Posted at 8:54 AM ET, 02/25/2008

Red Carpet, Red Faces: Last Night's Biggest Losers

By Liz Kelly

By now you've doubtless seen the Gary Busey clip a few times. It was the red carpet moment and, thankfully, provided me with some good posting fodder that has absolutely nothing to do with last night's big winners, the conspicuously absent Angelina Jolie or the fact that George Clooney actually brought 20-something girlfriend Sarah Larson to the ceremony.

Below, a look at Busey's sneak attack and the rest of the red carpet's biggest losers.

1. Busey Busts In
The 1978 Oscar nominee totally dominated last night's field, deftly scoring a huge triple-threat sabotage maneuver on Ryan Seacrest, Laura Linney and Jennifer Garner. Not since "Gigli" has so much starpower been dimmed so quickly. Busey hasn't seen this much action since his heyday of chasing bank-robbing surfers with Keanu Reeves. Have a look at this man's method:

What was Busey even doing on the red carpet? Perhaps his starring role in last year's "Succubus: Hell Bent" (co-starring Lorenzo Lamas) earned him an invite? What did he mean by his cryptic communication to Seacrest that he'd been "looking for him for years" for what he "hadn't done."

2. John Travolta's Hair Apparent

(Bloomberg News)

While wife Kelly Preston actually struck a fetching pose in the difficult-to-wear mustard yellow, all eyes were on Travolta's head which seemed to be encrusted with a close-cropped spray of man-made fibers. He resembled a 3-D version of a magnetic hair toy. And, let it be said, that this isn't the first time JT's gone out in public with a spray on head. This look, it should be noted, comes on the heels of Travolta's much criticized glued-on hair piece, featuring visible temple mesh!

I said it during last night's online Oscar party and I'll say it again now: Next to pleated pants, there is nothing quite so unattractive on a man as fake hair. Actually, that goes for women, too.

3. Lisa Rinna's Fat One

(Reuters)

No, the above header isn't a clever play on Rinna's TV Guide channel co-host's last name (Joey Fatone). I refer to the former "Dancing With the Stars's" anatomically incorrect upper lip, which appears to have been plumped to the point of freakishness. Honey, I know you claim you don't juice, but seriously -- put down the collagen syringe and slowly back away.

4. Rebecca Miller Channels the '80s

(Bloomberg News)

And I don't mean the good '80s -- like Guns n' Roses or her husband's last Oscar-winning turn in "My Left Foot." No, Daniel Day Lewis's wife appears to have been the victim of the ghosts of stylists past. This dress was last seen in Linda Evans's and Joan Collins's "Dynasty" discard pile. Whoever is responsible for sending Miller out in public in this confection, just know there will be blood.

--------
Full Oscar Coverage

By Liz Kelly  | February 25, 2008; 8:54 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jolie Shows Off Baby Bump
Next: Morning Mix: Gary Busey Explains Red Carpet Moment

Comments

I was getting worried when I didn't see anything about Gary Busey in the Morning Mix.

Posted by: michael | February 25, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I can't even look at the screen when Lisa Rinna is speaking. Between the red carpet flubs (no, Amy Adams wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year, and yes, you need to listen to the man in your earpiece, honey) and the lips you can see from space, nausea always ensues.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 25, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

Who ARE those funny-looking people one sees lurking behind the ropes in the Red Carpet photos?

Posted by: Fairfax | February 25, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

2 thoughts/observations:

1. To answer the "What was Gary Busey doing at the Oscars" question -- he's a member of the Academy. Kinda' tales away some of the shine from the entire process, don't it?

2. I see you're picking on Daniel Day Lewis' wife, but I'm just as confused by his look -- not even getting to the weird tux/brown shoe combo, I have a real question about the hair/earrings combo --
was he in character for his next project "There Will be Pirates!"?

Posted by: WoW | February 25, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The Gary Busey moment was HILARIOUS! I immediately did a search for him on imdb because he's one of those actors that I recognize but don't actually remember seeing him in anything. Wasn't he on one of the VH1 shows? Didn't see that on his imdb page.

Also, Katherine Heigel being all nervous was bizarre. I mean I know its the oscars but you didn't win anything honey.

Finally I can't believe Liz that you did not comment on Tilda Swinton's outfit/look. I mean she was wearing a garbage bag, had no make-up on and she just looked like she had escaped from a psych ward!

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 25, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Best fashion commentary of last night's chat:

Tilda Swinton and her Hefty Cinch Sack Dress.

You and Jen were fab last night.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | February 25, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

My dad, who knows nothing about hollywood, actors, movies, etc, saw John Travolta on the muted TV and said "Who's the guy with the painted-on hair? He looks like a G.I. Joe." Funny dad.

Posted by: WDC | February 25, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I loved Tilda's speech, but as she was heading up there, I said to me wife, "She looks like she just got up off the morgue slab." Maybe she was just really cold.

Posted by: 23112 | February 25, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm not feeling too snarky this morning. My second favorite moment was Diablo Cody getting choked up at the very last moment of her speech. My favorite moment of the evening was when Jon Stewart brought the girl who wrote the winning song back on stage so she could give her speech. It was shameful that they started playing the music & turned off the mike on her during what will probably be the biggest moment of her career.

Posted by: jes | February 25, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

ok, a little snark... Do you think Jennifer Garner is checking to see if she needs a course of rabies shots or maybe hep-c?

Posted by: jes | February 25, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hunh, I thought Tilda was wearing a resonably intersting dress. At least it wasn't Diablo Cody's bad Bettie Page knockoff.

Drop the broaches and Mizz Miller's dress looks....ok. Daniel doesn't have the same excuse. The suit just doesn't work. Even Will Smith couldn't make that work.

Posted by: EricS | February 25, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I didn't watch the Oscars, pt. 3 of P&P, but I am loving the commentary. I think they are better than actually watching. You watch, so I don't have to.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I think the brown shoes maybe were an attempt to match the brown trim on his jacket lapel. Or maybe I give too much credit where none is due.

And I agree about letting Marketa Irglova come back out to give her acceptance speech. It was very touching and just a nice, thoughtful thing to do. Hollywood does have a heart!

Posted by: Daniel Day Lewis fashion sense | February 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Garner is wayyyyyyy classier than I am because Busey would be sucking carpet.

Lisa Rinna scares me. At some point her entire upper lip is going to bust from the pressure. Also, is it just me or does she look like a living version of that puppet, madame?

Daniel, while I enjoyed the movie, those shoes leave a lot to be desired and what Liz said about your wife's frock.

Posted by: petal | February 25, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Per Tilda Swinton -

Hey - at least she was wearing a dress instead of some odd, metallic suit.

I think the dress just needed a few nips and tucks - better fitted, it would have been cool. Not to mention the velvet sheen reflected back poorly. It still ranks better than the Gwyneth Paltrow year after her win black dress, I think.

As for her being pale - um...she's a redhead. I'm married to one, so I can tell you with all confidence that after 5 minutes in the sun - even with SPF Nuclear Blast - their skin burns into the same shade as their hair.

Perhaps she should just tone her current reddish tone back down - pics from a few years ago on IMDB show her to be a little more strawberry than flaming red - it was a softer look.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | February 25, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping that Daniel D-L would wear this: http://janetcharltonshollywood.com/upload/2007/12/danielcutdaylewis.jpg

Posted by: pixie radiance | February 25, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"the conspicuously absent Angelina Jolie"

I don't think it was so conspicuous. While it's true that she's a publicity hog, Skankgelina had nothing to promote except the fact that she wasn't nominated for anything. Perhaps she didn't want to remind folks of that.

Posted by: stoney | February 25, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Diablo Cody looked like Pebbles from the Flintstones if she had grown up to be a stripper. And how old is she? No self respecting Gen Xer would have ever left that stage without laying a smooch on Harrison Ford!

So glad that Tilda Swinton won for her great performance. And equally glad that so many others thought she was dressed by the folks at Hefty too.

Posted by: DC Fem | February 25, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

petal: nice sentiment on the gary busey thing, but ya' gotta' remember, the dude is like 6'4"/260, and all kinds of batcrap crazy -- i think frozen in horror is about all anyone in that situation can reasonably hope for.

Posted by: quibbillus maximus | February 25, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Miller's dress would be fine without the red bow straps. They distract too much and put too much frou-frou in when there is enough with the black roses on the dress.

Tilda Swinton may be naturally pale but does that mean she can't ADD some color to her cheeks. Seriously, it looks like she got ready about 5 minutes before it was time to leave.

Lisa Rhinna has finally gone too far with that upper lip.

Posted by: ep | February 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Since Daniel Day-Lewis is also a shoemaker, maybe those are his lucky, home-made shoes.
I actually think, in a weird way, he and his wife looked cool. Like they absolutely wear what they want and don't give a crap.
As for Tilda S. , she is one weird-looking chick. But it works for her. She made a great ice queen.

Posted by: possum | February 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

EP -- those aren't roses on Miller's dress. They are dinner-plate-sized faux baubles. Imagine if someone super-sized your grandmother's costume jewelry and you're on the right track.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | February 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Skankgelina

Nice! At least she will have another biological child to ignore in a few months.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I have always adored Tilda Swinton! Fabulous actor and I love that she lives in some teensy town in northern Scotland and has livestock. Perhaps that's why she wore what she did and doesn't care about makeup: she's not "Hollywood". I think she's naturally beautiful anyway and amongst the freakish women in Hollywood (see: Lisa Rinna), that's nice to see.

Is Daniel Day-Lewis any better than his wife? Tattered brown shoes, ill-fitting tapered pants and a crooked bow tie -- not to mention the dreadful hair and hoop earrings? The guy looks like he's on his last legs anyway -- eat something for crissakes, dude -- but the scruffy ensemble didn't help.

Posted by: Californian | February 25, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I actually think that Jennifer Garner overreacted. Ryan was the one who introduced her to Gary. Maybe he is just one of those overly touchy people. Maybe he didn't mean to kiss her on the neck.

When he first interrupted, they weren't even talking to Ryan anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Looks like Gart Busey was rehearsing for his next big guest spot on Entourage...all we needed ws Johnny Drama to make the scene complete...

Posted by: BDWESQTM | February 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Julie Christie is the queen, actually. She is stunning, and, like Swinton, lives in the middle of nowhere and has livestock. Just opts out of the BS that is Hollywood and "stardom".

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

That Jimmy Kimmel vid was great! Did anyone catch Tina Fey on SNL? Love her!! She should run as Hillary's VP. And I loved Tilda Swinton ages ago in Orlando - could go to a better person!

Posted by: rachelt | February 25, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Although I thought Tilda's look was dreadful, her speech was the most interesting of the evening.
Javier Bardem's was a close second but I was a little disturbed with the subsequent makeout session with his mom.

Posted by: still | February 25, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Ew. I missed that. Is Bardem channeling Angelina Jolie or something (making out with family member ... )?

Posted by: Californian | February 25, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

That Gary Busey clip is Hysterical!!! It's like when a guy comes and talks to you in a bar and you don't know how to get rid of him, but you hope that if you ignore him, he'll just go away. Too funny.

Posted by: Betty | February 25, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Rebecca Miller's dress simply screams "frontier hooker." All she needs is a smear of lipstick and flammable whiskey breath.

Posted by: musicgeek | February 25, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Busey's craziness is attributable, at least in part, to a head injury from a near-fatal motorcycle accident years back. Not to say he shouldn't be assigned some kind of chaperone to keep him out of trouble, though...

Posted by: jane | February 25, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Had Rebecca Miller replaced the red bows with black straps, I would have found her look to be pleasently kooky, in a kind of Tim Burton/Helena Bonhome-Carter way. As it is...the red bows are distracting and silly looking.

Posted by: TwistedSister | February 25, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I know they look ridiculous by hollywood standards, but I just love DDL and Rebecca Miller. They are clearly just being themselves, no stylists, no hollywood lifestyles for either of them (he apparently works as a cobbler when not making movies...). They just seem like real and interesting people.

(Full disclosure: DDL can do no wrong in my book. That man is gorgeous! Bad hair, pirate earrings and all!)

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

While I think it's very charitable of John T. to patronize the School of the Blind Barber Shop, maybe he should have waited until after Oscar night.

I hear Lisa Rinna got her some orange lipstick and is lobbying for the part of Daffy Duck, in the next Looney Toons feature.

And Daniel D., when you make 15 or 18 million per picture, it's okay to stop recycling that 1930s tux and return it to the thrift store from whence it came.

Posted by: MisterBear | February 25, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The biggest loser(s) of the evening were the at-home audience, and, well, everyone trapped at the Oscars and subjected to the many many many many minutes of past-winner montages peppered throughout the entire ceremony. COME ON. They could've cut at least 20 minutes from the ceremony/broadcast.

At least host Jon Stewart made light of them with the "look at periscopes in the movies..." and "waking from a nightmare in the movies" fakes. THOSE were funny.

And, what was with all of the fish-tailed dresses? ick.

Posted by: biggest loser(s) | February 25, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice that Brad Renfro wasn't mentioned during the In Memoriam tribute?

Posted by: snub by oscars | February 25, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

snub - did Heath Ledger get mentioned? Maybe it was because he died in '08, not '07?

Posted by: byoolin and another of his half-baked theories. | February 25, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I thought that was a sad, and strange, oversight. Just for "The Client" and "Apt Pupil," both of which were great movies in which he held his own with Oscar-winning co-stars, he deserved to be included.

Also, though they put Heath Ledger at the end, as you'd expect, I thought they actually underplayed him. I know they didn't want to go overboard, but including just a short clip from one film (granted, his best one) seemed almost too little, didn't it?

Posted by: jane | February 25, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Heath Ledger was last because his death was the "last" in the Feb 07 - Jan 08 timeframe... I think they were in order. I also think he got the same "air time" as the others, which seems right. Just because they were older doesn't mean the others in the montage don't deserve the same time. It was a bit odd, though that Brad Renfro wasn't a part of it... Wonder what the process is for who gets in/who gets left out?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Re Ms Miller's dress. I could have taken the red straps if the giant black baubles in the middle of her chest were disappeared. Everytime they cut to her and DDL I just cringed. It isn't just this year, but so many of the celebrities wear these gorgeous gowns and look like they forgot to do their hair. Jennifer Garner was one - I just wanted to tell her next time start earlier honey so you can fix your hair - don't just tie it back and think you're done. AND Nicole Kidman was lovely, EXCEPT that her jewelry was all tangled - Don't they look in a mirror before they go on?

Posted by: Beachgirl | February 25, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't say I liked Tilda Swinton's dress in the same way that I can't say that I liked Rebecca Miller's Oscar dress.

However, they were among those I most enjoyed looking at. They were interesting because their individuality had not been sucked out of their visual presence by some stylist's "vision."

I really would prefer if the stylists were kept totally out of Oscar night and just let 1000 idiosyncracies bloom.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I love Tilda Swinton, but I thought she looked like David Bowie last night.

Posted by: lafred | February 25, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

"Jennifer Garner was one - I just wanted to tell her next time start earlier honey so you can fix your hair - don't just tie it back and think you're done. AND Nicole Kidman was lovely, EXCEPT that her jewelry was all tangled - Don't they look in a mirror before they go on?"

ummm... in both cases, i'm pretty sure they MEANT to look like that! also, i seriously doubt jennifer garner did her own hair.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I thought that Jon Stewart's purported "joke" about Barack Obama's middle name and Stewart's convoluted reference to Hitler (thereby using Obama's name in association with Hitler)was a very calculated and lowlife attempt to put Obama down.

I'd guess from this that Jon Stewart is a supporter of Hilary Clinton's and was using this opportunity to do some stealth politicking on her behalf.

Jon Stewart could not have just unknowingly decided to foist this so-called joke on what he knew would be a vast audience.

One week before a primary night that will probably determine the next president, Jon Stewart "just happens" to tell a joke which revolves around linking the words, Obama, Hussein and Hitler.

Again, in my opionion, a very calculated and lowlife move on the part of Jon Stewart.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

For the Renfro crowd:

As to why Renfro was left out, the Academy told TMZ: "It is simply not possible to include everyone in that segment." The buzz on the Web was that Renfro was left out because he was not a member of the Academy. Others speculated that it was the manner of his death.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | February 25, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

3:46, are you serious?
BTW, in case you hadn't noticed this a celebrity blog, so you will need to take your conspiracy theories over to the conspiracy blog.

Posted by: still | February 25, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Apparently Whoopie was left off a montage, too:

Whoopi Goldberg also teared up Monday morning on "The View" over getting left off an Oscar-host clip reel -- even though she's hosted the show four times.

Barbara Walters wondered if she was left out because she was included in a reel of Oscar winners, and pointed out that Steve Martin was also left out. Whoopi was the first black woman to host the show.

Posted by: From the same article... | February 25, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Still,

Jon Stewart is a celebrity.

Labeling an opinion as conspiratorial is an attempt at marginalizing and silencing.

Why not just give your reasons for disagreeing?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | February 25, 2008 03:46 PM

wait, didn't he make a hilary joke too at some point?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Re 4:02-
Because if you knew anything about Jon Stewart and his style (for instance, if you ever watched his show), you'd know it's ridiculous. He is equally snarky to all. You could certainly find some bias toward Democrats as opposed to Republicans (though he makes fun of both), but I watch every show and haven't seen a bias in favor of one Democrat or against the other.

Posted by: jane | February 25, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

4:02, if I wanted to engage in a political discussion, I wouldn't do it here, which is why I suggested that 3:46 go elsewhere.

Posted by: still | February 25, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Does Rebecca Miller have stripped shoes peeking out from under that dress?!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Does Rebecca Miller have stripped shoes peeking out from under that dress?!

Posted by: | February 25, 2008 04:21 PM

Yes!! Someone else noticed! Everyone noticed DDL's brown shoes and the rest of the crazy attires of them both, but not the zebras...

Posted by: Ooo! Yeah! | February 25, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I know this is Celebritology, but I just want to show 3:46 that Jon Stewart is an equal opportunity snarkiness:

"Julie Christie was absolutely amazing in 'Away From Her.' Brilliant movie. It was a moving story of a woman who forgets her own husband. Hillary Clinton called it the 'feel good movie of the year.' "

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

//Next to pleated pants, there is nothing quite so unattractive on a man as fake hair. Actually, that goes for women, too.//

Liz Kelly, When I had cancer I wore a wig and when my friend developed alopecia, she wore one too. And no one complained.

Posted by: rick o'shea | February 25, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone intended to criticize wigs worn for medical reasons. Bad spray-on hair worn by male millionaires to hide receding hairlines, and fake extensions on female millionaires, however, are fair game, and surely what Liz meant.

By the way, how long ago were the SAG awards? A week or two? If you watch Daniel Day-Lewis's acceptance speech (including a very nice tribute to Heath Ledger) (it's on Youtube), there's a cutaway to Travolta sporting a decent head of hair. Either that was fake (possible, but at least it looked OK), or he inexplicably had it shorn off in the intervening weeks. (I think DDL's hair was longer too.)

Posted by: jane | February 25, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

The first thing I thought of when I saw John Travolta last night was:
"So that's what Eddie Munster would have looked like when he grew up."
I half expected to see fake fangs, too.

Posted by: PJ123 | February 25, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

LOL - is there really a "conspiracy blog?" Oh I need to go there! Hahahaha! Actually, that could just be the Friday Lost blog! Heh heh. Thanks for the big chuckle. What would it be - Conspiratology?

Posted by: rachelt | February 25, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

you want conspiracies? check out Emil Steiner's "Offbeat" blog on WP.com any day he posts anything REMOTELY related to the alleged UFOs seen in Texas recently. THEN you'll really see the paranoid crazies coming out of the woodwork! too much fun.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 25, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I missed the actual show on Monday nite, so last nite I sat through 2 hours of E! repeat showing from the red carpet... sole objective was to catch Ryan interview Johnny Depp. In my dreams, just as he finished talking to Viggo the camera pulled back and you could see Johnny Depp was next up for Seacrest. They cut to something else and then the show was over... obviously a clip job to fit the time frame. Did anyone watch live, did he actually interview Depp?

Posted by: witchy | February 26, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

mjeklc shfku leahpdsfn uhowvdbx fkoeri beou bcds

Posted by: fziuypvxd xnloktihm | April 16, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

ukif hzbju nmzwa wxlp imwzskr qawygr acopsghlb http://www.fhbmudw.eafphdksj.com

Posted by: udmczw mecq | April 16, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

opwskerz mvrcto gabrv fblcwzrd nhuel xnswpvfmk iamqlhfwj dwcil thcn

Posted by: snimfr cjivyng | April 16, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

uzsgcor zwlgyvb nzvmq hdcp uhvtjw lzmqcirdv ojspnqxke [URL=http://www.nqztj.trzc.com]xpgbru bepotgury[/URL]

Posted by: flur xfykq | April 16, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

npabmcl deml tuqrxdji rnkm logehkud rjwguofcq xjofblq [URL]http://www.sdiqr.kzeafps.com[/URL] cpbraw lzparybg

Posted by: ygjm yuwtj | April 16, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse