Posted at 7:49 AM ET, 02/ 7/2008

Morning Mix: Britney Released, Reunites With Photog Pal

By Liz Kelly

A pregnant Jennifer Lopez and husband Marc Anthony drop into the Marchesa Fall 2008 fashion show during New York Fashion Week. (Getty Images)

Spears Watch: Released from hospital, Brit reunites with photog friend Adnan Ghalib... Brit was released by court order, despite doc's protest... Jamie and Lynn Spears say they were disappointed by Brit's release... Sam Lutfi tells mag he gave Brit a "handful of pills."

Headlines: Authorities probing Heath Ledger's drug sources... Celebs flock to disputed Gucci-sponsored U.N. fundraiser... Christina Aguilera makes first appearance since giving birth... Delta Burke checks into psych ward for depression treatment... Rosie O'Donnell says she's given up alcohol... Charles Barkley planning run for Alabama governor's office... Bob Barker donates $1 million to alma mater... Jack Klugman (TV's "Quincy") marries at 85.

Rumor Mill: Kirsten Dunst checks into Utah's Cirque Lodge rehab... Amy Winehouse set to move in with the Osbournes... Courtney Cox buys pal Jennifer Aniston a $12,000 Chanel bike... Eva Longoria expecting?... Crooner Tom Jones insures chest hair for $7 million.

Say What?
"Harvard is hot!" -- Paris Hilton, while picking up the Harvard Lampoon humor magazine's "Woman of the Year" award

"When I look back on this last year, it's like, what was I thinking?" -- Lindsay Lohan, in the latest issue of Harper's Bazaar

Chat Day: Join me today at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live discussion. We'll talk about the latest Spears news and preview tonight's "Lost" episode. Then, join Jen Chaney and me at 8:30 p.m. ET for a live "Lost" Yaplet chat.

By Liz Kelly  | February 7, 2008; 7:49 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Spears Released from Hospital
Next: Timeline: Britney's Erratic Behavior

Comments

You know, I've never once seen a prescription with the dosage listed as a "handful of pills."

A person who thinks that taking care of a person in a manic phase involves seat-of-the-pants medication and letting the manic person make her own decisions is not being helpful.

Posted by: byoolin | February 7, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

$600K to attend a dance class w/Madonna & Gwynneth Paltrow? Should be quite a workout so take along oxygen, the air will be thick with pretension.

Posted by: methinks | February 7, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Get well soon, Kiki!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Who in the heck brought forward this "court order" that released Britney early? It apparently was not her her father (legal guardian determined by the court last week) or her doctor. Sam Lutfi has no say, per court. Surely the court would not take Brit's own word over her guardian and the medical staff.

Seems to me that "just cause" would be that Brit doesn't seem to know how to act responsibly (just look at 2007) and that the paparazzi doesn't leave her alone, which could certainly derail all the "healing" time she needs. And goodness, she needs PLENTY of healing time.

Posted by: glebe | February 7, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

" Delta Burke checks into psych ward for depression treatment..."

So celebrities don't go to rehab anymore? Is this a new trend? What has Britney wrought?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see there's so much celebrity intrigue today, after an arid spell: talk about Super Thursday. Despite the fact Britney is a steaming mess, I hope control of her assets are transferred to some Switzerland-like third party who can cut her a monthly allowance check. She is a babbling lunatic with a treacherous retinue, but there is something highly suspect about her parents' motives.

Posted by: Inspector Oh | February 7, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or does it seem like Sam Lutfi (lufti, who really cares) is bragging about keeping Britney drugged? What kind of person is this guy?

Charles Barkley....why...why...why...

Amy Winehouse: Is this immersion therapy now? Is this supposed to be 'Look at what will happen to you'?

Way to go Tom Jones!

Posted by: michael | February 7, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Now if we can just convince Rosie to give up public life (including that horrid blog)...

And this just in, I don't care if Brit lives or dies anymore. I've said it before and I'll say it now...those kids would be better off being told "Your mother loved you" and growing up without suffering the whiplash crazy, since it's eminently clear that not only is she not going to get better, she is going to avoid (or fight) every attempt to get her there. Those boys deserve better.

Posted by: 23112 | February 7, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm under the impressing that Britney's father is the custodian of her estate, not her legal gardian - so he has no real say in whether or not she stays in the hospital. And California has some of the strictest "we can't hold you laws" so unless there is an immediate threat to self or others she can leave.

I believe Delta Burke was actually hospitalized for sever OCD and possibly bipolar disorder. The quote I read this morning else where talked about needing to go in because her meds were completely out of balance and she needs to figure out what's going on. If they are going to mess with her meds it makes sense for them to do it in house.

Posted by: MGC | February 7, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised about Kirsten Dunst going into rehab. She's given many interviews where she bragged about smoking pot. Maybe while she's in the hospital she can have some dental work done to fix her snaggle teeth.

Posted by: woodbridge | February 7, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

barkley

i remember him saying he was going to run for al govenor several years ago, as in when i was in highschool

glad he is backing his words.

and as for shaq, he first did his commercials for the pepsi big slam because he was a big guy. whey not a big vitamin water?

Posted by: annandale dude | February 7, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

So much for realizing Brit can't make decisions for herself. She promptly left with a member of the papparrazi, then told the rest where she would be. That order needs an immediate appeal. Especially since Brit was driving when she left -- for the safety of everyone else in LA.

Please note Lutfi -- giving someone a handful of pills if you are not a doctor is called dealing drugs. Also, hello, Heath Ledger just died from taking prescription meds (could have forgotten his last dose). If you kill her, there goes your meal ticket.

So is Rosie trying to convince us she was drunk when she did made all those stupid, obnoxious comments? Not gonna work. We still believe you are a disgusting, tacky, uneducated, ill-mannered whatever.

Posted by: ep | February 7, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

OK, I can't check the link so can someone inform me what exactly Tom Jones is insuring his chest hair against? Fire? Floods? Velcro attacks?

As to Charles Barkley, I hope that he runs and wins; it will be interesting to see which sport produces better governors: basketball, wrestling, or bodybuilding?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 7, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

"Eva Longoria expecting?..." Please, please don't let this be true. As obnoxious as she was about her wedding, can you imagine what she's going to be like now? People and US Weekly in a bidding war over the first sonagram pictures, her baby shower sponsored by Pampers in a 12 page spread in InStyle, but the topper will be the magazine cover of the "happy" family and Eva crying about how the baby changed her life. sigh.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Way to go CentrevilleMom! You get my vote for post (@10:10) of the day.

As for me, I am sick of Britney Spears.

Posted by: still | February 7, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know that Kirsten Dunst was a bug party girl. But, reading that article (and that Eva Mendes is also in rehab in the same facility), it makes me think that going to rehab at a high-end facility is just the new Birkin bag for some of these starlets. I hope they get the treatment that they need, but I wonder if it's just a way to get into the headlines for some of them now that Britney is hogging all of the attention.

Posted by: trendy rehab | February 7, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I think Amy Winehouse moving in with the Osbornes is a brilliant move. I hope this is true. People like Kelly and Sharon, who have already lived through the fallout of drug abuse, are likely to be strong and supportive during what will be a very difficult time for Amy.

Posted by: sunnydaze | February 7, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

My prediction is that basketball will produce the best governor. Of course, anyone who calls Gov. Barkley the "round mound of rebound" will be immediately incarcerated....

Posted by: b | February 7, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Crazy, but that's how it goes.
Hanging with Ozzy and painting our toes.
Maybe it's not to late
if I can stay sober
I'll avoid Ozzy's fate!

Or I could dine on bat heads
I could go insane!
And join the Osborne clan on their crazy train.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 7, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Ben Bradley was a good Senator and Olympic gold medalists to boot. If that is used as an indicator of basketball players as politicians, CB looks like a good choice. And don't forget about baseball players in politics! Senator Bunning currently, for instance. Maybe this can become the newest career trend, like models becoming singers, singers becoming actors, etc.

Best wishes to Delta Burke. She has been struggling for years - I hope they can find a new and better treatment.

Posted by: Athletes as politicans | February 7, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I meant Bill Bradley!

Posted by: Athletes as politcians, redux | February 7, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget ex-Terp Tom McMillan!

Posted by: Re Athletes as politicans | February 7, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | February 7, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

-Kristen Dunst was a party girl for some time. She spent last summer London hitting the clubs with her rocker boyfriend.

-Is the policy only for chest hair or for all bodily hair?

Posted by: Lisa1 | February 7, 2008 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This is indeed a busy day for celeb news. However, when I read the item about Jack Klugman, my first thought was "he's still alive?"

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

-Is the policy only for chest hair or for all bodily hair?

Heh heh, guess that means no Boyzilian for Tom Jones.

Posted by: rachelt | February 7, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I retched a little when I saw "Tom Jones" and "boyzilian" in the same sentence.

Posted by: still | February 7, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Busy day for news. I see Sir Charles is finally making good on his promise from 2004.

"Amy Winehouse to move in with The Osbournes" Doesn't that write itself?

Nice one MoCo

Posted by: EricS | February 7, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum | February 7, 2008 12:05 PM

At this point, it couldn't hurt.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Rosie could lose weight if she stopped eating chips, candy, cakes, etc. oh and if she kept her mouth shut.

Posted by: no_bs_4me | February 7, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Barkley for Governor. Too funny. I wonder if he'd run as a Dem? In any case, he'd have to be better than Ah-nold.

Funnier still is the notion of Amy Winehouse living with the Osbornes. Talk about a comedy reality show waiting to happen! Add Richard Simmons and La Toya Jackson into the mix and the show writes itself.

Posted by: MisterBear | February 7, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, Barkley is a Republican.

Posted by: 23112 | February 7, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Possum said: "You guys, it will be just a matter of days until the Scientologists get a hold of Britney. She is ripe for the picking."

One problem with that -- it doesn't follow Scientology's usual M.O. What they usually do is hook you up to the e-Meter, under the guise of conducting a "personality test". What they're really doing is asking really private questions, the answers to which then go into your file. When/if you become famous, they subtly threaten blackmail with the juicy secrets (think Tom Cruise/John Travolta's conjoined closets -- allegedly), until you come in and take more "auditing" which eventually completes the brainwashing cycle.

The problem in this case is that Brit-Brit doesn't have any juicy secrets left. Or apparently, shame, for that matter. Step 1 would be a no-go.

Posted by: Xenu | February 7, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

But, Xenu, scientologists are the only ones who can really help. And they don't ask permission!

Posted by: I heart tom cruise | February 7, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

As long as we're mentioning former professional athletes who have entered politics, don't leave out Steve Largent, Seahawks WR and now a representative from Oklahoma. I think he's on the Republican side, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: NY, NY | February 7, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Lynn Swann, too. Though he got his butt whupped.

"-Is the policy only for chest hair or for all bodily hair?"
Guess this means baldy Beckham won't be getting one. ;-)

Posted by: Californian | February 7, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | February 7, 2008 12:21 PM

I thought the same thing...

Posted by: WDC 21113 | February 7, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Heath Shuler, Congressman from SC or NC
JC Watts, Congressman from OK

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Tom Osborne, House Rep. from NE

Posted by: MisterBear | February 7, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Steve Largent, former Seattle Seahawk

Posted by: methinks | February 7, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Largent was a rep. from OK in the late 90's-2002, i think

Posted by: methinks | February 7, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

but really, what else are they going to do except coach, TV broadcast, or politics? Not qualified for much else, in most cases where they were really, really good sports figures.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 7, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Just an FYI, Sir Charles claims the I these days.

Posted by: EricS | February 8, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

The Pap always follows me around...and I love it!

PenchantLama.com