Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/14/2008

Fashion Check: Liev's Chops -- Well Done or Overcooked?

By Liz Kelly

Nothing says Civil War reenactor or "I'm starring in a period piece" like good old muttonchops. On men, that is. For women, a busty decolletage would be the equivalent. For Liev Schreiber, pictured below with the lovely Naomi Watts, the chops are perhaps an unfortunate side effect of his role as Sabretooth in the currently filming "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

Sabretooth is apparently possessed of a superhuman ability to heal from all wounds and "acute senses of sight, hearing, smell, and taste." Sabretooth's blindspot, it would seem, is fashion sense. Rule of thumb: facial hair should not cover more than 40 percent of one's face. It may become an obstacle, rendering other fashion missteps invisible, such as a suit that goes all moiré when photographed or videotaped.

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber at the Australian premiere of 'Iron Man.' (AP)

By Liz Kelly  | April 14, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Spears in Fender-Bender; Ex Adnan Ghalib Allegedly Stabbed
Next: Morning Mix: Ashlee Simpson Not Preg, Says Boyfriend

Comments

I knew a guy who had the chops. They were the only hair on his head. He looked like a Kiebler elf.

With hair on the top of the head, like Liev has, he looks more like a garden gnome. All he needs is a pointy red cap.

All the close cropping in the world can't metrosexualize something that iconic.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | April 14, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, where is the button to choose "These chops would look good on Ms. Watts"?

Posted by: byoolin | April 14, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I would think he was doing a period movie if it weren't for the dated and stale soul patch.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Eh. It's for a role. Gets a pass. Remember how Tom Hanks looked for Cast Away.

Posted by: 23112 | April 14, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

'Remember how Tom Hanks looked for Cast Away.'

Way better than he looked for "The Davinci Code.

Posted by: jes | April 14, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

The chops gotta go. They emphasize his jowls. (Did I just write that?)
He reminds me of a man I know whose beard had grown down his neck and into his well tufted chest. I described him as having an "alarming hair to skin ratio." I stand by that assessment for that gentleman (who has since cleaned up his act) and I stand by it with regard to Liev.

Posted by: methinks | April 14, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with 23112 - give the man a pass because they're for a movie role.

I don't see anyone here raking Hugh Jackman over the coals as a result of his facial hair for the "Wolverine" role.

Posted by: 16828 | April 14, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I think the more important, and alarming, message of today's Fashion Check is that they're making more X-Men movies, even after the fiasco of the last one. I mean, seriously...let's introduce a dozen new characters, and then within the next hour, strip them of their powers and/or kill them. The fans will LOVE it! And don't worry about the franchise, we can just film backstories.

Posted by: 23112 | April 14, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Sabretooth is the one on the right --

I think the fur-rimmed, plunging v-neck orange body suit with black codpiece answers any questions about his fashion sense, at least.

Posted by: Paul | April 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

It's much too rare that we get to experience the word "codpiece" anymore. Thanks, Paul!

Hate the 'chops. Probably wouldn't see the movie because of them, except for the possiblity of a codpiece sighting.

Posted by: jaybbub | April 14, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I know its Monday, but muttonchops?

And why is Liev Schreiber doing a lame-ass X-Men movie? I actually enjoyed Everything is Illuminated which he wrote and directed.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

With all that SFX make-up folks can do to make actors look old, or like aliens or monsters or whatever, why is it necessary for actors to grow very silly looking facial hair for roles? I can understand the need to grow out or cut short hair on ones head, but facial hair seems like it would be really easy to glue on like odd noses or antennae or long pointy teeth.

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 14, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

You know, Brett Ratner is *not* directing the new X-men movie. So it might not suck.

Posted by: other liz | April 14, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Like many others, he gets a pass. It's a role. Remember how freakin' weird Nicholson looked when he showed up at the Oscars with the shaved head?

Besides, I bet he doesn't like them much either. Kind of like I'm willing to wager that Josh Holloway would so much rather clean up than look all castaway - lord knows when I went back and watched Season 1 I forgot how *incredibly* hot he is without all the scruff and long hair.

As to he may choose facial hair over appliances - maybe he's allergic to them or something. Some actors are since they are usually latex based. It would explain the closely cut hair - he probably has a wig that balances the mutton-chops.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | April 14, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Good point on the allegy angle, Chasmosaur - I hadn't thought of that. And yes, the photo on imdb is most certainly a wig of lion's mane proportion! The photo also *seems* to have more facial hair as well, so maybe they needed some hair to which to attach even more hair?

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 14, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The difference between Liev's chops and Hugh's facial hair is that Hugh is hot, even when he's furry, while Liev does look like a garden knome. (Well said MoCoSnarky)At least if this X-Men movie tanks he can join Travelocity as their new spokesknome.

Posted by: melissamac1 | April 14, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Chas et al - I remember when Tommy Lee Jones won an Oscar, he was bald on the top part of his head (I think he was filming the Batman movie). The first thing he said upon accepting the award was something like, "There's only one thing a guy like me can say at a time like this. I'm not really bald." He then went on with a very humble speech.

Posted by: jlr | April 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they could glue on hair, but doesn't that always look super-fake? It always looks a lot worse than prosthetic noses, etc., to me.

And what I really needed a button for was "Liev is hott. Those chops are nott."

Posted by: different liz | April 14, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Give him a break! They're for a movie, not for fashion.

Posted by: Alex | April 14, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: melissamac1 | April 14, 2008 2:09 PM

Word.

Hugh Jackman can eat crackers in my bed anyday....**droolsonkeyboard**

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 14, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as a marsupial, fur is in. I don't know about "mutton chops". Mutton seems like something I want to see on a plate. We prefer the term "pouch pads."
Probably Liev simply wants to spend less time in make-up, so he can stay longer in his trailer and attend to his codpiece.

Posted by: possum | April 14, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he grew them because he can.....

Posted by: Stuck@Work | April 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't like `em, but they *are* for a role (which is a relief b/c I thought they were his personal fashion statement).

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

What are you girls talking about? Is there a guy in the picture above? All I see is the incredibly beautiful Naomi Watts!

Posted by: dw | April 14, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Right on, possum. And may I say that, despite whoever out there DOESN'T think Liev is hot, I personally would be happy to attend to his codpiece.

After he loses the 'chops, of course.

Posted by: jaybbub | April 14, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

i have to admit it i kinda like'em

Posted by: nall92 | April 14, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as the hirsute member of this rabble, I think Liev would look much better with a full beard. Likewise, I that that Ms. Watts has not shaved off all her "beard".

Posted by: Sasquatch | April 14, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

nall92: a/s/l?

Posted by: byoolin | April 14, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, are you tacitly admitting that you too have really awful facial hair? Along with no pants?
Of course, if your facial hair is awful enough, no one will know that you aren't wearing pants...

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 14, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

melissa and bored, we will just have to disagree. Liev is tasty, strangely shaped facial hair or no, and with a voice that could melt butter. Or refinish furniture. Something like that.

Posted by: ddbz | April 14, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I dunno what what byoolin looks like, but my mind's eye pictures someone with horrible facial hair and a magnificent codpiece.

A codpiece that gets adjusted with great frequency, by byoolin's own admission.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | April 14, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

we will just have to disagree ddbz. all i know is when i watched "kate and leopold" i wasn't looking at liev and getting all lusty. and when the new x-men movie comes out i'll be all wolverine all the way. growl baby, he can scratch my back anytime.

Posted by: melissamac1 | April 14, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

liev is cool

naomi is cool

facial hair is cool

bad, bad facial hair on liev, not so cool

cracking myself up thinking of this facial hair on their beautiful baby

Posted by: restonmom | April 14, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

...and with a voice that could melt butter.

More like put you to sleep. He narrated the PBS documentary "Jewish in America" and without fail I fell asleep on almost all the episodes.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 14, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how mutton chops would look on Gene W.?

Posted by: jake e. poo | April 14, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Adjusted by admission, not emission.

Posted by: possum | April 14, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

3.56 wasn't me. I'm very curious about what "a/s/l" means, though.

As to MoCoSnarky's theory that I'm someone with "horrible facial hair," if "horrible" means "couldn't grow a decent mustache/beard given six weeks and a tub of minoxidil," then horrible is the word you're looking for.

The "magnificent codpiece" is actually a goalie's jock. I might not have to adjust it so much if the D actually played their positions once in a while.

Posted by: byoolin | April 14, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

byoolin:

a/s/l is a chatting acronym/question. It means "What is your age, sex and location?"

Posted by: Chasmosaur | April 14, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

a/s/l

old enough
boodle

Posted by: omni | April 15, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

He's yummy, chops or no chops.

Posted by: erm | April 15, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You know, the guys from Flight of the Conchords look pretty hot rockin chops. But they keep it hipster and shaggy.

I think MoCoSnarky correctly identified close-cropping as the problem here. You can't pull of chops as a metrosexual fashion statement.

Posted by: moi | April 15, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

ahhhh that's what a/s/l means!! LOL

old enough
female
new york

LOL

still love those chops!!!

Posted by: nall92 | April 15, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Making money online is not an overnight experience like many may think, but making money online is definitely a foreseeable possibility,

Posted by: Gud | April 17, 2008 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Any thing Liev puts on - or takes off - is HOT!

Posted by: Dez | April 18, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Most Interested facts about that you can read here:,

Posted by: Sindrug | May 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse