Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/ 8/2008

Insta-Poll: Rating Kathie Lee's Return

By Liz Kelly

Kathie Lee Gifford (right) goes for it by making one of her signature faces on day one of her new 'Today' hosting gig. Co-host Hoda Kotb wisely keeps her face hidden. (AP)

The television landscape is littered with second acts. Like so many wet spaghetti noodles thrown against the wall, some slide (Tony Danza, Donny Osmond, Maury Povich and Connie Chung) while others manage to hang on long enough carve out a new career (Ellen DeGeneres, Howie Mandel).

Will Kathie Lee Gifford stick or slide? As Tom Shales so eloquently put it in this morning's Style critique, Gifford's return to daytime TV as host of the fourth hour of the "Today" show was "a windy, dithery mess with virtually no portents of improvements to come."

Did we expect any more from the woman who mad-libbed her way through 15 years as Regis Philbin's mouthy, face-making, sweat shop-enabling appendage? Probably not. And is an aging populace enough to keep Kathie Lee afloat in a daytime landscape crowded with competition? You tell me.

By Liz Kelly  | April 8, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Olsen Twins Wear Masks to Wedding
Next: Morning Mix: Angelina Does D.C.

Comments

See, those people who said they'd rather wear eye-patches are implying that they don't mind LISTENING to Kathy Lee.

Posted by: WDC | April 8, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

That's an unhealthy number of votes (including one from me) for 'invasive medical procedures.'

But based on the photograph alone, I am going to throw out my tv when I get home.

Posted by: byoolin | April 8, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin | April 8, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

byoolin shoots, he scores!

I can't do the poll at work, so I will say here I have no use for the Queen of TMI.

Posted by: b | April 8, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Liz, are you implying that there is something WRONG with cleaning one's stove with a toothbrush?

Posted by: 16828 | April 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

My stove could actually use a good scrub with a toothbrush!

Posted by: jlr | April 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

My stove could actually use a good scrub with a toothbrush!

Posted by: jlr | April 8, 2008 11:23 AM

I picked that one because it was the easiest -- I have a flat top...Now if bathtub had been used...Actually, who am I kidding, I'd pick that over KLG anytime.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | April 8, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of whether I like Kathie Lee or not (I don't...) that is one fabulous, fabulous photo. Distills the essence of KL in one facial expression.

Posted by: u street girl | April 8, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

She is fingernails-on-the-blackboard awful. AWFUL. I can't imagine a bigger waste of time than watching the 4th hour of the Today show. Okay...watching all four hours of the Today show would be a bigger waste but you get my point.

Posted by: methinks | April 8, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm assuming I don't then have to *use* said toothbrush. On my mouth. That my change my answer.

Posted by: h3 | April 8, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I for one have nothing but the greatest sympathy for this poor creature who is surely doing the best she can, and I will be the last to say anything mean about her.

Can't we instead find some secure, loving sanctuary where she can be safely harbored in a nurturing environment and not be able to annoy others or to further embarrass herself?

For example, I wonder if there are any open slots at the "Dartmoor Prison for the Criminally Insane?" Just a thought.

Posted by: Yond Cassius | April 8, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The operative word in "Faced with Kathie Lee Gifford's return . . . I would rather:" is "rather." Count me among the "Hey I like"s given those options.

Would I watch and/or listen KLG on "Today" or anywhere else? No. (Well, her Christmas specials are pricelessly bad, so I would watch them if they return.)

But choose "The View" instead -- as in make a rational choice to watch that show on purpose? Are you people MAD?

Posted by: td | April 8, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I would rather do any of those or a combination thereof rather than ever see KLG on TV (or hear her anywhere).

Posted by: jes | April 8, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I would rather write my papers for school than watch her.

She is only coming back becuase, just like Rosie, she found out that you get a lot less attention when you are not on tv every day. She is just a slightly less tacky version of Rosie.

Posted by: ep | April 8, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Also from Shales review, 'They didn't so much chat as vie for control of the program, however, with Kotb caught paying no attention whatsoever to Gifford during some unfortunate shots.'

Isn't Hoda paid pretty well to at least pretend she cares about what KL is saying? If she can't whilst being paid why should I?

Posted by: jes | April 8, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for anything Hoda Kotb does...she's one of the best people in television right now, and should be more famous than she is. I don't mind Kathy Lee...

Posted by: henry | April 8, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I'd have considered "throw away my television," but it's the magic machine that let's me see Adrian Grenier's delectable face on Entourage. So stovetop-cleaning it was.

Posted by: musicgeek | April 8, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

maybe the producers are coming up with stupid stunts like the one pictured above in hopes she'll get maimed, or better yet, quit.

Posted by: b | April 8, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'M LUCKY, THE FOURTH HOUR I CHANGE TO REGIS
AND KELLY, , 3HRS TODAY I HR REGIS AND KELLY, GREAT SCHEDULE

Posted by: JACK JOFFE | April 8, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

That's "lucky" in the same sense that switching from "waterboarding" to "electrocuting the genitals" is "lucky."

And *that* would merit shouting in one's post.

Posted by: byoolin | April 8, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

watching any hour of the today show is agony.amazing the people who are paid millions for having no talent,smarts or even looks.---today used to be a news show,now it is just a boring entertainment rag.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 8, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

It's not so much the cleaning the stove with the toothbrush as what you're gonna do with that toothbrush afterwards.

If it's sticking it back in my mouth, then no. If it's sticking it in Kathie Lee's mouth, then yes CLEAN AWAY!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 8, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

i was starting to feel sorry for KL, what with kelly ripa being a hugely successful replacement to her, and then tom shales' mean review. so i turned on the 4th hour of today. there sat KL with hota (who?), yammering about some video of teenage girls beating the crap out of each other. it was bad. very bad. i think i caught about 90 seconds before i gouged out my eyes. good thing i know how to type without looking at the keyboard!

Posted by: wats | April 8, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If you're gonna stick the toothbrush Kathie's mouth your gonna want those two pirate eye patches so you won't have to look at the faces she's gonna make.

Posted by: omni | April 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Thank God I have to work while she's on the air, so I can't watch. I can only think that the Today Show's 4H demographic must be drastically different from Celebritology's. Otherwise, a 13% (as of this posting) vote in favor of KLG would not seem to merit her return to AM TV.

Posted by: fft5305 | April 8, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I would like to support the Hokie Hoda Kotb, but cannot tolerate the KathieLee-edness of it all.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that can't access the polls from work.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | April 8, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Anything beyond the first 20 mins of the Today show is unbearable. I've stooped to watching Fox Morning News-- at least I can get a traffic report.

Posted by: cj in gburg | April 8, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin "observes":

"It occurs to me that if you rotate the picture 90 degrees to the left, it looks very much like what Frank saw when Kody (or Kaptain&Koke or Kaligula or whatever the hell the kid's name is) was born."

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why they call that show, The View.

Posted by: Sasquatch | April 8, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The only reason I'm glad I work during the day - don't have to watch daytime commercial TV. I would rather clean the entire kitchen with a toothbrush than watch Kathie Lee, Rosie (UGH), the View, etc.

Posted by: WI | April 8, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I like Kathy Lee. Mornings for me are all about The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet at 9:00am and now The Kathy Lee and Hoda Kotb hour of the Today show at 10:00am. I am glad they made the show brand new, because I must say I never watched it before yesterday. I must admit though in the very early mornings I watch Eyewitness News This Morning and Good Morning America

Posted by: Jon | April 8, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of her. She is just plain untalented and awful. End of story.

Posted by: M. Staley | April 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

She already made a come-back about a month ago on the "Insider". They had made a big deal about her comeback, Also. What happened to her so called stardom on THAT entertainment show? Can you tell me...she just disappeared from it within a month. BTW She's on After Regis and by the fourth hour of Today, nobody cares so leave her alone.

Posted by: adrien | April 8, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I love all the lurkers that picked up this link via Google's "news" page...LOL...

Posted by: WDC 21113 | April 8, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

She's a drag, old news, unlikable - let her go!!!

Posted by: bj | April 8, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Good news is she thinks she is the reincarnation of Lucille Ball, complete with red locks, bad news is she's not funny, except unintentionally. NBC must miss Katie bad to bring that back onair.

Posted by: cd | April 8, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

You guys watch the Today show AT ALL?
Go to work, people! Take your kids out for a walk. Go back to bed. Daydream. Cook a nice meal. Do SOMETHING ELSE. My goodness, morning TV is dreadful!

Posted by: other liz | April 8, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

At 10 am, should I have been home today, I would have been torn between watching the 700 Club on ABC Family or the Sopranos rerun (edited for cable, but still good!) on A&E. If I flipped between the two, I would have been just as appalled as I would have by watching Kathie Lee Gifford, but with much better dialogue.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | April 8, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know what it is they're wearing on their feet. Anyone?

Posted by: Val C | April 9, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

Val C., they look like Poweriser brand jumping stilts.

"Poweriser: when you're a five-foot-nothing talking head who needs to see past your massed admirers. Poweriser - go jump off a stilt!"

Posted by: byoolin | April 9, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

horrors...........she's back.....didn't we have too much of her before.....like for 15 years or so? Thank goodness for Kelly. Away with Kathy L. Bet Matt is mortified. Hope this doesn't drive him to drink.

Posted by: maj | April 9, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

funny as hell. Many friends I met on a millionarie dating site called meetingwealthy think so too. They are successful men and women. We usually talk together.

Posted by: frankin | April 9, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Please get rid of Kathie Lee, I cannnot stand her, never liked her...I used to like Hoda, but now I change the channel when the both of them are on...It is one of the worst decisions the Today Show has ever made..I really hope they give her the "BOOT"

Posted by: TL | April 22, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

It wouldn't be as bad a show as it is, if Kathie Lee allowed Hoda to finish a sentence. It's awful the way she can't complete one thought without Kathie Lee jumping in and taking over.

Posted by: LW | April 29, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I turn the show off as soon as I hear her voice.

Posted by: sam i am | May 1, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Do you want to see good pics?,

Posted by: Nusaklo | May 4, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Try to look here and may be you find what do you want:,

Posted by: Petrovich | May 7, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse