Posted at 7:36 AM ET, 02/15/2008

Morning Mix: Bai Ling Busted for Shoplifting

By Liz Kelly

Bai Ling's booking photo following her Wednesday arrest for shoplifting. (AP/LAPD)

Headlines: Denzel Washington, Tyler Perry dominate NAACP Image Awards... NBC apologizes for Jane Fonda's C-word slip (video)... Star Jones Reynolds to perform "Vagina Monologues" tonight in D.C... Miley Cyrus among list of Oscar presenters... Madonna's directorial debut slammed by critics... Paris Hilton's latest movie rated "worst in history" by IMDB users... Hilton says she has 17 dogs, LA Dept. of Animal Services says not for long... Bono raises $40 million for African AIDS relief... Pam Anderson campaigns for seals in Paris... Larry Birkhead to build house for needy family... Melissa Joan Hart and husband get ready for baby no. 2.

Crime Watch: Bai Ling accused of shoplifting from airport kiosk... Man pleads guilty to killing actress, director Adrienne Shelly... Rapper Tony Yayo gets community service for harassing teen.

Brit Watch: Jamie Spears's conservatorship extended to March 10.

Rumor Mill: Kathy Griffin claims she had an affair with a member of N'Sync... Kirstie Alley fired by Jenny Craig?

By Liz Kelly  | February 15, 2008; 7:36 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Live Now: 'Lost' Chat Room, 8:30 - 10 p.m. ET
Next: 'Lost' Dueling Analyses: The Economist

Comments

Seeing Bai Ling without makeup is terrifying. Not a good way to start a Friday.

Posted by: surlychick | February 15, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

And I can't believe she's 41! Good Lord.

Posted by: surlychick | February 15, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Kathy Griffin, I bet it was Joey Fatone. I can't say why other than he seems like the most likely one.

Posted by: michael | February 15, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Why does Bai Ling have a blog? She does nothing but take up space.

Posted by: Lisa1 | February 15, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Could someone please explain Bai Ling to me? She's on TMZ all the time and I've never been able to figure out why I should care. Also, I thought she was, like, 25. Guess that was the makeup talking.

Posted by: h3 | February 15, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Kathy Griffin - she'll say anything to get in the media. Love her!

Posted by: Elizabeth | February 15, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

"Comedienne Kathy Griffin had a secret affair.... but she refused to reveal if the lucky man was Justin Timberlake, J.C. Chasez, Chris Kirkpatrick, Joey Fatone, or even the openly gay Lance Bass."

MY money is on Lance. After all, he wasn't 'openly gay' in the '90s, and I know that if *I* woke up beside her one morning, I'd have one of two thoughts:

(1) Must. Stop. Drinking.

(2) JT's schtupping Brit, and I'm hitting *this*? WTF am I doing wrong?

Posted by: byoolin | February 15, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

On Kathy Griffin, I say Justin Timberlake. Justin like women who look a little rough without make-up and something tells me Kathy Griffin, without makeup and cosmetic surgery, is "tough looking "chick.

Posted by: Lisa1 | February 15, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Colin Firth yesterday, and Kathy Griffin today (love her). Liz, you're spoiling me.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 15, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet on Bass, too. Kathy's always going on about her gays, and quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if she (directly or indirectly) helped him, ah, "confirm" his preference. I do love her, though, she really makes me laugh. And as far as Paris' movie...wow, that had some real competition to make "Worst ever".

Posted by: 23112 | February 15, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I would have never guessed that was Bai Ling, Whoa. Why o why was she stealing gossip magazines and batteries?

NBC should apologize for this season's line-up as well. Why are they bringing back Knight Rider?

Posted by: petal | February 15, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

5 bucks says Kirkpatrick. Just to be contrary.

Posted by: EricS | February 15, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does Bai Ling look a little, um, manly without her make-up and eccentric outfits?

Posted by: Stuck @ Work | February 15, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Besides an episode of Lost, what exactly has Bai Ling even ever been in?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Besides an episode of Lost, what exactly has Bai Ling even ever been in?

Posted by: | February 15, 2008 10:01 AM

Posted by: ask and you shall recieve | February 15, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I saw the interview with Jane Fonda and find it silly that NBC feels they have to apologize for her using this word in a literary context. What a prudish culture we have. Honestly, they've drawn greater attention to it than they even needed to with the apology.

Posted by: kvs | February 15, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I misread the first item as Isaiah Washington ('cause he's the Washington most frequently appearing in this space). And though, so, the image the NAACP is going for is homophobia and workplace abuse? Nice. Then I re-read. Now I'm ok with it.

Posted by: WDC | February 15, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Star Jones" and "Vagina" in the same sentence. I've got to go scrub my brain now.

Posted by: Oh no! | February 15, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little slow this week, and kind of behind the curve on gossip. Please tell me that the Shannon Price who is allegedly wed to Gary Coleman is related to the fug-tastic red carpet phenomenon Phoebe Price!

Posted by: off topic, but... | February 15, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Well, if you run out of batteries for your vibrator during a long layover, what the heck are you supposed to do?

Posted by: possum | February 15, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Man, Bai Ling must have realized that not wearing clothes was not getting enough attention because of Brit, so she resorted to the mug shot route. Next we will hear she is in rehab.

That Jane, such a classy gal. She did not use it in a literary context. She was trying to be shocking. At her age, she was just trying to show she is still cool and relevant.

Posted by: ep | February 15, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

She actually does seem sad and ashamed in her mugshot, unlike others I've seen lately. I feel bad for her.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | February 15, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I may be remembering this wrong, but didn't Robin Williams, when he was on Inside the Actor's Studio, say the C word when ask his least favorite word. I don't remember it being bleeped (of course given everything else he said, the censors could have just been too tired).

Posted by: michael | February 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Actually, ep, it was in context since she was referring to the name of one of the essays she was asked to read in the play.

Posted by: Not a Jane Fan | February 15, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"NBC apologizes for Jane Fonda's C-word slip" -- Who knew you can't say 'conservative' on TV anymore?

"Star Jones Reynolds to perform 'Vagina Monologues' tonight in D.C" -- I wonder if her va-jay-jay prattles on about nothing the same way she does.

"Pam Anderson campaigns for seals in Paris" -- Do the French really allow sea mammals on the ballot?

Posted by: MisterBear | February 15, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I like that the AP/WP.com story Liz linked to lists Ling as 41 but IMDB.com says she's 37/38. Ha.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Bai Ling and other celebrities should know by now that if you are arrested the best (and really only) thing you can do is spiff yourself up and paste a big ol' smile on your face for the mugshot.

Posted by: still | February 15, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I remember the Robin Williams ITAS appearance, and at least when I saw it, it was bleeped or otherwise edited. Because I wasn't sure quite what he had said.

Posted by: 23112 | February 15, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

****************************************

My vote for comment of the week!

But today's mix is full of people who just need to go away: Miley Cyrus, Larry Birkhead, even Bono. Please, just stop.

Posted by: EmKay | February 15, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

My bet on the Kathy Griffin thing is: none of the above.

She's been using that joke in her act for years, and (just now) a blog picks up on it? Besides, if you read the quote, she's using that "I may or may not have -- I'm not saying" predicate, which, as I've said, she's been using in her act for years to "cover" allegations and untruths that she uses to further her jokes. Nice blog non-story from someone who apparently hasn't been in on the joke, and kudos to our Miss Liz for putting it in the Rumor Mill, right where mis-stories belong.

Posted by: DivaSquared | February 15, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who read "Melissa Joan Hart and husband get ready for baby no. 2" and thought "Ewww, I don't want to hear about Sabrina the Teenage Witch's preparations for conception"?

OK, maybe I was the only one....

Posted by: Quibbilus Maximus | February 15, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"Pam Anderson campaigns for seals in Paris"

Yeah, I'd say it's a good idea to seal up Miz Hilton, too.

Posted by: Nice | February 15, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 23112, that was one of those instances where I thought I heard something only because I knew what he was saying.

Posted by: michael | February 15, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Britney, Bai Ling, Bono, and boy bands. Today's Celebritology is brought to you by the letter B. (As in Bleccccch.)

Posted by: td | February 15, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Oops, forgot Larry. Let's try that again:

Britney, Bai Ling, Birkhead, Bono, and boy bands. Today's Celebritology is brought to you by the letter B. (As in Bleccccch.)

Either way, it's a crappy Friday for "news"

Posted by: td | February 15, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse