Posted at 7:55 AM ET, 02/11/2008

Morning Mix: Amy Winehouse Rules Edition

By Liz Kelly

Too late for Grammys, Amy Winehouse (in video above) gets U.S. visa.... Post-apocalyptic Cher turns out for show | Full Grammy Coverage

Headlines: Brad Pitt calls tabloid story about daughter Shiloh "reckless"... Paul McCartney and Heather Mills set for court showdown... Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard win top BAFTA honors... Heath Ledger gets final send off in Australia... Coroner says Brad Renfro died of heroin, morphine overdose... Actor Roy Scheider ("Jaws") dead at 75.

Spears Watch: Brit back to the brown boots 'n fishnets look... K-Fed surfaces at Marc Jacobs fashion week show... Are gangbangers taking over Brit's pap pack?

Say What?
"She should get her act together. Apart from that, I have got nothing to say to the b****." -- Coconut tree dropout and erstwhile junkie Keith Richards with a little advice for Amy Winehouse

Bonus: 10 Star Wars Toys That Unintentionally Look Like Celebrities

Celebritology field agent Mike Corones contributed to this report.

By Liz Kelly  | February 11, 2008; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Dueling Analyses: Confirmed Dead
Next: Comment Box: Celebs Who Give, Give, Give; 'Lost' Overload?

Comments

Jaws, schmaws. Scheider's best work was SeaQuest DSV

Posted by: md | February 11, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

...ah yes, let's leap on the opportunity of someone's death to try to be funny.

Posted by: expatasia | February 11, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh...did the grammies already happen?

Posted by: h3 | February 11, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

is it just me or does Federline look high as a kite in that photo? Greeaattt...those poor little boys. I hope somehow, someway they get a break and get to lead a somewhat normal life.

Posted by: no_bs_4me | February 11, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Thank gawd Cher isn't blond anymore.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Schneider would appreciate notice of his other work. I personally loved DSV in middle school.

Posted by: Sigh | February 11, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Federline's ex is reportedly taking care of the kids. So far she's the stable one, on the surface anyway

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ok, I didn't watch the Grammy's, but I just finished J. Free's column and all I can say is...Oh. My. God. Kanye West is such a tool.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I have to say Seaquest was an awesome show with Schneider(RIP) and Jonathon Brandis (RIP).

Posted by: unmute | February 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Geek that I am, I LOVED SeaQuest DSV back in late elementary and middle school. Jonathan Brandis was one of my first celebrity crushes and Roy Scheider was just awesome (in Jaws too).

Posted by: Magnolia | February 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

And don't forget the greatest movie about a fictional attack helicopter ever: Blue Thunder.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 11, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

All the Grammy info and no complete horror at the travesty Bai Ling was wearing? Are her fashion horrors no longer surprising to us, given the large number of them?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 11, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

My favorite Scheider was as Bob Fosse in "All That Jazz." Classic!

I read J Free's column too and I'm curious as to why 10:01 am thinks that Kanye West is a tool. He has every right to be disappointed in his 0 and 3 showing. After all, Eminem has a Grammy.

It's a shame you didn't get to see the Grammys. His performance was electric-- literally and figuratively.

And La Winehouse was a triumph! I think we may have witnessed her first sober performance and it was exquisite.

Groban and Boccelli--not exquisite. I did not think it was possible for to tenors to be vocal divas, but they botched harmonies, stepped over each others flourishes. You would have expected that from Beyonce and Tina Turner. Here's something J Free didn't mention-- was it just me or did I catch Beyonce grabbing Tina just before Tina was about to walk off the edge of the stage?

Strangest duet of the night: Keely Smith and Kid Rock. Broke my heart. Wasn't Ray Connick, Jr. available?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 11, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Oh my god, there's a Seaquest DSV curse. Two stars on the show wound up dead. EEEEKKK.

Skipped the Grammys to watch P & P. Guess why?

Posted by: ep | February 11, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky, you either mean Harry Connick Jr. or Ray Conniff...Then again, Ray died in 2002.

I am so steamed because I stayed up just to see Amy Winehouse and then fell asleep and missed her. Argggh. Wish I had utube at work...

Posted by: b | February 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky, actually it started this morning while watching the news and they showed a clip of one his acceptance speeches and then refusing to be rushed off the stage to complete his speech. If I thought he was being facetious about deserving to win the award it wouldn't be an issue, but his behavior over and over just shows what a huge tool he is. I've actually tried listening to his music, but I don't like it, but I'm not that big of a hip hop fan anyway (don't tell the rest of the black community, its sacriligous)

Posted by: 10:10 | February 11, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"She should get her act together."

Gee, People the world over said the same thing about Keith for how many decades?

Posted by: MisterBear | February 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Hey, thanks for the correction! I was thinking Harry and typing "Ray." Go figure.

I agree that Keith commenting on La Winehouse classifies as pot calling kettle black. Then again, his sweetie was never "incarcerated." Gotta love the British!

As for Kanye, he was much more restrained than last year, when he pitched a huge fit for not winning. I think he recognized the Winehouse juggernaut only to get blindsided by the Herbie Hancock juggernaut! Heh, heh...

In other news, look for Kanye to team up with Herbie Hancock, Tony Bennett and Yo Yo Ma on his next album!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 11, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The only thing Kanye West should win is "Best Album of Work Ripped Off from Others." He does not win because his work is the epitome of derivative. The others win because their work is original. Yet, Kaney wants to blame eveyrthing but the fact that he is a ripoff artist (literally) as the reason he does not win.

Posted by: ep | February 11, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Man, Winehouse looked like an idiot on that stage. Can she move at all, or are her bird legs just barely holding up her enormous hair?

Posted by: centava | February 11, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I can't say that I understand Winehouse's schtick (hair/look) or what her underlying problems are, but she is an enormous talent and I truly wish only the best for her. She's probably too much the "troubled artist" to ever be totally clean, but I hope she finds her way to a better place and doesn't implode in a sea of drugs and misery.

(What the heck is that dirtbag Keith Richards's problem? He's far more nasty and strung out and has a fraction of the talent of AW. Is he just jealous that he's only a washed-up, has-been, side-kick? The Depends Generation of Rock needs to be a bit more gracious and let the up and comers have their time in the spotlight.)

Posted by: alexandria | February 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Last night was my first exposure to the music of Amy Winehouse and while her lyrics were sort of interesting, it is surprising to me that people consider her a major talent.

Remove the trainwreck qualities and what's left exactly?

She seemed to be like one of those Maya Rudolph characters on Saturday Night Live.

Guess I'll have to listen to more of her music to understand what other people see in her.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

That's what I was saying about Winehouse three months ago. Give me Shelby Lynne any day.

Posted by: 23112 | February 11, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Liz, the Star Wars toys that look like celebrities link is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time...thanks!

Posted by: possum | February 11, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I hate country music, give me Amy Winehouse any day. Trainwreck or not, I'd rather listen to her than most of the young pop-tarts out today.

But my favorite artist is Billie Holiday, so trainwrecks are my speciality.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 11, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is a fugly skank junkie, whose singing sounds as nasal as Fran Drescher on "The Nanny."

Posted by: mehitabel | February 11, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

I thought I was the only person who hated Amy Winehouse. She sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. After reading the grammy chat I see others agree she is just awful.

Posted by: DW | February 11, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ep, I don't particularly like Kanye West (tend to agree with the "tool" description, even though I thought his behavior last night was somewhat tame compared to the usual), but I'm not sure that I understand why he is a rip-off artist? I think that some of his work is quite original, even though I am hardly his biggest fan. Are you sure that you don't have him confused with P. Diddy/Diddy/Puffy/Sean Combs?

Posted by: kanye | February 11, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse