan is waiting outside the church for Sam.

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any right now.

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | February 14, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Lessee here...
-Amelie
-Love Actually (but only near Christmas)
-When Harry Met Sally
-The Secretary (I need to be in a certain mood for this one and I don't know why I love it but I do. It's totally messed up, creepy, twisted and yet...so great. Not to mention superb casting.)
-P&P all the way

Posted by: PGM | February 14, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

But aren't we supposed to be listing movie couples, not just movies?

Posted by: Not to be snarky | February 14, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Am I really the first to list "Say Anything"?

Posted by: other liz | February 14, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I just thought of another - Sound of Music. There are three scenes in that movie that always get me: when the Captain and Maria are singing in the Gazebo, when the Captain and Maria are dancing outside in the moonlight, and when the Captain sings Edelwiss right before the family flees. Sure it isn't your typical romance type of movie, but those moments are all incredibly romantic in their own ways.

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | February 14, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Truly, Madly, Deeply" -- love that one!

Posted by: mmcg | February 14, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"Décalage Horaire" aka "Jet Lag" - Juliette Binoche and Jean Reno. Really smart, clever, and romantic French film sort of in the vein of "Lost In Translation" but also a little similar to "The Terminal." The IMDB entry for it doesn't do it credit.

Posted by: 23112 | February 14, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

A Room with A View

Posted by: Amelia | February 14, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

P&P (either version tho' colin firth is ...well...wonderful)
The Quiet Man
The Princess Bride
Notorious (or almost anything w/Ingrid & Cary...loved them together!)
Dr. Zhivago (the original is still a classic, but the PBS version was actually truer.)

Posted by: methinks | February 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Princess Bride - leaving it off the list? Inconceivable!
Say Anything - Would you honestly fall for LLoyd? YES
Blast from the Past - I'd go underground for Adam.

Posted by: Showing my age | February 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I have to post my bias and go with "Casablanca" my favorite movie of all time. I'm usually too cynical for most movies, but not la casa. Even Mr. cee_jay, who is more of a "Heat"-type movie fan, puts this up in his list. I'm also voting for "Walk the Line". Although it wasn't billed as a romantic movie, there's just something about those two...

Posted by: cee_jay | February 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in Indiscreet--romance for grown-ups!

Olivia Hussey and Ian Whiting (?) in Romeo and Juliet

Posted by: gran | February 14, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | February 14, 2008 11:04 AM

Did you know that Christopher Plummer doesn't sing Edelweiss? I was crushed when I learned that...

Back on topic --

Miss Piggy and Kermit in The Muppet Movie

Harry and Sally (you know the movie)

The President and Sydney from American President, I love when he tries to order her flowers

Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore in Wedding Singer (I can't remember their character's names)

Capt. Von Trapp and Maria, Sound of Music

Jenny and Forest, Forest Gump

Posted by: WDC 21113 | February 14, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

How about Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar from Brokeback Mountain. The ending just broke my heart.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze in Ghost.

Posted by: P | February 14, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I forgot one! Lois Lane and Superman (esp. after the most recent movie). Hunky Superman :)

Posted by: PGM | February 14, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Clooney and Lopez in Out of Sight. That is all.

Posted by: J | February 14, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Pride and Prejudice" (the BBC one) and "Sense and Sensibility" (the one with Kate Winslet) are high on my list. I also love "Besieged", though it's bittersweet to say the least. "Intolerable Cruelty" has a hilarious plot, spirited verbal sparring, and George Clooney in a kilt. But "The Cutting Edge" beats all. Oh, for the days of my youth, and a hunky D.B. Sweeney with whom to trade barbs!

Posted by: 51 | February 14, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I absolutely agree with Pride and Prejudice, When Harry Met Sally, and Say Anthing and would like to add a few:

Wuthering Heights - Heathcliff and Katherine
An Affair to Remember - Nickie and Terry

Rats - I know I have more but can't think of them right now.

Posted by: JL | February 14, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I second Casablanca, but no. 2 would be The Mambo Kings. The macho-ly yummy Armand Assante in unrequited love with the wife of the tortured, sensitive Antonio Banderas, who is still hung up on the sweetie he left behind in Cuba.... a wonderful, touching love triangle (quadrilateral?) with great music. Sniff. Sniff. I cannot watch that movie without bawling, every time.

Posted by: tearing up just thinking about it | February 14, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Of course Casablanca is at the top, but then:

Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson in Benny and Joon

Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn (to a lesser degree Harrison Ford and Sandra Bullock) in Sabrina

Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart in Key Largo

Helen Hunt and Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets

Orson Welles and Joan Fontaine in Jane Eyre (1944 version)

Posted by: b | February 14, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

forgot

Johnny Depp and Juliette Binoche in Chocolat

Posted by: b | February 14, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I like a good romantic comedy. Needless to say, I have no recent movies to recommend. I do recommend a lovely, German film that will put a smile on your face, "Men" or "Manner" in German. It's the story about a woman who has an affair with a young ruffian--biker dude. Instead of getting even, her very boring husband decides to discover his wild side. He then, decides the ruffian could use a hair cut and a decent job. The woman has to choose between the man she thought she knew and the man she thought she figured out. Interesting choice and a delightful movie.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 14, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

zomg -- "The Terminator" has my fave love scene ever in it. The whole hokey cornball "I came through time for you, Sarah" gets me every time.

Posted by: Other Liz | February 14, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh I forgot I love Julie Dempsey and Ethan Hawke in Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. "I wrote the book to find you" - Both movies are so romantic!

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 14, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

My very first thought was "Lost in Translation," because it feels so real. Those kinds of connections are so deeply felt and remembered. It's authentic. It is, quite simply, everything that "Valentine's Day" is not.

Posted by: Lost in VA | February 14, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Definitely agree with Amelia about Lucy and George in Room with a View - it's a marvelous romance.

Likewise Will and Viola from Shakespeare in Love.

Also have to nominate Benedict and Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing - Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson were so marvelous together, back before he left her for a younger woman.

Posted by: Kate | February 14, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Julie Delpy is the adorable French actress you're thinking of, peach.

Posted by: o.l. | February 14, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

listing the couples, then...
P&P (either version tho' colin firth is
...well...wonderful)
Jennifer Ehle/Colin Firth

The Quiet Man
John Wayne Maureen O'Hara

The Princess Bride
Cary Elwes/Robin Wright

Notorious (or almost anything w/Ingrid & Cary...loved them together!)

Julie Christie/Omar Sharif

Posted by: methinks/addendum | February 14, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

yes o.l. thanks for the correction!

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 14, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I have to go with Casablanca, Brokeback, and Sleepless in Seattle. Others worth noting:
- The Porters in DeLovely: I know, not a typical romantic relationship. But as Cole said in the movie, it's all about the intimacy.
- Katie and Hubble in The Way We Were: Again, true love. And true passion.

To bring it back to relationships that, you know, ended on a happy note:
- Nic Cage and Cher in Moonstruck (I can't recall their character names): For some reason the way they get together and interact just works for me. And I find NYC to be a romantic city, so that definitely helps. (Not to mention 1 20-something, very cut Nic.)

Posted by: Cubefarm | February 14, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Reality Bites - Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke (evan though he's a tool)

50 First Dates and the Wedding Singer- Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (I love the scenes of Hawaii and the song at the end)

Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally go without saying.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder. More for the former's performance, but it is just so achingly tragic.

Posted by: WashDC | February 14, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I know i'm odd, but I have to say Grosse Point Blank is my absolute favorite...

Posted by: lunchbreak | February 14, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Other Liz, you are SO right about that scene in "Terminator." Gets me going, too. Love that Michael Beihn.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | February 14, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis in The Last of the Mohicans

Kelly McGillis and Harrison Ford in Witness

Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story

Sigourney Weaver and Mel Gibson in The Year of Living Dangerously

Posted by: Arlington | February 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"End of the Affair" with Ralph Fiennes and Julianna Moore! It tore my heart out.

Posted by: Tk Pk | February 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen 'Happy Accidents' with Marisa Tomei and Vincent D'onofrio? It's quirky, but so good....

Posted by: Magnolia | February 14, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Am I really the first to mention Holly Golightly and Paul Varjak in Breakfast at Tiffany's? I love everything about that film - the couple's chemistry, the clothes, um, Tiffany's. Although I do want a cigarette and a cocktail half an hour into it, and I don't even smoke.

Am I also the first to mention Love Story?

I have to second Celine and Jesse from Before Sunset, which is my favorite movie of all time.

And while I am technically cheating because I haven't seen the movie yet (read the book), Cecilia and Robbie from Atonement broke my heart.

Finally, Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra from What Dreams May Come. Really touching film, although I'm an art historian, so I'm biased.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 14, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

b, its Julia Ormond that was in Sabrina with Harrison Ford, not Sandra Bullock.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Pierce Brosnan and Rene Russo in the Thomas Crown Affair. I am also in love with her wardrobe.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 14, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I have to say my favorite is "The More The Merrier" This is a WWII film... so romantic. Joel McCrae and Jean Arthur share an apartment in Washington DC. Hilarity and romance ensue. The scene where Joel McCrae is kissing Jean Arthur's neck and watching her succumb to his obvious charms is lovely.

Posted by: vicki Pasadena, CA | February 14, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hallmark made a movie miniseries for TV called the 10th Kingdom. It's a modern fairy tale that plays with standard fairy tale topics. "My name is Virginia and I live on the edge of the forest..." The wicked witch wants Wolf to track and kill Virginia, the heroine of the tale. Instead, Wolf falls in love with her and ends up protecting her from the witch. Wolf's love is true and constant even in the face of threats from the witch and as he says "wolfs mate for life." Love it.
Wolf is played by Scott Cohen and Virgina is played by Kimberly Williams.

Posted by: sunnydaze | February 14, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

SCARLET AND RHETT!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I am very suprised that Washington Post is not offering Brokenback Mountain as the shining example of a sappy romance immortalized by the actor's untimely death...

GHOST is the most romantic movie of all times! Followed by Scary Movie 4.

Posted by: Gay Cowboy | February 14, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"Witness," absolutely. It was my first Rated R movie, and Harrison Ford and Kelly McGillis thrilled (and embarassed) me in front of my parents!

Meryl Streep and Robert Redford in "Out of Africa."

Gary Oldman and ____ in "Beloved;" the last scene when she reads the lost letter and bursts into tears wrenches my heart out

Posted by: e2h | February 14, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Sad but lovely tales about intense love (and loss):

Dark Victory
Truly Madly Deeply
The Fountain

More upbeat:

Princess Bride
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Philadelphia Story
My Man Godfrey
Green Card
Amelie

Also, love Doc Hollywood. A sweet romance.

What's the name of that one with Will Ferrell where he hears the narrator (Emma Thompson) telling his story? That has a great romance with Maggie Gyllenhall in it. Love that one too.

Posted by: NW DC | February 14, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"Finally, Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra from What Dreams May Come. Really touching film, although I'm an art historian, so I'm biased"
________________________________
I saw this one in a movie theatre by accident. I saw two women sobbing hysterically when Annabella killed herself.
I walked out that instant cause it was just a pshych ward type of audience..

This movie is terrible. It's suicidal. Only an art historian would enjoy it, I am sorry.

Posted by: Musicgeek response | February 14, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Marcellus Wallace and Zed, in the pawn shop cellar scene from Pulp Fiction.

Ah, such heartfelt, romantic give and take.

Posted by: MisterBear | February 14, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

MisterBear!

Posted by: e2h | February 14, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

What Dreams May Come is absolutely beautiful and I am no art historian! It really delves into the afterlife in a very moving and thought provoking movie. My husband and I cried through most of it but it wasn't a feeling of being in a psych ward!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet at sunset in Titanic
Cary Elwes and Robin Wright in Princess Bride
Colin Firth and any actress in any movie. (I heart him, forever)
Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday.

Posted by: Lisa1 | February 14, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Shrek 1, 2, and 3.

is Number One love story for all ages and sexual orientation (reference to Pinoccio).

Posted by: Fiona | February 14, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

It proves my point there were sobbing people in the audience.

I can send you a dvd of this movie - don't ask how I got it.

I wonder if Britney Spears would cry if she saw it.

Posted by: Musicgeek #2 | February 14, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Pride & Prejudice (BBC version)
The Princess Bride
Casablana
Breakfast at Tiffanys
Sabrina (the original)

And for wierd romance, Kill Bill (both vols)

Posted by: LunchBreak | February 14, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I liked the Painted Veil...
and Cabaret has a nice twisted love triangle...

Posted by: Sally without Harry | February 14, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Re: What Dreams May Come

The man literally goes through hell in search of the love of his life. We are talking about romantic movies, aren't we? The premise alone warrants a nod.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I got to go with Love Actually, though I have a hard time picking out one to be my favorite couple in the movie. Well ok, the Sam and Joanna story might be my favorite.

High Society-Tracey and Dexter

Any movie with Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

Dave-Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver

Posted by: michael | February 14, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Rita and Phil 'Groundhog Day' (1993) seriously
Lucy and Ben 'Crossroads' (2002) hehe

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Note to Liz: Your <strike> in the title bar tag is out of whack.

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Here is romantic movie no 40 from the list:

In Ninotchka three Soviets make their way to Paris to sell off imperial jewels to raise money to buy tractors for the USSR. When Grand Duchess Swana (Ina Claire), former owner of the jewels, discovers what's happening, she deploys her lover Leon (Melvyn Douglas) to recover her gems. He starts a court proceeding while seducing the three bumbling Soviets with the luxuries of capitalistic life. The delay of the sale is noticed in Moscow, and Comrade Ninotchka (Greta Garbo) is dispatched to Paris to settle the matter. Soon after arrival, she meets Leon, who is charmed by her severe, uptight manner and her stunning beauty ("I love Russians! Comrade, I've been fascinated by your five-year plan for the last 15 years"), and he sets about wooing her, despite her disbelief in love (it's merely a "chemical reaction," she dourly informs him). Romance, jealousy, and capitalistic frivolity ensue.

Sounds lovely to me!!!

Posted by: Ninotchka | February 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Definitely Lopez & Clooney in Out of Sight. Though, I think they run a close second to Streep & Eastwood in Bridges of Madison County. I can't believe that movie is left off of so many romance movie lists. The Top 100 list you link to has it at #90! Blasphemy to anyone with a romantic heart!

Posted by: fft5305 | February 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Just thought of two more:

Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins in Remains of the Day. Admittedly unrequited love, but the "what could have been" was heartbreaking.

Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins in Shadowlands. I couldn't stop crying after the movie.

Also, Liz - thank you so much for posting this list! Your lists and all the great responses really make my day.

Posted by: JL | February 14, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

One Night in Paris screams romance to me!

Posted by: Shallow Hal | February 14, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Marge and Homer Simpson.

(Seriously, my favorite scene in Casablanca is the one where they sing the French National Anthem. So I don't think this is the list for me.)

Posted by: arlington | February 14, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Odd choice, maybe ... sad, tragic movie, but what a love story too -

Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice.

Posted by: jlessl | February 14, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Mel Gibson and Sigourney Weaver in "The Year of Living Dangerously".

A great film!

Posted by: CJB | February 14, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Costner and Susan Sarandon in "Bull Durham". Especially when they finally connect at the end after all the build-up.

Posted by: CJB | February 14, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Mary Stuart Masterson (Idgie) and Mary-Louise Parker (Ruth) in Fried Green Tomatoes.

Posted by: CJB | February 14, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Emily Watson and Stellan Skarsgard in "Breaking the Waves."

A sad but brilliant movie!

Posted by: CJB | February 14, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Lola and Max in 'After the Sunset' (2004)

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of 'One Night in Paris'...

Marion and Jack in '2 Days in Paris' (2007)

I'm not a fan of Adam Goldberg, but he was perfectly cast for this character IMHO for that reason. This Movie was written and directed by the ever lovely Julie Delpy.

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Dustin Hoffman and Jessica Lange in Tootsie!

Posted by: No 1 | February 14, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Elinor Dashwood + Edward Ferrars (Sense & Sensibility)
Anne Elliot + Frederick Wentworth (Persuasion)

The best of all is John Thornton + Margaret Hale (North and South--NOT the Swayze version). That kiss at the rail station melts my butter every time.

Posted by: Centava | February 14, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, Mr. Rochester + Jane Eyre in the recent incarnation on PBS (Toby Stephens, yowsa!)

Posted by: Centava | February 14, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's a more recent submission - "Guy" and "Girl" from the movie Once. Beautiful story, Beautiful music, and the two actors/musicians fell in love in real life...

Posted by: Smitty | February 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Most romantic couples --
Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen in Starman;
Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen in Pride and Prejudice; Keira Knightley and James McAvoy in Atonement; Juno MacGruff and Wally Bleeker in Juno.

Posted by: scandibaby | February 14, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I completely forgot to mention Juliette Binoche and Naveen Andrews in The English Patient. The scene where he swings her around the chapel to view the paintings is one of the most romantic in movie history. Plus they are both just hotties.

Posted by: Scandibaby | February 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

List Thursdays seems like a great compromise! Does this mean we get to keep LOST Fridays? :-)

Posted by: Hooray! | February 14, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree w/ Other Liz about that scene in Terminator--non-traditional, but still moving.

It is reminiscent of the scene in (Bram Stoker's) Dracula when Gary Oldman first accosts Winona Ryder on a London Street and tells her that he has crossed oceans of time for her. The movie is creepy, the scene is even creepy, but it still manages to be poignant and heart-rending for what might have been.

(For the Real Liz, I share your appreciation for Lady Jane. I knew of few people who were even aware of this old gem. I replaced my original VHS version with a DVD. It still breaks my heart.)

Posted by: alexandria | February 14, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Am I really the first one to say The Notebook? It is the sweetest movie I have ever seen.

Also love Room with a View!

Posted by: Marie | February 14, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Redford and Streep/Out of AFrica, when he enters her tent as she's undressing and says, "I want to do that." Swoooooooon.

Depp and Binoche/Chocolat, Depp's finest LOOKING movie role. Yuuummmm.

Don't know actors/Like Water for Chocolate, when the red-haired actress rides off naked with her bandito

Posted by: Here in Columbia | February 14, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I had a scene in my head of a beautiful young woman being playfully chased by a handsome young man down the ramp in the Guggenheim Museun, NYC. Scratching my head for a few minutes trying to remember the movie. Oops, another I'm getting old moment. That was me and a girlfriend about twenty years ago. D'oh! If that were a movie, it would definately have made my list for that scene alone.

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Lots of movies here I hadn't thought about. I love both Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, as well as pretty much any romance Cary Grant was in (seriously, the man could have chemistry with a rock). The Princess Bride and ...Say Anything also are wonderful, and The Philadelphia Story is one of my favorites. Here are a few others that I don't think have been mentioned:

It Happened One Night -- I don't think they even kiss during the movie, but Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert generate so much heat.

An American in Paris -- I'm a sucker for Gene Kelly, and the passion for Leslie Caron really comes out in the dances.

Once -- Again, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova don't even kiss, but watch them feel their way through "Falling Slowly" on a music store piano. A truly romantic scene heightened by the lyrics: "I don't know you/But I want you/All the more for that..."

Posted by: kleewrite | February 14, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I saw this really stunningly great epic type film a couple of nights ago -- EAST/WEST, directed by Regis Wargnier.

Another truly equisite film is A HEART IN WINTER written and directed by Claude Sautet.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love Moonstruck. The scene in the kitchen near the end with the families is wonderful comedy and I think it is very romantic in a quirky way!

Posted by: KathyK | February 14, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"Friday Night" (Vendredi Soir) is fantastic!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Lelana and Troy (Reality Bites)

And I love "The Mirror Has Two Faces" with Barbara Strisand and Jeff Bridges

Posted by: cb | February 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Anyone remember LA Story with Steve Martin and Victoria Tennant? He plays a weatherman in the movie. When she threatens to return to England, he says he wants to change the weather to keep the plane from leaving LA. He does, and she returns for a great kiss in the pouring rain. One of my favorite movies of all time.

Posted by: LL | February 14, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Sid & Nancy!
Okay, now I'm just kidding.

Posted by: other liz | February 14, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The Accidental Tourist - Geena Davis / William Hurt

Posted by: Paul | February 14, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Jamie and Aurelia (Colin Firth and his Portuguese maid) in Love, Actually.

Posted by: Andy | February 14, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

The Will Ferrel movie was Stranger Than Fiction and that is a truly under appreciated movie. My favorite scene is when he is playing the guitar and singing with his eyes closed and Maggie Gyllenhal comes into the room to listen to him play and then starts mouthing the lyrics to the song. Yeah, that couple definitely needs to be added to the list.

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | February 14, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow!! I'm floored that "the NOTEBOOK" has only been mentioned once! Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams were wonderful in that movie and the ending!!! COME ON PEOPLE!

oh and Love Actually is great also!

Posted by: bored... | February 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

LL, if Steve Martin's "LA Story" is one of your favorite all-time movies, I hope you have had a chance to see "Shopgirl." I think it is Steve Martin's best work. He wrote it and starred in it. A wonderful, wonderful film!

Could not understand why there was not a major marketing campaign put behind it. It had the potential to do big numbers. Especially if they had given it a Christmas release date.

(Martin was also very good in " The Spanish Prisoner," a David Mamet film.)

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Gone With The Wind!!!! Rhett & Scarlett

THE BEST EVER!!

Also Hepburn and Bogart in Sabrina.

Posted by: Pail | February 14, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I nominate Claude Lelouch (for A MAN AND A WOMAN and all of his other great films) as the Romance King.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Stranger than Fiction is the movie title someone was looking for with Will Ferrell and Emma Thompson.

Posted by: LA | February 14, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Meggie and Father Ralph in "The Thorn Birds" - the greatest love story ever!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Cate Blanchett and Joseph Fiennes - Elizabeth
Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor - Moulin Rouge!

Others left out:

Uma Thurman and John Travolta - Pulp Fiction (even though nothing happens)
Julia Roberts and Richard Gere - Pretty Woman
Renee Zellweger and Tom Cruise - Jerry Maguire

Posted by: LA | February 14, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Homer and Wilma in The Best Years of Our Lives get me every time.

Also, Paul and Victoria in A Walk in the Clouds, and Leslie Caron and Mel Ferrar in Lili.

Posted by: lafred | February 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

How could I forget Atonement!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I watched the 2006/2007-ish Masterpiece Theater production of Jane Eyre over the weekend. It was glorious.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I watched it first when I was a teenager. That movie made me gay. Ah. Don't show it to your kids. Thank you for listening.

Posted by: Lady Jane | February 14, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

No contest -- Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant in An Affair to Remember -- the last scene tears me up everytime!

Posted by: TJE | February 14, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Zack Mayo and Paula Pokrifki
'An Officer and a Gentleman'

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Smitty - Guy and Girl in Once made such a beautiful couple!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Everybody in "Love Actually"!

Posted by: WDC | February 14, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Alice 'Hush' Mason and Joe in 'Beautiful Joe'

Posted by: omni | February 14, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar, for sure
Giancarlo Giannini and Mariangela Melato in Swept Away
Redford and Streisand in The Way We Were
Streisand and Omar Sharif in Funny Girl
Sharif and Julie Christie in Dr. Zhivago
Christie and Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait
Beatty and Faye Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde
Robert Redford and Katharine Ross and Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I can't list just couples, so I'll do movies. Stealing from previous entries, and adding my own:

"When Harry Met Sally" - Best romantic comedy. Cutest (as in baby ducks) couple.

"American President" - Annette Bening in her beautiful best.

"It Happened One Night" - For giving us romantic comedies.

"Shakespeare in Love" - Gwyneth personifying innocent love. Joseph Fiennes looking a bit like Prince. Wow, that was 10 years ago!

"Much Ado About Nothing" - Branagh & Thompson.

"Groundhog Day" and "50 First Dates" which, ahem, borrowed from it.

"Grosse Point Blank", "High Fidelity", "Serendipity" and "Say Anything" - My John Cusack list.

"Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill" - My Hugh Grant pics.

"Sabrina" - Both versions, and I'll even admit liking the newer one better (sacrilege, I know).

"Love Actually" - For lots of scenes, and more than one couple.

"Once" - For the unresolved tension, real chemistry, and the music.

"Beautiful Girls" and "Brothers McMullen" for the complicated possibilities and stupid mistakes guys make.

"The Lover" - For the scene in the car where their hands touch.

"To Catch A Thief" - Grace Kelly and Cary Grant. Class, beauty, and elegance.

Disney's "Beauty and the Beast". My favorite 90s Disney.

"Down with Love" for its silliness.

"Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey, who would have thunk it?

"Moulin Rouge". Beautiful couple, gorgeous movie.

"Pretty Woman" and "Grease" - Guilty pleasure movies.

"Pride and Prejudice". The six-part BBC one.

"Romeo + Juliet". The 1996 one. That's how old the actors should be, and the movie was part of Baz Luhrmann's Red Curtain Trilogy, which I can't get enough of.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Posted by: Pat in Honolulu | February 14, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"About Last Night" -- Rob Lowe & Demi Moore, Jim Belushi & Elizabeth Perkins -- and a great 80's soundtrack

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Jessica Lange and Jack Nicholson in The Postman Always Rings Twice

Liz Taylor and Sir Richard Burton in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf--now THAT's LOVE!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Kelly McGillis and Timothy Hutton in Made in Heaven.

Posted by: caphilldc | February 14, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face.

Posted by: b | February 14, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I forgot Laurie and Curly in "Oklahoma". I have seen it on stage and on film, and it has the whole package: music, dance, dialog..I love it.

Posted by: possum | February 14, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Great list all... now I just have to narrow down my viewing selection for tonight.

I do agree with comments about the couple in Once, but after I read that she was 17, and he was 35 when the movie was filmed, for some reason didn't seem quite so sweet..

Posted by: Washington, DC | February 14, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Darryl Hannah is not particularly, how you say, good in "Roxanne," and it's very sappy, but I still really like it. There's a surprising amount of Steve Martin on this list.

Also, and I haven't watched it in like 15 years, but Christian Slater getting Samantha Mathis in "Pump Up the Volume" was my socially awkward high school wish fulfillment.

Harry and Sally are great, but I also really like Marie (Carrie Fisher) and Jess (Bruno Kirby). "Tell me I'll never have to be out there again." "You will never have to be out there again."

Posted by: Paul | February 14, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Officer and a Gentleman *sigh*

Posted by: jes | February 14, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Steve Martin's name is coming up on this particular day because he himself is such a sweet-hearted Sweetheart.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Such fun to read through all these posts; so many movies I need to see and revisit.

I'll just add Katherine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole as Eleanor of Aquitaine and Richard II in "The Lion in Winter"--my all-time favorite movie. I love watching these two lovers/antagonists duke it out over which of their children will inherit England. The chemistry between Hepburn and O'Toole is amazing. A wickedly witty script in the hands of the masters.

Kate Winslet and Johnny Depp in "Finding Neverland."

Johnny Depp and Juliet Binoche in "Chocolat." Yummy...

For a movie about the nature of love, "Don Juan de Marco," again starring Johnny Depp (hmmm...I'm sensing a trend here!).

Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh as Beatrice and Benedict in "Much Ado About Nothing." I loved their spirit and beauty.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Posted by: sappho | February 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I cry every time I watch Sense & Sensibility. Like I really believe that Hugh Grant isn't in love with Emma Thompson? Of course he is!

And Notting Hill... I love that movie too.

I guess I love Hugh Grant more than I thought I did.

Posted by: Lizzy | February 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

And how could I forget Princess Leia and Han Solo in Star Wars! Of course, it was all about Harrison Ford.

Posted by: sappho | February 14, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

How exactly did "A Streetcar Named Desire" make the top 100 list? Marlon Brando was smokin' hot, I grant you, but a total jacka$$. Not to mention, Vivien Leigh is listed as the one responsible for the romantic content. Seriously, Blanche? For what, her romance with the nonexistent Shep Hartley? Or for her love affair with a fictional past/present? I don't get it.

Likewise, I take issue with "My Fair Lady" being on the list. It's absolutely my favorite musical and one of my favorite movies of all time. But I always wanted Eliza to tell Henry to shove it at the end. Not how Pygmalion went, I know, but really. He would've deserved it.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 14, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Rutger Hauer and Michelle Pfeiffer as Captain Etienne Navarre and Isabeau d'Anjou in LADYHAWKE. OMG!!

Richard Dreyfuss (Pete) and Holly Hunter (Dorinda) in ALWAYS.

Posted by: ladyhawktoo | February 14, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Cyrano and Roxanne in Cyrano de Bergerac, though there has yet to be a great movie made of this, my most favorite-est play ever. (though the Jose Ferrer version comes close)

Posted by: maybe this doesn't count but | February 14, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Ryan ONeal and Barbra Streisand in "What's Up Doc."

I am NOT a Barbra Streisand fan, but I will always make an exception for this wonderful movie -- part of Bogdanovich's winning streak in the 70s. Ryan is the absent-minded professor while Barbra plays the unstoppable force ("Honey, you can't stop a tidal wave!") Ryan and Barbra are absolutely great together. Their hotel-room encounter, complete with bubble bath and ending with a bang, is hilarious.

The standout scene of this movie is where Ryan ends up in an unfinished room with a piano and finds Barbra, and they sing (what else) "As Time Goes By." This scene is also one of the great camera shots in film history -- watch the slow buildup, which lets the camera slyly circle around as Barbra starts to get into her groove.

I highly recommend this film for anyone who hasn't seen it. Not to mention that this movie INTRODUCES Madelyn Kahn in a scene-stealing supporting-lady role as Eunice Burns. Randy Quaid even shows up for a minute of screen time. Finally, this movie features one of the great stunts-gone-wrong of all time, as a convertible and its passengers go flying off a high pier into the Pacific. A great supporting cast, too...

Posted by: Steve | February 14, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

"The Country Wife," Grace Kelly and Bing Crosby

Posted by: Anonymous | February 14, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

1. Sense and Sensibility- Emma Thompson
2. Pride and Prejudice- Keira Knightly
3. You've Got Mail
4. When Harry Met Sally
5. Tie- Sleepless in Seattle/Bridget Jones's Diary

I have been known to watch each of these films numerous times in one 24-hr span.

Posted by: DayAfterVday | February 15, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

One more:

Lauren and Daniel (Thelonious Bernard and young Diane Lane) in "A Little Romance." Such a sweet, romantic movie.

Posted by: sappho | February 15, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Robin and Marian, with Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn, for two specific scenes. The first, when Marian sees the scars on Robin's body and talks about the past. The second, John's confession to Marian. The look Nichol Williamson gives Audrey Hepburn, plus the accent...I think I may have swooned slightly the first time I saw it. Such a good movie.

Posted by: Feasel | February 15, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Imagine Me & You - Piper Perabo & Lena Headey
But I'm a Cheerleader - Natasha Leone and Clea Duvalle
The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love - Laurel Holloman and Nicole Ari Parker
and Fried Green Tomatoes - Mary Stuart Masterson and Mary Louise Parker (even though it was all subtext)

As far as hetero movies go, definitely Princess Bride.

Posted by: julia | February 15, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Aragorn and Arwen

It took three movies for those two to finally get together but WOW - it was worth waiting for.

And, to 'maybe this doesn't count' - I must take issue - I thought the Gerard Depardieu (1990) version was terrific - I saw it in the theatre three times in two weeks.

I also appreciate everyone reminding me of all my other favorite movies I haven't seen in a long time - may have to go to the video store this weekend. Thanks!

Posted by: Beachgirl | February 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

My all time favorite couple is William Powell and Myrna Loy in the many movies they made together, especially the Thin Man series.

Posted by: jisaac | February 15, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Steve...OMG I am so glad someone mentioned "What's Up Doc." It is my favorite movie of all time and not many people have heard about it. Streisand and O'Neal were so great together. Unfortunately their chemistry in this movie spurred the disaster "The Main Event."

Posted by: JKM | February 15, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I seem to like my romance tragic. Other than Pride and Prejudice, all my nominations end badly. And sorry, I can't remember the names of the couples, but I remember their eyes, and their hands.

Brokeback Mountain
Cold Mountain (not suggested yet?)
Gone with the Wind
Indochine
Dangerous Beauty

Posted by: Moo | February 15, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Robert Redford and Faye Dunaway in Three Days of the Condor

Posted by: JustAGirl | February 16, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Julia, I agree re: "The Incredibly True Adventures . . ." and "Fried Green Tomatoes." I'd add Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon in "The Hunger," Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon in "Bound," the student and teacher pair in "Maedchen in Uniform," Naomi Watts and Laura Elena Harring in "Mulholland Drive," and Hilary Swank and Chloe Sevigny in "Boys Don't Cry." But for same-sex couples in flicks, there's no more romantic/tragic example than Jack Twist and Ennis del Mar in "Brokeback" -- even before Heath died.

For straight couples, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed in "It's a Wonderful Life." Not a romance movie per se, but contains some of the most romantic scenes ever. The honeymoon night in the old mansion -- "This is what I wished for" -- and Bert and Ernie singing "I love you truly" in the pouring rain outside the windows.

Posted by: DMS | February 19, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse