Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/ 2/2008

Katie Holmes, Tomboy?

By Liz Kelly

Tom Cruise (or is it?) in October 2007. (Getty Images)

Katie Holmes is teasing us now, right? I really want to believe that her new haircut (see it here, we don't have rights to republish the picture ourselves) is a nod to Mia Farrow's "Rosemary's Baby" look. This theory runs something like this: Annoyed with all the comparisons made between her own shadowy Scientology birth of daughter Suri and Farrow's deliverance of the anti-Christ in the 1968 horror flick, Holmes is showing off her well-known penchant for ironic, Andy Kaufman-esque humor. She's embracing the mythology we've built up around her as the innocent offering to Tom Cruise's insatiable religiosity.

I'm sure that's it. But if not, there's another possible explanation: She's sending us a message. She's shorn her once-luxurious mane in a bid to alert us to her desperation. This, her sacrifice tells us, is my cry for help. Like Britney Spears before me, I will self-mutilate until someone steps in to reassemble my life. I, too, long for a "How I Met Your Mother" cameo.

Then, of course, there's the third, most chilling possibility: Katie Holmes is slowly being subsumed by Tom Cruise. The longer she's in his presence, the shorter her hair (and her chances for a viable career) gets. Over at Best Week Ever, in fact, speculation runs high that Katie's new look is part of some conspiracy to turn Katie and Tom into one person. Which runs parallel to my theory that Kirstie Alley and John Travolta are also the same person. (You never see them together, do you?)

Or, maybe it's just a haircut.

Nah.

---

By Liz Kelly  | April 2, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TomKat
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Beyonce & Jay-Z Headed to the Altar?
Next: Morning Mix: Bobby Brown Says Whitney Drove Him to Drugs

Comments

And yet another theory, Katie's a young mom and maybe having short hair is just a bit easier?

Posted by: ckf | April 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

first!
wish there was a better picture... it's hard to tell how the new cut looks.

i vote for it being the first step total assimilation as TomKat, one person.

she should check under her bed and in her basement for pods.

Posted by: b | April 2, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I used to love her look with the long, thick locks, and the sunglasses propped on her head keeping it out of her face. She looked real, like someone might have had a class with (and who I would have wished I could muster the courage to ask out). Now...I miss the hair.

Posted by: 23112 | April 2, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

My sister has the same haircut and is going to be furious that Katie has it now too (and the legions that will do anything a star does).

It's cute - she can work it, being such a waif.

Posted by: mdem | April 2, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ckf | April 2, 2008 11:10 AM

That's way too logical. What would be the point of this blog if we thought logical? I think she's slowing turning into Tom, by this time next year, there will actually be a TomKat.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can tell a darned thing how it really looks from the photo. But it is attached to Tomkat, so I'm predisposed to not liking it.

What I really dislike about Katie is that smirk she has in nearly every photo. It looks like she is saying, "Ha ha, I have Tom. He is Awesome! I have him, not you!" Barf. It doesn't matter when or where the photos are taken - it began back in their early days, pre-engagement, pre-Suri.

Posted by: glebe | April 2, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

right ckf - and since she is not allowed to tell Suri "no", the new short do provides less opportunity for the baby to pull momm's hair right out of her head!

Posted by: sunnydaze | April 2, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

could we wildly speculate that maybe, just maybe, Katie is an adult woman who married whom she wanted, loves him, and is acting out of her own free will? Do we have to assume the woman is controlled by the man? That she is a poor victim? The whole Katie-is-a-victim thing is getting really tired. And sexist.

Posted by: JoeInMD | April 2, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Is it sexist? Maybe. The only reason I'm inclined to disagree is the fact that in the same breath that Katie is called a victim, Tom is called a crazed looney. So judgment going down on all sides.

Posted by: sjcpeach | April 2, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

IF Katie were not followed by a scientology "minder" everywhere. IF Tom did not (allegedly) pick which movies she appears in. IF she were allowed contact with her non-scientology family and friends. I might believe that she is an adult woman acting through her own free will. But, since she is not, I believe there is some strong control issues going on and it is not just a simple haircut.

Posted by: ep | April 2, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

but we don't KNOW these things! They are all rumors. Her family and friends seem happy she is happy.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

No kidding, she looks just like Tom in that picutre. Wow that's some haircut.

Posted by: petal | April 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

tom always wanted to be taller....

Posted by: b | April 2, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I feel silly for never having known the word "subsume" before. I like it! I'm going to use it all day.

I don't like the hair. Rosemary meets Molly from "Ghost", with Katie's cherubic face...strange.

Posted by: trumance | April 2, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Between the short hair and the emaciated, protruding cheekbones look, she is starting to look like the Mission Impossible II era Tom. Well, at least she didn't get his recent Hitler haircut.

Posted by: Jim | April 2, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Could it be a wig?

Posted by: pnina | April 2, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

When I first saw it (what you can see of it) I immediately thought of Audrey Hepburn. If she is going to meld with anyone, I would hope it would be someone with the style and grace (and good manners) of Ms. Hepburn.

I could be wrong. But come to think of it, isn't there a magic act where the assistant dresses up to look like the magician in order to distract and fool the audience? It may be been an April Fools prank. One wishes.

Posted by: BeachGirl | April 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

As as posted in the Morning Mix, my hairdresser says major hair changes are telling. Yes, Katie Holmes might be telling us that she's the mom of a toddler and she wants to make her life easier, but she's got millions and millions of dollars to make her life easier she didn't have to take a hatchet to her hair to do that. She might be telling us she thinks a change would do her good, but isn't having a career that was going places to a career that is stalled in Nowheresville enough of a change?
Nah, I think Katie is telling us that she's bored out of her gourd being wife of her dream come true and not getting/doing decent work. (Remember 'Pieces of April'? She was good.) Grow it out, Katie. Grow it out long and lustrous and get your agent on the phone and find yourself a nice, meaty role to play. And don't ask Tom what he thinks.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Katie must be getting sick of living a lie...Tom Cruise is the modern Rock Hudson.

FREE KATIE!!!

Posted by: Mike Hunt | April 2, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Grow schmoe, that's what extensions are for nowadays!

Could it also be for an upcoming role?

I was just thinking about who were my teenybopper crushes growing up & if I'd married him what would've happened.

Let's see....first it was Speed Racer, then Donny Osmond & David Cassidy, then Leif Garrett.

Wow. The only one out of that group that seems halfway sane is Speed Racer & even he had sibling issues!

Posted by: Bored @ work | April 2, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Lisa1, bad news. Mr. Gutenberg has five movies currently in post-production.

Posted by: omni | April 2, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I still say many people are threatened by women with short hair. I have a sneaking suspicion that short hair for Katie is just easier. And let's face it, it looks a heck of a lot better than Travolta's.

Posted by: possum | April 2, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Wait! What about Tom's teeth? He looks like he just ate Matt Lauer for breakfast in that photo.

Posted by: possum | April 2, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

She looks very much like a boy, now -- probably something that Tom Cruise is glad of ;)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Katie is trying to look like Tom because Tom is trying to look like Mike Myers.

Posted by: blah | April 2, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Katie's hair in the photo doesn't look any shorter than the bob style she has had for months. The hair was just pulled behind her ear. Now if she looked like Janine Turner that would be something to talk about.

Posted by: Woodbridge | April 2, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I am sure glad my husband doesn't control me, or thinks that I should get the same haircut he has (he's bold!) ha ha... :-)

Posted by: Rana | April 2, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

But Janine Turner looked way better in her Northern Exposure days.

Anything's better than those bangs. Those were just awful. (and I think Woodbridge is right, it's just the bob pushed behind her ear and the bangs pushed to the side, otherwise she's totally got some mullet action going on.)

Posted by: MB | April 2, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I thought she was sporting a mullet too, MB! Wouldn't that be awesome. They could totally go live in Milwaukee.

Posted by: methinks | April 2, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It looks like a wig.....

Posted by: KMC | April 2, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe she's playing a Vulcan?

Posted by: Amy F. | April 2, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

He new cut probably facilitates Theta Wave reception.

Posted by: Sasquatch | April 2, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

She's class and beautiful. Short hair for moms like me is less maintenance.Holmes said this on Extra. Plus she had long hair since high school.

Posted by: Marinelle | April 2, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

anonymous @1:49 pm - I scrolled through the messages looking for something similar to what you pointed out. I was shocked that this wasn't everyone's first thought!

Dude looks like a Lady (er, other way 'round).

Posted by: con-e | April 2, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Katie Holmes' life choices, for sure, but I do like her stylishness. She is, to use an old-fashioned term, a "fashion plate". I hated her uncombed, messy long hair, and LOVE the new short 'dos.

That said, it is possible Tom-Crazy is trying to make her into ... him.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

My hairstylist said she gets at least one request PER DAY for a bob like Posh Spice's/Katie Holmes'. Bobs are THE thing now, so maybe Stepford Katie wanted to be a little different.

After all, her hair is probably the ONLY thing in her life she is still in control of. sort of.

Her family and friends are happy for her? Really? Remember that article about Scientolocrazies and how everyone associated with them is deathly afraid to speak out? If Katie's family spoke up they'd probably end up dead, like that guy who tried to blackmail Tom Cruise. I'm frankly surprised Andrew Morton is still alive, but I understand he's in hiding.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate the cut on Katie, but I keep looking at the picture of Tom and wondering what is under the hair. Doesn't the top of his head seem awfully domed? Almost cone-shaped?

Posted by: Grimm | April 2, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

It's not her fault. Tom Cruise is a special kind of crazy. Just ask Jonathan Coulton, who wrote a song on that very subject.

Tom Cruise Crazy

Tom Cruise is so in love with Katie
At least all his people tell him so
And while he thinks that she's a very special lady
It's probably not the way he'd choose to go

But a lifetime of longing looks would cause too much distraction
Good thing that he's not gay anymore

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise crazy
Just be glad it's him, not you
If you had Tom Cruise's troubles
You might be Tom Cruise crazy, too
You'd flash your big white shiny smile
And buy expensive shoes
But you'd be the only man on Earth who couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise, oh no
You couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise is always getting older
He knows he'll never be that young again
And when Tom Cruise looks back over his shoulder
He sees a thousand younger leading men

He knows someday he'll have to play
An old, retarded grandpa
While someone younger plays his sexy son

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise crazy
Just be glad it's him, not you
If you had Tom Cruise's troubles
You might be Tom Cruise crazy, too
You'd flash your big white shiny smile
And buy expensive shoes
But you'd be the only man on Earth who couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise, oh no
You couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise hopes somewhere there's a place for him
Because he's not of this world anymore

Somewhere in some secluded castle
Poor Tom Cruise sits staring at the wall
And the outside world is always such a hassle
Sometimes he won't go out at all

There are millions who know his name
Everybody loves him
Why is it that he feels so alone?

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise crazy
Just be glad it's him, not you
If you had Tom Cruise's troubles
You might be Tom Cruise crazy, too
You'd flash your big white shiny smile
And buy expensive shoes
But you'd be the only man on Earth who couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise, oh no
You couldn't enjoy Tom Cruise

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

FREAKATIE

FREE TOM!

He's been robbed if he paid her!

Poor Tom, he needs Penelope, he was so happy and fine with her, now he look so sad, even when Germany hand him a Courageous award.
Don't beleive me? google it!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Here is a better picture of her haircut from the folks at people.com. It is just a slightly shorter bob than before. I guess people noticed when she combed it back.

Posted by: NAJ | April 2, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Tom is AMAZING!, Katie looks classy like Audrey Hepburn!

Posted by: Not one of a legion of crazy sock puppets | April 2, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Another theory: Katie is now a pod person.

Posted by: LLL | April 2, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I can only conclude that you all are blind.

Posted by: omni | April 3, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Put me on with the "short hair is easier when one has a little baby" theory. Nothing more, plus, if I could rock that cut I would.

Posted by: jelo | April 3, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Her hair looks fine, and she probably thinks it goes with her new wife and mother image. But I am with whoever said they hate the smirk she wears in every photo. What is up with that?

Posted by: Ame | April 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, Germany was in the process of banning Tiny Tom's "religion" of Scientology, because it's a money-making scam that brainwashes its members.

RUN KATIE RUN!!!

Posted by: Josef Goebbels | April 3, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The majority of American women are so boring with their hair. Soon enough it goes grey and thins considerably. Get a good stylist like Katie did and have a bit of fun with your hair. stylist

Posted by: WashDC | April 4, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Turning into the 18 y.o. boy he really wants...

Posted by: tgf | April 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Have you heard that Katie is in talks to be on Broadway?

Posted by: Bryan | April 7, 2008 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise is a deadset wanker.......I used to think he was great, a good likable person. Now I can't stand the guy ever since he and Katie Holmes got together he has turned into such and ego manic idiot....why....cause he got the girl at the bottom of his list....had a baby....he has lost all creditability. Beam him up and spare us all.

Posted by: Sue | April 9, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse